• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Easily Remaster Classic Games with NVIDIA RTX Remix"

Hugare

Didn't see a thread specifically for it, and I thought that it deserved one, so

I'm in awe, honestly. This shit is bonkers.

Will work with Directx 8 and 9 games, so the possibilities are huge

Not only it will make modding easier, but adding Reflex and DLSS to old games is nuts

To me, this is by far the best news from today's conference

Kilau

I think they took all those “RTX ON/OFF” memes personally.

images

Hugare

Is this *only* available with the new cards?
confused-vince.gif

is this exclusive to the new cards? i might pay $1200 to play raytraced morrowind
No

Every card compatible with Vulkan will be able to run games with RTX Remix

But only RTX cards (all of them) will be able to use it to mod stuff, tho

So if you have an AMD card, you are good to go

Wouldnt try to play these games on a GTX tho

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Nvidia: Here's DX8+ games converted to 4K RTX for free, thanks to the dark magics of Satan himself #PCMR
Sony: Here's a couple of PS1 games on your PS5. They're online only, $16 a month, no resolution, performance, visual, audio, loading, or control improvements #FuckYou

*pats his RTX 3090*

Kuranghi

Awesome potential for adding good AA to old games, have a mode for DLSS where its native res just to effectively add temporal AA to everything. Can this be used with DX10 games?

Hugare

Sorry I am dumb when it comes to PC stuff. Is 3080 OK then?
It is more than ok

You can play an RTX Remixed game on any card, basically (unless it's like, more than 10 y old)

But you can only mod games using RTX cards (RTX 2000/3000/4000)

Awesome potential for adding good AA to old games, have a mode for DLSS where its native res just to effectively add temporal AA to everything. Can this be used with DX10 games?
Unfortunately not, only DX 8 and 9 for the moment

But yeah, I'm salivating about adding DLSS in old games and ditching those terrible AA from the past

Last edited:

hlm666

This looks really cool, some modders will do some crazy stuff with this. Now the cynical side of me is also wondering how long until publishers have 2 or 3 man teams using this to remster old games for full price ;)

Hugare

This looks really cool, some modders will do some crazy stuff with this. Now the cynical side of me is also wondering how long until publishers have 2 or 3 man teams using this to remster old games for full price ;)
I would be ok with it

It's not a "one click and your game is remastered" kind of thing. You still have to chance the scene's lighting, make new model and assets and etc.

It's easier, but far from being automatic.

There are some automatic stuff included tho, like the one click ray tracing improvements. But if you want it to look good and not just tacked in, you'll have to put some work.

That's why Portal RTX was designed by Nvidia artists, despite being all made on RTX remix

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I'd love to see this with Dead Space 2. In DS1 you can render using MSAA/TrSSAA at 3840x2160 (with the right compatibility bits) and even hyper detailed transparencies look perfect from a long distance, but DS2 has issues with SGSSAA where its either blurry or has missing shadows that ruin the visuals. I had to "just" render DS2 in 8K which still has a small bit of aliasing on high contrast edges and fine transparency detail so would be cool to see that cleaned up, its 60fps in-game but the framerate is killed during cutscenes with close ups of alpha effect.

I need to finish that actually, I'm right at the end as well.

hlm666

I would be ok with it

It's not a "one click and your game is remastered" kind of thing. You still have to chance the scene's lighting, make new model and assets and etc.

It's easier, but far from being automatic.

There are some automatic stuff included tho, like the one click ray tracing improvements. But if you want it to look good and not just tacked in, you'll have to put some work.

That's why Portal RTX was designed by Nvidia artists, despite being all made on RTX remix
While it's not automatic it's a hell of alot less work than how a remaster is done today (not counting gta remasters lol) If the price reflected the decreased time and man power it would be cool, but full price would be a joke. Portal RTX is also free if you own Portal so hopefully that sets some expectations going forward ;)

lukilladog

We shall see this implemented on Enb Series soon, little better shadowing wont hurt Skyrim.

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Excited to try using this to mod some games. Perhaps this will help facilitate and encourage developers to revisit and modernize their classic games for modern PCs.

It’s a bit worrying that everything they have shown are dark indoors environments. Hope it works well outdoors too.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
It sounds too good to be true, probably still is a lot of detail work as the devil is always in the details, but I will definitely try that with Dungeon Keeper 2.

Cryio

You can use FSR2 on any DX12 game in existence (even Intel HASWELL) and probably Vulkan with IVY BRIDGE.

And then comes Nvidia with "we have specialized hardware for DLSS2 and 3", lmao.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
And here I thought I would buy an series x instead of replacing my GPU.

Who's the highest bidder for a kidney in here?

Larxia

MIRROR'S EDGE!
MIRROR'S EDGE!
MIRROR'S EDGE!
MIRROR'S EDGE!
MIRROR'S EDGE!
MIRROR'S EDGE!
MIRROR'S EDGE!
I'm not sure how it would work on such games, it's using pre rendered lightmaps, so if you were to add ray tracing on top of that, it would look wrong and doubled. I imagine you would have to go through all materials and remove the lightmaps everywhere? But then it's not sure that the real time lighting would manage to get a similar mood as the prerendered one.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
You can use FSR2 on any DX12 game in existence (even Intel HASWELL) and probably Vulkan with IVY BRIDGE.

And then comes Nvidia with "we have specialized hardware for DLSS2 and 3", lmao.
You make it sound like these are equivalent in how they work or what they do...

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm not sure how it would work on such games, it's using pre rendered lightmaps, so if you were to add ray tracing on top of that, it would look wrong and doubled. I imagine you would have to go through all materials and remove the lightmaps everywhere? But then it's not sure that the real time lighting would manage to get a similar mood as the prerendered one.
That seems like a rather large thing for nVidia to overlook. I am sure there are tools to deal with that.

Top Bottom