• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA's leak fears - Oh, the irony

fugimax

A point about the RE4 thing...

Who cares what's been announced? I mean...it's CAPCOM...and RESIDENT EVIL. This game will hit every fucking console/computer/electronic thing ever known to man....TWICE!

RE4: Oven Timer Edition
RE4: Dot Matrix Print-As-You-Go Edition
RE4: Exclusive Depth-Perception Virtual Boy Edition

It was and is inevitable.

fugimax

so you are confirming RE4 Xbox again? I don't see why they'll announce PS2 but not xbox
Because they signed a contract with Sony for a timed exclusive follow-up to the GCN exclusive.

In 2-3 months, they will then go ahead and screw Sony and announce and Xbox version to follow in early 2006.

PhatSaqs

Banned
I expected more entertainment value from this thread.

Folder is holding his own here despite the attempts at ownage. You guys are failing me :(

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
fugimax said:
It was and is inevitable.

hugo_weaving15.jpg

Folder said:
The game is being made and will be announced. The announcement date we were told may have been wrong/been moved whatever. Please again, read the other threads.
And stop crying

So, are you 100% on this story as being true or you are you trusting a single, somewhat shitfaced source?

xsarien

daedsiluap
Folder said:
*yawn*
There's two whole threads about this.
I said you could PM me and we could chat about it. Now I'm not so sure.
Did I mention there's two whole threads about this?
The game is being made and will be announced. The announcement date we were told may have been wrong/been moved whatever. Please again, read the other threads.
And stop crying

And tell me again why Capcom would release an XBox version "in the future" with the system being replaced in about 13 months?

The only reason I'm "crying" is because I'm laughing at you trying to defend Spong's credibility.

Trakball

Banned
How many times does dude have to say that "old SPONG" =/= "NEW SPONG"?

The groupthink around this place is stifling sometimes.

DarienA

Trakball said:

Defending spong is punishable by death.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Trakball said:

It's a lot harder to try and build credibility when you've repeatedly managed to prove you have none in the past.

DarienA

Trakball said:
IN THE PAST, though.

Some people have long memories... and past is a relative term when it comes to the measurement of the actual time as it relates to certain folks.

Nerevar

Trakball said:
IN THE PAST, though.

So? What, am I supposed to keep my expectations of credibility artificially high if they don't post a new outrageously fake story every week? Give me a couple years of high-quality news that doesn't trawl message boards for the latest fanboy rumors and then I might trust news from the site. Until then, no thanks.

Trakball

Banned
Okay, the guy has said numerous times that the old staff is not the same as the new staff. Maybe it's unfortunate that they continue to operate under a kinda shiesty name, but goddamn, you people are just way too fucking harsh on the guy.

So if you've trusted Gaming-Age (the site, not the forums) for all your Nintendo information, and then Drinky Crow took over, you wouldn't rely on GA.com any longer. I look at the Spong situation as the reverse of that.

Give the guy a chance. We don't ALL have to be hardcore little stormtroopers to be down, do we?

I guess I'm not a big fan of people being endlessly, mercilessly picked on.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Trakball said:
Okay, the guy has said numerous times that the old staff is not the same as the new staff. Maybe it's unfortunate that they continue to operate under a kinda shiesty name, but goddamn, you people are just way too fucking harsh on the guy.

So if you've trusted Gaming-Age (the site, not the forums) for all your Nintendo information, and then Drinky Crow took over, you wouldn't rely on GA.com any longer. I look at the Spong situation as the reverse of that.

If Drinky took over, I'd expect a definite slant against Nintendo, but I wouldn't - for a moment - think he'd start making shit up.

Nerevar

Trakball said:

Then you really, really don't belong on the GAF forums. Hell, you don't belong on the internet at all. :D

As someone who has worked in an atmosphere where "industry leaks" are the sign of the devil, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this e-mail being sent. You have to rein people in because if you don't, you're going to have 5 different messages about your product or service, all wrong, and then public scrutiny begins. I don't get the laughter or embarrassment this e-mail will cause, it's proper company procedure, and any company, large or small, loved or hated, will send such e-mails.

Secondly, people who are in the lower levels of game development are the most jaded people I've ever met, and I don't blame them. They've been busting their hump, getting paid nothing and getting crapped on. All this and no job security at all. And 95% of the time someone says "from an inside source," it comes from these people. I'm sure whatever they say or do about a company is objective and their own personal opinions never play a factor in their "news" leaks. And yet fanboys treat their word like it's straight from God, and after all, for the rumor leaker, it the first shred of respect they've ever received.

How is this news? You cats are real desperate to throw pebbles at a titanium wall.

Trakball

Banned
Nerevar said:
Then you really, really don't belong on the GAF forums. Hell, you don't belong on the internet at all. :D

Not everyone is constantly attempting to prove themselves on the internet. Or on GA, even! But yeah I'm sensitive to this sort of thing.

xsarian said:
but I wouldn't - for a moment - think he'd start making shit up

Yeah, he's a bastion of serious reporting

DarienA

Trakball said:

Geez you're on the wrong forum.... watch your step here... one mistake can doom you for life!

Trakball said:
Yeah, he's a bastion of serious reporting

Actually Doug is... of all the years I've spent online here and on Usenet he's one of the folks that I know I can always get an honest and upfront opinion, whether I agree with it or not.

fugimax

As someone who has worked in an atmosphere where "industry leaks" are the sign of the devil, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this e-mail being sent.
I don't think anyone here was saying it shouldn't have been sent..

It's just funny because it's futile. When your employees hate the company, there isn't shit you can do to keep them in line.

Unison

WasabiKing said:
As someone who has worked in an atmosphere where "industry leaks" are the sign of the devil, I see absolutely nothing wrong with this e-mail being sent.

I don't think it's that the e-mail itself is out of hand... of course EA has a right to tell its employees to keep private things private.

It's that employees promptly leaked it that is funny to people. :lol

Unison and Fugimax, I totally understand that point, but really, everyone in here is making a bigger deal out of nothing. It's just as dumb as those people who post e-mails from HR saying that they're going to be more layoffs a week from today, confidentiality is needed, and posted on those websites. BFD

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
fugimax said:
I don't think anyone here was saying it shouldn't have been sent..

It's just funny because it's futile. When your employees hate the company, there isn't shit you can do to keep them in line.

Unison said:
I don't think it's that the e-mail itself is out of hand... of course EA has a right to tell its employees to keep private things private.

It's that employees promptly leaked it that is funny to people.
It's like the two of you deliberately ignored or simply didn't read the rest of what wasabi said...

Chittagong

Gold Member
Could we get a sticky for people to pick on Spong and Folder to defend it? It's getting a old that in totally unrelated threds whenever someone mentions Spong or Folder shows up, certain few start bitching about Spong, and then Folder runs in to explain how it's all different now.

Fuck, it's not like anyone in GAF wouldn't know by now that Spong has reported a lots of BS. Likewise, it's not like anyone in GAF wouldn't have heard by now from Folder that now different people are working at Spong and possibly it will be different. The bitching and defending isn't contributing anything new to the discussion.

This is a perfectly great thread to discuss even the topic on hand - which is that EA employees seem to hate EA.

DarienA

Chittagong said:
Could we get a sticky for people to pick on Spong and Folder to defend it? It's getting a old that in totally unrelated threds whenever someone mentions Spong or Folder shows up, certain few start bitching about Spong, and then Folder runs in to explain how it's all different now.

...Folder created this thread. Any time he posts news considering the site he works for it's automatically going to be associated with the site... whether the item he posted actually ends up on the site or not, whether it's legit or not.

Therefore each time he goes to post something "insider" he's opening himself up to it by choice.

The RE4 comment is rubbing people the wrong way now especially so because there is now a convenient excuse to explain why the 2 week timetable is no longer valid.

To some of us it just seems like business as usual.

Unison said:
But we're explaining it's not the content of the e-mail at all... It's the pathetic state of employee morale over there.

But... and Folder never answered this question either... how does this show that employee morale is low? As I asked earlier shouldn't we get an idea of how many employees total are in the offices that these were leaked from so we can see if it's a # of leakers in a small group of employees(which is a problem), or a # of leakers in a HUGE group of employees(which is pretty much the norm in corp america)?

Basically some of us are asking how are folks making the jump from leaker = hater?

Unison

I don't get the laughter or embarrassment this e-mail will cause

But we're explaining it's not the content of the e-mail at all... It's the pathetic state of employee morale over there.

kaching said:
It's like the two of you deliberately ignored or simply didn't read the rest of what wasabi said...

No, they read it, they just presented a different view that I didn't address, but I understood. ;)

Here's the deal, I think as people, most of us get a kick out of any sort of drama. Look at the news reporting today. I just choose not to care as much 95% of the time and address the actual issue. I'm not one for dramatics or scandal when it could affect someone's livelihood or desire to progress their career.

