• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikey Jr.

Seems like 33k is the cap. Hasn't really moved past that at all.

Mind you, 33k is absolutely fucking phenomenal and they should be proud.

Who

Banned
So I see Kinda Funny is at ~37k and ~8k Patreons.

Does anyone know how this differs from what they achieved in their first month?

It's the cap in the current scenario where the content pipeline still hasn't reached its GT-era consistency.

The onus now is on the EZA team to :
- get their show and content pipeline on track
- make sure the content is great despite their current limitations (not full time, etc )
- get involved in good audience expanding partnerships or opportunities, like a joint with KF, hosting of events, or getting exclusive interviews with popular figures like Phil Spencer or Shu

50k would be super effing hard, but 40k is feasible IMO if they're able to strategically expand their audience over the next 6 months.

Sami+

Eh, I thought it was funny. I actually didn't care for the old, news style Mandatory Update if I'm being honest. Wasn't a fan until they loosened up, and I was surprised when I straight up loved Ian's solo shit.

Visceir

So I see Kinda Funny is at ~37k and ~8k Patreons.

Does anyone know how this differs from what they achieved in their first month?

Tried to look it up out of curiosity and found this article by Polygon:
Patreon, Greg Miller and the real cost of going indie

To date the crew is pulling in $15,761 a month from one Patreon, and just over $19,000 a month from the other. That's over $408,000 a year! They're rich, right? The age of fan-supported content has arrived, and the publishing world will never be the same.

Greg Miller is a pro at pimping Kinda funny though and I mean this in the best possible way. Dude seems to be willing to work hard for the success too, I can only see them growing more and more.

Wagram

I like Colin and Greg, but the double Patreon thing doesn't gel with me. They're successful though and people obviously don't care.

Mikey Jr.

Tried to look it up out of curiosity and found this article by Polygon:
Patreon, Greg Miller and the real cost of going indie

Greg Miller is a pro at pimping Kinda funny though and I mean this in the best possible way. Dude seems to be willing to work hard for the success too, I can only see them growing more and more.

Ohhh for sure. Greg Miller goes above and beyond. Not surprised they make so much. He is constantly interacting with fans, be it at events, or on his twitter, or on twitch.

Plus they always go to events far away, and host panels for kinda funny, or for other games. Also, they are the unofficial spokespeople for Playstation.

timmyp53

Eh, I thought it was funny. I actually didn't care for the old, news style Mandatory Update if I'm being honest. Wasn't a fan until they loosened up, and I was surprised when I straight up loved Ian's solo shit.

It's cool but I think most of the people who watched wanted it to have been more vidya game focused though.

OZsef0m.png

I forgot to mention it but I thought Ian's new show was great! It's exciting to see the foundation for everything getting built. I can't wait for things to really start rolling I also might need to watch TTA I never watched it

Is there an archived video of the stream they did while their patreon was still in full swing? I mainly want to see the happiness in their faces seeing the resounding success they were achieving.

luchadork

It's the cap in the current scenario where the content pipeline still hasn't reached its GT-era consistency.

- make sure the content is great despite their current limitations (not full time, etc )
- get involved in good audience expanding partnerships or opportunities, like a joint with KF, hosting of events, or getting exclusive interviews with popular figures like Phil Spencer or Shu

50k would be super effing hard, but 40k is feasible IMO if they're able to strategically expand their audience over the next 6 months.

this guy gets it

UrbanRats

Yeah, 33k is basically what their GT days "bought them" (their core fans), now it's up to EZA to have that number rise (or integrate other income sources, like sponsors).

I think this coming E3 will be a massive opportunity.

ito007

The talk show format did wonders for the show IMO. I just wish we had more of that before the shutdown

Thores

So any word on when the stream schedule for this week is going up? I'm excited to see who plays what.

Also, have they clarified how Patrons decide how games get voted on for the streams that mention a Patron vote? Tomorrow's Dumb Game Monday is supposed to include a Patron's Pick, but we still don't really have a clear outline on how the Patrons do the picking.

So any word on when the stream schedule for this week is going up? I'm excited to see who plays what.

Also, have they clarified how Patrons decide how games get voted on for the streams that mention a Patron vote? Tomorrow's Dumb Game Monday is supposed to include a Patron's Pick, but we still don't really have a clear outline on how the Patrons do the picking.

I bet it goes up sometime tomorrow. We do know that Ben and Brad are going to stream the FFXV event, idk if it will be through EZA though. I assume it will be though. So there is that on Wednesday at least.

Spman2099

It blows my mind how quickly this has all happened. To me, it feels like they launched the Patreon a month ago. There has been so much development since the initial launch.

I can't wait for everything to be structured and established. I am guessing in a few weeks everything will be pretty smooth.

abrack08

Thanks for posting this...didn't realize they had at one time gotten as high as $80k+ a month. It was only for a short while but I really hope EZA stays at this $30k+ month a threshold all the time and doesn't have the wild fluctuations the KF had/has (30k-50k-80k-50k-30k, etc)

The ~80k Kinda Funny got in January was a special deal, they decided to create an animated series about themselves and said all Patreon money from January would go towards that. I believe the threshold to make it happen was 75k, and they held 2 12 hour streams promoting it, plus promoted it on every show they did for the month. They were even specifically suggesting people up their pledge for the one month and lower it back the next. So that wasn't really a wild fluctuation as much as it was a special event.

They'll post a thread on the Patreon page for people to comment on what game that they want to play.

They need to get that Bud Light money

RexNovis

Banned
Only criticism that I'd make of the patreon is that I don't think for their shows that are at all focused on current events it makes sense to delay them for anyone in their audience.

I don't think it's unfair or anything, but I imagine that delaying a news focused podcast for people not currently contributing to the patreon will severely it's audience, and have a negative impact on the podcast's ability to appeal to new people.

Not the end of the world, but I think delaying retrospectives, broader discussions not of a topical nature, and just anything without a degree of topicality makes a lot more sense. They run the risk of missing out on the zeitgeist. A 48 hour delay is detrimental to the potential virality of a lot of their stuff.

I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with giving people paying them money preferred treatment, but I'm not convinced they've gone about doing so in the best way possible.

Edit: In case it needs to be said, I am thrilled for them with how successful it has been out of the gate, and can only see great things in their future.

As a patreon backer myself I have to say I wholeheartedly agree with this. At the very most I think it should be 24 hours so as to remain relevant and avoid any potential resentment on the part of the normal viewership. I really don't think the timed delay is necesary as a carrot to dangle for support. People will support them and their content of they enjoy it and a delay potentially impacts the enjoyment of new fans/viewers. Just my 2 cents anyway.

At the time they launched the patreon the Podcast was the only they they knew they'd be making that would be possible to delay with a paywall. They had no idea they'd be making multiple shows and a second podcast so soon. It's been less than a week. Let them get up and running. They have all the time in the world to fine tune.

Lexad

It blows my mind how quickly this has all happened. To me, it feels like they launched the Patreon a month ago. There has been so much development since the initial launch.

I can't wait for everything to be structured and established. I am guessing in a few weeks everything will be pretty smooth.

I seriously can't believe I was watching Daredevil season 2 at this exact time 7 days ago and I decided to check the GT Time thread thinking the announcement was soon. The moment I saw the EZA link I headed over and clicked on my donation, first ever. I agree, it feels like it has been ages.

Hubble

Well, Ian's first show Man Update was horrible. It actually is confusing the shit out of me. I thought this was about games? There was no video game discussion and now I am wondering if it going to venture out to outside topics, which I don't really care for. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt since it was really short, and treat it like a teaser even though it wasn't labeled as such..

Hubble

I think this is going to be expected when there has been a lack of updates I feel to drive momentum and donations. I think they can do better but they need more Patreon updates and outreach like a Kickstarter.

RexNovis

Banned
Well, Ian's first show Man Update was horrible. It actually is confusing the shit out of me. I thought this was about games? There was no video game discussion and now I am wondering if it going to venture out to outside topics, which I don't really care for. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt since it was really short, and treat it like a teaser even though it wasn't labeled as such..

Its his pilot episode with which he had very little time to prepare. I'm sure there will be more relevant content as time goes on but for what it was I thought it was entertaining. I think people are forgetting this is all very new and these shows and streams are happening almost instantaneously from their initial reveal. Give it some time to ramp us

I think this is going to be expected when there has been a lack of updates I feel to drive momentum and donations. I think they can do better but they need more Patreon updates and outreach like a Kickstarter.

Lack of updates? I feel like there has been a steady stream of content available since the patreon went up and likely way more than they had initially planned. Are people just looking at youtube and judging them based on that alone? Theyve had a lot of content put out on twitch this week and are slowly releasing it to youtube as time allows. What is it exactly people want from them? They are putting out a lot of content very quickly while also trying to get things organized and running in the background. I don't think people realize how much time and work is involved with whats happening for Easy Allies right now.

Spman2099

I definitely didn't think it was horrible, but I was also initially concerned that it was going to have very little to do with games. That being said, he has since confirmed that games will be given much more attention in the future (scroll up a little to see the tweets for yourself).

Ian is a zany dude. I appreciate that. I am looking forward to seeing what he does with the show.

jbluzb

The cap right now is at $33k, however, once all shows are up, I expect a bump in patreon. (when patreon went live, I thought I will be happy they get the 10k mark but exceeded all my expectations.)

We have more updates than planned. Their twitch content stream is overflowing. I expect more consistent shows after patreon pledges are in the bank and after a month when everything gets settled.

$40k is next threshold to overcome. However, I prefer a slow and steady approach, maintain high level core audience interaction and maintain high loyalty. Then expand the market.

This weeks Twitch schedule:

Monday, March 28th
9PM PT - 12AM PT | Dumb Game Monday
The Conclusion of G-Force
(Bring Red & Blue 3D glasses)
then
Patrons choose the next Dumb Game!
Kyle Bosman

Tuesday, March 29th
10AM PT - 12PM PT | Toy Box Tuesday - Disney Infinity
Brandon Jones
6PM PT - 8PM PT | GROUP STREAM
Tropical Freeze/Killer Instinct Season 3/Resident Evil 6 -- Patrons' Pick!
Plus
We're building our new PC live!

Wednesday, March 30th
6PM PT - 7PM PT | Overwatch
Brad Ellis
7PM PT | Uncovered: Final Fantasy XV Reactions
Ben and Brad react live to Final Fantasy XV's big release date reveal event. Will there be happy cheers or bitter tears? Impossible to say, but we hope there's a little of both.
9PM PT - 3AM PT (!) | Dark Souls III (English version)
Ben Moore

Thursday, March 31st
6PM PT - 8PM PT | MLB The Show 16
Mike Huber
8PM PT - 10PM PT | Assault Android Cactus
Daniel Bloodworth

Friday, April 1st
6PM PT - 10PM PT | The Wind Waker HD
Full Playthrough Pt. 2
Michael Damiani
(This is not a joke)

fastmower

Monday, March 28th
9PM PT - 12AM PT | Dumb Game Monday
The Conclusion of G-Force
(Bring Red & Blue 3D glasses)
then
Patrons choose the next Dumb Game!
Kyle Bosman

Tuesday, March 29th
10AM PT - 12PM PT | Toy Box Tuesday - Disney Infinity
Brandon Jones
6PM PT - 8PM PT | GROUP STREAM
Tropical Freeze/Killer Instinct Season 3/Resident Evil 6 -- Patrons' Pick!
Plus
We're building our new PC live!

Wednesday, March 30th
Brad Ellis
Ben and Brad react live to Final Fantasy XV's big release date reveal event. Will there be happy cheers or bitter tears? Impossible to say, but we hope there's a little of both.
Ben Moore

Thursday, March 31st
6PM PT - 8PM PT | MLB The Show 16
Mike Huber
8PM PT - 10PM PT | Assault Android Cactus
Daniel Bloodworth

Friday, April 1st
6PM PT - 10PM PT | The Wind Waker HD
Full Playthrough Pt. 2
Michael Damiani
(This is not a joke)
It looks like it's going to be an amazing week! Seeing EZA build a new PC is going to be a sight to behold!

6 hours of Ben Moore playing Dark Souls will be great.

But I want to go into that game completely blind. I'll look forward to watching the stream in 2017 when I've finally finished the game.

DKHF

Wednesday, March 30th
Brad Ellis
Ben Moore
This will be the day I watch them streaming the most probably. Though I won't be watching their reactions live since I wanna give my full attention to the actual event, I'll tune in for the post-show discussion, then watch their reactions when it's archived afterwards.

Daaaaaaaaang. So much hype for Final Fantasy XV reactions and then Dark Souls 3. That is one heck of day for content^^ Table Top Adventures should be hitting around then too, right?

Hasney

Daaaaaaaaang. So much hype for Final Fantasy XV reactions and then Dark Souls 3. That is one heck of day for content^^ Table Top Adventures should be hitting around then too, right?

Tabletop and podcast early access. Will probably be sleeping for Final Fantasy, but that is an insane day.

That Ian video is crap. Just serves as another reminded of how his sense of humour doesn't jive with me at all. I'd say that I hope he has minimal presence throughout the content Easy Allies puts out, but who am I kidding.

He sticks out like a sore thumb, because I like everyone else in the crew to varying degrees.

llehuty

People that hope that every single Easy Allies video caters to their tastes needs to chill a bit and share their opinions without being disrespectful. Moreso, when we know that they check this thread.

Just a little reminder to make sure people are prepared for the Patreon funding amount to drop dramatically on Friday, once pledges are collected. It always happens the first month with these things. I'm expecting it to drop to around, or slightly below, $30k, at least at its current level.

Hasney

Just a little reminder to make sure people are prepared for the Patreon funding amount to drop dramatically on Friday, once pledges are collected. It always happens the first month with these things. I'm expecting it to drop to around, or slightly below, $30k, at least at its current level.

Been looking at some charts and it's hard to get a full sense because some of the amounts are from before Patreon changed his the amount was shown. Think a grand might be likely, but it doesn't look like it would traditionally drop under 30k.

Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

Rosur

Wednesday, March 30th

This is gonna be good. Shame its gonna be at 2am UK time :( Hope they up the twitch archive quickly so can wake up early and watch before work.

Hasney

This is gonna be good. Shame its gonna be at 2am UK time :( Hope they up the twitch archive quickly so can wake up early and watch.

If Twitch works alright for you, the archive will be up there instantly. Doubt they'll turn it around to YT that quick while they still work it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom