• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT| Good Vibes and Good Hype

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepperedHam

Can someone explain the process of stitching together audio for a remotely done podcast. I'm confused about what you guys want.
Everyone recording their voice using Audacity or any other local voice recording software and sending their clip to whomever is editing so everyone's voice is of the best possible quality.

Or at least I think that's what they mean.

Thores

Can someone explain the process of stitching together audio for a remotely done podcast. I'm confused about what you guys want.

Basically each participant in the podcast, in addition to Skype, has Audacity or something and is recording their own voice locally. This way they have a track of everything they've said directly into their microphone at the highest possible quality, not downgraded by Skype. Then after the podcast wraps, everyone sends Ben their individual voice files, which he pieces together in editing. If everyone presses record at roughly the same time it's not TOO hard or stressful to stitch together.

timmyp53

Basically each participant in the podcast, in addition to Skype, has Audacity or something and is recording their own voice locally. This way they have a track of everything they've said directly into their microphone at the highest possible quality, not downgraded by Skype. Then after the podcast wraps, everyone sends Ben their individual voice files, which he pieces together in editing. If everyone presses record at roughly the same time it's not TOO hard or stressful to stitch together.
Ah nice.

Burt

We can stream HD movies onto our phones while in the middle of the woods

But non-turd voice chat is beyond the scope of modern technology

c'mon Skype

I've used something called Ecamm in the past for my podcast work, and that has been fine. Boot up Skype, hit record and then afterwards you can separate each participant into their own audio and/or video track later.

If you can get everyone to record on their end, that's great, but an absolute pain in the arse that I've never had time for. Given that this is their job though, I guess they can manage it lol.

TNH853

if i don´t overlook a patreon than eza should be the nr.1 patreon right now.

1. Easy Allies: 35,239
2. Amanda Palmer: 35,232
3. Kinda Funny: 34,960

jbluzb

Kinda funny is 22+32=54k combined patreon, but EZA is moving positively so it will get there :)

Spman2099

Amanda Palmer has a patreon? That is interesting...

Also, that is awesome. Everyone at Easy Allies must be pretty stoked that everyone loves them this much. I hope they end up making the kind of money that makes their former employers burn on the inside.

Thores

Blood tweeted an old episode of Thanks for Playing, where they held an intervention for Ben, because he bought so many games, without playing them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erju3zgNmzk

I knew that "must be nice" was referring to Ben, but I had no idea.
Holy cow. That makes me feel frugal.

My favorite detail about this video is how much effort the editor put into censoring Ben's NIKE hoodie, only to give up in the very last shot.

Auctopus

Blood tweeted an old episode of Thanks for Playing, where they held an intervention for Ben, because he bought so many games, without playing them.

Origin of "Must Be Nice" was...

Ben Moore is well known for buying booster packs on Hearthstone. Huber was playing him one evening and apparently got destroyed by Ben's far superior deck. Huber being a F2P player messaged him "Pay to win. Must be nice."

It's weird thinking people don't know that story, it was only last year.

wapplew

I loved Thanks for playing! As a replacement show for invincible wall, it feel short lived.
Still rocking that theme song from time to time.

Edit: Ryan and Jeremy are great producers, missed them so much.

Origin of "Must Be Nice" was...

Ben Moore is well known for buying booster packs on Hearthstone. Huber was playing him one evening and apparently got destroyed by Ben's far superior deck. Huber being a F2P player messaged him "Pay to win. Must be nice."

It's weird thinking people don't know that story, it was only last year.

I do know the story and I've heard other stories of Ben's spending habits (which is absolutely fine, btw! I'm not judging him at all!), but I didn't know it went as far as the video showed. E: And the way the video was edited was just funny to me.

For the group stream I hope something other than Quantum Break wins it. It being a story focused single player game is something that I want to experience myself first and also doesn't seem to mix with the chaos of the group stream

Auctopus

I do know the story and I've heard other stories of Ben's spending habits (which is absolutely fine, btw! I'm not judging him at all!), but I didn't know it went as far as the video showed. E: And the way the video was edited was just funny to me.

Oh sorry, I just re-read your comment and it makes sense now!

wapplew

For the group stream I hope something other than Quantum Break wins it. It being a story focused single player game is something that I want to experience myself first and also doesn't seem to mix with the chaos of the group stream

Enter the Gungeon going to win. Couch co-op > single player for group stream, much more fun!

kami_sama

Very happy for these guys. And it's awesome to see that the patreon total not only hasn't diminished, but grown.
I want them to have their own office and all.

UrbanRats

I'm a bit wary of the second podcast being through Skype, because everytime there's a skype connection, or any sort of "over the phone guest", it's always sort of bad and awkward (even on TV it's true, i think), but we'll see.

Grief51

Banned
Yeees EZA is now the single biggest item on Patreon as I type this:

$35.237 for EZA vs $35.235 for Amanda Palmer

Of course Kinda Funny still the biggest if you add up both their Patreons with $57.217.
Still this is very impressive for EZA and it continues to grow BOTH in pledged amount and number of Patreons. I thought it would plateau at 33-34k, but that hasn't happened.

EZA continues to grow fairly consistently. I feel 40k could come sooner than you might think...

Neil_J_UK

I've never watched any gaming podcasts before as they never really interested me - the only thing I went to gametrailers for was the video reviews which I loved. But man, after watching the first EZA podcast I'm hooked on their videos. Such a cool bunch of guys that are enjoyable to listen.

I don't see the issue with a podcast over Skype, as long as the audio quality is fine. I listen to other podcasts that are being recorded with Skype and Hangouts and it's not an issue at all. Of course it would be nice, if they were all in the same room, but that shouldn't have an impact on the discussion at all.

I don't see the issue with a podcast over Skype, as long as the audio quality is fine. I listen to other podcasts that are being recorded with Skype and Hangouts and it's not an issue at all. Of course it would be nice, if they were all in the same room, but that shouldn't have an impact on the discussion at all.

Right. As has been pointed out there are plenty of podcasts that record over VOIP and unless someone told you, you wouldn't have known.

Karu

Hitfix' Roth Cornet does Skype (or similiar) interviews with her colleagues from time to time and quality is simply put absolutely awful. Put in the effort and it hopefully will be alright! In theory I can live with Skyped-in podcasts.

Saul

Banned
Hi Gaf

Do you guys think it's ok for me to share the Cup of Jones link on social media or on an internet forum?

Heartfyre

While I'm not thrilled that the second podcast is a Skype one, I think it could work. While I wasn't fond of the content of TotalBiscuit's show when Kyle and Brandon was on it, as far as video and audio quality went, it actually worked really well. I presume they had some very specific hardware and software solutions for it, but it's still possible to have a good setup this way -- and it doesn't even have the added pressures of being streamed live on Twitch. Still, I would hope that in the long run, the goal is to have it done in person. I'd hope it'd be some point before the $50,000 tier, but you never know.

On another topic, it's interesting that the YouTube view counts are almost in-line with the GameTrailers days. About 15,000 views for shows, and doubling for reviews in the case of Quantum Break. It really seems as though the same fans have followed them. But best of all, 4,200 of them are throwing them a lot of green through Patreon. Who needs a big audience when you have a small, generous, and affluent one? Frankly, you're better off with a small active fanbase that want to support you, rather than a large, disinterested one that might deign to turn off ad block if they're feeling particularly altruistic.

Karu

Hi Gaf

Do you guys think it's ok for me to share the Cup of Jones link on social media or on an internet forum?
Mh, no, since the show is exclusie to Patreon. Sharing the link will give access to everyone and give less incentive to support them in the future.

Cup of Jones was way better this week. Jones has a slightly different voice when reading a script vs just talking, and I think the latter is a lot better suited to this format. Good stuff!

Hi Gaf

It's definitely not okay, as it's a show exclusive to Patreon supporters. Sharing it with others defeats the purpose of making it exclusive.

Tankard

On the podcast being recorded over skype. I guess you guys are just not used to it maybe, a lot of the podcasts i know from US, Canada are recorded in presence, whereas podcasts are also big here in Brazil and the vast majority of them are done via Skype with programs like Audacity and it works really well if you find the right chemistry to know when to jump in the matter. The problem of that is the editing becomes more necessary as there might be a huge difference in the conversation dynamic, maybe you will have long pauses, awkward silence, or awkward everyone's talking and nothing can be listened.

Also, it's beautiful they are now #1 on Patreon and still growing steadily, this is amazing and I hope by E3 we get them a new office and bring them full time.

Saul

Banned
Alright thanks.

I was just thinking that giving a "sneak peak" into cup of jones might actually make some people think about supporting as well. ^^

Wiggy

I think skype pods will be fine as long they set it up right to record individually. It'll also help give the show its own unique vibe and look to differentiate the show from the EZA Pod. Also this format opens the show more easily to people like Damiani and maybe other special guests from outside the EZA crew.

Naythan

I feel like Huber calling his show "HYPE!" without any specific or unique identifiers might be a bad idea. I could see it making his videos hard to find when being searched for. Maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps they should call it HYPE! starring Mike Huber or something like that.

Wiggy

I feel like Huber calling his show "HYPE!" without any specific or unique identifiers might be a bad idea. I could see it making his videos hard to find when being searched for. Maybe I'm wrong.

Perhaps they should call it HYPE! starring Mike Huber or something like that.

Michael Huber's HYPE!

I wonder how close they can be before defy would come knocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom