• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are all really good points. People in this thread are much easier to talk to than people on YouTube.

One thing you did bring up that already happens is flubbing rolls. If things have been going exceptionally poorly for the group, I'll show them mercy without saying anything. I try to do it sparingly. I'd say it happens once every other episode.

Something I'd like to do just once is have a sort of commentary track over an episode. I'd tell people where rolls were flubbed, what I'd originally planned and secret things the group missed.

Yeah, they'd reroll another character. In a way, it's kind of exciting since they're all so good at RP I'd love to see what else they come up with.

That would be sooooo awesome! Please do that if you find the time^^

RiverKwai

I assumed someone would have posted, but Brandon has been streaming RDR with the Mrs. and German Efficiency for like an hour already.

LycanXIII

I assumed someone would have posted, but Brandon has been streaming RDR with the Mrs. and German Efficiency for like an hour already.

Wrapping up in the next 15-20 minutes. Perfect balance between streamers and chat tonight. Fun watching Amanda try and guess how the story missions played out. Sean's a cool guy too, knows what he's talking about.

Doc_Drop

I sometimes feel like the DM who can never win. If they don't check for traps they'll trigger traps, regardless of what their HP is. If they use fire in a forest, bad things will happen. If you sleep in a hideout with a bunch of enemies without someone keeping watch, you'll run into trouble. Maybe it's not a good idea to shove grain into a wound. I'm not thinking of ways to punish them before the session or anything like that, just responding to their actions as they occur.

Don't worry man, they obviously try and be as entertaining as possible and it only ever seems to be Ian who is burdened with doing smart things (which is why after the last series he seems to have gone for a character with more freedom and less of a sensible support role). I am amazed that no-one rolled a healer class or that they all seemingly didn't discuss possible gaps in the balance of the team but I'm sure they are more interested in entertainment than beating the game as it were (as are you it seems - more interested in emergent story than allowing the team to clear dungeons, complete quests, and level up etc). I think this is why everyone loves the series.

I must admit though I find myself almost screaming at the screen when they miss the most simple of leaps of logic in the situations you serve up - as you said above - wood+fire=bad haha.

Keep up the good work and don't feel badly if the team are struggling, it's on to them to problem solve. What's hilarious is how extreme some of the dice rolls have been - either 1s or 20s it seems

Par Score

Something I'd like to do just once is have a sort of commentary track over an episode. I'd tell people where rolls were flubbed, what I'd originally planned and secret things the group missed.

Ben, it feels like you already have a huge EZA workload (which is great, because you're great) but I'd literally pay extra for TTE DM commentary over each episode.

Tsosie

Long time fan of TTA, TTE, and D&D. Do not worry, I will not critique rules here. I wanted to talk about death. It is obvious that you are worried about killing off PCs and that is okay. You do a great job of encouraging players to try unorthodox tactics through bonuses and role playing. Yet with all of your creative RP you defiantly fear killing characters who make decisions that would kill them. As a fellow DM I understand this worry. So I want to offer you the reasoning I use when I have to make that decision myself.

It is clear that you have spent a great deal of time constructing your world (which is awesome and the lore corner is also awesome). The players and the audience obviously do not yet know what the big adversary will be in this campaign, but you do. Now ask yourself, how many people living in your world could truly oppose and overcome this threat? My guess is it is only a handful. I am going to proceed assuming that I am correct. If only a handful of people that live in your world have the potential to stop this threat, what are the chances that your players created those people? The answer is pretty low. Now I think we would both agree that D&D is a game about storytelling and overcoming impossible odds, which is why most PCs live to tell the tale of their great adventure. However, by actively avoiding player death your are inactively diminishing the concept of overwhelming odds. When there is no real fear of failure for the players it can reduce joy associated with success for players. This is the first way avoiding death can negatively affect a campaign, but it is not the most prominent.

Statistics and game mechanics are only a small part of the game, but we know the best part of the game is the story. If you think of some of your favorite stories in any medium it is likely that the death of a character plays a massive role in the inspiration of other characters to proceed against stacked odds. A player death can provide that type of inspiration to the entire party. If you use player death as a form of inspiration as opposed to a punishment for poor rolls I think you will find that your players will rally behind the cause instead of focusing on the poor mechanics that led to the death.

I know this is all a little backseat DMing, but I really tried to avoid particular instances or examples for death. I just hope this might give you a little relief if such a situation presents itself in the future.

Love and respect.

Tldr; Player death is not a bad thing.

Kneefoil

I'm glad people seem to like Huber recommending movies that are somehow similar to the games he's talking about, but personally I don't really see much value in that. I enjoy games for very different reasons that I enjoy any other medium, so these recommendations do nothing for me.

It also has me a bit worried that at some point Huber might shy away from talking about something he would like to express his thoughts on because there isn't an obvious connection to works in other mediums - for example, if he wanted to make an episode about a gaming related topic that isn't strictly about any video game. Even if he just wanted to talk about a video game console instead of games, coming up with a movie to recommend might be tricky depending on what exactly he's talking about.

For now Huber mostly seems to want to talk about games he likes or is excited about, so that's probably not an issue at the moment. It's still something that might come up in the future though.

sora87

I think with their set up how it is now with streaming and the longer times they have, it's time for everyone to start picking one game and completing it.

Hasney

Lol.
it's just weird to see the first 2 hours of a game on their plays channel that never get touched again.

Well, they're doing RE6, RDR and Dumb Game Monday... And technically Tetris. I like Ben and Blood basically doing the equivalent of a quick look on games new and old. It's a good balance.

Karu

Well, they're doing RE6, RDR and Dumb Game Monday... And technically Tetris. I like Ben and Blood basically doing the equivalent of a quick look on games new and old. It's a good balance.
Yeah, I think the mix they have right now is ideal. Best of both worlds. I won't touch the RE6-stream for example because I can't be arsed to sit through that, but Blood playing F-Zero, Zelda and then some Trackmania for a pretty lengthy time (2hrs that is) is great. Shouldn't be the one or the other.

Lexad

I'm glad people seem to like Huber recommending movies that are somehow similar to the games he's talking about, but personally I don't really see much value in that. I enjoy games for very different reasons that I enjoy any other medium, so these recommendations do nothing for me.

It also has me a bit worried that at some point Huber might shy away from talking about something he would like to express his thoughts on because there isn't an obvious connection to works in other mediums - for example, if he wanted to make an episode about a gaming related topic that isn't strictly about any video game. Even if he just wanted to talk about a video game console instead of games, coming up with a movie to recommend might be tricky depending on what exactly he's talking about.

For now Huber mostly seems to want to talk about games he likes or is excited about, so that's probably not an issue at the moment. It's still something that might come up in the future though.

Or he doesn't tie in a movie for that week

Kneefoil

Or he doesn't tie in a movie for that week

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that I hope Huber doesn't feel like he has to tie in a movie, if he has a topic he wants to talk about, but can't think of a movie to tie into it. I wouldn't want him to avoid any topic because of something like that.

UrbanRats

Oh i forgot to mention, i really loved how (Brandon?) edited in game footage and trailers into the podcast.
Really felt like the production values went up from GTtime, in that sense.
I hope that continues.

Hasney

Oh i forgot to mention, i really loved how (Brandon?) edited in game footage and trailers into the podcast.
I hope that continues.

The first one I decided to listen to and not watch as I was busy at work. Dammit.

wiibomb

I hope that continues.

I totally forgot to post about that when I saw it, yeah that was fantastic, just putting footage of the trailer helps a lot to give the viewer an idea of what the hell they are talking about.

don't know if they are continuing this trend, but I love it.

Visceir

Was never really much into Huber's show but from editing-idea perspective it feels even more off now. Always related Huber to just 'jolly' good time, but the whole 'syndrome' thing just makes it feel cold and stark. Feels more like an opening for a serious investigation or doctors tv show.

As for what might make the show more interesting to me -- perhaps tackling big phenomenons in gaming and trying to convey what exactly makes them so great without falling into the details of gaming mechanics and rather just conveying the atmosphere and feel around them. A show about stuff like DOTA2, COD4, WoW, Hearthstone, Eve online or even E3s.

Also -- should just ditch the couch and stand.

mishakoz

I hope that continues.

Didn't see this, but its one of the things I miss most from Invisible Walls. IW would always roll B-roll of any game they were talking about, or if its an announce trailer, that trailer. Im glad to see more of it going forward.

Tankard

Was never really much into Huber's show but from editing-idea perspective it feels even more off now. Always related Huber to just 'jolly' good time, but the whole 'syndrome' thing just makes it feel cold and stark. Feels more like an opening for a serious investigation or doctors tv show.

As for what might make the show more interesting to me -- perhaps tackling big phenomenons in gaming and trying to convey what exactly makes them so great without falling into the details of gaming mechanics and rather just conveying the atmosphere and feel around them. A show about stuff like DOTA2, COD4, WoW, Hearthstone, Eve online or even E3s.

Also -- should just ditch the couch and stand.

Yeah, hate to sound negative, mainly because i love Huber and his positive vibe, but i'm not feeling his new show right now. First episode it made it sound it was going to be about narrative, story telling, but then it felt like QB review 2.0 to me, and now the new one is different, but still feels like a review to me. Don't really know what to say that it would make me feel better about it, unfortunately for me i'm not just enjoying as much as I wanted.

On another note, just watched and loved Red Dead Revisited Eps. 2 feat. German Efficiency, great stream.

timmyp53

Yeah, hate to sound negative, mainly because i love Huber and his positive vibe, but i'm not feeling his new show right now. First episode it made it sound it was going to be about narrative, story telling, but then it felt like QB review 2.0 to me, and now the new one is different, but still feels like a review to me. Don't really know what to say that it would make me feel better about it, unfortunately for me i'm not just enjoying as much as I wanted.

On another note, just watched and loved Red Dead Revisited Eps. 2 feat. German Efficiency, great stream.

Yeah it needs something. I don't know what...
hype
Maybe a green screen and him standing? Or even better him sitting Jayden Heavy Rain style on his couch with the green screen behind it...

A nice touch would be showing a small muted clip of the film recommendation at the end if it contains no spoilers.

Tankard

It's actually going up now that we're getting new gear. The last two are 1080/60. :)

Szeth

+1

Not feeling the vibe at all

kenta

Has no PEINS
Is Ben's Star Ocean stream available anywhere? I don't see it on the EZAP channel and I can't seem to figure out how to access VODs on Twitch

Doc_Drop

I think I agree with Huber syndrome comments. However, I think all it needs is more jolly. I also think his show will benefit the most from a more permanent studio with green screen also.

If you guys feel strongly ypu should tweet him or if possible message on patreon,I'm sure he'd appreciate the input and help (I'm reasonably sure he doesn't have a neogaf account).

After hearing his opinions and feelings towards level creators I get the impression that that side of production isn't inherently his strongest attribute amd may benefit from help in this

gazele

Banned
So I guess Ian just lost a bet to bosman

He drew a picture of noctis dreaming of young noctis

Anyone remember the terms of the bet?

Visceir

So I guess Ian just lost a bet to bosman

He drew a picture of noctis dreaming of young noctis

Anyone remember the terms of the bet?

It was about if Damiani is going to pre-order/buy that special edition of FF XV. Ian said he would and Bosman took up that bet and said he won't...or maybe it was the other way around. One gaffer said that they both lost, but I haven't followed it all too closely.

Yeah it needs something. I don't know what...
hype
Maybe a green screen and him standing? Or even better him sitting Jayden Heavy Rain style on his couch with the green screen behind it...

It felt like he was forced to do a show at defy and the Huber Hype was the result of that. Should just go back to the drawing board and brainstorm with the whole group about what kind of show he could do. Maybe they could come up with something better and more enjoyable for Huber too, with the patreon support they've got free reign to do whatever they want now and he could freely experiment around.

mishakoz

One of the $200 spots dropped. While I love the idea of the Patron D&D campaign, I wonder how consistent it will end up month to month if people change tiers/drop/add on.

One of the $200 spots dropped. While I love the idea of the Patron D&D campaign, I wonder how consistent it will end up month to month if people change tiers/drop/add on.

I didn't watch the first one, mics were a mess, but I figured the patron D&D would be one off stories to enable patrons to rotate. That or those characters could just die or drift away to maybe come back again at a later time.

Chuck

Still without luck
So I'm kind of new hearing this crew talk, but two guys on the podcast actually sound like the same person, just at different distances to the microphone.

It's funny picturing in my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom