• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMette

Do you people take 40 minutes to read a line that's, like, 5 words long?
You glance, determine the words by their first 2 or 3 letters + context, and you fill out the rest in your brain, which takes about a fraction of a second.
Even less hard in animation, since there's really no risk of losing a nuance facial expression, by looking away from the center of the screen for a milli second.
I think I've watched hundreds of films with subtitles, both from the US (now I don't need them for English, but it wasn't always like this) and various movies from the rest of world, from Ukraine to Japan, to Thailand, or whgerever, and the subtitle reading was never a problem, because the more you do it, the faster you become and the more natural it gets.
On the other hand, watching dubbed films is just an atrocious experience, not just because of sound mixing and lip sync (which aren't as big of a problem in animation) but especially because dubbing is often done quicker and cheaper than the original VO, it usually doesn't have direct supervision of the creator, and I think the cadence and sound of a language are really important in defining a culture, even if you don't understand 100% of what's being said by ear.

And I am from Italy, a country that not only dubs 99% of the things that get in, but also can't shut up about it, and it's very proud of its "dubbing school" (which I admit, can get very good, when they put in time and effort), so you could say I was culturally conditioned to love dubbing, but fuck if I can't stand it, 99% of the time.
And I noticed every time I prefer it over the original, it's just some nostalgia thing, like Futurama or The Simpsons, I like them in Italian cause that's how I watched them as a kid, but I'd never dream of watching Rick & Morty dubbed.
Same for Ghost in the Shell and I think Cowboy Bebop has the same effect on some people.

But again, this isn't some weaboo thing about purity, I started watching things dubbed and transitioned on my own to subtitles, with American movies and various foreign movies (though American movies are also foreign movies to me, lol) because the difference was just massive.

I really think it it depends on where you're from (although apparently they also dub a lot in Italy which I didn't know) an how used you are to reading subs. I usually play all my games with subs as well. Just like I watch my movies with English subs. Most of the time I don't need them, but when some loud car passes by or there is an explosion on screen, it is nice to have as a fallback.

I understand that people don't want to read and if people want to have dubs, that's their choice. I would rather watch my movies in the original language with subs. I hate it when mouths move in a different way then the sound which is being produced, this is what kills the experience for me and I will not be able to concentrate me on the movie, but instead I concentrate on the mouth movement.

Like I said, I understand that different people want different things. I am used to reading subtitles as I learned it from when I learned how to read (I think this was the case for a lot of people my age in Belgium). The first year, they go by too fast, but you get used to it very quickly. I just want the option to choose how I play games or watch a movie. It is not a dealbreaker for me, but I rather have the original audio and subs. If other people think otherwise, that's fine for me as well. It is just a preference, but I prefer original audio and it sucks when they take it out (I also don't think the bluray disc is too small for that).

MrMette

Yep, couldn't work out what the hell was going on or how they were seeing each other.
Glad it wasn't UC4 though, stream that next week after I've beat it :p

I think a lot of people chose this instead of UC4 because of spoilers.

I am not the biggest Uncharted fan and will probably wait for a discount before I play it (if I play it at all), but while I am very intrigued about UC4 (and only played a little bit of Uncharted 1 before and watched let's plays for the rest of the games), I did not want it to be spoiled when it launched either.

It is possible I will still watch it somewhere are a later date, but I don't see why you would spoil a single player game like this day one. I did not watch the stream yet and I don't really know what game I voted for. I just voted against UC4.

Rikudo

Banned
Watching Tabletop Escapades Episode 1...and holy hit, this is amazing. Also Ian is so fuckin' amazing, especially the "It's your fault" bit lmao.

MrMette

Persona 1 came out 20 years. Persona 4 nearly 10. Realistically, are you ever going to play these games?

For Persona 4 Golden (2012) there is still a chance. For the others probably not (although I did buy them digitally on PSN). I also don't see a problem with playing a 20 year old game.

Yep, couldn't work out what the hell was going on or how they were seeing each other.
Glad it wasn't UC4 though, stream that next week after I've beat it :p

In split screen multiplayer shooters, most people consider it cheating to look at the other players screens to see where they are. Screencheat is based entirely around that. Players are invisible, so you have to look at their screens to track where they're going, and sometimes you can see them brush by things in the environment, etc. We've streamed it 3 or 4 times before and it's always a blast.

Philippo

Just watched Frame Traps, i love how confident Ben is becoming as a host <3

Also, i am in the opposite position to Huber: i am actually more scared for FFXV than Persona 5, because the first one has to be well reviewd and sell well (for the sale of the FF saga, SE itself and probably the whole JRPG industry), but between the two is also the one with the higher chances of getting lower scores etc. and i fear that releasing near to P5 (that will get absurd high scores) will make people bash it as the "inferior one" and generate a bad word of mouth. Sure, it's something that if it happens will stay in the core niche, but that's the one that generates more buzz.
Plus, i get Ian's view on the whole analogy with COD, but the difference is that a bombastic campaign (and some design choices) for XV is not purely aimed at improving sales, but more at re-ignite the concept that SE beongs into the top-tier league of developers.

Ps: Brandon post if u okay

ISee

I'm a patreon but I'm not following everything that's going on with EZA. I mainly watch their YT content when I have the time (or while driving to work) and I assumed they would do a uncharted 4 review but I'm not able to find it. Did something happened to it or am I just to stupid?

Hasney

I'm a patreon but I'm not following everything that's going on with EZA. I mainly watch their YT content when I have the time (or while driving to work) and I assumed they would do a uncharted 4 review but I'm not able to find it. Did something happened to it or am I just to stupid?

It's coming, Huber was working on it. Brandon is on holiday so can't voice/edit.

I think they didn't get the advanced copy and Huber is reviewing it now or something something...

Visceir

I'm guessing all the pokemon news would get covered in the podcast but it would have been cool if they had done a special episode of "easy allies plays pokemon" where they would talk more in-depth about previous-future games.

Odds are Bosman's next episode will be about it too.

Hasney

I'm guessing all the pokemon news would get covered in the podcast but it would have been cool if they had done a special episode of "easy allies plays pokemon" where they would talk more in-depth about previous-future games.

Odds are Bosman's next episode will be about it too.

If an i5 can handle his show...

Thanks for the heads up, I'm currently playing P4G. No more frametrap for me, I was just passed their currently played section.
Glad Huber loved Severed <3

Asd202

I just can't see Huber giving U4 a lower score than 5/5. I'l be really surprised if it's lower that game is pure quality and it feels like a Huber game.

Hasney

I just can't see Huber giving U4 a lower score than 5/5. I'l be really surprised if it's lower that game is pure quality and it feels like a Huber game.

I don't know if it will work like GT, but I believe a perfect score would have to be justified and have a large agreement with the rest of the staff. So it may not.

Hasney

Damn, screencheat won :( this game is rubbish especially for a stream game

But better than the Uncharted 4 options. Would rather more than 1 of them play rather than single person online or single player story spoilers. Screencheat was always going to win.

sora87

But better than the Uncharted 4 options. Would rather more than 1 of them play rather than single person online or single player story spoilers. Screencheat was always going to win.

I suppose, still think them diving into MP on day one would have been fun though

Auctopus

From someone who finished the game at the weekend, Uncharted 4 is the perfect Uncharted game for Huber. After what he said about it in his Huber Hype and how he describes his love for Remedy Games and TLOU, it ticks every single box.

I don't think they'll give it a 5/5 out of principle though. Or maybe the lenient GT of the past is gone and we'll see more 5/5s.

Kneefoil

I don't think they'll give it a 5/5 out of principle though. Or maybe the lenient GT of the past is gone and we'll see more 5/5s.

Well, a 10/10 in the GT days would've been a case where the game is pretty much "perfect", but I think a 5/5 would also be a "high 9", so we can probably expect to see 5/5 scores at some point.

In split screen multiplayer shooters, most people consider it cheating to look at the other players screens to see where they are. Screencheat is based entirely around that. Players are invisible, so you have to look at their screens to track where they're going, and sometimes you can see them brush by things in the environment, etc. We've streamed it 3 or 4 times before and it's always a blast.

It seems really fun to play, but watching it's a bit difficult, especially as the screen in divided so much in the stream.

And I am from Italy, a country that not only dubs 99% of the things that get in, but also can't shut up about it, and it's very proud of its "dubbing school" (which I admit, can get very good, when they put in time and effort), so you could say I was culturally conditioned to love dubbing, but fuck if I can't stand it, 99% of the time.

I'm from Italy too, and I totally agree. By the way, having had family friends in the dubbing industry, I can confirm you that the Italian "dubbing school" died ages ago an horrible death and nowadays the dubbing is seriously atrocious.

Even when the dub is good (just like the first yakuza English dub), the Japanese version is usually better in every possible way. And , most of all, it sounds authentic (because it is).
I guess if you mainly consume entertainment in another language, like we do, Japanese is just another language we didn't happen to speak since our childhood. The difference compared to English is that I wish I could understand it without subs.

Tankard

Yeah, watched a bit of the group stream archive, agree with others here, this game might be really fun but it's not a good choice for the viewers as you can't understand anything that is happening, but it is a hilarious stream because they are making it so.

NuttSack

Watching Screenscheat stream right now, man it really got loosey goosey.
"Voice of treason" and "Cheese me out" are a thing now I assume in the chat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom