• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karu

When Damiani busted out the N64 my first thought was "that cant be right. The console was waaaay bigger... Right?" And then Kyle mentioned it also. Man it is like 12 years since I ve Seen one in person.

Bahorel

I'm sure this game has been played to death already, but if the nine members of EZA were the nine members of The Fellowship of the Ring, which one would be which.

For me:

Bloodworth: Gandalf
Jones: Aragorn
Don: Boromir
Damiani: Gimli
Ian: Legolas
Ben: Frodo
Brad: Sam
Huber: Merry
Bosman: Pippin

My list is almost identical except I like Brad and Huber as Merry and Pippin because they're bff.

Edit: just saw someone else had the same list so yea Bosman as frodo and Ben as Sam and we're good.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I'm sure this game has been played to death already, but if the nine members of EZA were the nine members of The Fellowship of the Ring, which one would be which.

For me:

Bloodworth: Gandalf
Jones: Aragorn
Don: Boromir
Damiani: Gimli
Ian: Legolas
Ben: Frodo
Brad: Sam
Huber: Merry
Bosman: Pippin

The Slusser Cup: The One Ring

Jamie OD

When Damiani busted out the N64 my first thought was "that cant be right. The console was waaaay bigger... Right?" And then Kyle mentioned it also. Man it is like 12 years since I ve Seen one in person.

When I bought mine from a retro shop a couple years back I was surprised at how compact it looked compared to my other consoles from various generations. I wonder how a mini version with the cartridge function still in it would look like. You can definitely shrink the size of it with some remodelling.

Vinc

I really hope they do a P5 Spoiler Mode soon. Just listening to their impressions on Frame Trap was a delight.

A Kyle and Brandon show similar to what they did with Pokemon would have been too perfect for this world.

I know Kyle stopped playing because he didn't like the protagonist, but I'm actually pretty much fully convinced that he would come around on him in a big way as that happens so much with these games, and that would have been an interesting thing to see week to week.

LiK

A Kyle and Brandon show similar to what they did with Pokemon would have been too perfect for this world.

I know Kyle stopped playing because he didn't like the protagonist, but I'm actually pretty much fully convinced that he would come around on him in a big way as that happens so much with these games, and that would have been an interesting thing to see week to week.

The MC? He's like a blank slate. I guess Kyle doesn't like himself?

abrack08

He said the MC was too cool. You're just a dude who barely says or reacts to anything and everybody just thinks you're the coolest anyways. I love Persona and I think it's a silly reason to stop playing, but I don't think he's wrong.

LiK

He said the MC was too cool. You're just a dude who barely says or reacts to anything and everybody just thinks you're the coolest anyways. I love Persona and I think it's a silly reason to stop playing, but I don't think he's wrong.

Does he like Zelda: BotW? ;)

But in all seriousness, the MC in P5 has much more personality than the one in P4. He has some really sassy responses if you choose to be that type of guy.

Nah, you absolutely cannot play yourself in Persona. Link is a far better blank slate/silent character in BotW than the P5 MC.

You can pretty much play Link as a dick/jerk the entire time but there are plenty of conversations in Persona 5 which basically give you 2-3 different ways to say the same nice thing.

Some of the better responses that I wished were in the main game are actually hidden in some confidants (Mishima).

LiK

Nah, you absolutely cannot play yourself in Persona. Link is a far better blank slate/silent character in BotW than the P5 MC.

You can pretty much play Link as a dick/jerk the entire time but there are plenty of conversations in Persona 5 which basically give you 2-3 different ways to say the same nice thing.

Some of the better responses that I wished were in the main game are actually hidden in some confidants (Mishima).

True, I do like that in one SLink, I got to tell some asshole to "Shut your mouth!". That got him good.

muteki

I really hope they do a P5 Spoiler Mode soon. Just listening to their impressions on Frame Trap was a delight.
I'd really like to see this too, even though I'm barely halfway through @ 60 hours now.

I don't listen/watch a lot of gaming-related shows but the ones I do listen to other than EZA either don't mention Persona 5 at all (either due to spoiler reasons or no one is playing it) or if it is discussed it is the usual topics/complaints that people tend to have and I have heard already many times over. Discussions more in-depth with players that have played past the first dungeon would be great, though I guess that comes in time.

Vinc

I don't think he's a full-on blank slate. Kyle's problem with him is that he's "too cool". His demeanor certainly suggests that at first glance, and the opening of the game shows a bit of a cocky side to him. There's also the fact that if you do well in the game, people tend to react extremely positively to him at times.

The thing is... I feel like that's a perception that can very much purposefully fall apart and change later in the game. And seeing the characters progress, including finding out about MC's background throughout the game, really brings context to him. I get that he didn't like the vibe of the game, but hopefully he gives it another shot at some point. I really think that perception change is part of the fun of these games.

In any case, Persona 5 is assuredly one of my favorite games of all time at this point.

Ultimadrago

When Ian says "Games with Gold is a bad segment.", I'm assuming he's talking about the actual segment?

If so, he's right on the money. Sorry Kyle, not even going through the list really fast makes that piece any better.

Edit: Just to top off, good final word from Brandon Jones! I'm with him and Ben on the issue of Detective Mode.

When Ian says "Games with Gold is a bad segment.", I'm assuming he's talking about the actual segment?

If so, he's right on the money. Sorry Kyle, not even going through the list really fast makes that piece any better.

I love that Kyle obviously dropped the segment last month just to avoid controversy before immediately bringing it back :p

luchadork

its hard to tell because the segment actually is pretty shit. total filler. reminds me a bit of PSiloveyouxoxo where theyd just read off the news in bullet point form. like, dude, i spend every second of my life on the internet. i dont need you to read me a list of things.

Auctopus

Playstation Plus vs. Games with Gold just boils down to flame warring to me. I don't think the Allies are trying to flame war but it certainly incites them. Sometimes it feels like they just go "Well, I've played that game so that wins this month."

Hasney

Is everyone enjoying the bets at the end of the podcast? I find them rather uninteresting without any stakes.

There are stakes. Winners are at the end of the year and you get rights and responsibilities for personal wins at the end of the podcast. I've been following the podcast since the first GT Time and have never tired of bets.

LiK

Maybe it's just me but I feel l feel like Kyle likes to insert podcast half-time at the worst times. He does it usually during some very good discussions and completely breaks the flow. It actually made me start to hate the sponsors even tho it's not their fault, lol. I just skip it as soon as I hear the music now.

Is everyone enjoying the bets at the end of the podcast? I find them rather uninteresting without any stakes.

I don't find it interesting so I skip it. It's cute once in a while but not as a weekly thing.

Mista Koo

I liked the GWG vs. PSP music, that's about it. At least the previous format was almost informative sometimes?

I kinda like them. However I don't like how the game is designed in the first place. After hearing how it worked in GT it made sense for that format (4 teams, 1 rotating seat). But it just doesn't make sense to have the permanent members go against the rotating seats. Especially since the winner isn't even staying for the next episode, a teammate will always get his reward.
If they watched a British panel show once they would know to put the permanent members on opposite teams. That way the prize always includes the person who only appears once a week, and frankly Kyle and Jones get enough of a chance to say whatever they want. Also I would change the whole rights and responsibilities shtick. I would give the last word a more flashy game showy name, the team as a whole promotes a video, and only the rotating seat gets to do their sign off.

Visceir

I just wish the bets themselves would be more interesting, right now it feels like there are just 3 different bet types in rotation and they're all somewhat boring. The rotating guests seem to also have just feigned interest in the betting. Guess it's sort of hard to care if you place a bet but aren't there the next week to see the results.

Playstation Plus vs. Games with Gold segment is definitely filler tier.

I also think the podcast suffers under them usually recording it so late, at times cast members being just straight up exhausted. For it being their "premium product" they should maybe prioritize recording it a little bit more.

muteki

I enjoy the bets, especially when it involves playing a game an unusual way (like the recent mario kart one) since those are so unpredictable.

I do think the threshold for how much ahead one team is before they mix it up/don by law is too high. Needs to be 5 or less points ahead not 10+. Needs more rubber banding, or give the purple platypi a blue shell.

Ultimadrago

I don't necessarily enjoy most of them, but I don't mind them. I'm with you in most of the stakes being uninteresting, but it's the type of filler I don't mind seeing.

Red Eagles are tyrants though. Tyrants!

farisr

I love em, also having final word go to the winner makes for some interest moments every once in a while as well, so they're worth it for that alone imo.

ShadyK54

Podcast bets are dumb, fun, & not serious (I just can't believe how many times those darn red eagles win).

GWG vs. PS+ is/was a filler segment I feel, but I didn't mind it at all. That's how I feel on those subjects.

Off topic, but I finally caved in & increased my backlog by buying Yakuza 0 on Amazon, & it should be here by Thursday. Hope it lives up to this enormous hype.

Love the bets. I wish the Purple Platypi would up their game though. Maybe if they could coordinate? It's strange how good Jones is, since he was always terrible at bets at GT.
To me the solution, which might be harder to coordinate, is to split the eight Allies who do podcast into two teams, Jones is captain of say, Huber, Ben, and Damiani, while Kyle is captain of Bloodworth, Brad, and Ian. And then the two guest spots are always taken by a member of each team.

I love the bets. Out of all the different types I've seen so far, when Allies have to predict something regarding how long something will take in a game is most entertaining. Like the MK8 or For Honor one.

arkon

I generally like the bets with some being more interesting than others. And obviously there was that whole thing with Styx which was great fun. Recently I've enjoyed listening to them mangle the platypus' cry as well.

Upping the stakes should make them more interesting for others. Maybe have it lead to more streaming content like the Settle it stream. Having said that I'm still waiting on the Ben Titanfall costume. I really just want him to cut open a few carboard boxes and "wear" that for the entire Gundam stream. The poorer it's made the better.

Vinc

Watching Friend Code, I just have to mention how freaking cool it is that Damiani kept all that stuff in pristine condition for so long, even despite moving and everything. It's really awesome. Maybe he'll start a gaming museum one day! :p

I also feel like every episode was dramatically better than the last. You can tell Damiani is getting more comfortable as a host and it's awesome to see.

luchadork

Yup. Friend Code is seriously fucking awesome. Those 3 have perfect chemistry. I can't wait to hear their hottakes on E3. Damiani is a beast with the nintendo lore. Love it.

WarRock

Dude, Friend Code is so jolly. Thank you Damiani, it was a blast of an hour.

Shout outs to Bloodworth origin story and nobody mentioning that Ultra64 was also called Ura64 (something I discovered only during the PS3 era, when I found and bought some magazines from like '92 and read its previews).

LycanXIII

I enjoy bets but believe that the "seasons" need to be shorter, or have a mercy rule. I know they have the Don rule, but he didn't win any the last time iirc. Like Ian suggested in the last one, I think Kyle vs Brandon vs 2 Guests would be the best.

Mario007

Thinking about EZA this year and I have come to a realisation that I have already pretty much checked out of the EZA train. Which is a shame as I was a huge fan of their at GT, not a day would go by without me checking out their videos or going back to see their older posts. Whereas now, I let Frametrap slide all the way to Friday to finally start listening to it and the only reason why I did it was because I had a commute ahead. Same can be said about the EZA Podcasts or other shows. I haven't watched a Huber Syndrome in months, for example. The only shows which I do make an effort to check out are Tabletop and Fiasconauts.

I think the main reason why I don't feel as strongly about EZA as I did about GT is their focus on personalities over actual gaming journalism and professional views. Overall, the professionalism that I thought was there during the GT days is gone. The mention of podcasts on this page (ie shooting them late at night while the podcast being the premium content) is just one example of this. Sure, the excuse is, when they'll have studio it'll be different. But honestly, I don''t really see that as much of an excuse when they're getting 43 000 per month from people's money. It should definitely be possible to meet up 2-3 times a week to do a number of shoots.

Their personalities, which seemed interesting, while subtle, at GT days are now getting on my nerves as well. Case in point Ian blatantly making stuff about Zelda and Horizon to prop the game that he likes against the game he doesn't like. I never followed GT during the Damiani days so his personality was brand new to me and I grew to dislike it almost immediately following the "the only good games at E3 each year are Nintendo games" podcast. His utter unwillingness to talk about games that are not Nintendo is ludicrous and one has to wonder why he is invited to things like Frame Trap when he'll sit there for hours, speaking only one or two words. Huber is also quickly becoming a one-note character who seems like a really cool dude to hang out with but not so much to listen to about games and about how Rainbow Six Siege is f2p/was shit/is improved.

On top of that the content that EZA produces leads me to believe they'll be going further and further away from where I would like them to be. The Anime and Film podcasts are something I have absolutely no interest in as I wouldn't consider EZA members to be experts in those fields at all. At some point it gets to a point, where I'm listening listening to opinions of random people about films and anime as opposed to games, where they have worked in the industry and have some knowledge about it.
Further, the Nintendo focus is also super uniteresting to me. Like I said, I didn't experience GT with Damiani, so I'm not sure if he was pushing for Nintendo content on GT as much as well but it simply isn't for me. I can't fault the guy, as he definitely puts in the work to have an hour-long show out every week, but seeing so many Zelda videos and Nintendo podcasts on top of all the Nintendo discussion at the EZA podcasts seems like overkill. This is also happening when the promised Game Sleuths are taking 6 months or more to make. Again, it seems like focus is on where Damiani finds his hobby to be and that's fine, if GS wasn't a promised and paid feature (this goes back to lack of professionalism again).
So overall, the content simply isn't there for me to be interested enough abut EZA. And it's definitely not evolving the way I thought it would when I started giving them money. Shows like Brandon Plays are one-and-done deal (which deal with interesting dicussion of franchises from a newcomers perspective) while movie podcasts, anime podcasts and zelda talks are taking the charge. Overall, it seems as EZA is simply an enthusiast channel and that is not what I liked about GT at all. I'ts much more self-indulgent than professional (just looking at the anniversary celebration to prove my point here).

To be fair they seem to be also quite bad at taking suggestions from the fanbase as well, when shows that many fans are requesting are given excuses as to why they are not happening (trailer score, top 10s, brand plays, kyle's show).

So I guess in the end I'll definitely be checking them out once in a while, if only to fill in the commute time with the podcasts (which by the way is 50% fan questions, which is ridiculous) but all the passion about them is gone. Which is a shame, since just in Janaury I watched 8 hours of EZA content in a day and felt super great about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom