• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tankard

That Ian video is crap. Just serves as another reminded of how his sense of humour doesn't jive with me at all. I'd say that I hope he has minimal presence throughout the content Easy Allies puts out, but who am I kidding.

He sticks out like a sore thumb, because I like everyone else in the crew to varying degrees.

I'm sure there is a way to express your opinion, like many others have, without being disrespectful.

That Ian video is crap. Just serves as another reminded of how his sense of humour doesn't jive with me at all. I'd say that I hope he has minimal presence throughout the content Easy Allies puts out, but who am I kidding.

He sticks out like a sore thumb, because I like everyone else in the crew to varying degrees.

Just don't watch easy update... No need to get all grumpy

Drencrom

Just took the time to watch the first podcast and Ian's first episode of his show, great just as expected!

I do hope Ian does his ManUps format him and guests just talk whatever comes to mind and do bizarre segments etc sometimes. I just really fell in love with the show's extremely casual, lengthy yet entertaining discussions.

Endo Punk

Need help. Ive created soundcloud profile and made a plex account for my ps4. Ive added the soundcloud plugin to plex and am trying to listen to the eza podcast on ps4 but it doesn't allow me to listen without the plex app in use, i thought you could listen to soundcloud on ps4 as ingame music?

Hasney

Need help. Ive created soundcloud profile and made a plex account for my ps4. Ive added the soundcloud plugin to plex and am trying to listen to the eza podcast on ps4 but it doesn't allow me to listen without the plex app in use, i thought you could listen to soundcloud on ps4 as ingame music?

No, that's Spoitify only.

Sami+

Well, Ian's first show Man Update was horrible. It actually is confusing the shit out of me. I thought this was about games? There was no video game discussion and now I am wondering if it going to venture out to outside topics, which I don't really care for. I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt since it was really short, and treat it like a teaser even though it wasn't labeled as such..

Man, no disrespect but I've never understood this attitude and don't think I ever will lol. Do you actually like the people or do you only give a shit about video games? Like, I get it, as an overarching common hobby video games are the reason we're all on this site to begin with and know about GT/EZA, but does everything they do have to be beholden to that alone? If I wanted games games games I'd go look at IGN or something. But I'm pledging to EZA and not IGN because I care more about the crew doing what they do as opposed to video games alone.

Hubble

Man, no disrespect but I've never understood this attitude and don't think I ever will lol. Do you actually like the people or do you only give a shit about video games? Like, I get it, as an overarching common hobby video games are the reason we're all on this site to begin with and know about GT/EZA, but does everything they do have to be beholden to that alone? If I wanted games games games I'd go look at IGN or something. But I'm pledging to EZA and not IGN because I care more about the crew doing what they do as opposed to video games alone.

I am a fan of the GameTrailers crew and watched all of their content (Mandatory Update, GT Time, Huber Hype, Retrospectives, Top 10, Bosman Show, etc)... All of their content was about video games. I support their Patreon expecting that their content is about video games. Common sense. I would not go to IGN if EZA is about video games..

If I want to read the news, there's other podcasts that focus on that. I'll listen to that.

Hasney

We learned what AJ, a man who has voice acted in videogames's favourite game is and it had more Toejam and Earl than any other show so far. VIDYAGAMES.

ilium

We're getting 3 shows, 2 Podcasts, retrospectives, reviews and at least 5 streams per week.

I think there is enough room for something outside the box and not solely focused on videogames.

UrbanRats

We're getting 3 shows, 2 Podcasts, retrospectives, reviews and at least 5 streams per week.

I think there is enough room for something outside the box and not solely focused on videogames.

I agree.
With Ben's podcast coming, we honestly don't need MUNights style show, so want to see Ian go all out.
If it misses a bunch of times, trying things, so be it.
We're getting Tabletop back, nothing can phase me anyway.

I have never liked Ian's brand of humor, but there are people here and on Patreon who do, so let them enjoy his stuff. There is such a range of personalities on EZA that if you do not like one then just focus on the guys you do like.

Gun Animal

Loved some of the ideas Ian is playing around with. Mandatory Update was one of my favorite internet content things and Ian is probably in my top ten favorite internet personalities so I'm really glad to have him back. A couple of notes tho:

1. those Snapchat-style clips are super unflattering at a low angle. Hold your phone higher up, Ian!

2. I'd rather have episodes less frequently if it meant longer episodes. I'd rather have a 20-minute long episode once a month than a 5 minute episode once a week, for example.

3. while I loved Ian's intro song it would be too long to play at the beginning of every episode. I'm sure he can figure out some way to shorten it tho.

I have never liked Ian's brand of humor, but there are people here and on Patreon who do, so let them enjoy his stuff. There is such a range of personalities on EZA that if you do not like one then just focus on the guys you do like.

The youtube/patreon comments also show that there is a substantial group that would like more from his show as well, myself included.

LiK

Finally watched the new podcast. Good stuff.

I was laughing so hard at Brandon's pronunciation of "Nguyen". XD

gadwn

Back home from the vacation, finally a Patreon supporter, my first ever!

So... will there will be an RSS feed sometime for the podcast, or how will that work? Don't really care about video podcasts, I listen to stuff like this to handle the boredom of working or doing housework. To bad if I have to download it manually every week.

Ah well, great to see you back dudes! Bring on the videos! (preferably on Youtube, I don't care about twitch either)

jbluzb

The youtube/patreon comments also show that there is a substantial group that would like more from his show as well, myself included.

Patreon comments are overwhelmingly positive regarding Ian show. So I guess the core audience who pledges likes whatever Ian does.

Hasney

Back home from the vacation, finally a Patreon supporter, my first ever!

So... will there will be an RSS feed sometime for the podcast, or how will that work? Don't really care about video podcasts, I listen to stuff like this to handle the boredom of working or doing housework. To bad if I have to download it manually every week.

Ah well, great to see you back dudes! Bring on the videos! (preferably on Youtube, I don't care about twitch either)

Yes, they're waiting on iTunes to authorise them and get their podcast feed up. That will be updated Fridays though, the early access Wednesday version will be a provate link on Soundcloud accessible through Patreon.

sora87

So juiced for Ben and Brad reacting to the FF15 news then 6 hours of dark souls 3, this is exactly what I want from them.

Spent today rewatching some of the GT retro's, the Final Fantasy one is still just immaculate. Can't wait to see how they handle the new ones.

wiibomb

so I finally saw the podcast, holy crap...

I was seriously smiling the whole hour, I feel like my cheeks hurt now, these guys, the discussion, they good will of the show, the acknowledgement of patreon...

I feel like home now

C:

LiK

my recommendation is they need a better setup for the chairs. they looked uncomfortable and of course, hope they get mics for everyone set up asap.

my recommendation is they need a better setup for the chairs. they looked uncomfortable and of course, hope they get mics for everyone set up asap.

They've already ordered a couch. It was one of the first stretch goals for the Patreon campaign.

wiibomb

I think they already got the mics and other editing tools, but they couldn't set up everything for that first podcast.

they urgently need a good table as well as some chairs, but I'm sure that will come later

Hasney

I think they already got the mics and other editing tools, but they couldn't set up everything for that first podcast.

they urgently need a good table as well as some chairs, but I'm sure that will come later

Think the picture showing off the stuff was posted early Wednesday so yeah. Like they said, no episode will look or sound like that, so even more to look forward to this week!

Umibozu

The news around kinda funny teaming up with roosterteeth is making me laugh.
Hopefully easy allies never gets involved/forced to work with roosterteeth (sorry elyse).

Hasney

The news around kinda funny teaming up with roosterteeth is making me laugh.
Hopefully easy allies never gets involved/forced to work with roosterteeth (sorry elyse).

I think that's one of the benefits of doing this part-time and not having aspirations for it beyond gaming for us backers anyway. Will be interesting to see their Patreons though and see if it has a hit.

EDIT: Think some people are making too much of it anyway. Their regular output probably won't change, as we saw with GT on Defy. Any sort of collabarations will be sucky for people who like their output, though.

KeRaSh

I miss the days when I felt about the RT crew the way I feel about the EZA crew nowdays. They just kept growing and growing. I don't blame them for expanding their business but they alienated some of their biggest fans in the process. Hopefully the EZA crew stays true to their roots
while still making as much money as they deserve

Think some people are making too much of it anyway. Their regular output probably won't change, as we saw with GT on Defy. Any sort of collabarations will be sucky for people who like their output, though.

I think people fear that it will be a stepping stone to more. Also that Greg's not ruling anything out apparently.

Mario007

So if they are making 32k a month, and lets say all the fixed costs equal around 5k per month... thats 27k for 9 people. That works out as a monthly salary of 3000 for each of them... surely thats a full time salary.

So if they are making 32k a month, and lets say all the fixed costs equal around 5k per month... thats 27k for 9 people. That works out as a monthly salary of 3000 for each of them... surely thats a full time salary.

Taxes... and no it isn't. 3000 a month is only 36,000. They live in LA and that number is before taxes.

That is no where near full time.

Hasney

Apparently the tax and living costs are stupidly high, plus no health, dental and all that crap.

LiK

Tax and other expenses really destroys that cushion. It's a start but def not as good as you may think.

The plan is to have the first episode of the new tabletop show up at noon (PST) on Wednesday. So yeah, Wednesday will be a little crazy.

Hasney

The plan is to have the first episode of the new tabletop show up at noon (PST) on Wednesday. So yeah, Wednesday will be a little crazy.

SUPER STACKED WEDNESDAY.

Like I said earlier, soooo damn glad I'll be working from home, especiallyw ith the group stream archive to watch too.

Will it be exclusive for Patreons for a few days or is that the day it is uploaded to Youtube?

It'll be for everyone.

Volotaire

Firstly assume the the continuous dropoff from their Patreon income (let's assume 5k) so it is down to 27k. I think this is a fair and good estimate.

Patreon takes a 5% cut. That's about $1350 off per month.

27 - 1.35 = about 25.5k .

Their yearly income is 25.5 * 12 = 306k

Significant sunk costs such as video games, equipment, etc. Let's assume the mics are 4* 200, sound mixer is 200, new furniture is 500, and other equipment is 200. A well equipped PC, perhaps VR ready too and with capture cards, will be about 1000 - 1500. Assume purchasing video games, without the support of publishers initially, is about $100 per month so about 1200. There may be other costs I am forgetting too.

Let's assume a nice round 5k for this year.

Assume Brandon needs to pay for additional electricity and heating bills for using his garage in excess of normal use in business hours. This could be very expensive. Let's assume 5k for now.

Let's assume Brandon and one other person are working full time. Let's assume, given the high wages costs of LA, the years of expereince they have gardened, and having a superior work - hours - leisure balance they position their salaries at $50,000 each (perhaps less for the first year). That's 100k for full time wages.

We than have another 7 people (if Don is joing part time) who are working for EZA in differing capacities and hours. Let's assume they put in 1/4 of the time that the full time employees each put in. This means wages of 12.5k each. Assuming everyone works the same hours (there will be nuances and different circumstances) and assuming Don will work as well, that's 7*12.5 = 90k

Wages = 190k

Then we have tax as others have pointed out. I am not familiar with US Tax law, but let's assume a 40% rate.

They may have to take out various types of health and work insurance packages that may be made mandatory by law. This will be another large chunk.

Add in trips to expos (such as E3) and trips to PAX (to host panels and visit their fans) which will include accommodation, tickets and insurance. This is slightly mitigated by the fact that they live in SA.

In summary, this is a very expensive business venture to support more than, at the most, 3 people at their current Patreon income.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom