• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tankard

Loved TTE #4, the most fun so far to me.

EZA Pod #5 had the best Love & Respect section so far, good stuff. And again, Bosman is a treasure of a Pod host.

LycanXIII

Just finished the podcast, Brandon should have each backer name as an individual sound clip so he doesn't have to keep saying them each time or worry about getting the pronunciation wrong in the future.

UrbanRats

Latest TTE was magical as always.

Best moment: Law trying to hear through the door, and Yorgalla going "HEAR ANYTHING?".
Classic routine, but never gets old.

ISee

So after all the previous hype on GAF I started watching their D&D show this week. And I'm having a blast. Really reminds me of my old rpg group. I already love it and some of their RP is actually pretty good.

Is their old stuff still available somewhere?

Hasney

Visceir

Law must be a really low INT character
didn't he have some kind of healing abilities?
Someone on youtube comments called the characters 4 bumbling idiots that occasionally pull ridiculous powers out of their ass...that's a pretty good description of the group so far, doesn't quite fit with the serious tone and lore Ben seemed to originally want to go for though but it's amusing.

Kyle's character got quite a few laughs out of me this episode.

Law must be a really low INT character
didn't he have some kind of healing abilities?
Someone on youtube comments called the characters 4 bumbling idiots that occasionally pull ridiculous powers out of their ass...that's a pretty good description of the group so far, doesn't quite fit with the serious tone and lore Ben seemed to originally want to go for though but it's amusing.

Kyle's character got quite a few laughs out of me this episode.

I wondered about that as well. Like why are none of them healing!? It has been incredibly enjoyable so far, but I do wish they work better as a team soon. Everything seems so hap hazard so far.

Also Ben I think you went to far with the ground catching fire and knocking out Yogalla and Law in episode 3. It was literally the first time Yogalla had done something worthwhile and it felt like an unfair punishment. Also feel the first cave encounter was much easier and may have made for a better starting encounter than the actual first encounter that lasted the first 3 episodes.

Hasney

Well, I mean, you use fire in a wood and that's what happens. It wasn't really Ben's fault that it was Yogalls first worthwhile thing since he decided to run away. I get the feeling the cobalt encounter was unplanned as it was 2 stragglers while they were resting that were part of a larger group, but we shall soon see!

Par Score

I wondered about that as well. Like why are none of them healing!? It has been incredibly enjoyable so far, but I do wish they work better as a team soon. Everything seems so hap hazard so far.

Also Ben I think you went to far with the ground catching fire and knocking out Yogalla and Law in episode 3. It was literally the first time Yogalla had done something worthwhile and it felt like an unfair punishment. Also feel the first cave encounter was much easier and may have made for a better starting encounter than the actual first encounter that lasted the first 3 episodes.

If you haven't gone back and watched the start of TTA, you really should.

This is just how things seem to go for these guys.

Visceir

Well, I mean, you use fire in a wood and that's what happens. It wasn't really Ben's fault that it was Yogalls first worthwhile thing since he decided to run away. I get the feeling the cobalt encounter was unplanned as it was 2 stragglers while they were resting that were part of a larger group, but we shall soon see!

Most of them seemed super hesitant to proceed forward in this episode which slowed things down a bit. One could argue it's partially because whenever they do try to do something they end up almost dead
taking 8 dmg from a trap or a wizard somehow managing to burn himself alive.

Should have let them get full rest and then proceed with enough hp for them to be able to make some mistakes without being almost dead again.

Hasney

Most of them seemed super hesitant to proceed forward in this episode which slowed things down a bit. One could argue it's partially because whenever they do try to do something they end up almost dead
taking 8 dmg from a trap or a wizard somehow managing to burn himself alive.

Should have let them get full rest and then proceed with enough hp for them to be able to make some mistakes without being almost dead again.

True, but there were a large number of people complaining during the last series that death was a non-issue, so it does make sense of the difficulty to be raised somewhat to both appease those people and because they're three seasoned adventurers (and Brad) now. The death saving throws and stabilisation rules still make it hard to die either way.

Visceir

True, but there were a large number of people complaining during the last series that death was a non-issue, so it does make sense of the difficulty to be raised somewhat to both appease those people and because they're three seasoned adventurers (and Brad) now. The death saving throws and stabilisation rules still make it hard to die either way.

Honestly, that didn't so much hinge on the difficulty as it did on Huber usually just behaving without ever thinking about the consequences as he knew Ben wouldn't let Hogger die.

I'm not an expert on 5th edition so... I have no idea if they actually have any tradotional healers lol. Maybe Law can if monks are more akin to paladins than they used to?

I guess Huber can reroll a Cleric named Vanille once Law succumbs to the infection lol .

UrbanRats

Honestly, that didn't so much hinge on the difficulty as it did on Huber usually just behaving without ever thinking about the consequences as he knew Ben wouldn't let Hogger die.
True, I like the new death rules exactly for that reason.
Disrupting behavior is fun, but it has to have consequences.

The thing is once they encounter their first legit death they probably start to play a lot smarter like Brad searching for traps, using perception checks more smartly and not just cause Ben nudges them to do so ect.

Best thing imo when players start to "learn the game" is that DM is free to design and use much more devious dungeons and characters/monsters without it neccessarily resulting in a total wipe or feeling like he is trying to fuck the players.

Ian has the right idea in using deception before the encounter starts even tho nothing took the bait yet.

Edit: of course they should play like they want to and whatever is most fun for them, I'll enjoy it whatever they do. But just personal opinion is that some things need to be learned the hard way. The impression I got from the trap they pretty much had to go through for instance was that Ben wanted to remind the group that stuff like that is part of the game and they should keep that in mind.

Loving Bosman's 'dumb brother of Michael Caine's Alfred' impression for his TTE character.

Also, are we getting a Star Fox Zero review? I know Damiani's streaming it later.

Rndm

Is anyone from EZA going to PAX East? I don't hearing anyone talk about it.

Apparently not. In the most recent EZA podcast they talk about Pyre and how it will be playable at PAX East to which Ian responds "We're not there though" and Brandon says "Right, yeah, we lose" *laughs*

It's at 13:33 (not sure if you can access it or not).

the theory that giantbomb is acting as some sort of mouthpiece for sony is kind of weird.

But we've had cases like that in the past or at least suspicions about similar scenarios. Now if it was IGN or Polygon I'd be like "yeah, definitely" but with giantbomb.. yeah, I kind of doubt it as well. But true or not the article is quite positive and the info it contains could come straight from a Sony PR person, so I get why one could make the assumption that Sony was in touch with giantbomb. It could also be a controlled leak with giantbomb not knowing that they are being "used". I guess the problem is that we do not really know the source, maybe this is a legit leak but the person only knew positive things about the platform, we'll never know, but it's fun to theorize and get crazy I guess.

Tankard

Apparently not. In the most recent EZA podcast they talk about Pyre and how it will be playable at PAX East to which Ian responds "We're not there though" and Brandon says "Right, yeah, we lose" *laughs*

They also said on streams that they won't be there.

J-Skee

Yeah, you're right. SMH I watched it last night too. Shows how much I pay attention lol.

Alucrid

Banned

But we've had cases like that in the past or at least suspicions about similar scenarios. Now if it was IGN or Polygon I'd be like "yeah, definitely" but with giantbomb.. yeah, I kind of doubt it as well. But true or not the article is quite positive and the info it contains could come straight from a Sony PR person, so I get why one could make the assumption that Sony was in touch with giantbomb. It could also be a controlled leak with giantbomb not knowing that they are being "used". I guess the problem is that we do not really know the source, maybe this is a legit leak but the person only knew positive things about the platform, we'll never know, but it's fun to theorize and get crazy I guess.

if you want to consider Austin and giantbomb as a whole to be liars, then sure. Otherwise they explicitly state "At time of publishing, Sony has not returned our request for comment, but we will update this story if the company responds." did that information come from pr or, more likely, developer relations? probably. because their sources are likely to be developers themselves. as for controlled leak, they, again, cite multiple sources. that's one hell of a controlled leak to sources that all corroborate with giantbomb. i just found it rather distasteful to throw that assertion out there.

Rndm

if you want to consider Austin and giantbomb as a whole to be liars, then sure. Otherwise they explicitly state "At time of publishing, Sony has not returned our request for comment, but we will update this story if the company responds." did that information come from pr or, more likely, developer relations? probably. because their sources are likely to be developers themselves. as for controlled leak, they, again, cite multiple sources. that's one hell of a controlled leak to sources that all corroborate with giantbomb. i just found it rather distasteful to throw that assertion out there.

I'm not sure if you are referring to what I said or what they said. I do not believe that giantbomb would do that ever, other sites (like a mentioned above) sure, but giantbomb is too good for that. If you are reffering to the EZAs, well, Kyle brought it up and I doubt that everyone of them read the original article so I get why from the short discussion they've had one MIGHT come to the assumption that this was a staged leak.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm not sure if you are referring to what I said or what they said. I do not believe that giantbomb would do that ever, other sites (like a mentioned above) sure, but giantbomb is too good for that. If you are reffering to the EZAs, well, Kyle brought it up and I doubt that everyone of them read the original article so I get why from the short discussion they've had one MIGHT come to the assumption that this was a staged leak.

sure, but ignorance isn't an excuse to casually throw someone under the bus like that.

sure, but ignorance isn't an excuse to casually throw someone under the bus like that.

Nobody was thrown under the bus though? It's not like they said Giantbomb were terrible people for sending this out(even if it was a controlled leak). They simply pointed out that it was a lot of good news and read a lot like damage control and I kind of agree that the information we got had a lot of positive in it. Based on that, it's not a completely out there assumption to make imo.

It's not like they were calling them out on something bad(do we consider a controlled leak bad anyway?).

Also Jones' impression of Sony PR was scary good. Seeing it, I'm sure the actual presentation is going to be remarkably similar to it, or if not, it should be.

Rndm

Well they said that this is how they felt about the leaks and that it is the impression they got. I would never go so far and say that they threw them under the bus because they just voiced theirthought on the subject and you can or can not agree with them.

Alucrid

Banned
No one threw anyone under the bus - it wasn't an accusation. Stop trying to make a big deal out of nothing.

Nobody was thrown under the bus though? It's not like they said Giantbomb were terrible people for sending this out(even if it was a controlled leak). They simply pointed out that it was a lot of good news and read a lot like damage control and I kind of agree that the information we got had a lot of positive in it. Based on that, it's not a completely out there assumption to make imo.

It's not like they were calling them out on something bad(do we consider a controlled leak bad anyway?).

Also Jones' impression of Sony PR was scary good. Seeing it, I'm sure the actual presentation is going to be remarkably similar to it, or if not, it should be.

throwing someone under the bus was a wrong phrase to use on my part. but i still think it's an unfair assertion to make, that giantbomb acted as sony's mouthpiece, whether serious or jokingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom