• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

The Hermit

damn, I really want to play this game again...
my fav. part was when Paula try to contact Jeff (and that awesome Snowman music plays)
and the final boss.

Later I will post how I beated him first time... it almost brought me to tears (Mother 3 did that though)

Davey Cakes

Got to Threed. Did pretty much everything I could do before going through the tunnel. Saved and quit. Playing again reminds me of how this game has really refreshing changes in the overall atmosphere. Keeps player curiosity going. Threed certainly has a depressing but intriguing air to it, like Happy Happy Village and yet quite different.

And, of course, it's where the game starts to feel a bit more like Mother.

Man, every new review or article I read about this game refers to Pokey as Porky, which is fine because that's his real name, but I've always called him Pokey and I'm not about to change now. Any other Pokey bros in here?

PKrockin

It's my favorite part of the game, honestly.

I love that oppressive dread-filled atmosphere. Not knowing where to go at first.

This town that's under siege, and nowhere feels safe.

Then again I love horror movies.

Yeah, Threed is so good. That music is amazing, too.

Man, every new review or article I read about this game refers to Pokey as Porky, which is fine because that's his real name, but I've always called him Pokey and I'm not about to change now. Any other Pokey bros in here?

I always thought Pokey worked well for an annoying, nosey neighbor.

Peagles

How? Normally you'd use the home button, but the home button during VC games just brings up control schemes and restore points.

That happens when I touch the screen, but not when I press the Home button... Odd!

Press home, then go to miiverse and you'll be able to post what was on screen when you pressed home.

This is how I usually post a screen shot for any game, it works for Earthbound too, I've tried it! ^_^

Played through Fourside, did the 4th Your Sanctuary and arrived at Summers before calling it quits for the day. The
Moonside illusion
was fantastic, loved the visuals on it. Abstract Artwork is the best RPG monster ever.

How? Normally you'd use the home button, but the home button during VC games just brings up control schemes and restore points.

Your home button shouldn't be doing that. Are you accidentally bumping R/zR (whichever one it is) while trying? You can't even map functions to the home button in VC so it shouldn't be bringing up the VC menu.

jnWake

Played through Fourside, did the 4th Your Sanctuary and arrived at Summers before calling it quits for the day. The
Moonside illusion
was fantastic, loved the visuals on it. Abstract Artwork is the best RPG monster ever.

Please, nothing will ever beat the Enraged Fireplug.

Goody

OK so I'm inside of
Dungeon Man
now. It's really great to get some of the humor this game was going for because I never did as a kid.

You know what else I never did as a kid when I played this? The 5th and 6th Your Sanctuary Locations.
I never even though about going back to the Summers museum and giving that guy upstairs Poo's ruby.

That whole segment was completely lost to me as a kid and around here was were I would always give up. So much easier now with all the leveling that happens here.

Moonside illusion

Your home button shouldn't be doing that. Are you accidentally bumping R/zR (whichever one it is) while trying? You can't even map functions to the home button in VC so it shouldn't be bringing up the VC menu.

Oh, maybe I've been pressing touching the screen instead of pressing the home button :s

Usually I would agree that the statute of limitations is probably up on general spoilers by now, but given the scarcity of the game and the fact that it's only just now again available legitimately without a multiple hundred dollar price tag I would extend a little more consideration to the idea of first time players.

As someone who's playing for the first time myself (given the game, like the large majority of SNES RPGs, was never released here before) I'm pretty much avoiding all media/discussion about the game (outside of this thread and Miiverse). Always helps to be cautious.

D-e-f-

Banned
Usually I would agree that the statute of limitations is probably up on general spoilers by now, but given the scarcity of the game and the fact that it's only just now again available legitimately without a multiple hundred dollar price tag I would extend a little more consideration to the idea of first time players.

yea, they should've done an earthbound episode in a few weeks at least so everyone could play through it. if you make a topical episode about earthbound's VC release, you know that a ton of people haven't played it.

guess I'll hold off on that episode for a while ... glad that José is hosting, though!

Himself

Where can I access this Player's Guide? I heard it was supposed to be on the gamepad screen or something while you were playing.

Eusis

Where can I access this Player's Guide? I heard it was supposed to be on the gamepad screen or something while you were playing.
earthbound.nintendo.com.

... The third sanctuary boss gave me a lot more trouble than I remember having. Stupid status ailments (and the fact I stubbornly soldiered through when Paula got mushroom'd IMMEDIATELY.)

Himself

earthbound.nintendo.com.

... The third sanctuary boss gave me a lot more trouble than I remember having. Stupid status ailments (and the fact I stubbornly soldiered through when Paula got mushroom'd IMMEDIATELY.)

Ahh, thanks. I was misinformed.

Murrah

Banned
Been playing through in the hopes of beating it before Pikmin. And having only fully played though the game once a long time ago it's been pretty fun, and I definitely appreciate the game more now that I'm older. In particular, playing though as a teenager I only really remember laughing at the more absurd stuff like beating up hippies, but stuff like the Stoic club is actually really clever and hilarious. Puts me in the mood to replay Mother 3 when I'm done

Oh, and I also appreciate the sort of...twisted logic of some things? I was dreading playing through Moonside again because it gave me a headache and I remembered it was just generally confusing. But I flew through it pretty fast last night, it didn't seem nearly as random and confusing as I remembered, just had a very specific kind of logic. Great game

L Thammy

It's Pokey for me, too. Though I do think Mother 3 clarified something more important about Pokey.
He really does mean it when he calls Ness his bestest friend. He doesn't have any other friends at all. His fight with Ness is a game to him, and it's his was of interacting with his friend.

Fuck me Nintendo Voice Chat just spoiled like half the game.

Huh? Were they openly discussing spoilers on some podcast?

L Thammy

Moonside is killing me.... I dont know if I can go any further.

Moonside is by far the most surreal, confusing place in the game. It's probably deliberate.

If I recall correctly, it actually limits you to a sort of linear path. Just try to find ways to progress forward and talk to everyone you bump into.

It's Pokey for me, too. Though I do think Mother 3 clarified something more important about Pokey.
He really does mean it when he calls Ness his bestest friend. He doesn't have any other friends at all. His fight with Ness is a game to him, and it's his was of interacting with his friend.

That's the saddest thing. These games need to stop making me feel stupid emotions.

Peagles

Okay so I just got the
call from Apple Kid when someone's violating him at Dr Andonuts lab, after coming out of the weird cave in the Deep Darkness
Can anyone give me a hint on how far through I am? I'm just kinda curious!

Ondore

Okay so I just got the
call from Apple Kid when someone's violating him at Dr Andonuts lab, after coming out of the weird cave in the Deep Darkness
Can anyone give me a hint on how far through I am? I'm just kinda curious!

You've hit approximately the 3/4 mark of the game. Two dungeons and two Sanctuaries to go.

Peagles

You've hit approximately the 3/4 mark of the game. Two dungeons and two Sanctuaries to go.

Exciting!

I'm going to spend the rest of today going for
The Sword of Kings
, but are there any other rare drops like that I should go after? The last thing I want to do is complete a dungeon or something and prevent myself from picking up stuff like that, but I'm not really sure if there's much apart from that item. Thoughts?

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
Ah, Earthbound. One of the Holy Trinity of jRPGs along with FFVI and Chrono Trigger.

Such a uniquely wacky and heart filled game.

Tiktaalik

Who is doing this? I can't think of a good reason why? I recognize Pokey is the Japanese name, but the name hasn't changed in this release of Earthbound and
in Mother 3 the English translator opted to keep the name Pokey
. It's Pokey imo.

Who is doing this? I can't think of a good reason why? I recognize Pokey is the Japanese name, but the name hasn't changed in this release of Earthbound and
. It's Pokey imo.

Porky was used in both Brawl and the fan translation of Mother 3.

Eusis

. It's Pokey imo.
Well, original Japanese name plus
Super Smash Bros Brawl appearance representing Mother 3
probably pushed them to sticking with that.

EDIT: Though going by the last post, that really makes it
3 out of 4, rather than 2 out of 4 but one of those being unofficial.

Guys, can I put the thing that Orange Kid gave me in storage? What about the
pencil eraser
after I use it? And the bicycle? Should I have the phone with me at all times?

My OCD won't let me but inventory is so limited...

Guys, can I put the thing that Orange Kid gave me in storage? What about the [SPOILESPOILER] after I use it? And the bicycle? Should I have the phone with me at all times?

My OCD won't let me but inventory is so limited...

SPOILER is used three times during the game, after the third time you can send it to storage. The second similar item is only used once. You can only use the bibycle when travelling alone, so it's pretty useless. You can't get rid of your phone

Top Bottom