• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East coast GAF - Winter storm hitting tonight into Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0M00V720150304?irpc=932

A large winter storm could dump up to a foot of snow on parts of the eastern United States on Wednesday and into Thursday, weather officials said, as a relentless winter continues its onslaught on the region.

Kentucky and West Virginia were forecasted to be the hardest hit, National Weather Service meteorologist Brian Hurley said, with some places facing up to 11 inches of snow or sleet. Areas through the mid-atlantic and the northeast could receive between four and 10 inches as well, he added.

West Virginia Governor Earl Ray Tomblin mobilized the state's national guard on Tuesday ahead of the storm, citing the potential snowfall, rain and possible flooding.

Boston, which posted its coldest February on record, could see up to three inches of snow from the approaching system, said NWS meteorologist Rebecca Gould. If two or more inches fall, the city would surpass its record annual snowfall total of nearly 108 inches, set in 1995-96, Gould said.

The glut of winter storms have taken a toll on the city's commuter ferries and delayed or canceled subway and commuter rail trains over several workdays.

Snow on Sunday and early Monday fell from the nation's capital to New England, leaving five to six inches of fresh accumulation in Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts, according to the National Weather Service.

Eight inches of snow was reported in South Kingston, Rhode Island, the Weather Service said.

terrisus

Psh, yeah right.

They keep promising huge storms.
And it just ends up being disappointing.

Disclaimer: Connecticut

In the DC metro area here. This winter blows, but if it means I get a day at home with my g/f than I'm OK with this.

...I'll prob. still have to work from home..

Fuchsdh

Psh, yeah right.

They keep promising huge storms.
And it just ends up being disappointing.

Disclaimer: Connecticut

Yeah, here in NoVA I've been let down continuously this winter. I might be an adult but I want my snow days, dammit. I refuse to get my hopes up this time.

On the plus side, days I have to go into work where lots of people are staying off the roads are always rather tranquil and quiet which given the traffic and commute times around here is a very nice benefit.

esms

Translation for those in Philly: Looks like we're getting anywhere from a dusting to a foot.

Stock up on booze, though. Just in case.

Clearos

CT reporting in. Last night was the worse as I didn't need rain on my roof while trying to get the ice dams at bay.

This 3 inch snow coming tonight is of no concern. Granted CT drivers drive like there is 15 inches on the highway so might be getting to my hotel late thursday night for Pax East.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Jim Inhofe was right.

150226214526-inhofe-snowball-senate-floor-00000516-exlarge-169.jpg

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm in western Kentucky - expected to get somewhere around 10-15 inches on top of 3 more inches of freezing rain. My university's already closed. Damn.

An-Det

A few inches in my area of CT, so I'll be working from home tomorrow, but the week afterwards looks entirely in the high 30's and sunny with some clouds so hopefully that'll melt a good amount of this fucking snow.

Snow day here in KY. As a courtesy to brace for the nasty weather, it makes sense, but we would have been fine with an early dismissal.

It would have been cutting it close for our bus folks, though, so I think it was the right call. When it gets shitty, it's gonna get shitty quick.

They want as many people off of the roads as possible, basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom