• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

muteki

I will probably pick up puyo puyo tetris solely because of watching kyle play.

I have my original Gameboy and GB Tetris cart but my gameboy died on my a couple years ago :(

openrob

They have to (and I mean HAVE to) at the start of the concert/show, the very first thing, is play Rufus over the mic and have the whole crowd chant love and respect together.
Bosman, HylianScribe, Grayfox431, Bloodworth and Co. please make this happen haha

:)

Budi

I'm honestly having a hard time understanding how you would physically be able to watch Frame Trap when the camera is so severely tilted.

You must hate Terry Gilliam films!

Screen+shot+2012-04-26+at+4.54.16+PM.png

MrMette

Well I still listen I just open another tab and do some browsing because looking at an unbalanced shot like that drives me nuts.

As long as you enjoy the content that way, I don't think there is anything wrong with it either. I sometimes listen to the podcasts while doing something else as well. Although I usually have the image either on the TV next to me or at work in a small pop-out window of Opera (which is very handy, their Youtube pop-out window, I wish that all browsers have this feature).

Not kinda weak. Complete bs. As a patron I didn't ask for some in concert show that has nothing to do with video games. I hope no money from their from patreon is going to this.

Now I'm ashamed to see your name scrolled past in the friends list constantly in Huber's streams. Shame. Shame. :p

Axass

The stuff about Damiani is ridiculous. He gave 7.8 to Wind Waker. He's definitely not biased and can quite clearly judge something while being a fan of it.

As Michael said, criticism should be welcome, as long as there's some substance to it.

Yeah, 1 year anniversary, and for 99% of their patrons, nothing is happening.

Kinda weak. Ohh well.

Yes.

The problems with the anniversary are quite a few. EZA said many times they want to market/promote themselves better, to try and reach a bigger audience. So that they can actually get to the studio goal sooner than later. Yet, not only they don't do a long and eventful stream, with many different things happening, to attract new fans and expand, they don't even do anything for their regular fans who have already been supporting them for a year. They decided to do a thing for just the handful of people who will have the time and money to be there (because 100-300 people is still peanuts, even compared to just the 6.000 patrons from around the world, let alone the 94.000 Youtube subscribers).

That's a huge wasted opportunity and it makes part of those who can't go feel bad.

- A few guys said streaming the event could be difficult: that would be understandable, but that's not what Brandon said IIRC, he just openly stated he wants people who go there to feel special.

- Does anyone going really care about the exclusivity part of it? Are people going there thinking: "wow, I'm so happy others won't experience this!" I didn't hear one person who's going, here, in chat or on the EZA forums who rejoices about it not being streamed. As I've said in a previous post, it's the "console exclusive DLC" thing, only for crowdfunding: nobody buying Watch_Dogs on PS4 is going to feel good that Xbox One guys won't be able to play that stupid console-exclusive DLC. So my question is: who is Brandon making happy having the event exclusive? Almost nobody; yet he's making several people unhappy.

- Others said it's trivial, it's just an anniversary event after all. If it's trivial might as well do nothing for the day. Besides it's not trivial, it's a wasted opportunity for publicity.

- People say "it's going to be recorded", but Brandon quite clearly implied only parts of it will and that it may eventually get online, but he didn't say when and he wasn't entirely sure about it. So we may very well never see it at all, or just a miniscule part of it.

- Brandon hyped up the anniversary for a long time, so I guess I wasn't alone in being disappointed when I learnt it was something I couldn't possibly be part of, even if I wanted.

- Final point is: aren't they going to do a separate anniversary stream? Because not once any of them mentioned anything like it. That could at least salvage the whole no streaming decision. Yet, still no announcement on that front. Are they really leaving 99% of their fans without anything celebrating the anniversary?

Sorry if I wrote a lenghty post but I honestly think this is the worst decision they've taken ever since Bosman decided he wouldn't do a show for EZA (nonetheless I respect his decision, just saying that business-wise it was BAAAD and the fans were unhappy).

That said I still love the Allies, I won't pull my pledge or anything drastic like that: I'll keep supporting them as long as I can. I'm just unhappy about the situation.

Budi

Oh yeah, just remembered this earlier from this thread "their whole business revolves around streaming, they stream multiple times a week, and have suggested parts of the event might be live streamed anyways. they are live streamers, celebrating a year of live streaming by having an event that isnt live streamed. okthen.jpg "

Big no to this, they aren't mainly streamers. Their streams usually have just few hundred viewers, except for press events and other more special stuff. When uploaded to Youtube, many of those don't break 1k views either. There are stuff around 5k and tournaments / press events can double that. It's the podcasts and other more produced content, especially reviews what is their main draw. They stream because it's easy and they can do it invidually. But people don't become Patreon supporters so they could stream, they could do that without it. Very dishonest twist to get pissy about the anniversary event.

Edit: I would love to see them celebrate their anniversary too, but honestly I'd rather take clips from this "Easy Allies in a Concert" than just a long group stream. It's their achievement afterall, let them celebrate in a way they want to. EZA is special to us, but let's try to remember how special this year has been to them. Let them have fun too.

Naythan

I like that Damiani is somehow the author of possibly the most controversial/memed score in GT/EZA history for a Zelda game (the 7.8) and is too much of a "fanboy" to give an objective review in some peoples eyes.

Some of y'all are too much.

Visceir

It does feel like the whole anniversary debacle is something that could have been avoided with the right messaging and wording.

They're usually on point when it comes to noticing and delivering criticism on game announcements and marketing messaging. I guess it's harder to notice such things when it's a personal project and something you're a part of.

Already 70k views on the Horizon review on YouTube. That's so awesome.

Getting reviews out on time has a huge impact on viewership and exposure, but I'm sure EZA is already well aware of that.

Axass

It does feel like the whole anniversary debacle is something that could have been avoided with the right messaging and wording.

They're usually on point when it comes to noticing and delivering criticism on game announcements and marketing messaging. I guess it's harder to notice such things when it's a personal project and something you're a part of.

Getting reviews out on time has a huge impact on viewership and exposure, but I'm sure EZA is already well aware of that.

Agreed 100%.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe someone from EZA should talk about the ins and outs and why they came to the decision to not stream it. I feel like people overlook possible reasons too easily.

I can easily see them not streaming it because someone might want to edit it for better presentation in case they can't have someone live operate the cameras cause everyone is busy with being part of the show. So their decision might be based on wanting to deliver a better viewing experience than just putting a camera there and call it a day. In that vein that is also a valid reason to not stream it because a bad stream can easily have the opposite effect. But who knows all speculation.

I feel like the criticism that the event is all in all somewhat exclusionary just by geographical realities and that there's nothing for people on that day is somewhat fair. I personally don't really feel that way. But ok I can see why people would feel that way and I think that's at least something worth discussing in a way. Even if no solutions exist for that I think a statement/discussion so everyone understands each other a little better could help?

Ugh, some of this review talk bummed me out.

Praising or hating a review based on the score they gave it is doing it 100% doing it wrong. Reviews are subjective and all the Allies (like us) are unique and have different aspects of things that they enjoy or do not. All I ask is that the reviews are well-written (they all have been) and not half-assed (certainly hasn't happened yet) and they communicate what did or didn't work for them. Then, we can personally draw our own conclusions from that. Just because a score deviates from the mean of other reviews is certainly not a bad thing. It would only be bad if the review were obviously click-baity or if the review were compromised. Personally, i've loved some "7's" and some "10's" didn't work for me. It's neat we aren't all mindless drones walking lockstep on everything.

A smart thing to do is find a reviewer (in EZA or not) that you largely share many similiarities to, and follow their thoughts to see if something is likely to work for you. However, it's also important to constantly be branching out to be exposed to new types of things. That's part of why EZA works so well for me, all of them bring different personalities and perspectives on things where it's not one big "groupthink" going on.

Visceir

Maybe someone from EZA should talk about the ins and outs and why they came to the decision to not stream it. I feel like people overlook possible reasons too easily.

Imagine doing an event for the first time and not knowing how it will turn out or if even people will show up. Now imagine how much extra pressure it would add if you had already promised to stream said event...not to mention the headache, extra work and costs a proper streaming setup for the venue would add.

Recording the show and putting out a well edited video is absolutely the right way to go about this.

I think there's also a huge amount of curiosity regarding Horizon. The preview did pretty big numbers as well and usually a preview like that without any particular hook or reveal doesn't usually stand out.

I'm not personally that involved in the event production, partly since I've been out of town so long, but Brandon and Ian are the leads. What I can say from my live production experience is that streaming would call for a huge increase in the amount of resources needed. You'd need a whole separate crew to make sure a/v is all good, and possibly drop in a high speed connection just for that night depending on the venue. Not that it's impossible of course but it's not a minor thing to consider when you're dealing with an outside venue.

I personally would like to do more that week but it will be easier to figure out after I get back to LA.

Chuck

Still without luck
Ugh, some of this review talk bummed me out.

Praising or hating a review based on the score they gave it is doing it 100% doing it wrong. Reviews are subjective and all the Allies (like us) are unique and have different aspects of things that they enjoy or do not. All I ask is that the reviews are well-written (they all have been) and not half-assed (certainly hasn't happened yet) and they communicate what did or didn't work for them. Then, we can personally draw our own conclusions from that. Just because a score deviates from the mean of other reviews is certainly not a bad thing. It would only be bad if the review were obviously click-baity or if the review were compromised. Personally, i've loved some "7's" and some "10's" didn't work for me. It's neat we aren't all mindless drones walking lockstep on everything.

A smart thing to do is find a reviewer (in EZA or not) that you largely share many similiarities to, and follow their thoughts to see if something is likely to work for you. However, it's also important to constantly be branching out to be exposed to new types of things. That's part of why EZA works so well for me, all of them bring different personalities and perspectives on things where it's not one big "groupthink" going on.

All correctness up here 👍

I agree with what Blood is basically saying...the logistics of coordinating a live stream of the "concert" is one hell of a task and I think it would seriously detract from whatever the heck it is they have planned for the live audience. I'd hope some of it is taped, and there's highlights or something later.

But I really think they're potentially (not sure if they've said anything one way or the other) missing a major "advertising" event by not having a stream sometime that weekish to celebrate their anniversary. Just play some of the best stream games and reminisce about all the hilarity and highlights we've had in the past year. Maybe the community or EZA could create a highlight video or something. It doesn't need to be a "big whoop" or anything, just would be nice to do something to celebrate the major achievement.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I'm honestly having a hard time understanding how you would physically be able to watch Frame Trap when the camera is so severely tilted.

The camera isn't shaking. You're not watching a Bourne movie. Like, I kind of get not liking the camera angel but you seem to be speaking in hyperbole and I don't think "I can't physically watch the show" would be taken very seriously.

An hour video for two downloadable packs...Insane.
Can't get spoiler casts or just played vids for big games..And if we do it's talking heads, but get a fully produced video for this nonsense...What a waste of resource.

Ray Down

Banned
Can't get spoiler casts or just played vids for big games..And if we do it's talking heads, but get a fully produced video for this nonsense...What a waste of resource.

Yeah I don;t see why the video is 50 minutes, lol.

ZeoVGM

Banned

How is this even remotely constructive?

It's basically "I don't care about the topic so it's nonsense and a waste of resources."

You're not going to be interested in every video they do. I'm excited to watch it later.

This thread seems to be the opposite of L&R lately.

Visceir

But I really think they're potentially (not sure if they've said anything one way or the other) missing a major "advertising" event by not having a stream sometime that weekish to celebrate their anniversary. Just play some of the best stream games and reminisce about all the hilarity and highlights we've had in the past year. Maybe the community or EZA could create a highlight video or something. It doesn't need to be a "big whoop" or anything, just would be nice to do something to celebrate the major achievement.

Allies Assemble! Part II

Another cheeky fun promo video in the vein of the first one that would illustrate where they've gotten and where they're heading (HQ hunting!).

Along with a media blitz tour around other sites about the 1 year patreon success story...and a 12h stream with a 50k goal!

/dreams

Dineren

Banned
I'm only six minutes in so far and insanely curious how they manage to talk about the Zelda expansion pass for another 44 minutes, but I have to say I really like how this video is presented. Nice job whoever edited this footage in.

How is this even remotely constructive?

It's basically "I don't care about the topic so it's nonsense and a waste of resources."

You're not going to be interested in every video they do. I'm excited to watch it later.

This thread seems to be the opposite of L&R lately.
Yeah, let's switch gears. The fanart episode of Tabletop Escapades inspired me to mess around with some pixels. The show is one of my favourite pieces of entertainment I look forward every week, so I figured I'd show it.
kCJgdw9.png

The Expansion Pass video was plenty interesting, and pretty much echoed how I felt about the whole thing. I didn't think the discussion dragged, so I didn't mind the length.

slash3584

Yeah, let's switch gears. The fanart episode of Tabletop Escapades inspired me to mess around with some pixels. The show is one of my favourite pieces of entertainment I look forward every week, so I figured I'd show it.
kCJgdw9.png

The Expansion Pass video was plenty interesting, and pretty much echoed how I felt about the whole thing. I didn't think the discussion dragged, so I didn't mind the length.

That's amazing!

kCJgdw9.png

Gorgeous art, cheers

Be sure to tweet it to them if you haven't. They read this thread but they're more likely to see it on there

Mista Koo

Oh yeah, just remembered this earlier from this thread "their whole business revolves around streaming, they stream multiple times a week, and have suggested parts of the event might be live streamed anyways. they are live streamers, celebrating a year of live streaming by having an event that isnt live streamed. okthen.jpg "

Big no to this, they aren't mainly streamers. Their streams usually have just few hundred viewers, except for press events and other more special stuff. When uploaded to Youtube, many of those don't break 1k views either. There are stuff around 5k and tournaments / press events can double that. It's the podcasts and other more produced content, especially reviews what is their main draw. They stream because it's easy and they can do it invidually. But people don't become Patreon supporters so they could stream, they could do that without it. Very dishonest twist to get pissy about the anniversary event.
Maybe mainly isn't the word, but streaming is one of their biggest things. Heck the top 9 videos on their channel are their first two videos and 7 videos taken from their Twitch (Yes press events streams, still count as streams or reactions if you will).

Also I became a patron to vote on group streams ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More content from EZA is good stuff

I will not watch everything but more from them is good. This thread is not L&R lately.

It's not that more content isn't good. It's great. In fact, it's fantastic. I'm all for it, even if it's not for me.

But Game Sleuth is a show that's presented on the Patreon as a goal and they're way past that goal, even since the first week. So far, we only got two episodes in one year. It's understandable when people are not exactly happy about that and it's not necessarily a lack of love and/or respect.

It would help if the production process was communicated a bit better. It's not necessary to spoil the entire thing right away, but make people understand why it's taking so incredibly long to get it out in a somewhat frequent manner.

At the behest of once again sounding like the online personality defense force:

Criticism is fine but keep in mind while EZA has a sizeable reach the active community is still fairly small. If you write something online (especially in an official space) there's a likely chance they'll read it. Calling something someone wanted to make a waste of time is shitty and is the sort of thing that makes someone not even want to bother

Budi

I'm only six minutes in so far and insanely curious how they manage to talk about the Zelda expansion pass for another 44 minutes, but I have to say I really like how this video is presented. Nice job whoever edited this footage in.

Yup only started myself, I like the new format too. Glad to see something different.

Budi

Maybe mainly isn't the word, but streaming is one of their biggest things. Heck the top 9 videos on their channel are their first two videos and 7 videos taken from their Twitch (Yes press events streams, still count as streams or reactions if you will).

Also I became a patron to vote on group streams ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well yeah I mentioned those press events. But how often there are big game press events? The daily streams are nothing compared to podcasts, reviews or even D&D. And interesting that you became a patron to vote, I became a patron to support Eza ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Ultimadrago

love and respect. as long as you agree with us.

Yeah, I'm going to disagree with this set of thinking. I find talking about the legitimacy of review choices is a good thing. Love & Respect to me doesn't mean gobbling every review and choice coming from the group without question. That said flame-baiting Allies isn't what it's about either. I think there's a sensible balance to be found there (leaving any harmful dialogue or intentions out, of course). And for the "Constructive Criticism", while I technically would agree that this is always the best way to go about things, I have a feeling that anything of that nature would be twisted against the person debating anyways. A Catch 22 of "Leave EZA Alone" agenda, if you will.

In better news, I like that more discussion is being had on the potential of the BotW Expansion Pass. I'll be watching it shortly.

cm osi

I'm wasting a precious few mins now during transferring some files to speak up here, which I really feel I shouldn't need to do but this crap keeps coming up and I'm getting tired of just blatant lies being said. You can give us constructive criticism and feedback all day long, we welcome it. But when you say "I don't trust Damiani with this review", you might as well just come out and say "I don't want Damiani at EZA". That's pretty much what you're saying. And quite frankly, that's the most not-L&R type thing you can say to any of us.

And because of a Star Fox Zero review?

I've been reviewing games for 15 years. I've had some of the best mentors who challenged me to go further and put more thought than ever into my analysis of games. I've been exposed to such a wide variety of games and reviewed them all in as fair of a manner as I can possibly imagine. I don't go nuts at press events, I refuse free shit almost always (the "almost" is only when they want us to have stuff to give away to fans/viewers as giveaway stuff, and even then I usually refuse those items), I don't get overly emotional on the outside in reaction to stuff during conferences because I trained myself to act in a professional manner. I was even worried at GT I was maybe being too generous to games overall one time and did an audit of my scores vs GameRankings/Metacritic averages and found out I am actually one of the harsher reviewers out there.

So when you question my professionalism on a whim and make wild accusations, I expect something better than the selective crap you pulled out of a hat.

i was gonna say that i'd trust your rewiew on zelda even more because you care so much for the game but i didn't post it. guess i should have done that

ZeoVGM

Banned
Have the guys mentioned if the anniversary event will at least be partly filmed to edit together into a video later?

I don't think it needs to be live streamed and it seems unfair to get upset that it isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom