• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East coast GAF - Winter storm hitting tonight into Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really it's February that's the killer. Next week is supposed to be in the 50s in NYC.

That's like how *today* in Boston/MA was supposed to have a high of 48, partly cloud when the predictions were being made a week ago. Then as the days went by, it kept going down.. 46, 43 and cloudy, 41, 38. I think it ended up being 36 and cloudy with off and on snow showers / rain.

This winter will never end.

Oppo

I'm really surprised Boston has a higher snowfall record than Toronto. Our record is a mere 86" I think. Set a long damn time ago too.

Village

beaches_florida(2).jpg

Floridian here, I'll be here waiting for the impact
The caveat is, you live in florida.

I can handle some snow

This is weather not infrastructure, good infrastructure means that those roads will be in excellent condition the next day.

as opposed to them looking like this after flooding in almost every northern state.

i'll take the chances of driving over a collapsing bridge vs ... living in florida
I understand, not everyone can afford to live minutes away from a beach.

Edit: You live in Cali, how's the crippling drought coming along over there?

Laekon

This is weather not infrastructure, good infrastructure means that those roads will be in excellent condition the next day.

as opposed to them looking like this after flooding in almost every northern state.

I understand, not everyone can afford to live minutes away from a beach.

Edit: You live in Cali, how's the crippling drought coming along over there?

The drought has no effect on the average person in So Cal. Everyone still waters their yard and washes their car like nothing is going on. What will happen is that in another year or 2 crops might fail and food prices will soar for everyone. It's been a rainy spring and the wild flowers are out all over.

Why don't you post some pictures of how Floridia looks after a hurricane. Hurricane Sandy wasn't just some regular flooding.

LOLDSFAN

Looks like 2-6 inches of snow and a quarter of an inch of ice in Nashville tonight.

Hope they close campus again like they did a few weeks ago. :>

That would mean an early Spring Break for me and one less midterm I'd have to take.

Quikies83

In Mississippi and this is totally crazy... It topped off at 82 today... 61 right now... Will be below freezing in 2 hours.
Don't remember a day where I had both the ac and the heater running.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
That's like how *today* in Boston/MA was supposed to have a high of 48, partly cloud when the predictions were being made a week ago. Then as the days went by, it kept going down.. 46, 43 and cloudy, 41, 38. I think it ended up being 36 and cloudy with off and on snow showers / rain.

This winter will never end.
It was still pretty nice, though. The only downside to the melting that's actually started to happen recently are the enormous puddles of sludge that we'll be dealing with for the next few weeks. I wonder when the next time I'll be able to leave home without boots will be.

BPoole

I'm driving up to Ohio tomorrow for the Arnold Classic. This is probably going to screw with my travel time :/

J-Rzez

Damn this winter to hell. So much snow and ice. But the cold has been the biggest issue for me. having so many back issues the cold doesn't help one bit. My back only reacts favorably to heat.

PA btw. Looks like another 3-6 inches for me. Fuck. I just chopped up all the ice today in the driveway and reduced the snowbanks.

Subitai

Damn this winter to hell. So much snow and ice. But the cold has been the biggest issue for me. having so many back issues the cold doesn't help one bit. My back only reacts favorably to heat.

PA btw. Looks like another 3-6 inches for me. Fuck. I just chopped up all the ice today in the driveway and reduced the snowbanks.
Basically the same for me in PA.

Alucrid

Banned
It looks like the snow is coming all during the day. Late enough to not call out but enough to make the drive home a pain in the ass. Fuck you mother nature

ugh, terrible timing for the DC area, snow is coming down just as we're supposed to begin the work commute and I'm pretty sure my office is too stubborn to close early.

think im going to just be preemptive this morning and just call out

I probably could have made it to work, but with how far I have to drive + how little I get paid + its still snowing and won't stop till after I get out + I have sick days to burn = gonna enjoy my day off

3phemeral

I feel bad for you East coasters that get the bulk of all this winter snow. Tuesday we had a few inches in Michigan that was just torrential, but the temperature was around 30 degrees so it melted with all the salt that was already dispersed on the roads.

Since moving here, the only time I've experienced an actual, proper Spring was 3 years ago where it seemingly changed overnight. Straight from sub 30 degree whether to 70 degrees and the plants sprung up in what seemed like a week. Man, that was amazingly beautiful. Those kinds of Springs never happen in SoCal.

Chibits12

Banned
North of Baltimore here and it is starting to snow. I can't work at home since I have no internet. Looks like I'll be working Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom