• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ed Skrein (Daario 1.0) quits the Hellboy reboot in the name of equal representation

Admirable. It'll be interesting to see how the studio recasts the role. Him pulling this move basically forces them to cast an Asian actor or it'd be doubly bad.

From Variety:

“Ed came to us and felt very strongly about this. We fully support his unselfish decision,” Lionsgate, the studio behind the reboot, said in a statement. “It was not our intent to be insensitive to issues of authenticity and ethnicity, and we will look to recast the part with an actor more consistent with the character in the source material.”

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Good work! Given that he isn't even a medium name, it must be risky to turn down roles of this size. For big name actors it would be easy to make this decision, not so here.

This is good. It sets a precedent.
Even if Hollywood execs try to ignore it (and they will), this example will keep being brought up now. It's a small step but hey, props to him. I've talked shit about him as an actor before but I legit hope he gets some good roles after this.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'll play devils advocate. It was smart to quit to get ahead of the controversy. He's a decent actor so I'not h like to think more roles will come his way. I probably would have quit especially if the money was right and the roles was earned. I put the onus on the studio.

They know what they're doing they just don't care. Ghost in the Shell made this clear when despite the controversy they made the Major an Asian woman in a white woman shell which just aggravated the issue further.

Ultimately good on him. I understand what he did and why he did it.Now we wait and see if it has an impact.
Yeah I can't knock him one way or the other. He did something above and beyond, taking the role in the first place? No great sin. That's just work.

How do you not know what role your taking. Someone at some level has to do research, his agent, the studio, casting, the actor, etc.

Zoe

I wonder if Daniel Dae Kim would be a good fit

Ideally it should be someone half.

I don't know enough of the character beyond that though.

How do you not know what role your taking. Someone at some level has to do research, his agent, the studio, casting, the actor, etc.

It's pretty common for actors to go into roles without looking at the source material. It can taint their approach if the role is taken in a different direction.

That was nice of him. I can only assume that he hadn't known the character he was playing was Asian in the comic books if he's willing to give up the job so quickly.

trejo

Mad props to this guy. It takes balls to turn down a paycheck in order to do the right thing.

Hell, he wasn't even that bad on Deadpool.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Why would he be black balled for this?

Studio cast him and fucked up. Most likely they talked about it before Skrein announced it and agreed this was the best way to save face. Skrein leaves while smelling like roses from a role that was doomed and the studio can basically take a mulligan. Turns a negative press issue to a positive one for both the actor and studio.

Best outcome for both the studio and actor.

smisk

Bravo, this is incredible. Talk about putting his money where his mouth is. Hopefully this will lead to good publicity and he'll get cast in something else.

Scuffed

Good. This has been getting ridiculous. Dr. Strange(the ancient one), Ghost in the Shell, Death Note both L and Light, all of them needlessly refuse to us Asians in the roles when it really shouldn't be that hard. I mean is it that hard?

Good. This has been getting ridiculous. Dr. Strange(the ancient one), Ghost in the Shell, Death Note both L and Light, all of them needlessly refuse to us Asians in the roles when it really shouldn't be that hard. I mean is it that hard?
There was actually a semi-logical reason for the ancient one (they couldn't cast a tibetian actress because China would have been mad, and Marvel was like "we're going to anger a group of people anyway, so...." and cast Swinton, who ended up being awesome)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
There was actually a semi-logical reason for the ancient one (they couldn't cast a tibetian actress because China would have been mad, and Marvel was like "we're going to anger a group of people anyway, so...." and cast Swinton, who ended up being awesome)

And for Death Note, it was entirely different take on the source material that takes place in Seattle.

Fuck Ghost in the Shell, though.

Fury451

Banned
That's a quality move, but I just know that there's going to be a shit load of cynical posts commenting about how he did it purely for selfish career reasons rather than anything noble.

Top Bottom