• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

Btw, on Europeean Miiverse EarthBound now has the largest community of all the VC-titles. And it's growing by the day.

I know it's weird, but I wasn't really using the miiverse before and am suddenly using it all the time with this game. It's the perfect fit for this game for some reason - lots of funny moments in screenshots, people asking for tiny bits of help past difficult spots, and watching people's reaction to the zaniness. Basically this game made me fall in love with the Miiverse feature.

Davey Cakes

Continuing my replay. Just finished the mines in Dusty Dunes Desert.

What I've realized during this playthrough is that, while grinding might not be necessary, it's pretty damn easy. The battle system is quite efficient and you don't put a lot of time into combat. The process isn't dragged out. Plus there are several prime grinding areas in the game that you notice as you progress.

You're in for a treat if you come across caterpillars in the desert.

I think this is why the game works well as a starter RPG. If you pick your battles right, you can get a lot back for the time that you put in. And there's nothing quite as rewarding as when you hit a milestone level and your HP goes up by 25 points.

Raitaro

Ok, I gave up to trying to not buy and start playing EarthBound because of this thread...and by golly guys...

I LOVE IT!

I always knew I would as I'm very big on humor, clever writing and atmosphere - which this game has in spades. Glad to finally join the party after never having a chance to play it before here in Europe (as mentioned earlier, I came close to owning a mint in box copy for a reasonable price some years ago, but this would prove to be the one time that the Ebay gods were against me and decided to never deliver the game, nor to return my money...)

I've only just arrived in Twoson by the way, so I'll probably have a long (and fun) road ahead of me. I can't wait to get to all those interesting looking areas in the game's attract screen.

(And yes, the more I play this game, the more I start to share in the yearning for an officially localized version of Mother 3...in fact, the thought of us quite possible never getting that has been one of the reasons why I didn't want to get too attached to EarthBound...silly as that may sound. Please Big N, use the fan translation and release this game on the Wii U / 3DS VC as well...)

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Ok, I gave up to trying to not buy and start playing EarthBound because of this thread...and by golly guys...

I LOVE IT!

I always knew I would as I'm very big on humor, clever writing and atmosphere - which this game has in spades. Glad to finally join the party after never having a chance to play it before here in Europe (as mentioned earlier, I came close to owning a mint in box copy for a reasonable price some years ago, but this would prove to be the one time that the Ebay gods were against me and decided to never deliver the game, nor to return my money...)

I've only just arrived in Twoson by the way, so I'll probably have a long (and fun) road ahead of me. I can't wait to get to all those interesting looking areas in the game's attract screen.

(And yes, the more I play this game, the more I start to share in the yearning for an officially localized version of Mother 3...in fact, the thought of us quite possible never getting that has been one of the reasons why I didn't want to get too attached to EarthBound...silly as that may sound. Please Big N, use the fan translation and release this game on the Wii U / 3DS VC as well...)

There is a very well done fan-translation for Mother 3 though. I beat the game with it and even bought their handbook. Very very well done and totally retained the quirkiness of the original Earthbound.

Question for long-time EarthBound players!

I've played and beaten the game several times over the years, but it just dawned on me after passing this part again that I never worked out who exactly it is speaking to Ness when he
drinks his cups of coffee. Is there any official word on this? At the end of the first time it says, "I wish you luck..." I think I always thought it was Buzz-Buzz speaking from beyond the grave or something, but I don't know.

Or is it just one of those "up to your own interpretation" type things?

Also, I'm not sure if the above REALLY needed to be spoiler tagged, but better safe than sorry. This game is too special to inadvertently spoil for anyone.

According to Legends of Localization analysis, the Japanese text
during these segments says:
“May the goddess of good fortune smile upon you always.” As we’ve seen before, Nintendo of America didn’t allow certain religious vocabulary in their games, so this line was changed to the bland, “I wish you luck…”

So the text was personified by "I wish" as opposed to "May the goddess". So, it seems the intent was for it to be up to interpretation

I strongly recommend reading through this if you are a superfan like me:
http://legendsoflocalization.com/earthbound/saturn-valley/
Spoilers, obviously.

I'm in Threed, Paula is lv 15, has a acouple of empty equipment slots, has 70 HP, and is getting her ass kicked. I can't get very far without running out of MP to heal her or just having her die. What do I do? Grind?

