• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximo

Only criticism that I'd make of the patreon is that I don't think for their shows that are at all focused on current events it makes sense to delay them for anyone in their audience.

I don't think it's unfair or anything, but I imagine that delaying a news focused podcast for people not currently contributing to the patreon will severely it's audience, and have a negative impact on the podcast's ability to appeal to new people.

Not the end of the world, but I think delaying retrospectives, broader discussions not of a topical nature, and just anything without a degree of topicality makes a lot more sense. They run the risk of missing out on the zeitgeist. A 48 hour delay is detrimental to the potential virality of a lot of their stuff.

I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with giving people paying them money preferred treatment, but I'm not convinced they've gone about doing so in the best way possible.

Edit: In case it needs to be said, I am thrilled for them with how successful it has been out of the gate, and can only see great things in their future.

Don't see the issue Kinda Funny does something similar and I have no problem with them doing it, after all I could go anywhere for the news, I come for the personalities.
I'm happy waiting till every Friday for Kinda Funny"s podcast and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

El-Suave

Only criticism that I'd make of the patreon is that I don't think for their shows that are at all focused on current events it makes sense to delay them for anyone in their audience.

I don't think it's unfair or anything, but I imagine that delaying a news focused podcast for people not currently contributing to the patreon will severely it's audience, and have a negative impact on the podcast's ability to appeal to new people.

Not the end of the world, but I think delaying retrospectives, broader discussions not of a topical nature, and just anything without a degree of topicality makes a lot more sense. They run the risk of missing out on the zeitgeist. A 48 hour delay is detrimental to the potential virality of a lot of their stuff.

Most outlets do one podcast a week collecting that week's news so it really doesn't matter if you watch it two days later that same week. It's still relevant. If they kept press conference reaction videos back then you can argue that it'd matter but I really don't see that with a weekly news show.

ilium

Good pilot for Ian's show. Loved the opening shot, very well made.

Personally I'm very happy with Ian's more experimental approach and can't wait to see what's coming next!

sora87

I must admit, I never had any interest in Digimon, but thanks to Kyle and Ben here I am playing Cyber Sleuth on easter sunday.

Now which full playthrough to have on in the background.. Goldeneye or The Order?

Tankard

Really liked Ian's pilot episode, just had to blast my ears cause i couldn't hear shit, but other than that i thought it was good.

Can't wait for D&D episode.

Woffls

"We need to go looser", commanded Ian. The EZA gang leaned back in their chairs. Brandon couldn't even handle it, and fell over.

Hasney

"We need to go looser", commanded Ian. The EZA gang leaned back in their chairs. Brandon couldn't even handle it, and fell over.

Zn52GuS.gif

Sami+

Oh yeah, forgot to comment on the podcast I think. Enjoyed it a lot, I honestly started grinning a few minutes in just thinking about GT Time pretty much being back now.

Lol, at all the new people getting salty about ManUps.

I'm far from new to the group and intro aside, I'm still not exactly happy about that. It's not what I had in mind, when I saw the patreon goal for Ian's new show. I do hope it's just a rushed pilot thing and that he'll have something that resembles an actual show in the coming weeks.

That said, criticism like this is probably the reason why Kyle doesn't want his new show to be part of the Patreon. It can easily escalate into "this is not what I'm paying you for!" and be a huge burden.

Still, exciting new times. It makes you wonder when you should feel entitled to influence the direction they're going with. $10 a month? $25? $50? 100? Not at all and just shut up and cancel the subscription?

Servbot24

Banned
I'm far from new to the group and intro aside, I still not exactly happy about that. It's not what I had in mind, when I saw the patreon goal for Ian's new show. I do hope it's just a rushed pilot thing and that he'll have something that resembles an actual show in the coming weeks.

That said, criticism like this is probably the reason why Kyle doesn't want his new show to be part of the Patreon. It can easily escalate into "this is not what I'm paying you for!" and be a huge burden.

Still, exciting new times. It makes you wonder when you should feel entitled to influence the direction they're going with. $10 a month? $25? $50?
When fans start influencing their creative decisions I'm out. Fan interaction is part of who they are of course, but I want them to be them as much as possible. No homogenization.

Ian does what Ian does and I'm fine with that but I'm just gonna say that probably wasn't the best first show video to post on the channel. First impressions and all.

I hope we still get MUN sometime if he has the time. At least the end of the year reviews.

When fans start influencing their creative decisions I'm out.

I actually agree with you and edited the last part further.

I support them, because I want them to continue to do what they're good at. If Ian takes this as an opportunity to film the sequel to The Artist, then so be it. I might not be happy about it, but I'm simply not going to watch it then (who am I kidding, I'd watch it anyway, because I love him). Much like how I don't care about the reviews or Twitch streams. I still get more than enough content out of it to justify my subscription. But I feel like the conversation about the creative direction is going to happen sooner or later, now that people are putting their money in it and yes, I really hope that they're not going to give in. But I thought it's an interesting conversation to be had, given the lukewarm reception to Easy Update in here.

I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with giving people paying them money preferred treatment, but I'm not convinced they've gone about doing so in the best way possible.

Edit: In case it needs to be said, I am thrilled for them with how successful it has been out of the gate, and can only see great things in their future.

I agree with this completely. In my opinion, have Ben's pod (less news focused) be the one that Patreon's get first. While they are doing fantastic (and i'm personally going to up my pledge next month), they should be trying to expand their audience and the EZA pod is a fantastic way for new people to get the gist of what they are about while getting fresh news.

I wasn't all that familiar with GT back in the day and a friend recommended the pod to me and i've been hooked since. I'd still recommend EZA pod to anyone, but it might not hit as hard if they are getting old news.

To sum it up, I hope they follow the KF route. PSxoxo deals with news and is free and gamescast is delayed and deals with less time sensitive material. If they wanted to up the ante for patreon subs, i'd be fine with short term Patreon exclusivity for uploading their streams or even shows to youtube similar to what they did for the video pod. Also, it's kind of a pain getting a podcast not from Itunes as that's where I get everything else and streaming it eats into my bandwith and the soundcloud download link didn't work for me(?).

Well, whatever. I'm just so happy to getting shows and pods from this group again.

Hasney

I flagged the Soundcloud download link. It may not work on iOS, sent them a workaround, but it was from a year ago, so no idea if it still works or not. Works fine on everything else.

I think that whatever your feelings on delaying the news-based podcast is, it's pretty much too late. The genie is out of the bottle and changing up a tier that people have already signed up for is always going to annoy a chunk of people.

I'd wager to say the time and effort of Easy Update when into the song, both in writing it and production. The bit with AJ just seemed like bonus material since this must have been all fairly last minute. I don't want to quote Ian's full e-mail he sent to patreons last night but it sounds like Easy Update will change week to week.

In fact, I have an idea: a traditional Daily Show inspired news episodes of Easy Updates, like traditional ManUps, but the patreons can submit jokes, in addition to Ian, Kyle, and crew jokes.

llehuty

It's a weekly podcast, that covers news that range from 1 day old to 7 days old, people that are not patreon will get news that are 3 to 9 days old, I don't think it makes much of a difference.

As it was said, we come to neogaf or any other webpage for getting the most recent news, weekly podcasts are not going to cover that anyway. It's just for news analysis and impressions from the panel, IMO.

Hubble

It's a weekly podcast, that covers news that range from 1 day old to 7 days old, people that are not patreon will get news that are 3 to 9 days old, I don't think it makes much of a difference.

As it was said, we come to neogaf or any other webpage for getting the most recent news, weekly podcasts are not going to cover that anyway. It's just for news analysis and impressions from the panel, IMO.

Agree. All podcasts are already outdated by release anyway in today's world.

Mikey Jr.

What days will the 2nd podcast go up as seem to have missed this?

I don't think they even recorded it.

Right now, everything seems to be in flux. I think they went into the Patreon pretty hot. I think their mindset was this....

1. Get Patreon up as soon as possible while still riding the goodwill.

2. Keep everything modest. They assumed that they would reach 4k with Patreon, and that would be enough to get some basic equipment and slowly grow their Patreon from there. This would give them time to introduce stuff slowly. They planned for this scenario.

3. That didn't happen. They got like 7x their goal in like 24 hours. All of a sudden, 7 new shows got funded and it hasn't even been a week yet.

So yeah, everything right now is getting sorted out. I think this week is when stuff will start dropping on a regular basis. This week may still be even kinda rocky.

They went from 0 to 100 real quick.

Also, I like that they are putting thumbnails for their playthroughs. It makes everything look way more professional.

Who

Banned
I've never Kickstarted or Patreoned anything in my life. Never would I imagine id be paying 5 bucks a month to support a podcast.. But damn.. These guys are great. There's nobody else like them and they represent everything I want games coverage and "journalism" to be.

Keep it up guys! Can't wait for the EA E3 coverage

Burt

I've never Kickstarted or Patreoned anything in my life. Never would I imagine id be paying 5 bucks a month to support a podcast.. But damn.. These guys are great. There's nobody else like them and they represent everything I want games coverage and "journalism" to be.

I've done plenty of Kickstarters, but yeah, this was my first Patreon. The way that I like to think about it is as a magazine subscription, except better in pretty much every regard.

Going back through some of the early TTAs that I missed. It's interesting to see how they all grew over time, but I can also see why the show struggled a bit on GT. Things are slow going initially as people are grasping the rules, adjusting to their characters, and building context between each other. It's no one's fault, but I can't really blame people for tuning out of such a massive series early on, regardless of how absolutely brilliant it got once everyone hit their stride.

New TTA is going to be so good, and I have no doubt it's going to be a tremendous success. The experience they've accumulated and the dedicated audience that's already built-in should send it through the roof. The only thing that I might recommend is a recap/highlight reel every 5-6 episodes. But hey, knowing the community, I'd be surprised if someone didn't end up doing it for them.

Par Score

EZA E3 2016 could be a really big moment.

The zeitgeist around the GT live reactions to last years E3 was huge, but never really capitalised on by GT themselves (it has over 1 million combined views on Youtube across the various edits and re-uploads, and just about none of those went to anything actually official or linked to GT itself).

Capturing something like that is like lighting in a bottle, but if anyone can pull it off, it's the EZA guys.

Maligna

Banned
EZA E3 2016 could be a really big moment.

The zeitgeist around the GT live reactions to last years E3 was huge, but never really capitalised on by GT themselves (it has over 1 million combined views on Youtube across the various edits and re-uploads, and just about none of those went to anything actually official or linked to GT itself).

Capturing something like that is like lighting in a bottle, but if anyone can pull it off, it's the EZA guys.

They just have to make sure they have genuine reactions and that they don't try to force it to repeat last year's success.

Hasney

They just have to make sure they have genuine reactions and that they don't try to force it to repeat last year's success.

They won't. Huber will find something to be excited about though, because that's how Huber is. If the NX is there, Bosman might be on a desk if it looks good, or saying "oh my god" through laughing.

From Ben's Twitter

"I can happily announce that the first episode of our new tabletop show will be going up on Wednesday. It's free for everyone. So excited!!!"

And the cast

"@dafyddgape Myself, Brad, Kyle, Ian, and Huber."

Zomba13

I am genuine when I say this: I don't understand what there is to "get" from this.

All I heard was a message about acceptance, but then says we don't accept religion and politics. Yes, it's a gaming show, but why even mention it and in such a negative way.

Just catching up on the thread so sorry if this has been discussed.

Really, all Ian is saying in the little song thins is "be respectful and don't be a dick and if you're going to be a dick don't watch but also we don't really care about politics or sport or religion so won't be talking about that stuff because that stuff brings strong opinions and leads to people being meanies". He didn't say he doesn't accept politics or sport or religion, only he won't talk about that stuff because he doesn't care to talk about it.

ito007

I'm so excited. New podcast and TTA were what I missed the most. So I guess this means Wednesdays are gonna be stacked because both those shows come out that same day.

Hasney

So glad Wednesday is my working from home day.

Honestly, everything is getting sorted faster than I imagined. We've got 3 shows scheduled in within a week, so now just waiting on Bosman, Huber, Damiani, A Cup of Jones and the 2nd podcast!

Mikey Jr.

So glad Wednesday is my working from home day.

Honestly, everything is getting sorted faster than I imagined. We've got 3 shows scheduled in within a week, so now just waiting on Bosman, Huber, Damiani, A Cup of Jones and the 2nd podcast!

Cup of Jones SHOULD be Monday.

Hasney

Hey, u guys know where can i find the episode 5 of d&d?

Nah, I've scoured the internet looking for that thing when people said it was missing. Huge bummer. Might have to make do with the podcast version of that one.

Think it's episodes 5-17 we're missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom