• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't even know what these toys to life games are, how they play and how they involve the figures, but holy cow, do I feel bad for Brandon.

When I read the news on Twitter, he was the first person I thought of. I feel really bad for him. And he's in Disneyland of all places.

Unexpected news about Infinity, but Disney has blown hot and cold about gaming for years.

Same thing happened last last generation. Disney created a specific videogame division, bought/created a bunch of studios, then released a bunch of pretty good games (Turok, SplitSecond, Tron, Pure) then shutdown these studios and said they were backing out of making games when the sales weren't spectacular.
RIP POTC Armada of the Damned.

They'll be back next gen...

NA servers only which sucks for EU players, and also who has enough cards to create 3 different decks? Feels bad man.

This is just the first tournament. I want to do another one with EU players. Because Hearthstone is a matchup heavy game, you have to do more than one deck. Otherwise everything would be way too one sided.

We can't please everyone all of the time. It's really difficult coordinating community events like this and we're doing the best we can.

ito007

That's just awful what happened to Disney infinity. Looks like Disney is just going straight to "let's just give them our stuff and tell them to make it good." I'm only assuming Brandon feels completely destroyed right now

Karu

Don't they record these on the previous Tuesday? I thought it would be next week that we'd be missing out.

And yeah, I'm sure Brandon is going to have a lot to say about today's news when he's back.
Oh. Dunno then. Wouldn't mind certainly... :p

This is just the first tournament. I want to do another one with EU players. Because Hearthstone is a matchup heavy game, you have to do more than one deck. Otherwise everything would be way too one sided.

We can't please everyone all of the time. It's really difficult coordinating community events like this and we're doing the best we can.

Much respect Ben. We know you have alot on your plate.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Can the tagline for the tournament be "Pay to win, must be nice"? :-x

(Probably doesn't even work anymore since I haven't played hearthstone in forever so I don't even know what these formats mentioned are, I can only guess that they even the playing field)

kenta

Has no PEINS
Frame Trap was great again, loved the bonus bit (I'm with Ian). I did want to say to Ben, though, that you can stop apologizing for everything :p

Poor jones. Goes on a trip to Disney and Disney betrays him.

I'm really debating skipping the first Tuesday group stream of EZA. Uncharted 4 just arrived. What to do, what to do....

wiibomb

I wonder if I could get anywhere with my basics-only decks ha ha ha

not entering, though

Poor jones. Goes on a trip to Disney and Disney betrays him.

I'm really debating skipping the first Tuesday group stream of EZA. Uncharted 4 just arrived. What to do, what to do....

Uncharted 4 will be there all you want... don't miss the live beauty of the EZA bois

The easygoing style of Frame Trap suits Blood much better than the Bosman podcasts. He was great here when he had more time to think out his responses.

Conezays

Am I the only one who has fired up their 3DS to play Tetris since Kyle started streaming? Haven't played in years but I've gotten back up to a score of 163,284 on Level 9. Still pitiful!

Ian is on fucking point.

The argument for authenticity is pretty weak when the director of the game/anime/film/anything doesn't intend for you to read text at the bottom of the screen. By reading subtitles you are focusing on something other than what the director intends.

If you want the purest most authentic experience, you have to learn the language and culture, with anything less being a compromise.

Whenever I enjoy the quality of voice work I turn off text in any game that allows it because I unconsciously start to read the text, which distorts my perception of the dialogue as it is spoken. This includes English language games. The subs distract me from the intended focus of the author of the work.

On the rare occasion that subtitles are worked in to something in a more active way, that takes in to consideration the framing of shots and the position of characters, I really appreciate it and will happily watch it that way. Usually though, I only opt for subtitles if an English version is nonexistent or badly produced.

The only reason I would ever opt to choose one language over another without regard to my fluency would be if the director specifically stated that one language was their preferred version.

Brandon Jones ‏@TrailerJones 24m24 minutes ago
Hey, look at that. #DisneyInfinity is trending. I wonder if they announced something new...WHAT'S THE POINT OF LIVING ANYMORE!?!?!?

Hasney

NA servers only which sucks for EU players, and also who has enough cards to create 3 different decks? Feels bad man.

Blame Blizzard, no idea why you can't play worldwide. It'd be no worse than the slow connection Russians I get on the EU servers.

tok9

What do you mean?

I switched over to the NA servers about a week ago and have 2 decks up to lvl 10 and a 3rd at level 7 after about 2-3 hours worth of play I guess. Seems pretty easy to have 3 decks ready.

UrbanRats

Ian is on fucking point.
Do you people take 40 minutes to read a line that's, like, 5 words long?
You glance, determine the words by their first 2 or 3 letters + context, and you fill out the rest in your brain, which takes about a fraction of a second.
Even less hard in animation, since there's really no risk of losing a nuance facial expression, by looking away from the center of the screen for a milli second.
I think I've watched hundreds of films with subtitles, both from the US (now I don't need them for English, but it wasn't always like this) and various movies from the rest of world, from Ukraine to Japan, to Thailand, or whgerever, and the subtitle reading was never a problem, because the more you do it, the faster you become and the more natural it gets.
On the other hand, watching dubbed films is just an atrocious experience, not just because of sound mixing and lip sync (which aren't as big of a problem in animation) but especially because dubbing is often done quicker and cheaper than the original VO, it usually doesn't have direct supervision of the creator, and I think the cadence and sound of a language are really important in defining a culture, even if you don't understand 100% of what's being said by ear.

And I am from Italy, a country that not only dubs 99% of the things that get in, but also can't shut up about it, and it's very proud of its "dubbing school" (which I admit, can get very good, when they put in time and effort), so you could say I was culturally conditioned to love dubbing, but fuck if I can't stand it, 99% of the time.
And I noticed every time I prefer it over the original, it's just some nostalgia thing, like Futurama or The Simpsons, I like them in Italian cause that's how I watched them as a kid, but I'd never dream of watching Rick & Morty dubbed.
Same for Ghost in the Shell and I think Cowboy Bebop has the same effect on some people.

But again, this isn't some weaboo thing about purity, I started watching things dubbed and transitioned on my own to subtitles, with American movies and various foreign movies (though American movies are also foreign movies to me, lol) because the difference was just massive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom