• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

GulAtiCa

Earthbound is, hands-down, one of my all-time favorite games. However, I just can't understand a Wii-U release only. Why no 3DS support? Or, even to a lesser extent, Wii? Nintendo baffles my mind with these decisions. They could make so much more by painting this game on their other platforms.

Why would it come to Wii? That system is dead and has now been replaced. Besides the Neo Geo VC, there hasn't been a VC release on Wii in a long time. Also why on 3DS? 3DS has no SNES VC games.

meppi

I just hope this games sells well enough so that Nintendo feels it can justify translating and releasing Mother 3 on the 3DS in the future.
They have done this in the past, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is what they a doing now as well.

Just about top start it for the very first time! :)

guys, beware... a mod just closed the whinning thread... so expect the usual brigade to arrive here soon.
I have a feeling they won't last long in here. ;)
Just make sure to not invite them in here by bringing that topic over into this thread and it'll be just fine.

Like many others, words can't express how happy I am that it's finally here and acknowledged after all this time. And it's such good timing, as I JUST beat EarthBound 2 for the first time 2 weeks ago, and have been listening to EB music nonstop since. Can't wait to get home, buy it, and send money to a few friends so they can buy it too!

JaseMath

Why would it come to Wii? That system is dead and has now been replaced. Besides the Neo Geo VC, there hasn't been a VC release on Wii in a long time. Also why on 3DS? 3DS has no SNES VC games.

All of my VC titles are via the Wii. I'm in the minority, but I'm not buying any VC titles on the Wii U simply because I'm not a sucker and I'll essentially have two separate libraries.

Stoof

Gonna download this when I get home, I think I have $5 from the digital download promotion.

I've never played any of the Mother games so this should be a fun time!

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Have they changed the text at all or was this in the original game? xD
zlCfzRDfp_AGIOfoTT

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAACNUKEXiDmcTw?sctw=1

DJ88

Holy Shiiiit! I don't know how I missed the news of the release date for this, never saw a thread or anything in the VC thread, when was it date announced? Oh well just makes today even sweater! Wake up, check gaf, Earthbound OT? Could it be? Release date 18th, YES!

Nemesis_

Holy Shiiiit! I don't know how I missed the news of the release date for this, never saw a thread or anything in the VC thread, when was it date announced? Oh well just makes today even sweater! Wake up, check gaf, Earthbound OT? Could it be? Release date 18th, YES!

Nobody knew. lol

Frodo

It was a stealth release, so you did not miss any news because there were none. :D

Stoof

I'm pretty sure nobody knew the release date and nintendo decided to quietly launch it :p

Tiktaalik

Pro Tips for newbies:

- The balance of Earthbound is such that regular enemies hit hard, but bosses aren't necessarily huge HP damage sponges. You may find you defeated a boss in two rounds. Always be cautious of regular encounters.
- The beginning of the game is tough, and a lot of people think you have to grind, but it is not necessary if you're cautious. Get the best armour. Have lots of hamburgers and watch your health closely. Regular enemies hit hard, and rats in the caves will frequently get critical attacks.
- You'll probably have to back out of the cave at least once before you're strong enough to get through it entirely.
- You can heal for free at your Mom's house.
- You can get a free hat (armour) early in Onett.
in the bushes north of the library. Walk around the edges until you find it
- Get cold medicine before you go to Happy Happy Valley in Twoson.
- If you get a status ailment go to the hospital. Talk to everyone.
- Talk to everyone in the game in general.
- Don't buy Yoyos. Their hit percentage is worse than regular weapons.
- Save often. Save after every boss. Don't advance any plot elements if you're weak and not prepared to fight someone.

MisterHero

Pro Tips for newbies:

- The balance of Earthbound is such that regular enemies hit hard, but bosses aren't necessarily huge HP damage sponges. You may find you defeated a boss in two rounds. Always be cautious of regular encounters.
This always made me scared of
Moonside
. :p

beanman25

Pro Tips for newbies:

- The beginning of the game is tough, and a lot of people think you have to grind, but it is not necessary if you're cautious. Get the best armour. Have lots of hamburgers and watch your health closely. Regular enemies hit hard, and rats in the caves will frequently get critical attacks.
- You'll probably have to back out of the cave at least once before you're strong enough to get through it entirely.
- Save often. Save after every boss. Don't advance any plot elements if you're weak and not prepared to fight someone.

Perfect tips man. Should help those on their first playthrough!

To those who know the game and have already bought and opened the VC version, have they made any alterations to the music?

I ask this because one of the reasons people speculated that they weren't releasing it was due to some copyright issues related to samples in the music.

Pro Tips for newbies:

- If you find a group of enemies on screen that you don't think you'll win against, walk a few screens away, and then walk back to reset the enemies on screen.

ASTROID2

Pro Tips for newbies:

Thanks. The Sharks are murdering me right now. lol

beanman25

Status report: Level 12 and just beat the Onett Police Force. Going to take a break, as I don't want to go to fast, haha.

Love this game every playthrough.

How do I access the guide on my gamepad?

Calamari41

41 > 38
If you're having trouble with the first dungeon:
the magic butterfly that you run into more than halfway through respawns every time you exit and enter that area. Use this to your advantage.

Coin Return

Loose Slot
Downloaded it earlier, but can't play until later. This was always the "big" SNES game I always regretted missing out on, so it's nice to finally be able to play it.

Tunic

So excited this came out! The day is finally here! I will start my replay of the game tonight once I get home from work.

MisterHero

If you're having trouble with the first dungeon:
the magic butterfly that you run into more than halfway through respawns every time you exit and enter that area. Use this to your advantage.
Yeah, most dungeons have a room like that. Similarly, you can potentially empty a room's enemies just by exiting and re-entering.

Edit: beaten

hlhbk

To those who know the game and have already bought and opened the VC version, have they made any alterations to the music?

I ask this because one of the reasons people speculated that they weren't releasing it was due to some copyright issues related to samples in the music.

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Joqu

Oh wow you haven't played it yet. That makes sense now. Lucky! You get to enjoy it for the first time.

Well here's a little thing about the history of the title that I just wrote... Maybe some other people can add onto this or perhaps write a different paragraph about what makes the gameplay itself interesting.

===========
Why the fuss?

Earthbound is a cult classic and one of the finest SNES JRPGs of the 90s era. Unfortunately the title was overshadowed at the time of its release by darkly serious and prettier games such as Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger. Game reviewers at the time looked at the simple style graphics, labelled it a kids game, didn't give it the attention it deserved and the title never took off saleswise.

What makes Earthbound a unique and special game is that its creator was not a traditional game developer. The game was directed and written by Shigesato Itoi, a talented and well known essayist independent of the Nintendo company. The big benefit of his collaboration with Nintendo is that Earthbound is considered to be one of the finest written games ever made, with witty and clever dialog and a scenario refreshingly different from typical JRPGs of the time.

Itoi isn't the only all star in this cast. The game features excellent music by Hip Tanaka and the struggling project (it took 5 years to develop) was bailed out at one point by all star genius programmer Satoru Iwata (yep the current president of Nintendo).

=====

Thanks for writing that, I'll make a new banner and add it! And yes, feel free to add to it everyone. :)

Protip: Instead of selecting Talk or Check individually from the A button menu, you can just press the L button to do both, depending on the situation. The L button also acts as the "confirm button" and Select acts as the "back button", allowing you to play EarthBound with just your left hand, and eat pizza with your right hand!

And I'll be adding this and the other tips too if that's okay.

Robin64

- Don't walk around with huge sums of money on you. Defeat in battle takes away half your current cash, but money in the bank is safe.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Top Bottom