• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East Bay jogger kills 15-pound pug with a kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

MormaPope

Banned
The kick a 15 pound dog defense force is probably one of the worst defense forces in a while. Some of you are playing devil's advocate for a jogger that kicked a dog to death, think about that.

Dogs aren't made of wet napkin and peanut butter, little dogs can play and fuck around with big dogs, they do it all the time. You don't accidentally kill an animal by running into it, that isn't a fucking kick, that's tripping over an animal, something that rarely damages an animal over 10 pounds. A less forceful kick wouldn't kill a pug.

Reset

people seem to be ignoring the fact that the dog was running back to the owner so him kicking it wasn't even a reaction

That's not a fact.
Anyway I don't care how big a dog is, if a dog without a leasg runs at me out of no where. I'd kick it too, I'm not going to take a chance of getting bit.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Why the fuck are the dog kicking defense force bringing up a biting Pug? The dude ADMITTED to kicking the dog and doesn't claim it "ran in front of him" nor claim it bit him.

He is a flat out asshole. Quit the ridiculous justifications for kicking a pocket sized defenseless dog. Fucks sake.

RM8

The kick a 15 pound dog defense force is probably one of the worst defense forces in a while. Some of you are playing devil's advocate for a jogger that kicked a dog to death, think about that.

Dogs aren't made of wet napkin and peanut butter, little dogs can play and fuck around with big dogs, they do it all the time. You don't accidentally kill an animal by running into it, that isn't a fucking kick, that's tripping over an animal, something that rarely damages an animal over 10 pounds. A less forceful kick wouldn't kill a pug.
This. You can defend from a pug without freaking murdering it.

anaron

exactly

he booted the poor thing enough to kill and had absolutely no reason whatsoever to charge at a small animal with that much force.

Gaaah, what a horrible story. That poor, defenseless pug...

What the heck was the jogger thinking? Kicking the dog is never the way to handle the situation. Especially when it's a toy-sized dog that's
almost
completely harmless.

Unless the jogger has a veritable dog phobia or something to explain such an insane reaction, I don't see why this should end well for them.

Seems like there are a lot of little dog owners who don't like leash laws in this thread.

the one thing almost everyone in the thread agrees on is that the lady absolutely should have had both pugs leashed. I don't think there's a single post up in here that says otherwise.

So I should just let an untrained pug keep on biting me then...?

Pug never bit him. Pug didn't bite anyone.

If you're incapable of stopping a 10 pound dog from harming you, I don't think you'd fair too well against a pissed off dog owner who just had his or her dog kicked.

I can use any reasonable means to protect myself from getting bitten. If something below knee level is trying to bite me, the logical thing to do is kick it.

And idiot dog owners that leave your dogs off a leash, please do assault me after I defended myself from being bitten by your stupid mutt that YOU left off the leash. I'll be happy to file a lawsuit against you.

RM8

the one thing almost everyone in the thread agrees on is that the lady absolutely should have had both pugs leashed. I don't think there's a single post up in here that says otherwise.

Pug never bit him. Pug didn't bite anyone.
This too. The "it's okay to kill a pug" crowd would benefit from reading again.

Fusebox

Banned
Big difference between your pug staring at me and your pug biting me.

I don't care if it's the smallest dog. If your dog bites me I'll get it off me. What do you expect me to do? Let it keep biting me..?

Keep up the internet tough guy act. A lot of people here are.

Tough guy? You're the one who keeps making up these biting scenarios just so you can tell everyone how tough you'll be toward the dog. Also, seriously, being attacked by a tiny dog is funny, stop pretending its a life or death scenario, grab them by the scruff and laugh, don't be a dumb cunt and lash out at it.

Volimar

This too. The "it's okay to kill a pug" crowd would benefit from some proofreading.

There's a difference between saying it's okay to kill a pug, which no one is saying, and saying that you understand why a startled jogger might lash out if an unleashed dog runs up to him. Can we stop with this?

Just so w're clear, this murderer went out of his way to kick this dog, then went out his way again to call the police to report it? Sounds reasonable.

Also, have any of you been running in your life? Do we need to bring out the high school physics force diagrams?

Anyways, there is waaaay too much crazy being drank in this thread, not worth the time.

BPoole

I can use any reasonable means to protect myself from getting bitten. If something below knee level is trying to bite me, the logical thing to do is kick it.

And idiot dog owners that leave your dogs off a leash, please do assault me after I defended myself from being bitten by your stupid mutt that YOU left off the leash. I'll be happy to file a lawsuit against you.
Good luck convincing a jury that the 10-15 pound dog posed a threat to your life, therefore you had to kill it and then are suing the owner for wrecking you

pharmx

Personal experience has taught me that these two groups don't converge as much as you'd think. Most people I've interacted with in my life who fantasize about beating people to a pulp for hurting their dog also ardently defend their right to not use a leash. That's why I said what I did, at least.

I can't speak for the other people, but my views align more with what zen said. Dogs should always be on a leash, except in designated areas like dog parks.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Seems like there are a lot of little dog owners who don't like leash laws in this thread.
I've got a little dog (miniature schnauzer) and his ass stays leashed when we're out unless we're in a no-leash park. Same with my older, much bigger boxer before he passed. As a dog owner, I'm responsible for my animal. Period. The law says keep them on a leash with the exception of certain zones, that's what you do.

Syriel

If your dog comes running in my direction without a leash, then I won't be sorry. Someone that I know had a traumatic encounter with a dog, that plus some stuff that happened with me on the past regarding dogs makes me wary of them.

I don't care if it is a pitbull or a chihuahua, I don't know if you vaccinate your dog so I won't risk it.

You're more likely to get attacked/bitten by a chihuahua than a pit bull.

Judging by a number of posts in here, that's basically what they're suggesting what the average person would do. Lets keep it in check here. At 15lbs, you're kicking something that weighs less than the average one year old. Shit's pretty bad.

I wouldn't place a whole lot of importance on weight. I've seen dogs and cats under 15 lbs that can do serious damage. Little =! safe.

people seem to be ignoring the fact that the dog was running back to the owner so him kicking it wasn't even a reaction

Maybe because there is zero proof that is actually the case?

The dog owner claims the hiker kicked the dog as it was running back to her.

The hiker claims he kicked the dog away as it was charging him.

Both are contradictory and nothing can prove either one. Yet, you claim what the dog owners says as fact.

Your definition of fact seems to differ from that of most people (and the dictionary).

Soi-Fong

Tough guy? You're the one who keeps making up these biting scenarios just so you can tell everyone how tough you'll be toward the dog. Also, seriously, being attacked by a tiny dog is funny, stop pretending its a life or death scenario, grab them by the scruff and laugh, don't be a dumb cunt and lash out at it.

I'm not making up biting scenarios. I'm responding to the fact that you'd beat up anyone who would dare kick your pug even in self defense because your pug bit someone.

Most people instinctively would kick off something biting them. Not "grab them by the scruff." Not everyone is a pet owner and knows the mannerisms of your pet.

Edit: If I was a pet owner and a bad pet owner and didn't keep my dog on a leash and it bit someone and that someone kicked my dog in self defense, I wouldn't beat them up and go apeshit like an animal on that somebody.

depths20XX

You think he cared to not harm the dog?

Well he was jogging at speed and says he tapped it out of the way. I'm guessing his 'tap' was a lot more forceful than he bargained for.

I really dunno as this story is basically a he said she said. I think comparing a kid coming up to you with a dog is pretty goof though.

Should have kept a dog on the leash., don't blame him for defending himself from a dog that ran at him without a leash.

602d825c-0280-4a99-878d-de6f9e5ad712.gif

The thundering paws bore down upon him with alarming swiftness, verily.

Also, have any of you been running in your life? Do we need to bring out the high school physics force diagrams?

I run a couple miles every morning at the park. I've had nearly this exact scenario play out before with a pit bull.

Ran around, didn't kick or attempt to fuck with the dog. Somehow, I'm completely in tact and didn't have to kill an animal.

Loofy

If he only tapped the dog, then he probably would have kept running and went about his day.
Instead.. he knew he fucked up after kicking it hard and decided to call the cops so he could make his own version of the story.

THRILLH0

Banned
I've kicked a small dog whilst jogging. It came after me, ran under my feet and got punted about five yards. It's owner was outside. I didn't stop.. It was ok and still chases me, but now at a distance.

Did it just get tangled up in your feet or did you deliberately kick it?

I haven't read one person arguing that the dog didn't need to be on a leash. I havent seen it, and if someone is they are the only one.This is about the jogger's excessive use of force to kill a dog. The amount of force necessary for 1 kick to kill a pug gives me little doubt that the kick was intentionally meant to hurt the dog.

anaron

the dog should have been on a leash that's already been established. The dog also didn't attack or harm the jogger in any sort of way so how exactly did a pug warrant getting kicked, exactly?

what if she had escaped from a backyard or ran out of a car?

I think people need to understand this mentality isn't universal in the world. It's a very western way of thinking.

Not everyone in the world values a dog or cat or any pet in the same stature as their own children.
I'm glad to finally see someone else say this. The whole "this animal is a member of our family" attitude has always kind of baffled me.

I'm glad to finally see someone else say this. The whole "this animal is a member of our family" attitude has always kind of baffled me.
I think that could be interesting thing to discuss, even thread worthy if someone would like make one.

I, for example, would choose my dogs life over random kid or even over my wifes cousins kid (closest kid to me in my current life). And this is thing I have thought a lot.

anaron

Yeah, still don't see a problem with what the jogger did. Don't care what type of dog it is, if it's unleashed and running at me, I'd have the same reaction.
It's kinda disturbing that you've prepared yourself to do such a thing regardless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom