• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine Review Scores: Issue #403 — Astro Bot, Echoes Of Wisdom, Frostpunk 2, Space Marine 2, Star Wars: Outlaws & More

tommib

I have the issue, they gave it a 10 because it's one of the few Platformers that approacch actual mario levels in gameplay, fun factor and clever level design. They say it's a genuinely fantastic game and really has only mario as true comparison in the 3D Platformer genre.
They even literally said that it could be mistaken for a Mario game with minor adjustments. I don't get these remarks to justify Edge giving the score like "it's because nostalgia" or "they gave it a 10 because it's on PlayStation, if it was on Switch it wouldn't get a 10" like no, none of these are the reason. Edge even wrote a second page saying that ASTRO BOT shouldn't rely on PlayStation iconography as he deserves his own full fledged game without nostalgia references. Edge already Scored non mario platformers on Nintendo Switch or even Nintendo systems. They gave Kirby a 7(or an 8 i have to check it out) saying it's good Platformer but not touching mario levels. They're genuinely saying as game ASTRO BOT is close to Mario. It's just a very good game, that's it.
It’s the best rated game of the year in Metacritic. Full of perfect scores. Why is the 10 from Edge hard to swallow?

GymWolf

Gold Member
People ITT fighting over a 6 rating vs 7 rating for two cinematic games, meanwhile...

fight-shade.gif
Wukong is as gameplay centric as it comes, having great production values compared to the games in your list doesn't make any difference, i'm at 60 hours and i had maybe 20 min total of cutscenes...

FewRope

For you. Wukong is an average game with cute UE5 technical features. I wrote about that while I was playing it. It’s not like a 7 and 6 are a bridge between mediocrity and a masterpiece
The game is the definition of mid, the combat doesnt work at all. Feels like they had a parry system and completely removed it 1 month before launch

GymWolf

Gold Member
The game is the definition of mid, the combat doesnt work at all. Feels like they had a parry system and completely removed it 1 month before launch
Lol in what way the combat doesn't work at all?

And the game has a parry mechanic and you can specc for it and wear pieces of armours to have it available more frequently, they just chose to focus on evading like sekiro focus on parrying, thank god that not every game play the same, i vastly prefer dodging over parrying for example.

Last edited:

FewRope

Lol in what way the combat doesn't work at all?

And the game has a parry mechanic and you can specc for it and wear pieces of armours to have it available more frequently, they just chose to focus on evading like sekiro focus on parrying, thank god that not every game play the same, i vastly prefer dodging over parrying fro example.
The parry system that have a cooldown is not a parry system lol

GymWolf

Gold Member
The parry system that have a cooldown is not a parry system lol
But it is something that you can upgrade to have it more frequently available, it's just not the focus of the gameplay because not every game try to be sekiro.

You still haven't explained why the combat doesn't work AT ALL.

Is it just because you don't have an infinite parry? :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Dafegamer

I wouldn't say mid, it's definitely good, but the initial gameplay vids didn't do it any favours. What i was expecting was an open world game or open ended game mirroring Journey to the West with souls like combat. Basically closer to a God of War 2018 Game. But boy I was wrong, way linear than expected. You can't believe how many times I ran into things that looked like paths only for it to be a wall. Its Sekiro but limited to a corridor with less verticality in Combat and missing parry.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I wouldn't say mid, it's definitely good, but the initial gameplay vids didn't do it any favours. What i was expecting was an open world game or open ended game mirroring Journey to the West with souls like combat. Basically closer to a God of War 2018 Game. But boy I was wrong, way linear than expected. You can't believe how many times I ran into things that looked like paths only for it to be a wall. Its Sekiro but limited to a corridor with less verticality in Combat and missing parry.
At least half of the locations are gigantic, the game is hardly linear.

It has questionable level design with all the invisible wars, but linear?

New gow games are considered wide-open already and wukong has way bigger locations than gow.

Mayne we just have different concept of linear.

Last edited:

FewRope

You can actually tell some enemy patterns are 100% made for having a parry system like Sekiro with the monkey staff, I legit think they got rid of it last moment for some reason

Dafegamer

At least half of the locations are gigantic, the game is hardly linear.

It has questionable level design with all the invisible wars, but linear?

New gow games are considered wide-open already and wukong has way bigger locations than gow.

Mayne we just have different concept of linear.
I haven't encountered any large locations yet, Lost interest in it, I will replay someday tho. God of war has metroidvania like structure with different paths leading to same destiny. Nothing I've played of it was comparable to lake nine and all the islands you could explore, which again lead to actual realms as well through portals. I was only 7hrs into Wukong admittedly

GymWolf

Gold Member
You can actually tell some enemy patterns are 100% made for having a parry system like Sekiro with the monkey staff, I legit think they got rid of it last moment for some reason
Unless my memory is fucked, they never showed parry in any of the trailers we saw, and we had trailers for this game for 4 years or more.

And they always showed mostly gameplay, not cinematics.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I haven't encountered any large locations yet, Lost interest in it, I will replay someday tho. God of war has metroidvania like structure with different paths leading to same destiny. Nothing I've played of it was comparable to lake nine and all the islands you could explore, which again lead to actual realms as well through portals. I was only 7hrs into Wukong admittedly
First location is the smaller one, from the second one the game open up a lot and chapter 6 is straight up a slice of open world, i don't wanna spoiler more than this.

FewRope

Unless my memory is fucked, they never showed parry in any of the trailers we saw, and we had trailers for this game for 4 years or more.

And they always showed mostly gameplay, not cinematics.
Yeah but for example, the Tiger Vanguard has some incredible readable attacks that just clicks with having a parry or some shorts, I like the wind skill (the stone one I dont really like) and all but I miss having the chance to deflect attacks with my weapons instead of making a "perfect combo" and tanking the attack with i-frames

hemo memo

Gold Member
Astro gets a 10 because its the only game of its kind on PlayStation 5.

If it was a Switch game when games like that are ten a penny, then it’s not getting a 10.

EDGE’s 10 isn’t it claiming that Astro is reinventing the wheel, it’s given it that score because it’s the first of its kind on PS5 and it’s genuinely brilliant.
This right here. And it's sad that the budgets goes to the "future of PlayStation" and not this.

Dafegamer

This right here. And it's sad that the budgets goes to the "future of PlayStation" and not this.
That's not the reason they gave it a 10. I understand giving budget to PlayStation shooters more than Astro Bot like games, but there's some misinformation here
I have the issue, they gave it a 10 because it's one of the few Platformers that approacch actual mario levels in gameplay, fun factor and clever level design. They say it's a genuinely fantastic game and really has only mario as true comparison in the 3D Platformer genre.
They even literally said that it could be mistaken for a Mario game with minor adjustments. I don't get these remarks to justify Edge giving the score like "it's because nostalgia" or "they gave it a 10 because it's on PlayStation, if it was on Switch it wouldn't get a 10" like no, none of these are the reason. Edge even wrote a second page saying that ASTRO BOT shouldn't rely on PlayStation iconography as he deserves his own full fledged game without nostalgia references. Edge already Scored non mario platformers on Nintendo Switch or even Nintendo systems. They gave Kirby a 7(or an 8 i have to check it out) saying it's good Platformer but not touching mario levels. They're genuinely saying as game ASTRO BOT is close to Mario. It's just a very good game, that's it.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

Wukong is a great game with minimal storytelling and padding, you can beeline through and no one is going to stop you. You can also do the side quests which aren't 50 copy paste felonies but rather interesting NPC quests perhaps 3 per chapter at best. Those hold some awesome items and hidden battles.

Problem is Wukong isn't polished. Not on console. Game eventually cripples in perf. and crashes when taken out of rest mode. I think I had approx 10 crashes throughout.

I'd probably rate it an 8 or so. There is absolutely room for improvement but its a great start.

The Stig

How is a 10 hour quality single player campaign too short? It’s 8 if you never die and torch through it. Plus the SP supports coop.

How is coop with randomly generated enemy and boss encounters shallow?

Your post sounds like someone who played it on easy, didn’t learn the mechanics and just stopped. Coop on the hardest setting is randomized greatness.

Space marine 2 is only a 6/10 or 7/10 game if you take the easiest settings and don’t actually play the game the way it was intended. Idk how anyone can say that with a straight face. It’s the best warhammer game I’ve ever played by far.
Story is too short for a high score.

The game is as deep as a paddling pool. Pains me to type it.

A good horde mode could have really elevated it.

i have all the best will in the world for this game, but Gears 5 has more depth.

Top Bottom