• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine Review Scores: Issue #403 — Astro Bot, Echoes Of Wisdom, Frostpunk 2, Space Marine 2, Star Wars: Outlaws & More

Holammer

To be honest, I've never understood the status of "EDGE" on this forum. Their taste is odd at best, for sure never made any logical sense to me (yes even back in the days, I did buy their magazine for their in-depth articles, not their reviews).
In the pre-internet age it was one of the most important magazines for informed industry news and interviews.
That's why I read it, not the reviews.

Radical_3d

It's more polished than Outlaws, thats for sure.
Not in PS5.
I played both games on pc and wukong is WAY more polished than outlaws, like it's not even close.

No idea how the console version fair but i'm judgying the best version of both.
Ah, ok. PC master friend. Well, bruteforcing your way to 60 is not polishing anything. It’s way more impressive what Outlaws makes with a low tier hardware.

Dafegamer

Invisible walls are a (bad) game design choice, they have nothing to do with polish.
I'm saying that because I havr no idea if those were by choice from the devs or lack of polish, so rephrased it like that. They came in weird places that looked perfectly explorable

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Not in PS5.

Ah, ok. PC master friend. Well, bruteforcing your way to 60 is not polishing anything. It’s way more impressive what Outlaws makes with a low tier hardware.
I got stuck in the geometry of the level in outlaws 3 times, and lost hours of progress and the game feels like it stand up thanks to luck and spit.

Wukong feels like a sony game polish wise, at least on pc.

Don't make me laugh.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm saying that because I havr no idea if those were by choice from the devs or lack of polish, so rephrased it like that
It's clearly a level design thing because they are at their first big game so they didn't know how to masquerade thing aswell as other teams where invisible walls don't feel as aggressive as in wukong.

GymWolf

Gold Member
PC is not a machine. Is a collection of machines. How Sony tier of polish does Wukong feels in a 2070? Does the title screen even load?

The game feels polished outside of performance, is it that hard to understand? zelda tokt run like shit on a switch the more evocations or enemy on screen are with you, but the game is super polished, do you understand the difference between perf and polish?

did you missed the part where in the same machine i got stuck in the geometry of the level in outlaws or you are just straight up playing dumb?

Animations are polished, enemy ia doesn't act like the retards that you fight in outlaws, you have barely any graphical glitch, outlaws had ram leaking issues so after 2 hours you have ps2 graphic with textures not loading, never had that in wukong.

Do i need to continue?

GHG

Not in PS5.

Amazon Studios Not My Issue GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Radical_3d

The game feels polished outside of performance, is it that hard to understand? zelda tokt run like shit on a switch the more evocations or enemy on screen are with you, but the game is super polished, do you understand the difference between perf and polish?

did you missed the part where in the same machine i got stuck in the geometry of the level in outlaws or you are just straight up playing dumb?

Animations are polished, enemy ia doesn't act like the retards that you fight in outlaws, you have barely any graphical glitch, outlaws had ram leaking issues so after 2 hours you have ps2 graphic with textures not loading, never had that in wukong.

Do i need to continue?
Ok. Performance to me is part of polishing but I get your point. Can’t argue because I’ve barely touched the game gameplay wise and it was running on a beefy PC.

I like Space Marine 2.

Edge can be really hard critics on games, I've always seen them as snobby w@nks, with most scores being lower than elsewhere. a 6/10 from them is like a 7/10 from other places.

Space Marine 2 is a solid 7/10 game.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Ok. Performance to me is part of polishing but I get your point. Can’t argue because I’ve barely touched the game gameplay wise and it was running on a beefy PC.
I can understand that, and the 2 games have roughly the same performance, one is bigger, the other looks better (most of the times) so they have both merits, but like you say, i can bruteforce most games so it's not really indicative.

But if i don't consider performance as polish, wukong feels almost pristine where outlaws feels like it stand up thanks to luck and spit.

Oh and btw, don't think even for a moment that i'm scoring wukong a 10 or 9, i'm very strict with scores, but i can feel the clear difference in quality between wukong and outlaws.

Last edited:

RCX

NN
ASTRO BOT is a "perfectly crafted game", not sure what your problem is. In fact the most videogamey game in years with hardly any dialogue interruptions and heavy focus on interactivity and physics play in its level design
Not suggesting it's not very good, certainly worth a 9. But is it 10/10 in the way Mario 64 or other generation defining games of its type were?

Radical_3d

But if i don't consider performance as polish, wukong feels almost pristine where outlaws feels like it stand up thanks to luck and spit.
To me performance is more important than bugs. Performance is constant. In a systemic game, such a X-Com you can always find interactions that don’t go as expected occasionally. But performance is constantly in yo’ face. Anyways to me both are lazy designed games with no inspiration whatsoever (an Ubi game and another Souls clone), so if I ever play them is purely to see how far PSSR can go.

GymWolf

Gold Member
To me performance is more important than bugs. Performance is constant. In a systemic game, such a X-Com you can always find interactions that don’t go as expected occasionally. But performance is constantly in yo’ face. Anyways to me both are lazy designed games with no inspiration whatsoever (an Ubi game and another Souls clone), so if I ever play them is purely to see how far PSSR can go.
That's one of the reasons why i have a beefy pc that can bruteforce some non optimal performance, but both games are aight, they both run around 80-90 frames in 4k max details except the rtx stuff so i'm satisfied.

Last edited:

Elios83

Edge scores have always been an incoherent mess.
Star Wars Outlaws a 7 given how many 6s they have given to much better games is just embarrassing.

Last edited:

Dafegamer

NN

Not suggesting it's not very good, certainly worth a 9. But is it 10/10 in the way Mario 64 or other generation defining games of its type were?
If we go by that logic, no game should get above an 8 because it didn't reinvent the Wheel. Maybe it's just a good videogame, with great animations, gameplay and also a fun time with quirky characters. It's at the Top of the Genre for sure and definitely deserves it's scores. Sometimes being an actual gameplay first videogame is good enough. Interactive to the point that even the credits are playable, how much perfectly crafted can a game get or does a game need to be? Hardly controversial I'd say. I bet the same people saying it needs to be innovative for a 10 are perfectly fine with Elden Ring getting a 10(fantastic game) despite it being the well known from formula but in a open world. Or Halo 3, despite it being it's third iteration

I also think, as a videogame, it's better than Super Mario 64 for me. Not quite Galaxy or Odyssey tho

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Idk about warhammer being a 6. It sets out to do something specific which it was upfront about, and it executed it magnificently.

I agree with others here that a 7/10 is a more objective number for what’s done here. Runs well, looks stellar, plays well, etc. Did they give gears of war games 6/10 usually too?

SW outlaws score reeks of someone who didn’t finish it.

Astrobot is also giga overrated. 8/10. Come on now.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Having completed Zelda, it's not a 9 in a proper 10 point scale. But if you treat 7 as mediocre instead of 5 then I guess it has to be.

lefty1117

Gold Member
7 is right for Outlaws imo. It's a perfectly reasonable game, is fun but not cutting edge in any way. Where it excels is the star wars immersion factor.

To me Frostpunk 2 is the most interesting score. There are a group of players of the original that don't like the new direction, but I think it's quite good actually. More expansive, perhaps more abstracted (which I think is what some people miss, the more personal feeling of the first game) but feels bigger. Some people have said it shouldn't have been called Frostpunk 2, which makes some sense because of the different approach. Reminds me a bit of Darkest Dungeon 2 and the direction it took polarizing the fans. And that's a case where I didn't like the new direction as much.

PeteBull

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine 2 - 6

Fuck off

Star Wars: Outlaws - 7

Fuck off even more you shit cunts.
Then ppl wonder why we keep mentioning "professional" journos are literal sellouts and they often push woke agenda, mediocre game like SW:O got 7 there just so they dont make Ubisoft angry and keep getting free copies/trips to disneyland and w/e else previewers/reviewers get.
Meanwhile SM2 that doesnt push woke agenda and is much better game, story/gameplay/graphics wise gets lower score :)

Top Bottom