• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EarthBound |OT| Look at the sun. Face the sun and smile.

Tiktaalik

Foppys are such an odd enemy. Weak but offering high EXP. I can't help but think maybe playtesting revealed that Blech's dungeon was too difficult or something, and so the developers swapped in the Foppys at the last minute. It would be amazing to find some Earthbound prototype where Blech's dungeon is full of zombies or something tougher instead.

derwalde

Exciting!

I'm going to spend the rest of today going for
The Sword of Kings
, but are there any other rare drops like that I should go after? The last thing I want to do is complete a dungeon or something and prevent myself from picking up stuff like that, but I'm not really sure if there's much apart from that item. Thoughts?

it took me literally 5 minutes to get it. this is probably the first time i got lucky in a game.

SPOILER is used three times during the game, after the third time you can send it to storage. The second similar item is only used once. You can only use the bibycle when travelling alone, so it's pretty useless. You can't get rid of your phone

Much appreciated :) I figured the bicycle would end up being useless after the warning from the guy that gave it to me...

D-e-f-

Banned
Question for long-time EarthBound players!

I've played and beaten the game several times over the years, but it just dawned on me after passing this part again that I never worked out who exactly it is speaking to Ness when he
drinks his cups of coffee. Is there any official word on this? At the end of the first time it says, "I wish you luck..." I think I always thought it was Buzz-Buzz speaking from beyond the grave or something, but I don't know.

Or is it just one of those "up to your own interpretation" type things?

Also, I'm not sure if the above REALLY needed to be spoiler tagged, but better safe than sorry. This game is too special to inadvertently spoil for anyone.

PKrockin

I've played and beaten the game several times over the years, but it just dawned on me after passing this part again that I never worked out who exactly it is speaking to Ness when he
drinks his cups of coffee. Is there any official word on this? At the end of the first time it says, "I wish you luck..." I think I always thought it was Buzz-Buzz speaking from beyond the grave or something, but I don't know.

Also, I'm not sure if the above REALLY needed to be spoiler tagged, but better safe than sorry. This game is too special to inadvertently spoil for anyone.

Up to your interpretation.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Serious Mr. Saturn. Boing!

Davey Cakes

Just completed the Zombie Paper part.

Y'know, I never realized how easy it was to level up solo Jeff in Winters. I mean, you get to a point where you're insta-winning against Struttin' Mushrooms, which give 95 exp a pop. I think I was Level 12 before getting out of there. Never did that before, I don't think.

PKrockin

Just completed the Zombie Paper part.

Y'know, I never realized how easy it was to level up solo Jeff in Winters. I mean, you get to a point where you're insta-winning against Struttin' Mushrooms, which give 95 exp a pop. I think I was Level 12 before getting out of there. Never did that before, I don't think.

I've noticed that Jeff and Poo require significantly less experience to level up than Ness or Paula until around level 25 or so.

Davey Cakes

I've noticed that Jeff and Poo require significantly less experience to level up than Ness or Paula until around level 25 or so.
It's probably intentional. Just a way of throwing the player a bone. In the case of Jeff especially, he has no PSI so it's necessary to go easy to go easy on him until he's competent.

PKrockin

It's probably intentional. Just a way of throwing the player a bone. In the case of Jeff especially, he has no PSI so it's necessary to go easy to go easy on him until he's competent.

Well, can't you get the
Slime Generator as soon as he joins you in Threed?
That's thing's overpowered as hell, I used it constantly. Also, Bottle Rockets.

Playing through the game again on Wii U, it continues to astonish me how Earthbound grows up with me. The game was the perfect outlet for me, back when I was something of a young introvert who possessed an absurd of sense of humor and as such was dubbed crazy for it.. Earthbound constantly poured out abnormal concepts one after the other, all of which I eagerly greeted and I celebrated every moment of it. While obviously this appeal has faded over time I'm still rewarded with not just understanding more of the jokes but shockingly mature subtleties such as Ness's father being gone throughout the game and
the inevitable collapse of Pokey's family.
. The Captain Strong fight is a great example of this balance, albeit more on the sillier side. Back then, I just perceived it as some sort of rite of passage that was necessary to get into Twoson and I came out of it feeling like a badass. It was totally normal to me. Now as a young adult I'm just laughing hysterically throughout the entire thing at how ****ing ludicrous it is. Plus, I still come out feeling macho, so there!

Not to mention I find it really fascinating how, as a kid, the game exuded this pleasant scent of nostalgia that hinted at some forgotten American era (and, of course, an earlier generation of games), and it's just nostalgic on it's own for me today. Anyone else get what I'm talking about?

Also, the Player's Guide with the Gamepad is a godsend. Never had the opportunity to read it before (bought the game off eBay shortly after the Gamecube came out), and it's amazing how much it adds to the experience, and it's even got stuff I never knew before! Right up there with the Conker's Bad Fur Day one as my favorite guide ever.

Cannot emphasize enough the fellow sentiment of being envious of those new to the game. For first-time players, be sure to get on Mother 3 right afterwards. It's complementation to Earthbound, despite being night-and-day in comparison of tone, could not be any more perfect.

I already finished playing through the game a few months back on SNES, but seeing everyone else enjoying the game either for the first time (or the first time in a while) has made me fire up another file.

Some old art a friend named Leeling did on another site. Figured you guys might appreciate it.

MGCVscT.png

Hi, just now finished this for the first time! Took me around 30 hours, and I really loved it. Especially the music which was freaking incredible. Definitely a great game, and one I'll end up replaying for sure. As a Ness player in Smash, I actually feel qualified to use him now, so that's cool too.

Azih

Also, why hasn't Nintendo got Itoi to work on one of their franchises yet!? An Itoi written Zelda could be fantastic!
Itoi isn't interested. It's not like game development is his job anyway. He seems more like an authour/essayist/generally creative person.

Tiktaalik

Man I got owned by the Trillionage Sprout sanctuary boss. Was a bit shocked when he Diamondized my party members as I had no defence against that (though I suppose I could spend the big bucks on Secret Herbs). I decided to move on and skip him until I get the PSI Healing 3.

I don't recall having too many issues with him before, but maybe I always just got lucky with him in the past.

Also the mushrooms ahead of him are also incredibly annoying, because PSI abilities can't remove those either.

Ghekkus

I don't remember if anyone posted this but here is a little tip to save some frustration when trying to get a certain weapon for Ness if you're following the players guide.

The strategy guide was and still is incorrect. The gutsy bat actually isn't dropped by the Krakens in the Sea of Eden but the Bionic Krakens in the final area of the game when you go back in time.

Joqu

Someone tell me I shouldn't be getting hyped ;;

I don't remember if anyone posted this but here is a little tip to save some frustration when trying to get a certain weapon for Ness if you're following the players guide.

The strategy guide was and still is incorrect. The gutsy bat actually isn't dropped by the Krakens in the Sea of Eden but the Bionic Krakens in the final area of the game when you go back in time.

Huh I didn't know about that, thanks for letting me know!

Tiktaalik

EB Pro Tip: If Jeff just recently built a weapon, it's not necessarily worth it to buy the next Jeff upgrade you see. Weapons in stores cost money (obviously) but you can't sell the devices Jeff creates himself.

I just got to the Desert prior to Fourside and bought the Zip gun, but it's a mere 4 attack stronger than the Magnum gun that Jeff built. Doesn't seem worth it.

Keep the guide handy I guess when you're about to buy a new weapon for Jeff.

Goody

Oh, man. I just beat this game for the first time a few minutes ago. I had it as a kid but was never able to get more than halfway through as a kid.

I have lots of feelings right now.

So... I'm having some slowdowns. Mostly when there's a lot of stuff (characters, enemies) on screen. Is that normal? :eek: I had the same thing with the Kirby Dream Collection...

Top Bottom