• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

East coast GAF - Winter storm hitting tonight into Thursday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liljagare

Haha, and here in middle Sweden spring has allready arrived, barely had any winter, seems it went to the USA this year, not complaining.. :)

Working from home here in Bethesda, MD. Surprised how late it started but it's coming down pretty hard, I imagine by noon it will be crazy around here.

Nightz

I'm in MD as well. Definitely not making the work commute to DC today. Only working a half-day from home. Stay warm, friends!

Chucker

Eastern Shore of MD and it just started here, which makes it dangerous since I work in Annapolis and my wife works in Severna Park. It's gonna get worse and we can't just call out for "nothing".

Bleh

Eastern Shore of MD and it just started here, which makes it dangerous since I work in Annapolis and my wife works in Severna Park. It's gonna get worse and we can't just call out for "nothing".

Bleh

I grew up on the Eastern Shore, and I remember what snow does down there. Good luck, and call out. It's not nothing if roads are dangerous.

BokehKing

Banned
It'd been snowing twice a week on long Island for the last 3 months

Winter is Coming
Wyte walkers any second now

Snowed on my birthday (groundhogs day)
boom, 6 more weeks of winter

Work didn't close so I went in. Soon as I started driving I regretted my decision. Not enough people are even here to get anything done. We will no doubts close in a couple of hours. Its moments like this that I wish HR would let us work from home.

I feel like this is the first time it's not hitting Boston the hardest! Woo!

Although at this point, I would rather we just get a few inches and break the record.

I feel like this is the first time it's not hitting Boston the hardest! Woo!

Although at this point, I would rather we just get a few inches and break the record.

IMO it still takes the cake for "shittiest winter on record".

Everyone and everything up here is irritable at this point. Just depressing.

Fuchsdh

...and I'm at work, because my boss is from Chicago, apparently.

Hopefully I can nip out early though.

Work didn't close so I went in. Soon as I started driving I regretted my decision. Not enough people are even here to get anything done. We will no doubts close in a couple of hours. Its moments like this that I wish HR would let us work from home.

I don't understand why telework isn't more popular, especially in the DC area where commutes are generally horrible. I can do motion graphics or edit from anywhere; we have fast internet, fast hard drives, and fast home computers (hell, my computer at home is better than the one I'm using at work). Nothing will replace an in-person critique or the speed of showing a client the newest renders, but it's amazing how most workplaces haven't caught up to reality.

Chucker

I grew up on the Eastern Shore, and I remember what snow does down there. Good luck, and call out. It's not nothing if roads are dangerous.
Posting from my office like an idiot. All other financial institutions are closed and here we are.

My wife pulled over after the bay bridge called her boss and turned around. She had our daughter with her and is currently pregnant so she decided to rightfully throw in the towel.

Now we wait, and hopefully the CEO calls it before roads get too stupid.

I checked outside at 6 AM and called the work hotline; opening normally, just rain outside. Figure we dodged it.

Wake up at 7:30...DOUSED IN SNOW

Just waiting on the call for early work dismissal. It's coming down too fast and too hard to not call it a day.

DriftedPlanet

Unconfirmed Member
Our campus is shut down (Woo no midterm this morning!), and at least our dining hall is still open. Wasn't aware BaltiGaf was a thing but glad to see you guys are out there.

NYC here. It's coming down hard and looks like there's an inch+ already sticking (after last night's rain gloriously washed some of the old dirty snow and ice away).

Fuck winter. I've fucking had it.

terrisus

Hardly even got any snow here in central CT, but wife is off work anyway.
Meh, we need to do packing for moving next week anyway.

highrider

Banned
Bethesda Maryland. It's looking pretty serious now. I didn't go in, not worth the danger trying to get home. Netflix and The Order, are in order today. Winter, go home, you drunk.

atomsk

Party Pooper
central jersey here, was raining when I first woke up around 5:30, went back to sleep and got up at 7, been snowing since then.

thankfully I've got no plans to go anywhere today

coopolon

Feel bad for people who had to go in today, the roads are going to be awful getting home. I'm glad most places made the call to close based on the forecast even though it was just raining until 7 am.

It will be interesting to see how much snow we get, the forecasts have been really high but they're almost always wrong in March. When Justin Berk is saying it's not going to be bad then you know it's gonna disappoint, that guy is always at least two inches too high.

here's hoping Baltimore plows my road sometime today!

Visiting New York for the first time this next week. Will be there for about 5 days. I'm from Las Vegas and California weather, what should I expect? Heavy jackets and scarves, right? I'm completely new to this type of weather and I've only been twice anywhere where it was actively snowing.

someone who lives in the uk i sometimes wish we could get snow like this our weather is boring as hell

It starts off pretty and novel then it just ruins everything. It fucks up travel, it makes walking around miserable (slush, huge icy puddles everywhere), filthy black and grey snow piles up. It just fucking sucks.

Baskcm

It starts off pretty and novel then it just ruins everything. It fucks up travel, it makes walking around miserable (slush, huge icy puddles everywhere), filthy black and grey snow piles up. It just fucking sucks.

I shall have to take your word for it since we get jack shit here.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
What a crappy day. Today is my b-day, supposed drive to Boston with some friends for PAX. Looks like that might not happen today.

I want to get my drink on already. Going to play it on the safe side so I can stay focus and help my friends out on the road just in case we do drive out.

Shadybiz

Southern NJ here. I actually went in to work today, but left after rush hour. I have the option of working home, so I took it. Now at home...downloading reports mindlessly, but it's enough to fill the day.

GodofWine

Southern NJ here. I actually went in to work today, but left after rush hour. I have the option of working home, so I took it. Now at home...downloading reports mindlessly, but it's enough to fill the day.

Slacker....(I know him, its a joke).

As a state government employee I was happy to have an adult snow day, and even happier looking at the 7 day forecast..50??? Sunny??? HOLY HELL

Its coming down good in zip 08054 right now...my kids are home, that means no 'daddy video games'...and I'll have to play in the horrible white stuff with my daughter (5), my son (3) hates snow.

Western Maryland/Northern West Virginia here. It's coming down pretty hard. Visibility sucks and the roads are a hot mess. I'm at work. At least I didn't have to walk to the office though.

Chorazin

Snowed in here in Southern PA, the roads sucked this morning and its just been coming down steady since then.

Oh well, great day to binge watch House of Cards!

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Visiting New York for the first time this next week. Will be there for about 5 days. I'm from Las Vegas and California weather, what should I expect? Heavy jackets and scarves, right? I'm completely new to this type of weather and I've only been twice anywhere where it was actively snowing.

Don't forget gloves and a good pair of boots.

VanWinkle

iSkonC7HtRNb8.jpg

ibpUZ6WWioBHZp.jpg

Not snowing very hard anymore, but there is about a foot of snow.

Chucker

Rumor around the office is we're closing at noon. This will work, if true.
Edit: aaaand there is the email! Came in for 2 hours, what a wreck.

ramuh

Didn't have work today here in MD. Snow day! Thinking about getting out and hitting up the Green Turtle.

Southeast Georgia guy. Partly cloudy 77 with a constant, strong breeze. Huge gusts are blowing through. This is what dreams are made of!

elp21

Neo Member
NYC here. Kinda wish de blasio made a huge deal outta the snow like last time so work might have been canceled

daveo42

Banned
I was actually disappointed by the amount of snow we got over night. We were expecting 7-10" and came away with a dusting. The plus side being not having to dive in that much snow makes up for it I suppose.

LProtag

Southern CT here. School was cancelled, so I didn't have to go in to work.

Not massive amounts of accumulation based on what we've had before, but I've still got to put some work into shoveling. My roommates went to work so I have to shovel them back in myself... which is getting annoying at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom