• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

m@cross

Sorry, going with Wilfred for Ben. Wanna watch some bootleg OVA's in my basement after school?

Ben_Willfred.jpg

Ahahaha! This is actually pretty good.

Thanks, happy my 30min of photoshop gave you a chuckle.

To be fair as well, I listen to a lot of podcasts. The only ones that have survived are Giant Bomb and 8-4 Play and Bosman is the best in the biz. But based on one episode of Frame Trap, EZA have the second best the biz and Ben has no experience. The Company easily has the best two people for the jobs.
I love Bosman as much as the next guy, but the best in the business is pushing it a little. Brad is a great host as well, and if we are talking overall as podcasters, Jeff Gertsmann has about everyone beat. It's astonishing how knowledgeable and insightful he can be about the videogame industry.

That being said, I'm about to start my own podcast and Kyle is certainly one of the main people I look up to as an example of a great podcaster/host. Gerstmann being too far in the distance in terms of knowledge and experience to even consider.

I love Bosman as much as the next guy, but the best in the business is pushing it a little. Brad is a great host as well, and if we are talking overall as podcasters, Jeff Gertsmann has about everyone beat. It's astonishing how knowledgeable and insightful he can be about the videogame industry.

That being said, I'm about to start my own podcast and Kyle is certainly one of the main people I look up to as an example of a great podcaster/host. Gerstmann being too far in the distance in terms of knowledge and experience to even consider.

Being a good host isn't just about knowledge, there are a lot of subtle skills involved in being able to ask probing, insightful questions and making sure to include all voices in a natural manner. Kyle is fantastic at that. He participates without dominating and effortlessly keeps everyone involved. At Giant Bomb it was Ryan Davis that really excelled in those areas.

Lexad

As said by the previous poster, the knowledge is actually much less important, especially if you don't want to dominate the conversation. Kyle keeps it very low key and picks up on when to move to a new topic or keep them on one. That has nothing to do with industry knowledge. The social skills required to host a podcast/discussion is far more important.

As said by the previous poster, the knowledge is actually much less important, especially if you don't want to dominate the conversation. Kyle keeps it very low key and picks up on when to move to a new topic or keep them on one. That has nothing to do with industry knowledge. The social skills required to host a podcast/discussion is far more important.

Yep it is actually my main gripe about the Bombcast, in that it becomes the Jeff and Brad cast mostly. I want to hear more from Ryckert and Drew and Jason. Beastcast is much more evenly distributed. And yea Kyle forces people to explain their stance on things and pokes at people even if the question is rhetorical to him.

Spman2099

Yep it is actually my main gripe about the Bombcast, in that it becomes the Jeff and Brad cast mostly. I want to hear more from Ryckert and Drew and Jason. Beastcast is much more evenly distributed. And yea Kyle forces people to explain their stance on things and pokes at people even if the question is rhetorical to him.

Absolutely this. Kyle is great at getting people to divulge their reasoning. More importantly, he is good at it without being overly combative or shrill.

Shane Satterfield used to be really good at forcing people to explain their position, but he would often become accusatory, and would start to berate people at times. He would just become too personally involved and would occasionally begin to dominate people who were saying things he didn't agree with.

So yeah, I really appreciate what a great job Kyle does moderating these discussions.

I just want to say that I love Kyle attitude towards the "news of the week" better than the standard Gestermann reaction. Jeff has probably seen too much shit and he is now a little (just a little) jaded. Kyle could take a better ind-depth look at the info is divulging though. It is such a popular podcast, after all, so I think this is a fair criticism.
Nonetheless his ability to make people talk is great, poking at them, but letting them speak their reasoning, it sometimes reminds me of what Ryan Davis did.

Visceir

Doesn't twitch terms force videogame streaming?

I could see it as a spin off of tabletop escapades, like those Fiasco eps.

They've changed the terms. Seems like they allow all kinds of stuff now, including cooking shows.

Oh, that makes me sad. Really enjoyed the first episode

Going by what Ben said on a stream it'll be different members too next time around. I would have actually liked if it was just the same 4 members every time with the occasional 5th. Build that chemistry and bond!

Going by what Ben said on a stream it'll be different members too next time around. I would have actually liked if it was just the same 4 members every time with the occasional 5th. Build that chemistry and bond!

At the very least I'd like to see Brad be a permanent chair, since he doesn't have his own show to feature in regularly.

Hasney

I think all of them have chemistry and bond already, so happy to see it all rotate.

Visceir

I think all of them have chemistry and bond already

Yeah, a bond like really-really good co-workers would have. I don't mean it in a bad way, but it definitely felt like they were learning things about eachother too during that podcast.

I'm curious to see how the second episode with different members is going to turn out.

Hasney

Bosmans descent into madness with Power Ranger Samurai is too good. "That was perfect.... That was perfect.... How dare you..."

sora87

Didn't have anything to eat with my tacos tonight (just tacos, not pizza sadly) so put on the castlevania retro. Forgot how bloody great the music is in this series.

UrbanRats

Oh, that makes me sad. Really enjoyed the first episode
I think it makes sense, it's a 2 hours podcast, they could run dry if it was every week.
Two weeks gives them enough time to "accumulate" enough material (games they got to play in the past days and such).

Well Jeff is knowledgeable and really funny. That's a good combination. As I said before, I love both of them, and with Jeff I specifically qualified it as podcaster over all, not just host.

To be honest I would absolutely love a Kyle hosted podcast with Jeff Gertsmann in it. Both are great.

TheCalGee

Well Jeff is knowledgeable and really funny. That's a good combination. As I said before, I love both of them, and with Jeff I specifically qualified it as podcaster over all, not just host.

To be honest I would absolutely love a Kyle hosted podcast with Jeff Gertsmann in it. Both are great.

That may cause a vortex to appear in the studio.

wiibomb

amazing TTE...

the shade thrown in the beginning and the awesomeness of the rest of the episode..

can't believe the grain got so important.

Also, huge props to ben, it really helped to let the others just do their own story, the interactions were amazing.

wmlk

Man, I know Kyle props up Gen I and is a fan of all the games, but I never once heard him praise any of the other games and their achievements. The great thing about Pokémon is that because it sticks to its roots, there are clear improvements that you can see with each instalment. There are also setbacks, but he only ever mentions the fact that in Gen I, you're just a kid with clear progression to become a Pokémon Champion, which is a critique that I agree with.

EDIT: And you're that in Gen II as well! How could I forget. So Kyle's entirely wrong on that point.

wiibomb

Man, I know Kyle props up Gen I and is a fan of all the games, but I never once heard him praise any of the other games and their achievements. The great thing about Pokémon is that because it sticks to its roots, there are clear improvements that you can see with each instalment. There are also setbacks, but he only ever mentions the fact that in Gen I, you're just a kid with clear progression to become a Pokémon Champion, which is a critique that I agree with.

I don't think he doesn't like them, he do, but not praise them, the first game is the one that deserves that praise for him and I understand it.

I do like a lot more the later game and I love how balanced X & Y is, but that's from a perspective of someone who likes the competitive scene, I understand if another person wouldn't like the changes made after R&B&Y when most of them seem to be balance or additions for the competitive scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom