• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

i'm going to post an out of context non-plot thing here; if you've played, i guess it's a spoiler, but if you haven't, it isn't:
yes, you do wait for three minutes. no, it's not a joke.

Hehe, that still cracks me up. I can imagine the frustration it will cause for some. "y can't metroid crawl?"

zroid

Banned
I've been waiting for this for so long. Probably the one SNES title I missed, which I've most wanted to try.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
First time player.
Here we go.
BPd-kWOCAAQguLu.jpg

Tiktaalik

Pretty good OP, but I think we could improve it a bit.

It's good to have a light and breezy tone, but I think it would be helpful, without going overboard and writing an essay, to be a bit more informative about who Shigesato Itoi is and why the game is considered to be extremely good, well written and well worth playing.

This is a really good opportunity to draw in new fans of the series, and I don't think the current first post really explains why the game is interesting, relevant or special in any way.

Into

Pretty good OP, but I think we could improve it a bit.

It's good to have a light and breezy tone, but I think it would be helpful, without going overboard and writing an essay, to be a bit more informative about who Shigesato Itoi is and why the game is considered to be extremely good, well written and well worth playing.

This is a really good opportunity to draw in new fans of the series, and I don't think the current first post really explains why the game is interesting, relevant or special in any way.

Hmm maybe having links to HappyVideoGameNerd and 16 Bit Gems that really examine the history of the game:

Happy Video Game Nerd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4AictvRdU

Clan of the Grey Wolf:
History of the game:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvyb_oNybOI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHKnwAihIro
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enx7nXRHcJw

They are not reviews, as much as they are retrospectives and love letters to the game and its creator (they do contain spoilers though for your new people)

Why the T rating? It was K-A originally, and was re-rated E five years ago when Nintendo was considering a Wii VC release.

i'm going to post an out of context non-plot thing here; if you've played, i guess it's a spoiler, but if you haven't, it isn't:
yes, you do wait for three minutes. no, it's not a joke.
That was so weird when I encountered it.

Is it rather hard?
In Onett and a bit of Twoson, yes.

After that, not quite so much. It's not easy, but I haven't Game Over'd in a good while. (I'm only just past Moonside.)

Calamari41

41 > 38
Being severely under-leveled and out of money in Threed was quite the experience the first time I played this game. Running for your life and getting the shit kicked out of you constantly really adds to the atmosphere of the area, and made it a huge relief when I finally managed to make it to (the next area)
Saturn Valley

MisterHero

People complain about $10, but I would pay full price for a remake with clay models and shit. This release may make that possible someday!

Bladenic

When I played it I was kind of surprised by the difficulty. I remember reading that it was as easy as Chrono Trigger, and I definitely found it way harder. It's not, like, really hard or anything. But it's not super easy either. There are some tough areas and hard bosses in the game.

I had no idea this was coming out so soon, I thought this was a fall release. Not that I'm complaining mind you.

Guess I'll finally know get to know who Ness is after all those years of using him in Smash Brothers 64.

mileS

First timer here! Huge fan of oldschool RPG's but theres a select few SNES games I haven't had a chance to play yet. This, and FF3/FF6. It's on the wii virtual console but Im holding out for a possible Wii U release? is that dumb? what are the chances? I know I could switch it to Wii mode and play it but I like the idea of the Wii U games letting you play on the pad as well more.

I'm going to try and post some impressions from a first timer here in the next few days. Got a $20 eShop card sitting here. So I'll grab this and another game i'm ashamed to admit I haven't had the joy of playing yet. Super Metroid.

JohnsonUT

Is this a straight dump or have they removed the rumored copyright songs?

Do the massive frame drops remain as you approach happy valley?

Chojin

My favorite game of all time. I held back on my yearly Earthbound run due to the announcement a few months back.

5pm end of shift cannot come sooner.

Thank you Nintendo. Thank you (sobs).

zroid

Banned
This ended up making my decision for me. Redeemed my $30 credit on Wii U just to buy EarthBound. Was probably going to spend it on the new StreetPass games otherwise.

The guide is in actual images:

1.jpg

Just change the number and you get the other pages.

Weird they didn't just give us the original digital source and just scanned the guide, maybe they long lost them, they obviously existed.

Now I want one for Pokemon RB, my first guide ever and taught me lots about Pokemon initially.

Velinos

I couldn't find any info on this anywhere, but is this Wii U VC only or is Earthbound also available on Wii VC as well?

Dave Long

Banned
I am super excited. I sold the original to many happy customers while working at Electronics Boutique in 1995. I didn't get it myself because I just didn't know much about it at the time. That big box was intriguing, though!

Knowing how well received it is all these years later and of course not being willing to plunk down $200 for a cart, I am extremely happy to be able to play it for a reasonable price and know who the hell Ness final is other than a cool Smash Bros. character.

Pappasman

I was able to get the SNES cart and play it last year. I fucking love this game with all of my heart. Super happy that everyone now has a chance to play it.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I am legitimately excited for the people who are playing this for the very first time… It really is the most magical experience I've ever had playing a videogame.

Enjoy folks!

I know that there are lots of "10 bucks? What a rip off!" types of people out there, but it's the best game on Wii U (or almost every other console out there too) right now by far. BUY BUY BUY

MisterHero

Time to buy this and beat it again. Maybe this time around I can get
Poo's Sword of Kings.
Back then I was willing to spend time grinding for such spoils, but too much only makes the game easier. The other big treasure
the Gutsy Bat
is still a challenge I suppose.

daffy

Banned
Anyone else awaiting newcomer thoughts on (Threed to Fourside spoiler)
that goddamned bus driver leaving you to die of heatstroke. I hated that bastard. But I got to meet those interracial sesame seeds so it was actually ok..

Should be good muahahahah

Top Bottom