Qurupeke

I'm in Threed, Paula is lv 15, has a acouple of empty equipment slots, has 70 HP, and is getting her ass kicked. I can't get very far without running out of MP to heal her or just having her die. What do I do? Grind?
I think that she's ok. On this part of the game, 3-4 levels behind Ness is fine.

KefkaTiMe

Neo Member

You do not stay in Threed for very long with just Paula. Power through the left grave yard and take a rest, you will meet a new friend soon enough.

Also, I do believe Paula should have something equipped in every slot at this point, either from the blue town or Threed.

One thing I've learned after playing this game a billion times is don't be afraid to use items. When I used to get a cool new item I would hold on to it forever waiting for the "right moment" to use it. Just use them. Helps so much. Also, don't be afraid to use your PP on reg battles. Explore your magic abilities vs normal enemies. This game has a way of making normal battle encounters turn into a near death situation, but if you start using your assist magic, and other offensive spells, it helps a lot.

Edit: On that note, spend spend spend.

Eusis

One thing I've learned after playing this game a billion times is don't be afraid to use items. When I used to get a cool new item I would hold on to it forever waiting for the "right moment" to use it. Just use them. Helps so much. Also, don't be afraid to use your PP on reg battles. Explore your magic abilities vs normal enemies. This game has a way of making normal battle encounters turn into a near death situation, but if you start using your assist magic, and other offensive spells, it helps a lot.

I think in general you should be using your magic on regular battles, and if a game's design heavily discourages it then they fucked up with the design.

It really is frustrating how many RPGs can be stingy about MP restoratives though.

Listen to this advice.

Just use your PP and items like crazy, spend all your cash to get the best stuff. Don't save for a rainy day!

Fandangox

Its really hard to be short of cash in this game, so its better to get over the habit of "rationing" your resources.

Its better to just go all out.

Robin64

This is a typo, right? Or something more?

zlCfzREojnE9Tg5mBX

I think in general you should be using your magic on regular battles, and if a game's design heavily discourages it then they fucked up with the design.

It really is frustrating how many RPGs can be stingy about MP restoratives though.

Most RPGs I have played condition people to not waste magic attacks on regular enemies. It's one of the big plusses about Earthbound, but it frustrates people who don't know any better.

Eusis

Most RPGs I have played condition people to not waste magic attacks on regular enemies. It's one of the big plusses about Earthbound, but it frustrates people who don't know any better.
Maybe it's just what I played recently but I actually haven't had this as much lately. Either they dump traditional MP, give some means of recharging, or just make it cheap enough to keep firing.

Maybe it's just what I played recently but I actually haven't had this as much lately. Either they dump traditional MP, give some means of recharging, or just make it cheap enough to keep firing.

You're probably right. It's been years since I've bought any new jrpgs.

Peagles

There's a typo...

Hint: it's on the first line. lol

Ahh.. turns out my brain comes with auto correct, lol.

I'm hoping to finish up Earthbound this weekend. Ness is 90 but I still feel too weak back in
Onett
. Jeff and Paula are only ~75 and Poo approaching ~70 I think. Should I grind or just push on?

Oh No I think my battery just died in my cartridge. No... no....
images

Haha, I feel your pain. I had the battery die out on me, and then I replaced it and beat the game, only to have the save data corrupt on me shortly after because I neglected to keep the contacts from getting dirty.

According to Legends of Localization analysis, the Japanese text
during these segments says:
“May the goddess of good fortune smile upon you always.” As we’ve seen before, Nintendo of America didn’t allow certain religious vocabulary in their games, so this line was changed to the bland, “I wish you luck…”

So the text was personified by "I wish" as opposed to "May the goddess". So, it seems the intent was for it to be up to interpretation

I strongly recommend reading through this if you are a superfan like me:
http://legendsoflocalization.com/earthbound/saturn-valley/
Spoilers, obviously.

Got it, thanks! Also, I never knew about this site! I'm going to devour everything here; I love stuff like this...

IrishNinja

sorry to hear bout your battery, man....

started my 3rd playthrough of this game, last one was...prolly mid 90's? just really good timing for the VC release for me, this is absolutely what i needed right now. so much of the optimism/social satire and general feeling are clicking that its a great deal more refreshing than i even recall when i fell in love with it decades ago.

not gonna lie, save states take the edge off a lot too

Just got to the moment in Fourside where
Paula gets kidnapped, and I've talked to Everdred and about to hit Moonside

I forgot how much of a jump those fucking enemies
in the department store
are compared to everything else. Thank god I had a bunch of extra big bottle rockets on Jeff.

Mask

I don't know why I couldn't keep myself interested in this game before, it's so good! I don't think any other RPG has managed to make me feel
so much like a god when I get above that certain level that lets me steamroll the enemies for earlier areas. That feel of watching the enemies run
from you. So good.

Just got up to the
Giant Pencil. Not sure what to do now..

aceldama

Banned

I'm hoping to finish up Earthbound this weekend. Ness is 90 but I still feel too weak back in
Onett
. Jeff and Paula are only ~75 and Poo approaching ~70 I think. Should I grind or just push on?

Don't quote me on it, but I seem to remember being around those levels when I beat it. If not those, pretty close to them. I just tried to check to see and my last playthrough saves got corrupted, so I can't verify.

But a few extra levels never hurt, and it isn't terribly challenging to level, even at the higher ones.

Good luck!

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't know why I couldn't keep myself interested in this game before, it's so good! I don't think any other RPG has managed to make me feel
so much like a god when I get above that certain level that lets me steamroll the enemies for earlier areas. That feel of watching the enemies run
from you. So good.

Just got up to the
Giant Pencil. Not sure what to do now..
Go back to town
and see the inventor kids
. If I remember correctly.

Actual spoiler:
One of them will create a "Pencil Eraser" immediately after you encounter the statue.

PKrockin

Onett

I think the enemies there can be murderous no matter your level. Just gotta stay alive and push through them.

Tiktaalik

So for the first time ever I decided to skip the Saturn Valley sanctuary and I'm actually really struggling at the Dusty Dunes Desert (DDD) dungeon. I wonder if the level boost from defeating that boss is really that significant or if Dusty Dunes has always been this tough and I've simply forgotten.

I know that there's a rare enemy in DDD that gives mucho experience. I might have to dig out the guide and track him down.

Anyway my pro tips for Dusty Dunes Desert:
- If your exit mouse you picked up in Twoson is at Escargot Express, get it out. There are exit mice available in the dungeon, but you can't pick up an additional one if you already have one!!!!
- Run away from smiling spheres.
- The boss
es have physical shields. Use Ice 2.

andymcc

Banned
started playing this on monday and finished it today.

feels good man.

i really love endings where you get to revisit the world map. it's very rewarding. i haven't played this in a couple of years and i forgot how emotionally charged the final boss battle can be.

Davey Cakes

So for the first time ever I decided to skip the Saturn Valley sanctuary and I'm actually really struggling at the Dusty Dunes Desert (DDD) dungeon. I wonder if the level boost from defeating that boss is really that significant or if Dusty Dunes has always been this tough and I've simply forgotten.
It's one of the aspects of "skipping sanctuaries" that I don't get. Yes, the game lets you do it so you're not stuck on a 100% linear path, but I don't know why you'd want to. The experience gained makes it worth it.

And in general the area with the third sanctuary is one of the better grind points in the game. All of the enemies are susceptible to PK fire and they usually attack in sets of three and occasionally call for friends. If you beat the Trillionage Sprout you can have an even easier time getting a leg up by fighting the enemies with surprise opening attacks.

So yeah, if you suffer in Dusty Dunes it's probably because you skipped a part that's an easy 3 or 4 levels for your team.

Once I got to the mines I was just about one-shotting the Guardian Diggers with PK Freeze Gamma. Maybe Paula was actually over-leveled at that point.

But yeah, even I stuck around to fight some of the caterpillars. They are insta-wins and give you a grand total of
exp to each party member. With good luck you could find one or two on every pass, but you should probably have some wet towels on hand.

Tiktaalik

It's one of the aspects of "skipping sanctuaries" that I don't get. Yes, the game lets you do it so you're not stuck on a 100% linear path, but I don't know why you'd want to. The experience gained makes it worth it.

And in general the area with the third sanctuary is one of the better grind points in the game. All of the enemies are susceptible to PK fire and they usually attack in sets of three and occasionally call for friends. If you beat the Trillionage Sprout you can have an even easier time getting a leg up by fighting the enemies with surprise opening attacks.

So yeah, if you suffer in Dusty Dunes it's probably because you skipped a part that's an easy 3 or 4 levels for your team.

Once I got to the mines I was just about one-shotting the Guardian Diggers with PK Freeze Gamma. Maybe Paula was actually over-leveled at that point.

But yeah, even I stuck around to fight some of the caterpillars. They are insta-wins and give you a grand total of
exp to each party member. With good luck you could find one or two on every pass, but you should probably have some wet towels on hand.

Yeah I skipped Trillionage Sprout because after I got to him he diamondized two of my party members and I thought maybe I should head back when I got healing 3, but maybe the better approach is just to stock up on secret herb and stick around... That's probably what I did when I played the game when I was 10, or maybe I was just lucky.

Peagles

I think the enemies there can be murderous no matter your level. Just gotta stay alive and push through them.

Yeh I think I'm going to just fight them one battle at a time and see how I go. The others are sure to catch up.

Don't quote me on it, but I seem to remember being around those levels when I beat it. If not those, pretty close to them. I just tried to check to see and my last playthrough saves got corrupted, so I can't verify.

But a few extra levels never hurt, and it isn't terribly challenging to level, even at the higher ones.

Good luck!

Oops I did quote you :p

PKrockin

Yeh I think I'm going to just fight them one battle at a time and see how I go. The others are sure to catch up.

Come to think of it, those enemies are troublesome because of the PSI they throw out at the start of the battle, right? Have you tried a PSI Shield omega?

Peagles

Come to think of it, those enemies are troublesome because of the PSI they throw out at the start of the battle, right? Have you tried a PSI Shield omega?

Yeh. Everyone but Ness get's totally KO'd in the first turn. I haven't, but actually I've managed to get through the rest of the game without understanding how the shields work. I've tried putting them up in the past but it doesn't seem to stop any PSI attacks, so I just kinda gave up on using them, oops... *Goes to read something* Ohh there's a difference between the shields depending on who casts them.. Well that's helpful!

PKrockin

Yeh. Everyone but Ness get's totally KO'd in the first turn. I haven't, but actually I've managed to get through the rest of the game without understanding how the shields work. I've tried putting them up in the past but it doesn't seem to stop any PSI attacks, so I just kinda gave up on using them, oops... *Goes to read something* Ohh there's a difference between the shields depending on who casts them.. Well that's helpful!

lol, yeah, there's Shield which protects against physical attacks and then there's PSI Shield which protects against PSI attacks. Power shields of either type reflect some of the damage back. You can't have multiple types on someone at one time. C'mon man, you went through the whole game without hearing those awesome shield sound effects?

Peagles

lol, yeah, there's Shield which protects against physical attacks and then there's PSI Shield which protects against PSI attacks. Power shields of either type reflect some of the damage back. You can't have multiple types on someone at one time. C'mon man, you went through the whole game without hearing those awesome shield sound effects?

Pretty much. Yeh that's what I just read about online. They were both called PSI Shield so I never thought anything much of it.

Although now it's becoming a challenge of making everyone do the right type of attacks so Paula actually gets to cast before the enemies attack with PSI, ugh.

PKrockin

Pretty much. Yeh that's what I just read about online. They were both called PSI Shield so I never thought anything much of it.

Although now it's becoming a challenge of making everyone do the right type of attacks so Paula actually gets to cast before the enemies attack with PSI, ugh.

Well one's called Shield and one's called PSI Shield, and the game does explain the difference if you check them in the menu, but I see how they could be confused. Especially if you're not used to actually using non-recovery/offense abilities in RPGs.

At level 75 Paula should be acting before that enemy most of the time. If you equip her with a Rabbit's Foot she should be guaranteed to act first.

b3b0p

Earthbound related, can someone explain this to me?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Earthbound-...dition-8-10-Fully-Playable-GBA-/190877539714?

Earthbound Mother 3 English Edition Limted Edition 8/10 Fully Playable! GBA

Up for sale is Mother 3 for the Game Boy Advance. This was a very limited release and only 10 exist. The collector's Edition comes with one large box (similar to Earthbound's size), a fangamer hardback strategy guide, Franklin badge, a Game Boy Advance box to house the game, and one fully playable copy of Mother 3. This copy of Mother 3 is in English and is fully playable. The cart itself works fine, however it is a tight fit within the Game Boy Advance. I know it can be difficult to know exactly what you are buying on eBay. That is why I have personally taken pictures of every item I'm selling so you can be absolutely sure what you buy is what you will receive. If you are unsure of something related to the listing, please contact me before making any ytpe of purchase. That said if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask and I will try my best to answer them in a fashion that is most timely.

Eusis

It's happened with NES and SNES games, where carts are made with the fantranslated ROM on it. Guy could've at least been fully consistent in this recreation though.

Oidisco

Just finished the game for the 1st time and holy crap it was incredible. Coming into this, I was certain that it would a good, but overated game, but it actually surpassed all my expectations!

There were genuine tears during the ending.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I also just beat the game a couple of hours ago, but for the ~4th time. What an amazing game, and that end sequence is still unsurpassed in gaming so far.

It has been a solid ten years since I beat it last, and looking at it without nostalgia glasses and as objectively as I can, it is still better than almost every game released nowadays. It is so good that I could easily start a new game right now and play through happily. Pikmin is out tomorrow, though, so it will have to wait.

Davey Cakes

Just finished the game for the 1st time and holy crap it was incredible. Coming into this, I was certain that it would a good, but overated game, but it actually surpassed all my expectations!
The fans aren't lying when they say it's a great game. No one means to send the hype into the stratosphere; it just sort of happens that way.

You said you went into it thinking it would be overrated, and even though the game surpassed your expectations, I still think going in with an open mind is key. Earthbound is a game that you really have to "understand" in order to enjoy. It's not really automatically good in any way; you have to see the value in each piece and get how all of the pieces come together to form the experience as a whole.

Anyway, as someone who has been playing the game since 1996, it is rather special to see others finally playing for the first time on Wii U and, better yet, enjoying it.

As for my own current replay:

SPOILERS (if you don't want to know anything about the fourth sanctuary)

So , I had an unexpectedly difficult battle with Shroom!! earlier today. In the past I can't say it has given me much trouble, at least not any more than most of the other bosses. I usually "brute force" my way through it and win out. However, this time I went in confident and I kind of wanted to experiment a little bit.

I haven't played the game in a while so I forgot anything about what this boss is susceptible to. Forgot anything regarding his attacks and strategy. So, here I am experimenting with different PSI abilities to see if anything works. Paralysis, no. Hypnosis, no. Defense Down, no. I also tried Jeff's slime generator. Nope. I forgot what the neutralizer does so I used that as well, which was probably a bad idea.

Meanwhile, Shroom!! is spreading spores like crazy and my characters are feeling funny and getting poisoned. This is where things start to fall apart. I mean, one hit from Ness's bat and one of the party members is almost dead, never mind an attack like PK Rockin', Fire, or Freeze which could do serious damage. It gets to a point where I'm "chancing it" and not having good luck, as party members are hitting each other. Shroom!! is also healing himself, that's no good. Eventually Paula collapses, I think from Ness's attack but I could be wrong.

I have one Cup of Lifenoodles in Jeff's inventory so I use it on Paula after a bit of "chancing it" with occasional attacks on the boss and also Lifeup and healing items to get Ness and Jeff into better shape. So, Paula comes back from collapsing and obviously she's fully healed. I'm getting a tad more desperate so I just try to brute force it with PK Freeze Gamma, attacking when possible and having the others go on the defensive. I hadn't stocked any special healing items so no luck getting Ness and Jeff to be normal again. However, Shroom!! spreads more of those spores and once again Paula is feeling funny and becomes a liability with her PSI. Thing is, I feel like I could likely lose anyway so I continue to hope I'll get lucky and deliver a finishing blow. Unfortunately, my luck wasn't quite there and Paula shot a PK Freeze Gamma right back at herself, delivering fatal damage. Her HP falling.

I thought to myself "the last thing I want to do is win this battle without Paula getting her share of the experience points." I'm about to throw in the towel when I look at Jeff's inventory real quick. Is there anything that could possibly help? I see the Bag of Dragonite that we got from Talah Rama's place and it hits me; this is the only chance. Suddenly Jeff transforms into a dragon and lays the smackdown with a whopping 700 HP worth of damage. A hat trick if I've ever seen one.

Shroom!! became tame. Better yet, Paula survived and everyone got their exp points. It felt quite epic.

Top Bottom