• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tankard

Frame Trap new episode was the best one yet, it was not until after Nintendo Hottake (loved the graphic edit) segment ended that i looked up how long was i watching and an hour and a half had past. Discussions were on point and the passion in the P5 conversation is why I love these guys.
Not to mention the real hottake happened after the episode credits, that got intense, haha.

Naythan

Spyro is never gonna win these Dumb Game Monday polls. Always comes so close but so far before being beaten out by a licensed game :(

Wagram

Pretty solid episode, but I have two pretty giant criticisms.

1.) I don't think it's fair to be frustrated with people and to tell them they're being reductive when they state they aren't going to buy a game because of the genre. Overwatch is a multiplayer shooter. That's what it is. If I don't like Football, why would I buy Madden? Strange choice of words there Ben.

2.) The entire conversation about Persona. It's very evident this was a passionate discussion, but i'm incredibly disappointed that it boiled down to another Persona v. Final Fantasy debate. Hell even Bloodworth could see the panel was being really down on FFXV while extremely high on PS5. The entire cop out at the end was silly with "oh but we're still excited about the other one." The JRPG genre needs both to be critically and financially amazing. I wanted to hear about Persona and only Persona, but nope FF v. Persona.

Hasney

Persona 5 and Final Fantasy XV are going to be compared for a long long time. You can't have a conversation without the other now with them releasing within weeks of each other. Like you said, a multiplayer shooter is a genre which is why you couldn't talk about Battleborn without Overwatch right now and vice versa
as long as you remember Battleborn exists
. Discussing a trailer with a release date is always going to bring debate around similar games launching in the same window.

Pretty solid episode, but I have two pretty giant criticisms.

1.) I don't think it's fair to be frustrated with people and to tell them they're being reductive when they state they aren't going to buy a game because of the genre. Overwatch is a multiplayer shooter. That's what it is. If I don't like Football, why would I buy Madden? Strange choice of words there Ben.

2.) The entire conversation about Persona. It's very evident this was a passionate discussion, but i'm incredibly disappointed that it boiled down to another Persona v. Final Fantasy debate. Hell even Bloodworth could see the panel was being really down on FFXV while extremely high on PS5. The entire cop out at the end was silly with "oh but we're still excited about the other one." The JRPG genre needs both to be critically and financially amazing. I wanted to hear about Persona and only Persona, but nope FF v. Persona.

1. It's cool if you don't like multiplayer shooters and aren't interested in the genre. I will never buy a sports game because I don't like sports. However, when people are passionate about something they want to share it with as many people as possible. They hope everyone will give it a chance even if they aren't initially interested. Neither party is wrong. It's okay to want to share OR not be interested. I'm not forcing people to do anything or passing judgement. I'm just excited about something and I want everyone to give it a chance.The choice of words wasn't strange, just not fully explained.

2. 75 percent of the emails I got wanted us to talk about Persona v Final Fantasy. Sorry it wasn't for you. Keep in mind that it's somewhat difficult talking exclusively about a game you haven't played yet. The nature of the conversation will change once we get it in our hands. I don't think that's unreasonable at all.

It also frustrates me that we can never be critical of something without people thinking that we hate that thing. You all know we're stoked for XV. We've shown that enthusiasm 1000 times. We also have things we're worried about. Those feelings can coexist.

Hasney

It also frustrates me that we can never be critical of something without people thinking that we hate that thing. You all know we're stoked for XV. We've shown that enthusiasm 1000 times. We also have things we're worried about. Those feelings can coexist.

Heh, reminds me of the Videogames article they posted about their Uncharted 8/10 review they got heat for.

Finally, we'd like to explain our position on Steve's attitude as a whole throughout the review, specifically the claim that he is too negative towards the game, or that he is 'bias' against it. While he does make superficially positive claims that it is bloody good, the best in the series, and that you should buy it, it is obvious that his anti-gaming agenda has gone too far. We should have noticed this sooner, and from now on we will be ensuring that Steve leaves all negativity at the door, no matter how justified by the experience. He has agreed to new, anti-bias review rules, which state that he should be universally positive about the game, regardless of the score, and that any and all criticism should take the form of a some nonsense which follows a breathless 1000 words or so of half-formed 'game is good because it is good/game is good because it's being made by these guys' thinking.

Maybe that just tickles me because it's the most British thing.

RiverKwai

WTF happened at 1:13:29? there is a strange sound, everyone looks to the left and then the video skips .

5o4mnkx.jpg

DJIzana

Funny... on the last Frame Trap, everyone's opinion on what "Open World" is or should be.

I mean, if you look at the history of what developers try to portray what open world is trying to do? It seems like the best example of that is totally Skyrim / Horizon / Xenoblade Chronicles X or even sandbox games like GTA / Sleeping Dogs.

To me, THIS... THIS is open world.

AdolescentYawningAmericanrobin.gif

Brad streaming DS3, yessssssss.

A few days ago Huber tweeted something about having a great idea for Brad on Dark Souls III. Brad then tweeted saying, after hearing the idea, it was indeed great and he can't wait to try it out.

I assume this stream will be showing that idea in action.

Hopefully it will be those two going through the game together, with passworded summons.

Hasney

How long do they talk about Persona?

I have no interest in that game
SACRILEGE!!!
, so I'd just like to skip past it all.

Timestamps in the video description:

01:30 - What has Ian been playing? (indies, Bladerunner, Overwatch)
14:34 - What has Bloodworth been playing? (Link's Awakening, Ni-Oh, Banner Saga 2)
36:26 - What has Huber been playing? (Severed, Dark Souls III, Garden Warfare 2)
45:08 - PERSONA 5 DISCUSSION BUCKLE UP
01:11:43 - HOTTAKE: What in the world is going on with Nintendo?
01:33:24 - Emails

Timestamps in the video description:

01:30 - What has Ian been playing? (indies, Bladerunner, Overwatch)
14:34 - What has Bloodworth been playing? (Link's Awakening, Ni-Oh, Banner Saga 2)
36:26 - What has Huber been playing? (Severed, Dark Souls III, Garden Warfare 2)
45:08 - PERSONA 5 DISCUSSION BUCKLE UP
01:11:43 - HOTTAKE: What in the world is going on with Nintendo?
01:33:24 - Emails

Lovely. Thanks. 45 minutes to discuss what they've all been playing? Perfect.

luchadork

Roommate walked in unexpectedly. One of the challenges of shooting in an apartment.

frame trap is the fucking shit. have you considered filming it at brandons until you guys get an office? might be easier for everyone to get to? (also i have no idea what i'm talking about).

Tankard

Also liked the Q&A a lot.
And they answered the question i had here for a guy, about what not being full time represents, if they would leave the project if they find another job that demands it, they answered with an emphatic no, which pleases me a lot,
except Ben that would leave if Blizzard called him, lol.
Very nice discussions there too about video games in general, projects, really worth a watch.

wiibomb

What's the difference between this and their other podcast that's released for free on Fridays?

this is a longer podcast with less Gaming constraints, so they talk about other things different than games.

also, both are free. The Friday podcast just releases early for patreons on wednesdays

UrbanRats

Just watched Frame Trap.
About the bonus bit, how does Ian even watches non-english films, if he doesn't like subtitles? Anyway, i don't care about P5, but i'm with Huber all the way.
Fuck dubbing.

MrMette

Just watched Frame Trap.
About the bonus bit, how does Ian even watches non-english films, if he doesn't like subtitles? Anyway, i don't care about P5, but i'm with Huber all the way.
Fuck dubbing.

Yeah, I am not fond of dubbing either. I guess it can be because I am used to check out media in non-native language as I am from Belgium and I watch almost everything in the native language it was created in. I guess a big reason is that Dutch dubs are almost always horrible, so I am used to watch stuff in the native language.

I don't mind reading subs as I am used to it, I know this is a cultural thing. Some countries dub a lot while others don't. As far as I know Spanish, French and German speaking countries dub more easily then Dutch speaking countries for example (although there is a trend to dub more in Belgium and The Netherlands as far as I know, which is unfortunate). I have learned English by watching and playing English media and while it certainly is not perfect, I really feel very comfortable in English although I suck at learning languages.

I am even that weird that I watch most of my stuff with English subs instead of Dutch subs as I find Dutch subs most of the time badly translated and I get really pissed of by them, also a lot of jokes get lost in translation (the same with dubbing btw).

I almost always choose Japanese in JRPG if the option is there (the dubs for Ni No Kuni were horrible imo). I changed back to English in lost odyssey, but only because I was playing it on an old Tube TV and most of the text was almost illegible as it was created for HD TVs and I missed too much stuff (as I don't speak Japanese unfortunately).

I loved Frame Trap btw, this just is something I also feel very strongly about.

Btw, the fact that there is a big chance that Persona 5 will not be published in Europe sucks more then the dubbing. I just read it today that NIS does not publish ATLUS stuff anymore which really sucks. I hope I can play that game (although I did not play any Persona game before), I really want to play P5 (I did not touch my P4 Golden yet as I simply am afraid of starting it as I don't have time for such a big RPG, but I want to make time for P5).

How I feel when listening to a dub is very similar to how Mr. Bloodworth described his opinion regarding FFXV engine. The dub never feels connected to the animation. It feels layered on top of the work and not a part of it. It feels alien. I have hard time digesting such media.

sora87

There's some anime where I have to watch the dub because it's superior imo, Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop immediately jump to mind, but there's a lot more out there.

Kneefoil

How I feel when listening to a dub is very similar to how Mr. Bloodworth described his opinion regarding FFXV engine. The dub never feels connected to the animation. It feels layered on top of the work and not a part of it. It feels alien. I have hard time digesting such media.

For live action, this is absolutely the case, but when it's animated (like video games usually are), I never feel like this, unless the dub itself is bad.

wiibomb

very good Frame Trap episode.

I didn't care at all about the english dub of Persona 3 or 4, they are amazing, I don't care about the dub as long as they have enough quality to not notice the dub or VO and as long as the dialog retains the purest essence of what they are meaning in the original language

UrbanRats

There's some anime where I have to watch the dub because it's superior imo, Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop immediately jump to mind, but there's a lot more out there.
I never liked the American dub of cowboy bebop, so I don't know why everyone is always in love with it, but at least in that one the characters would speak English instead of Japanese, given the setting.

For live action, this is absolutely the case, but when it's animated (like video games usually are), I never feel like this, unless the dub itself is bad.
To be fair, I have not watched any recent dubs so maybe it has improved. I just remember stumbling across an airing of One Piece on TV once and it was horrendous. I rather just watch the unedited piece of work with subs.

Tankard

I completely forgot..
We weren't supposed to get Cup of Jones yesterday? Brandon said more than once he was going to record 2 of them last week so we would get one this week too.

I'm quoting this part because is so true, this is one of the things we get thanks to this extreme mentality prevalent among videogame fans, you're with us or against us, "does a game have medriocre controls?" then the game has THE WORST controls ever, do I prefer game A over B?, then I HATE game B, do you like the PS4?, then you must think the XB1 is the worst. So please Ben-kun, don't stop talking about the things you're really passionate about just because what you say could be misunderstood, because on the internet anything you say can be misunderstood by anyone.

Regarding the dubs, I'm with Huber, I've never like the american dubs, they never get the pronunciation of the names right and they sound fake taking me out of the "experience" of the game. So, if Atlus isn't going to have the japanese dub available in the game, I'd pay for it as a DLC if that it's a matter of cost.

Heartfyre

Back next week :-( Brandon's not there this week.

Don't they record these on the previous Tuesday? I thought it would be next week that we'd be missing out.

And yeah, I'm sure Brandon is going to have a lot to say about today's news when he's back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom