• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East Bay jogger kills 15-pound pug with a kick

Status
Not open for further replies.

HariKari

This makes me more angry at the owner than the kicker to be honest.

Yeah, I've had a dog run out in front of my car (barely stopped in time) off leash in my neighborhood. Owner yelled at me as if I did something wrong. Put your dogs on a leash. It's the law for a reason. Doesn't make kicking a pug an appropriate response but the owner is at fault here.

Yeah, I've had a dog run out in front of my car (barely stopped in time) off leash in my neighborhood. Owner yelled at me as if I did something wrong. Put your dogs on a leash. It's the law for a reason. Doesn't make kicking a pug an appropriate response but the owner is at fault here.

No, but if a dog was running loose around my KID, and it bared it's teeth or anything even remotely threatening, it's going through the Uprights for a Field Goal.

The dog owner was an IDIOT for letting it run free - the owner is Ultimately the reason the dog is dead.

They failed to follow the law. Period.

Jeff-DSA

Again: Fear is not a good reason to kick the shit out of something.

By definition phobias are not rational. This runner could have been absolutely terrified and acting out of pure instinct or reaction. You can't judge the reaction to a situation that they did not create and it put them into a threatened state.

Sure, a reasonable reaction would have been to not kill the dog, but we don't even know if that was his intent to begin with.

It's called phobia for a reason. An unreasonable fear of something.

Not everyone has undying love for dogs.

Some people here really have to broaden their perspectives a bit and try to understand the joggers reasoning before crucifying him.

Based off some of the posts in this thread, every single "KILL IT WITH FIRE" thread about spiders or bugs in a person's house is unreasonable and childish because they are so small.

OmegaFax

This isn't totally on topic but I'd walked in a Petsmart a week or two ago. People are allowed to bring their animals to shop with them in the store. There was a couple walking in behind me with a dog. I overheard them talking to another person nonchalantly saying, "It's a stray" ... nearly turned my head and said "What the fuck?"

There's a sign that tells people that they their animals need to have their vaccinations, etc before walking into the store. It wasn't a small dog either. No one knows what kind of disease this dog might have or pass on to other dogs or the temperament of the animal. I'm pretty sure the store is at odds all the time with enforcing the policy but come on, people, good will doesn't mean at the expense of endangering everyone in the store. I zigzagged around another aisle and left. Least it was leashed ... big deal in public places.

I'm afraid of dogs. Small ones are the worst ... territorial, ankle biters. When I was a kid, my aunts had small pomeranians and chihuahuas and they'd tear holes in my socks or chase me around. I know different breeds, owners, etc ... make for a variety of temperaments but I can't stand around and guess. I don't know your dog. Do not want a canine breaking my skin.

Honestly, no idea how I'd react in a situation with an unleashed dog.

x-Lundz-x

Given that there was no autopsy on the dog, it could have been anything. The owner had the dog cremated before an autopsy could be done to determine cause of death.

Absolutely, the coincidence of all coincidences hit and dog could have died from anything. It just so happen someone kicked it minutes before it died, which has been admitted, that he kicked the dog. Let's hold on to the .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% that some pug disease killed it at that exact moment and not the actions of the jogger.

Come on now, you are telling me you need an autopsy? GTFO of here with that.

It's called phobia for a reason. An unreasonable fear of something.

Not everyone has undying love for dogs.

Some people here really have to broaden their perspectives a bit and try to understand the joggers reasoning before crucifying him.

I'm just not seeing where it says the jogger has some sort of fear of dogs. I'm entirely open to the idea of him having a phobia, but I dont see that anywhere in the article.

Kettch

Full grown adult humans have died to a single punch before. Often in fact. Living things are fragile. I don't understand why people think a small 15 pound dog would never die from someone simply trying to kick it away. There is no "required killing intent" here.

This is just one of many reasons why we have leash laws.

If your dog comes running in my direction without a leash, then I won't be sorry. Someone that I know had a traumatic encounter with a dog, that plus some stuff that happened with me on the past regarding dogs makes me wary of them.

I don't care if it is a pitbull or a chihuahua, I don't know if you vaccinate your dog so I won't risk it.

blakep267

I'm not a fan of dogs. If a dog slowly trots over to me, I won't really react. Ex I was at the beach and a random golden retriever slowly walked over to me with a water bottle in its mouth. While confused at how it knew I was thirsty, I just petted it and it went on its way. Now if it had come sprinting full speed towards me id go into defensive mode and prepare to unleash a flurry of blows the likes of which this world has never seen before.

So I can see from the standpoint of the jogger. IF anything randomly comes at me I'm gonna try and run/ defend.

How am I supposed to know that your sweet little dog means no harm.

This runner could have been absolutely terrified and acting out of pure instinct or reaction.

We don't have to use a hypothetical, though. The video in the article linked by the OP features police stating the jogger was frightened by the pug, and claimed to have been previously bitten by a small dog on a run.

That said, the police did not say that the man suffered a phobia, or that his fear of the pug went beyond any sort of knee-jerk reaction to seeing a tiny fuzzy thing running at/alongside him. If he was phobic, it likely would have been mentioned, as there's no way this guy doesn't take care to mention he's scared of all dogs while he's being interviewed by the police that he called to the scene, especially if he makes sure to mention previous bites he's gotten while running.

I pushed him off of me and told his mother to control her kid. We are related, I'm not going to punch a kid either way, but I'm especially not going to whack a kid in the head at a family get together.

Who is doing that? What is the difference between kicking a 15lb dog off that you think is attacking you and kicking a 40lb child off you who you know is doing something to harm you? Either way you're just trying to get a small threat away from you.

You shouldn't be kicking a dog any more then you should be kicking a kid.

so when u attended this family gathering was their a sign on the way in that specified kids must be kept on a leash?

and why the hell are u comparing a dog to a child anyway? they are not the same thing no matter what rspca say

Based off some of the posts in this thread, every single "KILL IT WITH FIRE" thread about spiders or bugs in a person's house is unreasonable and childish because they are so small.
People are being exaggerative when they say something like that. If people were actually setting their house on fire because they saw a spider it would be pretty childish and unreasonable. Spiders kill other bugs in your house anyway.

Most of them also don't pose much of a threat, and I would still think a person is an asshole if spiders were commonly held pets and people went around squishing them knowing that it's possible that that spider belonged to someone.

Soi-Fong

I'm just not seeing where it says the jogger has some sort of fear of dogs. I'm entirely open to the idea of him having a phobia, but I dont see that anywhere in the article.

I was responding more to the guy making fun of people who have a fear of dogs whether they be a rottweiler or a small yorkie. The size won't matter in that instance.

We don't know what was going through the joggers head. I just don't want to jump to the conclusion that he pummeled this dog with intention to kill and did a penalty kick on the dog.

Kind of what I was going for lol

lol I gotchu

I was responding more to the guy making fun of people who have a fear of dogs whether they be a rottweiler or a small yorkie. The size won't matter in that instance.

We don't know what was going through the joggers head. I just don't want to jump to the conclusion that he pummeled this dog with intention to kill and did a penalty kick on the dog.

Fair enough, I can agree with that.

Sheroking

If I saw something like this, I really don't know that I could stop myself from beating that fuck to death on the spot.

Hurting animals is my murder trigger.

What are you talking about. Fear is literally the evolutionary response to make an organism defend itself.

We have higher brain function, that's not remotely an excuse unless you're dealing with a mentally handicapped person or something.

Poor dog. : (

The jogger and owner are equally responsible for what happened. He overreacted and she should have had her animals on leashes.

As somone who has a 10 lb dog that I love more than most things, I agree with this. Leash your fucking dog.

depths20XX

Absolutely, the coincidence of all coincidences hit and dog could have died from anything. It just so happen someone kicked it minutes before it died, which has been admitted, that he kicked the dog. Let's hold on to the .0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% that some pug disease killed it at that exact moment and not the actions of the jogger.

It's a pug. Those things are so genetically fucked up I'm pretty sure you could kill one by swatting it with a newspaper.

I know exactly what to expect in these kind of threads but I still dip in now an again just to see if I can wrap my head around pet owners thinking.

As someone that has been chased by a small dog I will say that

1) the breed doesn't particularly matter in the heat of the moment. I couldn't tell you what breed of dog it was that chased me and I certainty couldn't identify it as it was charging me.

2) just because it's a small dog doesnt mean it can't do damage. The one that chased me sliced up my pant legs with its teeth. Fortunately it didn't get my actual leg but if it had it would have drawn blood and of it had gotten my tendon it'd do some major damage. Not to mention the risk I was at of falling and/or breaking or spraining something.

Just because you're comfortable with your animal off a leash doesn't mean the rest of the world should be too.

studyguy

This thread is great.
ebf1c1bc2e78c82b6730ff286cdfba01.jpg

I didn't know so many people were so predisposed to kicking tiny dogs.

This very easily could have been an accident. I once punted a cat down my hallway on accident. it was late and adrk and I was walking to bed. the kitten must have been in front of me becuase on my usual step I must have hooked him on my foot and he went flying down the hall and smacked into the linnen closet door. I was walking normally. I wasnt running or marching or anything. I can imgaine a jogger with some pretty strong legs who was running could have easily booted this dog on a basic run.

Hari Seldon

If I saw something like this, I really don't know that I could stop myself from beating that fuck to death on the spot.

Hurting animals is my murder trigger.

We have higher brain function, that's not remotely an excuse unless you're dealing with a mentally handicapped person or something.

You are running along and some animal comes running at you full speed I'm sure your evolutionary response is going to be to log onto gaf and ask wtf to do.

BPoole

If you can't call her back she shouldn't be off leash. If it's not a dog park she probably shouldn't be off leash either. If it is a dog park and events go as you described then it would be the jogger's fault because it's not reasonable to be surprised by a dog off leash at a dog park. But really you've changed the circumstances a bit from the OP.
This isn't a dog park in my situation, just a regular Park. There one by my house where I walk my dog has a soccer field surrounded by a track for running, and then a playground off to the side. That's the type of setting I am imagining for that hypothetical.

I'm not sure of the exact location from the scenario in the OP, but 15 pounds in a very small dog that realistically can't harm a full grown adult. If the dog was a pit bull or something much larger I can kind of understand being startled and taking the offensive but pugs are not threatening in any way.

You are running along and some animal comes running at you full speed I'm sure your evolutionary response is going to be to log onto gaf and ask wtf to do.
I love how you're saying this like this is the first time this type of thing has happened in the history of the world and like the only reasonable response to this situation was to kick the dog. Dogs come running at people all of the time, all of those dogs don't end up dead.

I've had dogs run up to me before, and thank God I found the strength to go against my animalistic instincts of punting that bastard in the head. It was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

Syriel

Now you're just being irrational and grasping at straws because you seem to have some sort of desire to ascribe murderous intent to the hiker.

There is -zero- proof of any sort that he used excessive force on the dog. This is something that an autopsy could easily provide. If someone did aggressively attack my dog for no reason (as the woman claims) I sure as hell wouldn't be destroying the only evidence that proves it.

What is much more likely is that the hiker did use the minimal amount of force as claimed and the dog still died because of it.

It could have triggered a heart attack.
Cartilage in the nose could have broken off and punctured something.
Dog could have hit its head on a rock as it fell.
etc. etc.

Humans can die from a single punch (that would normally not cause much in the way of damage) if conditions are right.

You seem to be ignoring any and all likely possibilities and jumping straight to "THE HIKER VICIOUSLY KICKED THE DOG FOR NO REASON" because that's what you want to be true. The only problem is there is nothing to support that right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom