• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked the TTE fanart episode. It was nice reminiscing and seeing people's interpretations of the characters. Also nice to see some clarifications on the grain.
Obviously smoke and mirrors, since the all-powerful grain will no doubt be the key to defeating the red dragons, esoterically known for having coeliac cisease. Makes perfect sense that the Nightingales were stocking up on the thing. It is a shame that Law fell before the group encountered one, as his wound would have made short work of those guys.
Ha, no forbidden word this episode. Wanted to try another Frame Trap without it and I actually liked not doing it. The game is fun, but I enjoyed having a tighter show.
Whenever the forbidden word is not triggered, I'll just assume it was "Chupacabra".

MrMette

Last Guardian has a proper story, progression, atmosphere and emotion to propel it. LBP has a knitted character.

Sure, but I really enjoyed playing the LBP games and had a lot of fun with them. The last time I played TLG (still haven't finished it at all), I still didn't have fun playing it. I love the atmosphere and how everything looks and the way Trico reacts, but the controls and camera just murder my enjoyment each time I have to do a bit of platforming.

I am still planning on finishing it as I don't like starting games and not finish it and I know the story will be good and want to understand why there is such a high praise for that game, but it is really tough for me to play that game for some reason.

I really believe TLG is one of the worst controling games I have played the last 3 generations. It feels like a PS1/PS2 game as far as controls go and I don't understand how that flies in 2017.
I do have to admit I started playing it again and I had more fun that the previous time I played it and I just didn't start again because Yakuza 0 came out. But I stopped playing again after I died because some weird thing with the controls or camera.

That said I never the biggest fan of 3D platforming in general, so maybe I just suck at it. I did love the Ratchet & Clank remaster and I am a Yooka-Laylee backer, so hopefully that game can change my mind.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, I do understand why people love that game, I just am just trying to understand how people can find the LBP controls really bad, but that there's nothing wrong with the TLG controls.

But to each their own I guess :)

I don't argue that Little Big Planet's game design and controls are not cohesive. While garbage was obvious hyperbole, regardless of Mario, it is still not fun.

I find it fun. The main campaigns can be a bit hit or miss (LBP Vita's one is legit great though) but it absolutely shines when you combine that gameplay with the incredible stuff the LBP community does.

I don't really get the constant need to compare LBP to Mario Maker though, as one is about giving the users the tools to do almost anything they can think of, while the other is about making/playing Mario levels. The two development teams clearly had two completely different visions in mind when making those games.

That said, if anyone made a LBP4, they could definitely learn from Mario Maker's creator interface though. I'd say Media Molecule could learn from it but the scope of Dreams seems like it's on a whole other level.

Also, TLG is the best game of the last 10 years. Truthfact.

MrMette

I find it fun. The main campaigns can be a bit hit or miss (LBP Vita's one is legit great though) but it absolutely shines when you combine that gameplay with the incredible stuff the LBP community does.

I don't really get the constant need to compare LBP to Mario Maker though, as one is about giving the users the tools to do almost anything they can think of, while the other is about making/playing Mario levels. The two development teams clearly had two completely different visions in mind when making those games.

That said, if anyone made a LBP4, they could definitely learn from Mario Maker's creator interface though. I'd say Media Molecule could learn from it but the scope of Dreams seems like it's on a whole other level.

Also, TLG is the best game of the last 10 years. Truthfact.
I am a fan of the LBP games as well, but I am not sure I want a 4th one to be honest. I did feel the 3rd one felt somewhat stale already, but maybe I need to give it another shot.

That said, LBP 1 released in 2008, Mario Maker in 2015. Surely they had more time (and money) to create a better game. In N you can create your own levels as well (at least in N++, I don't remember if it was the case in the previous ones), the same with the Trials games (which imo are platformers although I am sure not a lot of people will agree with me there).

It's not that it's a new concept.

Karu

Also Mario Maker had the touch-feature, which for level creation - or so I imagine - is huuuge. Soemthing LBP can't do, but would certainly benefit from.

Joqu

Final update: Frametrap video is still broken here, but I've decided to simply download it using a 3rd party website, which worked fine. So I'm watching it that way at this very moment at full HD and I would recommend anyone with a similar issue to do the same.

And don't worry, Youtube might not have been streaming the video properly, but the ads worked just fine. I'd say I've given those the proper amount of views. >_>

Riposte

The problem with your argument is a) You can change the way LBP plays and b) You're judging the default LBP physics against Mario when it never tries to be a Mario game, the physics work perfectly fine with the level design.

Way to get the email and answers both completely wrong. The email also pointed out that RE7 sold worse than RE6 in the west and asked two questions: Whether they should go back to the action style and whether they should abandon Japan. Brad then disagreed, saying it wasn't a very western game, which has nothing to do with sales or Japanese gamers liking it.

I think they were right. There are a couple of RE6 fans running around GAF in complete denial but RE6 definitely hurt the franchise a lot, RE7 was going to take that hit no matter what type of game it was. The impact of the RE7 genre shift won't be noticeable until RE8's launch, same as how RE4 set up RE5's huge sales.

As for the question of whether Capcom should abandon Japan with RE, uh, that happened a long, long time ago. The fact it came to Xbox is proof of that.

One aspect that Kyle only briefly touched on is the budget. I think it's a really smart move to scale the series back from where it was heading with RE6 and move in a different direction, one that still sells really well but avoids the constant and increasingly more expensive race to the top of the action genre, where everyone has to compete with the Uncharted's, Call of Duty's and so on. And for once, I think Capcom knows what they're doing, their RE7 projections were shockingly realistic.

The PS4 is doing better than the PS3 when launch aligned but none of the software seems to be showing it, including RE7, Yakuza 6 and FFXV.

Listened to it again, it's fairly clear the person who wrote the email is saying "this game did not go over as well with Japan" (whereas the "action" games did) as the basis of it being a western-focused game. The mention of the drop in sales/expectations in the west doesn't really negate that line of thought (which is why they specifically ask about Japan), it just further highlights Capcom's situation for the second question (i.e., in spite of the rave critical success). It's actually not doing that badly in the west, a slight decline perhaps. I doubt I misunderstood the email, maybe they did and then I misunderstood them. My problem is more along the lines of they completely neglect the part about Japan and just explain their personal opinion situated in the West - if they simply forgot the Japanese part, then I guess I did read too much into what they were saying.

Jones talks about how the game may have been poorly marketed, which is a fair point. I would add however, there being no traditional Resident Evil characters and the FP (eventually FPS) style could have possibly been bigger turn-offs for fans in Japan and those sit at the core of the game. These may be consider "pluses" with those in the west, but what I want point out is that you can't just say Japan wants you want just because you like (some) Japanese games.

Bosman says "I think it will have legs", which is funny, because RE6 had very solid legs. It climbed from 4m to 6m ww (including moderate successes with Steam and the remasters), and 600k to 1m within Japan (including PS4 rerelease). This conflicts with Jone's idea of putting up a "stop sign" after people found out it wasn't as good as RE5. There's also the matter of them being years (and several spin-offs) apart and RE7 having a whole new image.

The budget of RE6 vs RE7 is based on speculation (to the podcast's credit, they are cautious enough to say it just seems that way). While RE6 is the larger game, RE7 is next-gen and involved the creation of a whole new engine. RE6 may have been more expensive, but the gap is also possibly much smaller than you imply. In any case, there's no hard numbers to back it up. This is kind of irrelevant to what I was saying though.

As for what you said, the idea that Capcom gave up on Resident Evil in Japan by going multiplaform is utter toss. That sounds like some console war nonsense I would read ten years ago before it became obvious multiplaform was the new norm. It actually does not affect how Japan perceives the game, unless you believe the "honor" meme is real (FFXIII was the most successful game of that gen, also "abandoning Japan" by going multiplatform). RE5 and RE6 are some of the most success console games of their gen; mainline RE has been a successful console series.

Moving on from that, the Japanese console market has indeed shrunk, which has affected other titles as you mention. This is actually a very good point, although it wasn't mentioned. The question is whether it has affected them equally. Should RE7 be doing Yakuza 6 numbers to begin with? Also, I wouldn't put much faith in Capcom's projections, unfortunately. They seem reluctant to admit their failures, as seen with Street Fighter V being unable to catch on.

Listened to it again, it's fairly clear the person who wrote the email is saying "this game did not go over as well with Japan" (whereas the "action" games did) as the basis of it being a western-focused game. The mention of the drop in sales/expectations in the west doesn't really negate that line of thought (which is why they specifically ask about Japan), it just further highlights Capcom's situation for the second question (i.e., in spite of the rave critical success). It's actually not doing that badly in the west, a slight decline perhaps. I doubt I misunderstood the email, maybe they did and then I misunderstood them. My problem is more along the lines of they completely neglect the part about Japan and just explain their personal opinion situated in the West - if they simply forgot the Japanese part, then I guess I did read too much into what they were saying.

Jones talks about how the game may have been poorly marketed, which is a fair point. I would add however, there being no traditional Resident Evil characters and the FP (eventually FPS) style could have possibly been bigger turn-offs for fans in Japan and those sit at the core of the game. These may be consider "pluses" with those in the west, but what I want point out is that you can't just say Japan wants you want just because you like (some) Japanese games.

Bosman says "I think it will have legs", which is funny, because RE6 had very solid legs. It climbed from 4m to 6m ww (including moderate successes with Steam and the remasters), and 600k to 1m within Japan (including PS4 rerelease). This conflicts with Jone's idea of putting up a "stop sign" after people found out it wasn't as good as RE5. There's also the matter of them being years (and several spin-offs) apart and RE7 having a whole new image.

The budget of RE6 vs RE7 is based on speculation (to the podcast's credit, they are cautious enough to say it just seems that way). While RE6 is the larger game, RE7 is next-gen and involved the creation of a whole new engine. RE6 may have been more expensive, but the gap is also possibly much smaller than you imply. In any case, there's no hard numbers to back it up. This is kind of irrelevant to what I was saying though.

As for what you said, the idea that Capcom gave up on Resident Evil in Japan by going multiplaform is utter toss. That sounds like some console war nonsense I would read ten years ago before it became obvious multiplaform was the new norm. It actually does not affect how Japan perceives the game, unless you believe the "honor" meme is real (FFXIII was the most successful game of that gen, also "abandoning Japan" by going multiplatform). RE5 and RE6 are some of the most success console games of their gen; mainline RE has been a successful console series.

Moving on from that, the Japanese console market has indeed shrunk, which has affected other titles as you mention. This is actually a very good point, although it wasn't mentioned. The question is whether it has affected them equally. Should RE7 be doing Yakuza 6 numbers to begin with? Also, I wouldn't put much faith in Capcom's projections, unfortunately. They seem reluctant to admit their failures, as seen with Street Fighter V being unable to catch on.

I'm not sure I follow. They have projections for games that they either hit or miss. How does SFV not hitting its projection effect why one shouldn't put faith in Capcoms RE7 projection? 4 million is a fairly good conservativr projection, especially with what's already been shipped. It shows that Capcom had lowered expectations.

Mario007

I'm not sure I follow. They have projections for games that they either hit or miss. How does SFV not hitting its projection effect why one shouldn't put faith in Capcoms RE7 projection? 4 million is a fairly good conservativr projection, especially with what's already been shipped. It shows that Capcom had lowered expectations.

Capcom's projects, to be fair, are usually pretty bad at trying to predict how much a game will sell.

Thinking back on it, this town would be a perfect time to bring back the halfling thief that Law met in prison in Episode 13. Could even get information on what happened to the Baron.

(Assuming of course that Tyrell managed to escape prison in the chaos, get away safely, and that this city would be the first place a halfing thief would go)

Cellsplitter

Neo Member
What I remember most about that day (in hindsight) was Kyle streaming earlier in the day (I think it was G Force) and Brandon came in. Kyle asked how he was and he said something like "I've had better days" so they both knew but didn't say anything until the evening stream.

They did touch on this a while back and apparently only Brandon knew until they had the meeting where Ian guessed right away that they were let go.
Kyle was blissfully unaware at the time of the G-Force stream.

cm osi

Jones is right, lbp did years ago something mario maker can't and will never be able to do, because it's basically lego mario. of course it's a better game, because it's lego mario, but the scope is not even close

wiibomb

someone tell me what happened with Damiani before the podcast... I was legitimately worried to see him so silent and upset...

Jones is right, lbp did years ago something mario maker can't and will never be able to do, because it's basically lego mario. of course it's a better game, because it's lego mario, but the scope is not even close

bigger scope doesn't mean better, it does have a much bigger scope and it is amazing to see what some people create, but doing something in those games feels like working...

Ray Down

Banned
I don't get where people are getting that RE7 costed less than RE6, are you forgetting that RE7 is running on a whole new engine they build for the game.

While RE6 was running on Capcom MT Framework engine which they been using all across last gen.

Vinc

someone tell me what happened with Damiani before the podcast... I was legitimately worried to see him so silent and upset...

bigger scope doesn't mean better, it does have a much bigger scope and it is amazing to see what some people create, but doing something in those games feels like working...

Yeah hopefully he's not upset. I don't know what happened either. Might just be scared to say like, I know I would be! :p

wiibomb

I don't get where people are getting that RE7 costed less than RE6, are you forgetting that RE7 is running on a whole new engine they build for the game.

While RE6 was running on Capcom MT Framework engine which they been using all across last gen.

I believe the engine is another kind of investment, they could use MTF and just go along with it, but they decided to move to a new engine since MT was getting old and it was kind of expensive in working time from the devs, the investment of the engine is different than the one in the game itself since the engine will work on more than just this game, it will make work easier for next installments and even other franchises...

it is like investing in a console, you invest it for several games and not just 1.

Mista Koo

I just watched the GT fiasco with Brad. Aside from the train wreck of a plot and the borderline racism, it had glorious moments. Suburban drug dealers dealing with
the Yakuza
. Ben's performance in the scene with the translator killed me.

sora87

Yeah hopefully he's not upset. I don't know what happened either. Might just be scared to say like, I know I would be! :p

He's normally quiet on the podcast unless it's something that he's interested in, that plus the "like" situation :p

Philippo

Waiting for that Nioh review like

giphy.gif

abrack08

Final update: Frametrap video is still broken here, but I've decided to simply download it using a 3rd party website, which worked fine. So I'm watching it that way at this very moment at full HD and I would recommend anyone with a similar issue to do the same.

And don't worry, Youtube might not have been streaming the video properly, but the ads worked just fine. I'd say I've given those the proper amount of views. >_>

Seems you've already found a solution, but in the future, if you don't absolutely have to have the video along with it, there is an audio only version of the show. Sometimes the Wifi at my work is having issues and I don't want to use my mobile data for the video so I just open my podcast app and listen to it.

Instead of listening to it, you can read his post here:
https://www.patreon.com/posts/this-week-in-8016458

I'm not seeing your argument here, the writer didn't say it was western focused because of its sales, he outright called it "a very western game." I completely agree with Brad on that one. It isn't. It might seem like a western game at first, what with the first person perspective, but it's still a very Japanese game.

Jones, Damiani and Brad did ignore the Japanese sales part of the post but I think that's because the western sales were brought up straight afterwards. My first take was the same as theirs, it sounded to me like it was talking about the sales as a whole, not just Japan.

As for RE6's legs, it may have climbed from 4m to 6m but that was in large part thanks to the price being slashed obscenely quickly. I remember being really disappointed I bought that bloody game on day one, first because it sucked but secondly because I could find it for half price less than a month later. Sales numbers alone don't give you the full story.

Utter toss? You mean dross? Either way, you completely missed my point by a couple of hundred k's. It had nothing to do with console wars, RE has been a multiplatform series since the first game. My point was that RE is not a Japan focused series and hasn't been for a long time (if ever), it's not a series where Japan's THE region (like MH or DQ) and a significant drop in Japan will send everyone to their panic stations. Which is why I pointed to the Xbox, because those kind of series have tended to avoid Xbox this gen.

The engine isn't intended just for RE7 (it's called RE Engine but the RE doesn't stand for Resident Evil), so lumping that into RE7's budget is silly. It's an investment Capcom's made that will likely pay off for them in multiple games going forward.

Whereas RE6 had the largest development team Capcom's ever had. There were meant to be over 600 people working on it at one point.

Edit: Oops, forgot to reply to MrMette too:
I am a fan of the LBP games as well, but I am not sure I want a 4th one to be honest. I did feel the 3rd one felt somewhat stale already, but maybe I need to give it another shot.

That said, LBP 1 released in 2008, Mario Maker in 2015. Surely they had more time (and money) to create a better game. In N you can create your own levels as well (at least in N++, I don't remember if it was the case in the previous ones), the same with the Trials games (which imo are platformers although I am sure not a lot of people will agree with me there).

It's not that it's a new concept.

I don't want a LBP4 now, just some time down the road. Give it a break and bring it back at some point, preferably in a far more polished state and with a better new gimmick than a bunch of new characters.

ShadyK54

I just watched the GT fiasco with Brad. Aside from the train wreck of a plot and the borderline racism, it had glorious moments. Suburban drug dealers dealing with
the Yakuza
. Ben's performance in the scene with the translator killed me.

"Yuki gets sniped!"
& Brad's first scene (
"I was in Tokyo having saki-bombs with the head of the Yakuza"
) in particular kill me every time. My sides never not hurt when I rewatch it.

Budi

Podcast was pretty enjoyable. Though the timings for the For Honor bet seem really short having played the beta a bit.

Yeah thought so too, though did they specify what 4vs4 mode they are going with? In elimination I can see it being fast, but not in Dominion.

Got giddy hearing Monkey Island mentioned, even when it was just part of the Xbox Live lineup. I think the first game has been featured in the same discussion earlier. And really glad that there seemed to be respect for the game series among the Allies. Really warms my heart. Now I want Monkey Island spoilercast though.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Slow news week for the podcast, it seems. Kyle found a way to cap the ticket so nobody would want it to get there, which is a shame, I was hoping to know what a level 10 prove it ticket does some day....

Slow news week for the podcast, it seems. Kyle found a way to cap the ticket so nobody would want it to get there, which is a shame, I was hoping to know what a level 10 prove it ticket does some day....

Think it makes sense to have a cap. At least people will use the damn ticket now.

El-Suave

I don't like the ticket potentially impacting the flow of conversation and the less they meddle with the bets score from outside the bets themselves the better. If the spread gets to big like last year you can still try to close the gap.

Hasney

The Don bets were great and he impacted nothing, other than his good vibes clearly rallying the team. If that happens again I'm all for it.

Bit late here but I have been making my way through Damiani's RE7 stream (I wanted to finish the game first). I cannot remember seeing him get up to take a break!

Philippo

I can't shake from my head the image of Huber going to his gf on St Valentine holding the axe he got as present, saying "TONIGHT WE ARE GLING TO VALHALLA HONEY".
Well at least Ben's girl is safe since P5 is delayed lol

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I can't shake from my head the image of Huber going to his gf on St Valentine holding the axe he got as present, saying "TONIGHT WE ARE GLING TO VALHALLA HONEY".
Well at least Ben's girl is safe since P5 is delayed lol

HONEY! TONIGHT. WE DINE. IN HELL!

3zclFn1.jpg

Auctopus

Bit late here but I have been making my way through Damiani's RE7 stream (I wanted to finish the game first). I cannot remember seeing him get up to take a break!

The chat sometimes tells him to take a break, especially over Christmas. Just to get some water or stretch a little. Always found it cute, ahha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom