• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Easily Remaster Classic Games with NVIDIA RTX Remix"

Will this actually be available to wider public? Everyone's talking modding but it could just end up being another black-box solution for developers

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
If you can use it in a emulator, I would love to see RTX in Sega Model 3 games such as Scud Race and Daytona 2.
I doubt this would work because I think the rendering is handled more in software, but stuff like GameCube games in Dolphin might, just like Dolphin work with VR mods and such.

Trogdor1123

Things like this make me want to build a pc for myself. It’s really neat.

Side note, I bought morrowind years ago with the intent to install mods as there are ones out there that essentially totally redo the game but the mod would never “stick” and it would boot like normal. It was frustrating as hell.

It is the steam version. I could never figure out what I was doing wrong

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Looks like a layer of Vaseline on stuff.

Vaseline Hml407 GIF by truTV’s Hack My Life

Fbh

Gold Member
Will wait until they show the overall result on a variety of games instead of cherry picked examples.
But at least so far this seems amazing

Nvidia: Here's DX8+ games converted to 4K RTX for free, thanks to the dark magics of Satan himself #PCMR
Sony: Here's a couple of PS1 games on your PS5. They're online only, $16 a month, no resolution, performance, visual, audio, loading, or control improvements #FuckYou

*pats his RTX 3090*

PC: "Here's this tool to automatically remaster your old games for free. Here's the new DLSS further enhancing performance and it's already coming to 30+ of the hottest recent and upcoming games"
Consoles: "yeah I'm going to need an extra $10 to bump the resolution a bit and enable the 60fps toggle on this Ps4 game because it's just so much extra work"

Fuz

Banned
magic.png

I doubt this would work because I think the rendering is handled more in software, but stuff like GameCube games in Dolphin might, just like Dolphin work with VR mods and such.
I haven't been tech-savy for a decade. Think it would work on Daggerfall Unity?

SF Kosmo

I haven't been tech-savy for a decade. Think it would work on Daggerfall Unity?
Probably not, this is for old games running on DX8 or DX9 and Unity is a modern engine.

But of course you wouldn't need to since Unity supports ray tracing already and the devs could just add that without the need for this additional layer.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Fuz

UnNamed

Banned
I think emulators use some sort of Direct X wrapper, I don't know how it works exactly but with that you can use Reshade on certain emulators and also extract 3d models.

SF Kosmo

I think emulators use some sort of Direct X wrapper, I don't know how it works exactly but with that you can use Reshade on certain emulators and also extract 3d models.
It depends on the emulator. MAME, for example, works completely in software and just uses DirectX for things like filtering and scaling the screen. But most N64 emulators use HLE which just offloads rendering to DirectX or OpenGL, so those would be most likely to work.

Of course since this only uses DX8 and 9, we might be talking about legacy emulators (or at least graphics plugins), rather than anything modern.

Is this a one button switch or how do we go about doing this. Just saying "X" is possible is fine but doesn't wow me.
Other things are possible, doesn't mean they get done.

Quake 2 rtx - it looks like magic, and just a button press, but further investigation shows that it was built on a modded engine and with new high res textures.
IF you used the existing textures the rtx mod would not look good.
So i guess these will require teams of modders to make anything.
Then we wait and maybe we get something.

So that morrowind demo doesn't actually exist, its just a screen bait for sales....grrr.

I have a 3060ti so I am good, but the actual files need to be made to download.
Let us know when there is something to download, otherwise just pie in the sky for now.

IF i am wrong and this is a simple button press and "add rtx" then color me shocked, but I don't believe it until i see it on my pc.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Consoles: "yeah I'm going to need an extra $10 to bump the resolution a bit and enable the 60fps toggle on this Ps4 game because it's just so much extra work"
Plenty of BC games on xbox one got a 4k resolution update for free.

Not every company is greedy.

But there is no denying that pc is the superior platform for this. You can mod games to fry your GPU with insane texture packs.

SF Kosmo

Is this a one button switch or how do we go about doing this. Just saying "X" is possible is fine but doesn't wow me.
Other things are possible, doesn't mean they get done.

Quake 2 rtx - it looks like magic, and just a button press, but further investigation shows that it was built on a modded engine and with new high res textures.
IF you used the existing textures the rtx mod would not look good.
So i guess these will require teams of modders to make anything.
Then we wait and maybe we get something.

So that morrowind demo doesn't actually exist, its just a screen bait for sales....grrr.

I have a 3060ti so I am good, but the actual files need to be made to download.
Let us know when there is something to download, otherwise just pie in the sky for now.

IF i am wrong and this is a simple button press and "add rtx" then color me shocked, but I don't believe it until i see it on my pc.
You could watch the video, it addresses all of this.

The tool has built in AI upscaling for textures, as well as AI to turn flat textures into physically based materials.

It also has its own editor, and doesn't need to use a game's existing mod tools, so making changes and updates where the AI gets something wrong is easier than it would be with traditional modding. In the video they show making the paper in the paper lanterns opaque. The idea here is that it makes these things easy, even for games that don't have great mod support.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Didn't see a thread specifically for it, and I thought that it deserved one, so

I'm in awe, honestly. This shit is bonkers.

Will work with Directx 8 and 9 games, so the possibilities are huge

Not only it will make modding easier, but adding Reflex and DLSS to old games is nuts

To me, this is by far the best news from today's conference

It is really impressive but this would be so weird, off and just artificial.
I replay my classics as they were. I just change resolution and framerate

Ivan

It is a great idea, but I don't like mods personally, especially messing with some legendary stuff. I don't like some random guy doing a revision of some great designer's work from the past. I'd hate that type of revisionism in movies too.
But as a technology it is great and it will surely lead to many interesting things. But not for me personally.

And ray tracing might be the worst possible match for old games where you have everything looking ancient with lighting THAT advanced. I hate every single one of those demos...

Last edited:

Neilg

I'm not sure how it would work on such games, it's using pre rendered lightmaps, so if you were to add ray tracing on top of that, it would look wrong and doubled. I imagine you would have to go through all materials and remove the lightmaps everywhere? But then it's not sure that the real time lighting would manage to get a similar mood as the prerendered one.
Light maps aren't baked into the textures, they're saved in a separate channel and multiplied against the textures in real time - it how they can be masked or have dynamic elements.

If this tool can pull out all 3d assets and build pbr materials adding roughness & normal maps to materials that didn't have them, scrapping a lightmap channel is no problem.

Everyone thinking this is a one click thing needs to get their expectations in check though. You need a few people working for a while just to capture everything and convert it. Anything resembling a remaster is a ton more work. This is not automatic, it's just makes something that was previously impossible, possible - assuming you are already an artist/game developer looking to do a passion project with friends.

Last edited:
I spent a couple thousand hours modding in Fallout 4. I replaced every single texture map in Fallout 4, many I remade myself with new bump maps and new specular maps in the original art style and I retouched many I found on mod sites. I also replaced nearly all the game's lights with shadow casting light sources. A program like this would have not only saved me time but in many cases the AI upscales textured might have looked better with a simple click.

This looks pretty easy to use and would be a great way to update old games with fuzzy textures without butchering the art direction. Many of the PC games from 2000 and beyond could benefit massively from this. Games that feature what I refer to as "pudding textures" that were clearly directly brought over from console versions of the same game without upscaling. In some cases texture packs found on mod sites fix it but more often than not the textures don't match the original art direction and quite often a game just didn't see enough mod interest to get texture artists making texture packs for the game.

This could make modding games more appealing to people who might otherwise not have the time it takes to do it all manually.

Last edited:

Banned
I'm not sure how it would work on such games, it's using pre rendered lightmaps, so if you were to add ray tracing on top of that, it would look wrong and doubled. I imagine you would have to go through all materials and remove the lightmaps everywhere? But then it's not sure that the real time lighting would manage to get a similar mood as the prerendered one.

well it depends how flexible these tools are.

I think for Mirror's Edge all it really needs is RT reflections given that you're constantly near or next to skyscraper windows and indoor areas with smooth reflective floors

so if you can use this tool to only add RT reflections then it would look just right imo

Hugare

You are right

I think for Mirrors Edge they could add only RT AO/Shadows and RT Reflections. Don't think that it would break the baked lighting sollution.

We will probably see, because Mirrors Edge RT was leaked along Bioshock RT on that Nvidia leak.

What I'm actually really excited here is not RT itself, but DLSS.

How will it behave alongside TAA and other AA from the past? Will it override them? Add on top of them? (ugh)

I'm excited for the Digital Foundry breakdown

Pejo

Bookmarking this thread to watch the vid/read it after work, but this sounds amazing if it works as advertised.

I wonder what the performance overhead is for something like this? Obviously older games have the most benefit and probably won't feel a performance hit, but I wonder about 360/PS3 gen stuff, where the line will be. Great that it's on any Vulkan capable card though.

Last edited:

Fbh

Gold Member
Plenty of BC games on xbox one got a 4k resolution update for free.

Not every company is greedy.

But there is no denying that pc is the superior platform for this. You can mod games to fry your GPU with insane texture packs.

Yeah I have to be fair to MS, they have been pretty good with this.
My comment was more targeted at Nintendo and specially Sony.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Nvidia: Here's DX8+ games converted to 4K RTX for free, thanks to the dark magics of Satan himself #PCMR
Sony: Here's a couple of PS1 games on your PS5. They're online only, $16 a month, no resolution, performance, visual, audio, loading, or control improvements #FuckYou

*pats his RTX 3090*

So Nvidia will be giving away all these games? That's pretty cool!

Holammer

Imagine Dark Souls with this? So much PS360 era geometry and lighting that could be improved. Take Dark Souls Remaster and give it another remaster pass.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Absolute wizardry.

But still, I don't see myself ever using this. Games should be played (imho) as the devs intended. Messing around with the atmosphere and looks of an old game by injecting RTX into it could really alter the experience, which is not something I want when playing old games, or any games for that matter.

Still amazing to see this kind of stuff. Wonder what will nvidia come up next.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
replay skyrim 🤢
Literally started a new run like a month ago (then paused because i need like 2 free months to waste on that game).

The thing is, i rarely replay very old games and rtx on shitty graphic does absolutely nothing for me in term of appeal:pie_pensive:

Last edited:
Top Bottom