Now, taking it back to GAF, I don't think this thread would have gotten as many replies if it was NIS America or Mastiff who wrote the same letter in verbatim. Yet similiar letters are sent out every day but they're not "leaked" to the internet.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Chittagong said:
This is a perfectly great thread to discuss even the topic on hand - which is that EA employees seem to hate EA.
Still waiting to see the arithmetic behind leak = hate.

It's also a perfectly great thread to take note of the fact that, again, people are saying this isn't unique to EA...

Gek54

kaching said:

It's also a perfectly great thread to take note of the fact that, again, people are saying this isn't unique to EA...

If info, say about about online function, is leaked and then they find they cant include this feature, such could create hate.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Folder is an attention whore for posting it. Everyone else sucks for overreacting. So there!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Gek, I mean that the people are leaking the info are doing so because they hate the company they work for. That's the assumption being made here.

Chittagong

Gold Member
kaching said:

Leaking isn't indeed unique to EA. It happens all the time and it sucks when it hits your project. However, there are different levels of leaking, and different reasons for leaking.

Here is my hierarchy of leaking, from least harmful to pure hostile:

STUPID - "Oh I didn't know it was public"
SLOPPY - "Whoops, did I forget to mention that this isn't public"
SELFISH - "Look at me, I'm industree insidur"
HOSTILE - "Fuck the company, I'll show the world the bastards they are"
CRIMINAL - "Let's make some money with this shit!"

5. Leaking a tidbit of the game - STUPID / SLOPPY
4. Leaking unreleased footage - SLOPPY / SELFISH
3. Leaking info about an unannouced title - SLOPPY / SELFISH
2. Leaking negative organizational information - HOSTILE
1. Leaking code - HOSTILE / CRIMINAL

Leaking information of organizational crisis, vulnerabilities and such on purpose is outright hostile. There is no way a person would knowingly expose the shortcomings of his/her employer without some MAJOR dissatisfaction, frustration or desperation.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Simple apathy for the company's concerns about the information being leaked will do, Chittagong. It doesn't have to be hate or some similarly strong negative emotion towards the company that motivates it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well, I guess it can be interpreted in many ways. I'm just projecting it to myself and my organization, trying to imagine that under what circumstances I'd leak an internal disciplining mail sent by our team leader, "Mike" - complete with his name under it. Hard to imagine. But, like you suggested, maybe it's just apathy.

F

Folder

Unconfirmed Member
sonycowboy said:
So, are you 100% on this story as being true or you are you trusting a single, somewhat shitfaced source?
Hey.
Sorry, just got in. Been legging it about town looking for S-Video cables for GameCubes. Argh.
I don't mean to repeat thing, but please read the other threads. The source, as good as a source can get, said it was 200%, showed me proof etc. As mentioned in previous threads, the whole drunked source thing was something of a ruse. We've had the news confirmed by Capcom, OTR of course, everytime we speak. Their startling interest in trying to find out who told us, well, look. It's happening. The piece wasn't guesswork, I swear on my life, we had the news leaked from a platform holder employee. The announcement date might be fucked up though I think.
About the sticky thread - I spend too much time here anyway, are you joking?
Got meeting due, behind with everything. Will begin Animal Crossing playset soap opera soon on a completely unrelated note. Might even guest star a couple of you.
*eyes GreenGiant*
:)

mashoutposse

Ante Up
If they hate the place so much, they can have their freedom at any time by handing in their two weeks' notice. That's if management doesn't discover their activities and "free" them first. There are many gaming development hopefuls who would love to take their place.

Folder said:
Hey.
Sorry, just got in. Been legging it about town looking for S-Video cables for GameCubes. Argh.
I don't mean to repeat thing, but please read the other threads. The source, as good as a source can get, said it was 200%, showed me proof etc. As mentioned in previous threads, the whole drunked source thing was something of a ruse. We've had the news confirmed by Capcom, OTR of course, everytime we speak. Their startling interest in trying to find out who told us, well, look. It's happening. The piece wasn't guesswork, I swear on my life, we had the news leaked from a platform holder employee. The announcement date might be fucked up though I think.
About the sticky thread - I spend too much time here anyway, are you joking?
Got meeting due, behind with everything. Will begin Animal Crossing playset soap opera soon on a completely unrelated note. Might even guest star a couple of you.
*eyes GreenGiant*
:)

I'll miss you when you're gone.

I'll send you some apples if you need some in Animal Crossing. I've got a pretty big heart.

Top Bottom