• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShadyK54

Lastly, Huber's New Vegas dislike is absolutely disgusting. It's the only good Fallout Bethesda's published.

I'm listening to FT right now while trying to get through some homework, and this part just came up. I've never felt my heart shatter into a million pieces harder than when he said this. Then I felt all those pieces get kicked around when he said he enjoyed Fallout 4 lol.

Still love Huber, though.

Edit: Hi, new page.

Joqu

Have you tried clearing your browser's cache etc and retrying the video?

Oh man. I've tried everything. No seriously, multiple devices, desktop, laptop, phones, you name it. Multiple internet connections from multiple internet providers at multiple locations. (Okay, two locations. But that's multiple)

And yeah, stuff like clearing my cache, resetting my router and all that. That's what I started with.

... now, that makes it sound a little excessive but it's been more of a "hey, can I borrow your phone real quick? I want to check on this youtube video" thing. Just for the record. :p

Gigarator

Good work Don, great episode! When you revealed the pinball machine I immediately though "oh yeah, I've played that in Pinball Arcade!" so to see the video end in that manner was really satisfying. Personally I'm a big fan of Medieval Madness, if I could have a pinball machine of my own it would be that one.

Or Black Knight 2000, because that thing has some awesome music.

Mista Koo

First off I don't like the format at all. I understand the idea behind the new format, but having a block for each person to talk about what they've been doing feels more natural. Also the new format limits to games and not just all entertainment and life in general. We have the other podcast for the more structured/hosted format. In fact Frame Trap should get the couch setup while the other podcast should get the desk (couch is probably more comfortable for the longer length too).
Secondly I would reiterate my suggestion of taking breaks. It should make the podcast less taxing on the panel (but more taxing on the editor I guess).

I liked how Brad chucked when Huber muttered new era. And when everyone else was saying the need I realized he's never played Fiasco? That should be rectified.
It's interesting how the fake chatter in Wildlands seems to be divisive.

Hasney

I like the format when there's a shitton of new games to talk about. There's some weeks when it's going to be required because what a fucking year it's going to be.

Mista Koo

I like the format when there's a shitton of new games to talk about. There's some weeks when it's going to be required because what a fucking year it's going to be.
Even then it can still be the same old way, just make sure no one on the panel talks about anything besides current games. Any game that wasn't mentioned can be mentioned by Ben.

sora87

I've been watching the ff7 stream in the background over the past 2 weeks and got finished today, boy what a ride that was going back. So many great moments.

Brad, still waiting on that Crisis Core full playthrough with Bosman!

ShadyK54

Same here. Even then, did Ben mention that this new format would be permanent? I don't recall anywhere where he said it would be.

Either way, both formats work for me. All I ask out of Ben/FT is that it turns into a 5 hour Personacast when Persona 5 finally comes out.

First off I don't like the format at all. I understand the idea behind the new format, but having a block for each person to talk about what they've been doing feels more natural. Also the new format limits to games and not just all entertainment and life in general. We have the other podcast for the more structured/hosted format. In fact Frame Trap should get the couch setup while the other podcast should get the desk (couch is probably more comfortable for the longer length too).
Secondly I would reiterate my suggestion of taking breaks. It should make the podcast less taxing on the panel (but more taxing on the editor I guess).

I liked how Brad chucked when Huber muttered new era. And when everyone else was saying the need I realized he's never played Fiasco? That should be rectified.

I understand this in theory, but I actually thought the episode had a great flow to it. I felt like everyone was part of the conversation more of the time. Talking with the panel afterward, we covered exactly everything they wanted to discuss anyway. Totally understandable that people enjoy hearing about "entertainment and life in general" and I do agree that it is a strength of the show, but at the same time the episode is going to be a reflection of our current headspace. Every single person on the panel is super busy with big games, so the episode reflected that. It's just a dominating factor at the moment. The more off-kilter stuff will certainly come back. I think people are worried that any new element in FT is a permanent thing whenever it happens and that's not the case.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I understand this in theory, but I actually thought the episode had a great flow to it. I felt like everyone was part of the conversation more of the time. Talking with the panel afterward, we covered exactly everything they wanted to discuss anyway. Totally understandable that people enjoy hearing about "entertainment and life in general" and I do agree that it is a strength of the show, but at the same time the episode is going to be a reflection of our current headspace. Every single person on the panel is super busy with big games, so the episode reflected that. It's just a dominating factor at the moment. The more off-kilter stuff will certainly come back. I think people are worried that any new element in FT is a permanent thing whenever it happens and that's not the case.

Maybe a sort of fusion of styles is just you taking the lead on what people have been playing by forming the list from everyone off camera beforehand, then just going through them as the host.

What killed the flow sometimes in Whatcha Been Playing is some people are prepared to speak for an hour about their list, and others are a bit more introverted and have to be poked.

Problem is then the placement for Hubers "BUT VIKINGS THOUGH" segment is lost to the sands of time.

sinxtanx

TTE
Didn't think I was gonna like a fanart episode, but ended up loving it.
They should showcase fanarts more often, maybe at the start of recording sessions?

Favorite fanart: Pomper and Moof with the combo

Tigermave

Neo Member
I'm listening to FT right now while trying to get through some homework, and this part just came up. I've never felt my heart shatter into a million pieces harder than when he said this. Then I felt all those pieces get kicked around when he said he enjoyed Fallout 4 lol.

Still love Huber, though.

Edit: Hi, new page.

The strange thing is that I swear I remember Huber tearing Fallout 4 up near the end of 2015 on a GT Time... it sticks out because he was hitting many of the thoughts I had about why Fallout 4 wasn't that great, and I loved it.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I liked the flow of the most recent Frametrap a lot. It definitely felt like it was better than the average Frametrap.

I'm not sure if that was because of the format or because the topics/games resonated way more due to them being way more informed about them(all of them play or finished RE7 for example).

I think the criticism in what seems to be lost with the format is also kind of fair in the sense that those are also elements people love about Frame Trap but Ben already said that may have been more because people's head space is generally more occupied by the ridiculous release season we're in.

I will say though that while I always loved all the FT episode the last one was kind of a reminder of ok there are thing to improve upon that I as a listener I don't generally think about as I'm more than happy to listen when the topics are engaging. But flow as well as lively and natural banter add a lot to the listening experience.

Reminds me a bit about Casters/Analyst in dota nerding out about how to min/max design the analyst panel based on each of their strengths to have an optimal viewer experience.

UrbanRats

Who has never played Fiasco? Both Brad and Huber played Fiasco (in the GT days).
One of the best episodes, too.

Mista Koo

Who has never played Fiasco? Both Brad and Huber played Fiasco (in the GT days).
One of the best episodes, too.
I meant Brad. And I missed that one despite fact checking before posting :X

Interesting to note that I've spotted Ian reroll when one number is missing at least once!

Mikey Jr.

Okay, so a day has passed and I figured I'd give y'all an update on my Frametrap Buffering Mystery.

...Well, basically I've had plenty of new YouTube videos to check with, and there's no issues there. Same with any old ones, no issues. Latest Frametrap though? Yup, it's still completely broken for me, with constant buffering even at 144p. Pretty much unwatchable.

Anyone here happen to know anything about this kind of issue? A specific YouTube video that refuses to stream properly but works for many others? I've been searching around but nothing has been much help.

I don't know how this stuff works but I've tried multiple internet providers now at multiple places with multiple devices and it's all with the same problem with that one video, so I assume it's some sort of regional thing. I'd say it's clearly a YouTube issue of sorts, but what a strangely specific one.

I guess this isn't going to be a problem in the long term so I'm obsessing it or anything, but I do like me some Frametrap. And this is pretty perplexing to me so I would like to figure this out somehow y'know?

Whew, so it's just not me?

A ton of youtube shit is buffering for me.

Same. It works well when you have games a number of people want to contribute too or you have a big batch you know you got to get through. They other way works well when things are lighter and you can meander through topics and off topic tangents

CyReN

Crazy to think its been a year since Gametrailers ended, thanks to the guys at EZA for keeping it together afterwards. Can't wait for the anniversary next month.

0JlduBm.gif

----------

New podcast is up.

dickroach

three and a half minutes into the podcast I've already noticed a handful of superfluous "like"s... I'm gonna be paying attention to that more than anything they actually say. damnit, Kyle

sora87

I just remembered this today... while time really flies, I also feel like I've seen EZA for much longer than a year, it is really amazing to see how these guys have evolved, and I'm glad I'm still here to see it.

Yeah feels like it's been a lot longer. Haven't forgotten waking up to that news and just feeling my stomach drop and churn. Probably sounds stupid but these guys have been my go to for years so thinking it was all over was like a best friend just getting taken away with the possibility of never seeing them again.

So happy it all worked out for the best and we're all here discussing Frame Trap and excited about the new podcast and Don's Discount Gaming. :D

Karu

Brad immediately tanking Anna because he thinks of Amy lol

The problem with Brandon's LBP > Mario Maker-argument is that LBP fundamentaly playes like garbage.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Taking a break from Nioh, just in time for the podcast.

God I'm so jealous..... Y_Y
-------------
Saw someone being very "disappointed" about the new TTE tweeting at Ben.
Just wanted to say I liked it very good vibes and it's cool to see how talented the community is. So don't let it get to you too much. Also you can maybe view it from the angle that he's just suuuuuuper invested in the story, which is the positive spin on it I guess.

Just wanted to leave that cause you guys mentioned that it's sometimes hard not to get caught up in the negative side of things despite a lot of positivity around it.

Bosman

GUILTY videogame man
To Mr. Kyle Bosman,

someone gifted me with two pre-order codes for NIOH. If you want to free yourself from your mortal coil, i'm going to give one of those to you.

I'm too scared to start Nioh; I really don't think I'd play it through. I'm starting to feel guilt for the games I haven't finished

I wonder how many/which of the allies are going Switch + Zelda on day 1. I'm really pumped to go on the content adventure alongside everyone

I wonder how many/which of the allies are going Switch + Zelda on day 1. I'm really pumped to go on the content adventure alongside everyone

Going off the Switch event stream, Ian and Jones aren't getting a Switch at launch. I think everybody else preordered one. Gotta imagine all that did will be getting Zelda.

Riposte

Email: "Resident Evil 7 utterly bombed in Japan, but did okay in the west. Should Capcom give up on Japan to focus on this style more popular in the west?"
Guy in the west: "I disagree with the Japanese gamers who didn't buy this game, this is a game Japanese people like"

diablogod

Email: "Resident Evil 7 utterly bombed in Japan, but did okay in the west. Should Capcom give up on Japan to focus on this style more popular in the west?"
Guy in the west: "I disagree with the Japanese gamers who didn't buy this game, this is a game Japanese people like"

I think Jones point about Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 was on point. The thing they didn't mention about it is the console market is shrinking rapidly in Japan which I'm guessing also played a role in the numbers. No console games seem to be doing particularly well over there lately.

Tabletop Note: Skrit is Kyle's character's real name, he took the name "Yogalla" because he saw it in his book but isn't quite sure what it means (part of a spell, a wizard's name, a place, who knows)

Mario007

I think Jones point about Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6 was on point. The thing they didn't mention about it is the console market is shrinking rapidly in Japan which I'm guessing also played a role in the numbers. No console games seem to be doing particularly well over there lately.
Ps4 is doing better than ps3 did at its time yet re7 did about 33% of the first week sales of re6. Simply RE7 did awful in Japan.

Pachinko

Good podcast this week , figures there would be a ton of L&R stuff the week I forget to submit a question 👴🏻

Ah well it's all in good fun. Gotta say I enjoyed having the prove it ticket turn sour at level 4, with any luck this might prevent people from power leveling it every week.

Karu

Prove it-discussion is ba--ba-boring. Just make someone who doesn't use it do something stupid at the end of the podcast.

Auctopus

Crazy to think its been a year since Gametrailers ended, thanks to the guys at EZA for keeping it together afterwards. Can't wait for the anniversary next month.

0JlduBm.gif

----------

New podcast is up.

What I remember most about that day (in hindsight) was Kyle streaming earlier in the day (I think it was G Force) and Brandon came in. Kyle asked how he was and he said something like "I've had better days" so they both knew but didn't say anything until the evening stream. Then, because of the time difference, I got a notification in bed at about 1am that just read "LAST EVER STREAM" - devastated.

But I also remember how low the views were for the majority of their content and thinking around December (no offence guys) how long it could last which makes me so happy to see how far EZA has come in such a short time. The team is so more relaxed and happy and the relationship between the team and the community is stronger than ever.

Brad immediately tanking Anna because he thinks of Amy lol

The problem with Brandon's LBP > Mario Maker-argument is that LBP fundamentaly playes like garbage.

The problem with your argument is a) You can change the way LBP plays and b) You're judging the default LBP physics against Mario when it never tries to be a Mario game, the physics work perfectly fine with the level design.

Way to get the email and answers both completely wrong. The email also pointed out that RE7 sold worse than RE6 in the west and asked two questions: Whether they should go back to the action style and whether they should abandon Japan. Brad then disagreed, saying it wasn't a very western game, which has nothing to do with sales or Japanese gamers liking it.

I think they were right. There are a couple of RE6 fans running around GAF in complete denial but RE6 definitely hurt the franchise a lot, RE7 was going to take that hit no matter what type of game it was. The impact of the RE7 genre shift won't be noticeable until RE8's launch, same as how RE4 set up RE5's huge sales.

As for the question of whether Capcom should abandon Japan with RE, uh, that happened a long, long time ago. The fact it came to Xbox is proof of that.

One aspect that Kyle only briefly touched on is the budget. I think it's a really smart move to scale the series back from where it was heading with RE6 and move in a different direction, one that still sells really well but avoids the constant and increasingly more expensive race to the top of the action genre, where everyone has to compete with the Uncharted's, Call of Duty's and so on. And for once, I think Capcom knows what they're doing, their RE7 projections were shockingly realistic.

Ps4 is doing better than ps3 did at its time yet re7 did about 33% of the first week sales of re6. Simply RE7 did awful in Japan.

The PS4 is doing better than the PS3 when launch aligned but none of the software seems to be showing it, including RE7, Yakuza 6 and FFXV.

Karu

The problem with your argument is a) You can change the way LBP plays and b) You're judging the default LBP physics against Mario when it never tries to be a Mario game, the physics work perfectly fine with the level design.
I don't argue that Little Big Planet's game design and controls are not cohesive. While garbage was obvious hyperbole, regardless of Mario, it is still not fun.

Hasney

Yeah, LBP has always been fun to look at from afar in a "Oh, people did that? Neat". Playing has always felt horrible, even before Mario maker came out.

MrMette

Yeah, LBP has always been fun to look at from afar in a "Oh, people did that? Neat". Playing has always felt horrible, even before Mario maker came out.

I always enjoyed LBP a lot (although the third one didn't click with me as the other 2 did and it's the only one I didn't finish the story of). That said, I do agree that the controls should be tighter and are bad compared to a lot of other platformers. Mario (although the 4player one on the Wii felt floaty as well imo) and especially the N-series have my favorite platformer controls.

The thing I find weird is that LBP gets a lot of flack for it's controls, but for a 3D game like TLG, the controls are not a problem for most people. Imo controls in a 3D platforming game are much more important as 3D doesn't work as well with platforming as 2D because of the camera. I get frustrated realy easily when I play platforming games with bad controls, but I have much less trouble with the LBP controls than with the TLG platforming controls and at least you can get used to the floaty jump in LBP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom