• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Defense Force 6 on Steam requires an Epic Games Account to play, game gets review bombed

Varteras

Pc8BtfA.jpeg

Toons

Is this even something gamers get made about now? Having to make an account?

When did that become an issue lol. I've certainly never been bothered by it

One of the big reasons I keep going back and forth on whether or not consoles will exist in 30 years revolves around how foreign developers will continue to implement systems and/or requirements that constantly piss of steam users.

Holammer

Majuxkz.jpeg

Looks like they're working on changes.

Well if they do remove it then why was it needed in the first place?

Why isn't getting people's money enough without having to push them towards signing up for your service? (doesn't matter if it's free)

Comandr

Majuxkz.jpeg

Review bombing certainly gets the message across. Make a good product and people won’t have anything to complain about. Don’t lie. Hide the truth. Don’t be greedy. It seems simple enough to me.

StereoVsn

Review bombing certainly gets the message across. Make a good product and people won’t have anything to complain about. Don’t lie. Hide the truth. Don’t be greedy. It seems simple enough to me.
Yep, all the people in this thread pushing back against customers who don’t want bullshit from these companies. That’s ridiculous.

This is another example where it shows why customers should push back against BS. And also why Steam Reviews are great.

Yep, all the people in this thread pushing back against customers who don’t want bullshit from these companies. That’s ridiculous.

This is another example where it shows why customers should push back against BS. And also why Steam Reviews are great.
Console players priorities the survival of their console because they are on ships that can sink. PC gamers don't give a flying baloney on defending anybody if they get mad enough. PC gamers are just maintaining the standard expectation that you need to keep them HAPPY, and simple tricks don't work.

EPIC just doesn't understand that you can't force PC gamers to buy from them. And you sure as fuck can't TRICK them. Just offer a better service. If you can't then you lose.

One day Fortnite would die. It can be tomorrow, it could be 10 years from now. When that happens, Epic as a whole would fall like Blizzard did.

StereoVsn

Console players priorities the survival of their console because they are on ships that can sink. PC gamers don't give a flying baloney on defending anybody if they get mad enough. PC gamers are just maintaining the standard expectation that you need to keep them HAPPY, and simple tricks don't work.

EPIC just doesn't understand that you can't force PC gamers to buy from them. And you sure as fuck can't TRICK them. Just offer a better service. If you can't then you lose.

One day Fortnite would die. It can be tomorrow, it could be 10 years from now. When that happens, Epic as a whole would fall like Blizzard did.
Personally I don’t like EGS and Tim Epic alongside that. And yes usually PC players are vociferous vs consoles as they have better outlet for they with Steam.

However this particular issue has been caused by the developers by not revealing these requirements to folks. And of course also knowing that this will cause issues with Steam Deck which sold a few million units to .. Steam users.

So this isn’t even the usual Epic shenanigans, this is pure stupidity on part of the devs. They should have disclosed this, but decided to take pre-order money or hoped shit will slip through.

Personally I don’t like EGS and Tim Epic alongside that. And yes usually PC players are vociferous vs consoles as they have better outlet for they with Steam.

However this particular issue has been caused by the developers by not revealing these requirements to folks. And of course also knowing that this will cause issues with Steam Deck which sold a few million units to .. Steam users.

So this isn’t even the usual Epic shenanigans, this is pure stupidity on part of the devs. They should have disclosed this, but decided to take pre-order money or hoped shit will slip through.
The reason the requirements were hidden was to obviously hide bad press. But PC gamers don't take that lying down, you can't expect this to get buried. An attempt at deception was made and they get called out on it. Be honest from the beginning is the lesson here. EDF devs are Japanese and i do not expect them to know much about PC gaming. I hope they get burned and learn a valuable lesson.

Last edited:

Drew1440

Usually if a launcher is able to remain signed in then I'm fine with that, but Origin and Rockstar always require me to manually enter the username and password despite clicking on 'Remember Me', and then you have to go through all the verification and Captcha crap before you can sign in. So I can understand why people hate these launchers.

StereoVsn

Usually if a launcher is able to remain signed in then I'm fine with that, but Origin and Rockstar always require me to manually enter the username and password despite clicking on 'Remember Me', and then you have to go through all the verification and Captcha crap before you can sign in. So I can understand why people hate these launchers.
Launchers and these separate accounts inevitably break Steam Deck games as nobody bothers to update shit for compatibility.

I didn’t have many issues with ME Legendary edition at first on Steam Deck, but down the line with launcher updates it became harder to run.

It will be the same with this game in a year or two. Meh, will try the game on a cheap sale or in a bundle down the line. I am really tired of this crap.

DaGwaphics

This will break steam deck support and eventually the game itself like many MS games and Ubisoft games that never got patched and require old ass versions of Uplay or G4WL.

It’s not just whining for nothing.

Good point. There is really no reason to require a second login, these companies should be able to link together on the backend for data collection and that kind of thing. At least then it is a one time thing to link your accounts together.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Was this feature/requirement known before launch? It’s an incredibly dumb thing to do if they tried to hide it.

Personally I hate when companies pull this shit, from EA to Take 2 to Ubi to Sony and so on.

Shit starts breaking on Steam Deck too.

Edit: For me, this game went from “pick up after getting good technical impressions” to pick up for $20 in a year for two.

I do the same for EA, Ubi, and other similar titles with similar requirements.

It was not known before launch. More specifically, it was not known before launch AND while preorders were being made. The game released on July 25th. This is what the Steam page looked like on July 25th a few hours before release:

ThEGkrD.png

Source:
Code:
https://web.archive.org/web/20240725083601/https://store.steampowered.com/app/2291060/EARTH_DEFENSE_FORCE_6/

This is what the Steam page looked like on July 25th just 30 minutes after release:

ohqAl00.png

Source:
Code:
https://web.archive.org/web/20240725113756/https://store.steampowered.com/app/2291060/EARTH_DEFENSE_FORCE_6/

If they didn't allow preorders I wouldn't say it is a big deal. But if you're going to allow preorders, then you need to be keeping people informed of what they're preordering. That was a scummy tactic.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It was not known before launch. More specifically, it was not known before launch AND while preorders were being made. The game released on July 25th. This is what the Steam page looked like on July 25th a few hours before release:

ThEGkrD.png

Source:
Code:
https://web.archive.org/web/20240725083601/https://store.steampowered.com/app/2291060/EARTH_DEFENSE_FORCE_6/

This is what the Steam page looked like on July 25th just 30 minutes after release:

ohqAl00.png

Source:
Code:
https://web.archive.org/web/20240725113756/https://store.steampowered.com/app/2291060/EARTH_DEFENSE_FORCE_6/

If they didn't allow preorders I wouldn't say it is a big deal. But if you're going to allow preorders, then you need to be keeping people informed of what they're preordering. That was a scummy tactic.
Yep, agree. They were probably hoping this would fly under the radar and returns won’t outweigh extra pre-orders they could get.

Scammy AF.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

ThEGkrD.png

Source:
Code:

ohqAl00.png

Source:
Code:

Clearly they were trying to hide this until the very last minute so they deserve all the grief they are getting. Ironic that EDF6 has a small "defense force" of its own here.

Skifi28

Game X got review bombed on steam, wow

Like I've said before, it'd be far more efficient to make threads for the games that aren't.

Toons

Is any negative feedback now considered a "review bomb"? What's invalid about these reviews? .

That they arent reviewing the game and didn't play it and are using the review section to voice some greviance with a business practice, which it was not intended for.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Good to see it's not just Sony games getting this treatment. Also to add, if these logins allow cross progression/saves etc I'm fine with it

N30RYU

I have a steam deck and the first thing I did was to include Epic, Prime Gaming, Xbox Cloud and every game launcher I have games on.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I could see a scenario where they at least ask devs to include that it "requires a 3rd party launcher for _______" somewhere on the game's store page. At least I'd like to see that, but I'm sure they won't do anything. I'm actually pretty surprised that we haven't seen something like that yet though, considering the requirement to do such a thing has never really been viewed in a positive light. Then again, the outcome falls on the game/devs/pub, not Steam. So they're probably like, "Hey, whatever, we're getting ours." lol.
They do, but it’s further down the page below the purchase options and game info, so it could be missed. I know because I recently bought AC Origins and it had 3rd-party login and EULA agreement warnings.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

That they arent reviewing the game and didn't play it and are using the review section to voice some greviance with a business practice, which it was not intended for.
Reviewing a product they bought is the intended use of a user review. An undesirable third party account requirement is 100% part of the product and completely fair grounds for costumer insatisfaction.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

A "business practice" involving this very game. Not like this is about something completely unrelated to EDF6. And every review is from someone who bought the game so if they use their ability to review this game to highlight something like this to inform other potential buyers then I say that is a good thing. The alternative is game publishers will continue to do shady shit like this without repercussions. Meanwhile, there are plenty of reviews talking about the game itself so folks who want information about how people feel about the game can easily read those reviews as well.

MiguelItUp

They do, but it’s further down the page below the purchase options and game info, so it could be missed. I know because I recently bought AC Origins and it had 3rd-party login and EULA agreement warnings.
True, but I think it would be better to explain how and why, at least for a lot of these players. They probably needed it bolded and colored too, lol.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
True, but I think it would be better to explain how and why, at least for a lot of these players. They probably needed it bolded and colored too, lol.
Thing is, the notice wasn't there until a few hours after release. Everyone who preordered the game had no possible way of knowing about the Epic requirement.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Majuxkz.jpeg

Once again PC gamers use their voice to enact change for the better, while console owners question why they aren’t licking boots like they do.

Maybe Earth Defense Force on PlayStation should require an Xbox account, since you see no problem with it.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Ah, well, yeah, that isn't really the best route to take, lol. They probably added it afterward as a last attempt at damage control.
It could've very easily been an oversight. There is no upside to omitting that information deliberately.

STARSBarry

Gold Member

Oh man imagine thinking that the review score on a STORE FRONT was there to discuss the many nuances of a games experience like a professional critic, instead of, you know, a review of the product that they bought on the storefront that they bought it from.

I can't wait to read about the delicate curves and a break down of the artistic expression in the manual of my Dyson hoover next time I'm on amazon.

Why do people keep coming back with the same brain dead response every time. Want a review about a game? Read a fucking magazine.

Want a review of a product? Read the reviews on the store that sells them.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Like I've said before, it'd be far more efficient to make threads for the games that aren't.

Which is most games.

Also to add, if these logins allow cross progression/saves etc I'm fine with it

In which case they should state so up front and it should be opt in. Personally I couldn't give a shit about cross save/progression in most cases, and I don't want to have to deal with the extra log-ins on top of steam so I'd welcome an option to not have to deal with it.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Kinda weird for the account to be needed and weird to review bomb for it.

I bet most of the folks already have epic accounts for the free games.
Imagine trying to play a playstation 5 game.
And it’s telling you to turn on or buy a ps5 official camera so sony can monitor you taking a shit on your dualsense controller before actually being able to play your game.

Three

Imagine trying to play a playstation 5 game.
And it’s telling you to turn on or buy a ps5 official camera so sony can monitor you taking a shit on your dualsense controller before actually being able to play your game.
You don't need to buy anything though and funnily enough this crap does happen with Activision and Call of Duty on PS. I bought it, came home Activision account sign up required.

Last edited:
Top Bottom