• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Skrein (Daario 1.0) quits the Hellboy reboot in the name of equal representation

New002

Lots of respect for Mr. Skrein for doing this. Walking the walk so to speak isn't always easy. Hopefully an actor of mixed Asian heritage is cast and this story gets a positive ending.

Damn, dude just gained a TON of respect in my book. If only other actors would give as much of a shit, especially the big ones who actually have the clout to help change things

kai3345

Banned
good on the dude for doing this but damn this guy has had the worst luck with casting. first he gets fired from game of thrones and now this

Raguel

Mad props to Skrein. Takes a lot of balls to stand up for this especially since it's probably a good paying gig.

Great move on his part. And now he subtly put the ball in the studio's court to recast it properly. If they don't at this point they'll get dragged endlessly.

Hastati

that's really cool. they should definitely make an effort to cast a hapa individual now, there's lots of us out there and not a hell of a lot that get decent roles as is evident here.

genuinely very happy that he did this, great statement.

Anung

Un Rama
As I said in the other thread what a class act. This kind of change was probably always going to have to come from the actors themselves.

I'd be genuinely shocked if they cast a white guy now.

Anung

Un Rama
An actor of his level (I'm trying to not make that sound insulting) turning down a good payday like this just makes all the other A-listers who didn't look like assholes.

Cool shit.

I applaud this move, especially considering the guy is not a household name, nor does he command $10mil a movie. He's a working actor who got breaks on GOT and Deadpool.

C'mon, Hollywood, hire this guy for roles! Dude would make a fantastic Terminator, has the jawline for it.

An actor of his level (I'm trying to not make that sound insulting) turning down a good payday like this just makes all the other A-listers who didn't look like assholes.

Cool shit.

Calling Emma "I make millions but still have to steal jobs from Asians" Stone.

SeanC

That's really where it needs to start. Producers and the like don't give a shit, the actors need to take the stand.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
You're doing amazing, sweetie.

I'm really concerned that the production of this movie was dumb enough to get themselves into this mess to begin with. Ghost in the Shell just came out...

Dynomutt

I'll play devils advocate. It was smart to quit to get ahead of the controversy. He's a decent actor so I'not h like to think more roles will come his way. I probably would not have quit especially if the money was right and the role was earned. I put the onus on the studio.

They know what they're doing they just don't care. Ghost in the Shell made this clear when despite the controversy they made the Major an Asian woman in a white woman shell which just aggravated the issue further.

Ultimately good on him. I understand what he did and why he did it. Now we wait and see if it has an impact.

Top Bottom