• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine Review Scores: Issue #403 — Astro Bot, Echoes Of Wisdom, Frostpunk 2, Space Marine 2, Star Wars: Outlaws & More

gatti-man

yeah im ok with that space marine 2 rating.

story mode was far too short and repetitive. operations mode is shallow.

looks GREAT though

This is coming from a 40k fan and someone who loved the original game too.

I rate it a 7.5 but Im a 40k fan. For anyone else I think 6 is reasonable.
How is a 10 hour quality single player campaign too short? It’s 8 if you never die and torch through it. Plus the SP supports coop.

How is coop with randomly generated enemy and boss encounters shallow?

Your post sounds like someone who played it on easy, didn’t learn the mechanics and just stopped. Coop on the hardest setting is randomized greatness.

Space marine 2 is only a 6/10 or 7/10 game if you take the easiest settings and don’t actually play the game the way it was intended. Idk how anyone can say that with a straight face. It’s the best warhammer game I’ve ever played by far.

Last edited:

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Outlaws a 7? Interesting because the game looks truly bad. There are even videos showcasing how terrible the A.I is too.

Warhammer at a 6 I kind of understand in of itself. It's an above average game but definitely not legendary like it seemed lots of people were saying at the time. I'd have gone with a 7 personally.

This.
It's an OK to good game aaaaand that's it.
The SP is basically the online co-op mode but with cutscenes with no variation whatsoever, it's literally a horde mode SP.

Add to that the horrible performance on PS5 and the fucking infinite loading screens which take 30 seconds each and...
What feels like a solid 7.5/10 game is brought down by the technical performance (or lack thereof) and personally, I'd have taken off 1-2 points from the final score just for that - it's that bad.

It feels like a PS360 gen game and not in a good way, those loading screens are really, REALLY detrimental to the whole experience...

Last edited:

Mossybrew

yeah im ok with that space marine 2 rating.

story mode was far too short and repetitive. operations mode is shallow.

looks GREAT though

This is coming from a 40k fan and someone who loved the original game too.

I rate it a 7.5 but Im a 40k fan. For anyone else I think 6 is reasonable.
Agreed. Fun game that does a lot right but it is far from perfect.

Last edited:
Aww look. The cute baby game got a 10. Weeeeeee! 😀

Is this a common opinion on this game? I assume by “baby game” you mean it’s very simple and easy? Or maybe you’re not being serious. I bought this for my teenage sons who loved Playroom and they stopped playing after just a few sessions because it was too easy and “boring” to them.

From what I saw them play, I agree. Maybe it gets challenging later in the game.

mitch1971

Gold Member
If Edge gave outlaws a 7/10 it must be ok.

Why are they always giving indie games like astrobot a 10?
Maybe its the pure gameplay you get from indies. A lot of indies don't have the cash to flash and have to make the gameplay the center of the entertainment. AAA can blind you with flashy graphics, ever increasing lands that don't shift the needle much. Warhammer looks nice, flashy visuals, but it's still shoot and walk in this direction until we tell you to.

Hookshot

Gold Member
Is this a common opinion on this game? I assume by “baby game” you mean it’s very simple and easy? Or maybe you’re not being serious. I bought this for my teenage sons who loved Playroom and they stopped playing after just a few sessions because it was too easy and “boring” to them.

From what I saw them play, I agree. Maybe it gets challenging later in the game.

Which do you think looks trickier? Odysseys is like 15mins long but you can take multiple hits in it.

BigLee74

I’m only having a jab at its ‘cute whimsical’ styling that would have my wife saying ‘why are you playing a baby game?’ were she to catch me playing it (which she won’t as I don’t own a ps5).

I’m sure it’s fun regardless, reviews seem to say so!

People ITT fighting over a 6 rating vs 7 rating for two cinematic games, meanwhile...

• Astro Bot - 10
  • The Legend Of Zelda: Echoes Of Wisdom - 9
  • Frostpunk 2 - 9
  • Wild Bastards - 9

fight-shade.gif

ap_puff

The game feels polished outside of performance, is it that hard to understand? zelda tokt run like shit on a switch the more evocations or enemy on screen are with you, but the game is super polished, do you understand the difference between perf and polish?

did you missed the part where in the same machine i got stuck in the geometry of the level in outlaws or you are just straight up playing dumb?

Animations are polished, enemy ia doesn't act like the retards that you fight in outlaws, you have barely any graphical glitch, outlaws had ram leaking issues so after 2 hours you have ps2 graphic with textures not loading, never had that in wukong.

Do i need to continue?
Performance is part of polish btw

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Some you guys get stress over “score” for what? Even Edge or any reviewer give game you like 6 or 5 as long as you enjoyed the game what does matter what score it got?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Aww look. The cute baby game got a 10. Weeeeeee! 😀

Thought you didn't venture into PlayStation game threads.

There are warriors on both sides.

The fundamental difference as I see it is that they are in a thread about an xbox game, looking forward to the game and minding their own business.

What are the intentions of the forum sad-sacks that obviously bat for the other team yet walk into these threads just to LOL emote everybody’s posts and hope for a game to fail?

You can’t see that’s what happens?

I can’t speak about PlayStation game threads because I rarely venture into them not owning the system nor caring too much for their games.

Topher

Gold Member
Would have thought this was more a general review thread than a PlayStation one?

That's a fair point, but he is only here for Astro Bot. Think he shouldn't wag fingers at others and then act like them is all.

Edit: Turns out he did the same routine in the Astro Bot review thread....

Fucking look at the state of that cover and don’t try and tell me it’s not a baby game! 😂

Wheres the guns and/or tits? We deserve better!

(all comments that say I’m the tit will be ignored - by me at least)

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Astro Bot was amazing but Echoes Of Wisdom also SUPER fun!

I personally enjoyed both BotW and TotK but Echoes Of Wisdom gives nice amount of freedom but also nice amount of restriction to make the dungeons and boss fights pretty fun.

Also Echoes Of Wisdom has MUCH better rewards for exploration than BotW and TotK did.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Astro gets a 10 because its the only game of its kind on PlayStation 5.

If it was a Switch game when games like that are ten a penny, then it’s not getting a 10.

EDGE’s 10 isn’t it claiming that Astro is reinventing the wheel, it’s given it that score because it’s the first of its kind on PS5 and it’s genuinely brilliant.

Thief1987

If it was a Switch game when games like that are ten a penny, then it’s not getting a 10.

EDGE’s 10 isn’t it claiming that Astro is reinventing the wheel, it’s given it that score because it’s the first of its kind on PS5 and it’s genuinely brilliant.
Sad sight

Dafegamer

I have the issue, they gave it a 10 because it's one of the few Platformers that approacch actual mario levels in gameplay, fun factor and clever level design. They say it's a genuinely fantastic game and really has only mario as true comparison in the 3D Platformer genre.
They even literally said that it could be mistaken for a Mario game with minor adjustments. I don't get these remarks to justify Edge giving the score like "it's because nostalgia" or "they gave it a 10 because it's on PlayStation, if it was on Switch it wouldn't get a 10" like no, none of these are the reason. Edge even wrote a second page saying that ASTRO BOT shouldn't rely on PlayStation iconography as he deserves his own full fledged game without nostalgia references. Edge already Scored non mario platformers on Nintendo Switch or even Nintendo systems. They gave Kirby a 7(or an 8 i have to check it out) saying it's good Platformer but not touching mario levels. They're genuinely saying as game ASTRO BOT is close to Mario. It's just a very good game, that's it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom