• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Earth Bound or Chrono Trigger?

Which one is the better RPG?

I've always been more partial to EarthBound. CT is a fantastic game, but the way EB unfolds is just magical. The quirky nature of the vignettes, the sound stone melody, the characters...There really is no game out there that does what EB does for me.

Like I said, I am so excited for those who have never played it. The experience really is unforgettable.

Joqu

Pretty good OP, but I think we could improve it a bit.

It's good to have a light and breezy tone, but I think it would be helpful, without going overboard and writing an essay, to be a bit more informative about who Shigesato Itoi is and why the game is considered to be extremely good, well written and well worth playing.

This is a really good opportunity to draw in new fans of the series, and I don't think the current first post really explains why the game is interesting, relevant or special in any way.

I certainly agree that we should add something like that. I was going to! The thing is that I'm not really sure how to get around it to be honest. I have never actually played the game before you see! I'm a huge fan of Mother 3 and I have beaten EarthBound Zero too, but my experience of EarthBound is limited to the Japanese Brawl demo.

So can anyone here help me out?

And perhaps I should add some quotes of you guys explaining why EarthBound is special to you.
Hmm maybe having links to HappyVideoGameNerd and 16 Bit Gems that really examine the history of the game:

Happy Video Game Nerd:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ4AictvRdU

Clan of the Grey Wolf:
History of the game:
Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvyb_oNybOI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHKnwAihIro
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enx7nXRHcJw

They are not reviews, as much as they are retrospectives and love letters to the game and its creator (they do contain spoilers though for your new people)

See these videos are neat, but they aren't ideal for the newcomers really. I'm not sure if I should add them.

JB2448

zlCfzRDfdz4z_Bw92v

I never thought I'd see the day.

MrT-Tar

I've just downloaded it. I still can't believe that I'm in the U.K and am able to legally play, without importing, a Mother game.

The giant box it came in was what sold me when it came out at Blockbuster. I tried to finish this over a two day weekend rental but made it as far as a bit after getting the 4th character. The game really stuck with me and I beat it two or three times years later... the last time probably about seven years ago. Hell of a "story" game for me and it's not just nostalgia. It's written, and translated extremely well.

Favorite game of all time, just need to deposit some money and I'll be getting right back into it. I own the cartridge already, but the SNES isn't in my room so it'll be nice to have the convenience of being able to laze about in my room and play Earthbound :)

PBalfredo

HELL YEAH!

The day has finally came! Downloading it now.

The best part is it gives so many people who have never experienced EarthBound before a chance to play it. I want to hear from all the newcomers. Don't be shy.

Hey everyone, post what you name your party at the start of a new game!

Ghostofst4rm4n

Neo Member
The time has come.

The time is now!

This was a genuine surprise. I really did not expect to see this game until the end of the year.

Downloading now.

Joqu

Mato, the guy who translated Mother 3, has done a pretty interesting comparison between EarthBound and Mother 2, detailing changes made in the localization and things like that. There are spoilers, but it really shows off how good the localization is.

You can read it here.

Jarate

Banned
This should go in the op btw, because I know a ton of people who play this game and just try to speed through it

TALK TO ALL THE NPCS, THEY ALL HAVE SOMETHING FUNNY TO SAY

botty

Banned
I hate this game, but I am happy for the couple of people who finally get to enjoy it (again). I think i'll buy it, too, since it's such a novelty.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This is one of my most cherished gaming experiences.

You guys playing it for the first time are about to fall in love.

Tenki

Six months ago, I'd never thought this |OT| would be possible. Now... :D

But, arg, now I'm playing Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros and I have to buy this. And in a week, Pikmin 3. I don't have time lol

I'll buy this when I get home later today :)

Rich!

HELL YEAH!

The day has finally came! Downloading it now.

The best part is it gives so many people who have never experienced EarthBound before a chance to play it. I want to hear from all the newcomers. Don't be shy.

Hey everyone, post what you name your party at the start of a new game!

Same as on Mother 3:

Rich
Arse
Wanker
Batman

CTLance

Man, that Happy Videogame Nerd guy will have to redo his video a third time. Not that I am complaining, it was a very nice and pretty spoiler free dive into EB's history and background. Fun to see the "it's out on VC" comments sprouting up below it.

Thanks for linking that, Into.

Also, the guys at starmen.net are probably pretty happy right now, eh. Good on you. :)

1118002_o.gif

So happy EarthBound gets an official re-release! I actually considered buying a Wii U just to show my support. Once I get one, this will be the first game I get. Just thinking of playing this on the tablet controller is making me giddy.

PBalfredo

The beginning is super promising, I love the writing :) How old is this game again?

Came out in '94 in Japan, '95 in NA.

Just watched the eShop release trailer. I was expecting some half-minute montage some intern threw together. But holy crap they put some effort into it! Nice!

Well I know what I'm going to be doing all day. EarthBound? YES. Important adult stuff that's on my to-do list? T-O-O BAD!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Never played this game before, but I've heard so much about it.

Amazing fact from Twitter: it took 6900 days for this game to get an EU release.

Mlatador

Banned
Wow, now THIS is one premium Virtual Console release right there!

I wonder if this release will bring the insane prices for the original SNES version down (500 to 1000 I think) or even further increase it's value :)

Having the entire original players guide available on the Wii U Gamepad is also a pretty neat idea; I hope more future JRPG VC releases will offer this as an option.

Anyway, happy day, eh? ^-^

PBalfredo

Protip: Instead of selecting Talk or Check individually from the A button menu, you can just press the L button to do both, depending on the situation. The L button also acts as the "confirm button" and Select acts as the "back button", allowing you to play EarthBound with just your left hand, and eat pizza with your right hand!

Bladenic

Just watched the eShop release trailer. I was expecting some half-minute montage some intern threw together. But holy crap they put some effort into it! Nice!

Well I know what I'm going to be doing all day. EarthBound? YES. Important adult stuff that's on my to-do list? T-O-O BAD!

That trailer makes me want to replay the game despite playing it only 6 months ago.

Tiktaalik

I certainly agree that we should add something like that. I was going to! The thing is that I'm not really sure how to get around it to be honest. I have never actually played the game before you see! I'm a huge fan of Mother 3 and I have beaten EarthBound Zero too, but my experience of EarthBound is limited to the Japanese Brawl demo.

Oh wow you haven't played it yet. That makes sense now. Lucky! You get to enjoy it for the first time.

Well here's a little thing about the history of the title that I just wrote... Maybe some other people can add onto this or perhaps write a different paragraph about what makes the gameplay itself interesting.

===========
Why the fuss?

Earthbound is a cult classic and one of the finest SNES JRPGs of the 90s era. Unfortunately the title was overshadowed at the time of its release by darkly serious and prettier games such as Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger. Game reviewers at the time looked at the simple style graphics, labelled it a kids game, didn't give it the attention it deserved and the title never took off saleswise.

What makes Earthbound a unique and special game is that its creator was not a traditional game developer. The game was directed and written by Shigesato Itoi, a talented and well known essayist independent of the Nintendo company. The big benefit of his collaboration with Nintendo is that Earthbound is considered to be one of the finest written games ever made, with witty and clever dialog and a scenario refreshingly different from typical JRPGs of the time.

Itoi isn't the only all star in this cast. The game features excellent music by Hip Tanaka and the struggling project (it took 5 years to develop) was bailed out at one point by all star genius programmer Satoru Iwata (yep the current president of Nintendo).

=====

Earthbound is, hands-down, one of my all-time favorite games. However, I just can't understand a Wii-U release only. Why no 3DS support? Or, even to a lesser extent, Wii? Nintendo baffles my mind with these decisions. They could make so much more by painting this game on their other platforms.

Sendou

That's better trailer than some of their new releases get. Quite impressive actually.

This makes me genuinely happy! Still have my guidebook and am ready to go back to the wonderful world of this game. Haven't played it since the year it came out. Can't even recall where I sold it. But now it is mine again out of the blue! ^_^

Earthbound is, hands-down, one of my all-time favorite games. However, I just can't understand a Wii-U release only. Why no 3DS support? Or, even to a lesser extent, Wii? Nintendo baffles my mind with these decisions. They could make so much more by painting this game on their other platforms.

Well console for consoles and handheld for handheld made some kind of sense but then they released nes 3ds games. Earthbound is also an incentive to buy a wiiu now.

Top Bottom