• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine: The 100 Greatest Videogames 2017 Edition

Mario and Zelda games are generally complete reimaginings, though they do contain mini-series within them, such as NSMB or SMB 1-3.

But even that is a flawed line of thinking. Most of the mainline Zelda games are essentially sequels/prequels since there is a singular storyline. I kind of take issue with omitting several FF and Elder Scrolls entries because they have numbers but allowing LTTP and OOT. Yea LTTP and OOT are seperate games with their own stories, but you really going to tell me Skyrim is a direct sequel to Oblivion? Or that Final Fantasy XI is a sequel to Final Fantasy X--when they play nothing alike. It's basically a cop out to allow them to stack Zelda and Mario games in there.

King_Moc

Banned
But even that is a flawed line of thinking. Most of the mainline Zelda games are essentially sequels/prequels since there is a singular storyline. I kind of take issue with omitting several FF and Elder Scrolls entries because they have numbers but allowing LTTP and OOT. Yea LTTP and OOT are seperate games with their own stories, but you really going to tell me Skyrim is a direct sequel to Oblivion? Or that Final Fantasy XI is a sequel to Final Fantasy X--when they play nothing alike. It's basically a cop out to allow them to stack Zelda and Mario games in there.

I mean, it's possible that their reason for not including Oblivion is that, in 2017, it's not really that good.

One mention of Deus Ex and no mention of Morrowind ITT despite their very notable absence from the top 5/entire list...

They have Skyrim. SKYRIM. But ofc it's better to play it today than Morrowind, after all, would you really dare to...play without a quest compass in 2017? THE HORROR!

I do think they shouldn't really include games from past 2 years or so in any of such lists, I think it clouds the judgment a bit.

Blobbers

Funny how the top 5 best games of all time all came out in the last 6 years.

Not an offensive list, though a lot of games got robbed, SMT Nocturne, SMT Strange Journey and Divinity: Original Sin to name a few. So I definitely wont be taking this list seriously as it was made by people whose tastes do not enough align with mine.

Edit: fuck I just realized Uncharted 4 is in top 20 while Uncharted 2 didn't even make the list. This shouldn't be allowed

TVC 15

Neo Member
I think this list is terrible and doesn't cover the length and breadth of Video Game history apart from the usual suspects such as Super Metroid and Pac-man. Though I don't necessarily have a problem with any one game per-say in the list (where is fecking Sega Rally>!>!???).

Its incredibly difficult to condense a 'greatest' list down due to the sheer content of video games vast library now.

King_Moc

Banned
They have Skyrim. SKYRIM. But ofc it's better to play it today than Morrowind, after all, would you really dare to...play without a quest compass in 2017? THE HORROR!

I do think they shouldn't really include games from past 2 years or so in any of such lists, I think it clouds the judgment a bit.

BOTW has loads of quests without a quest compass if you've not played it btw. Lots of reading things in notebooks, or hearing it mentioned in conversation, and then just having to go out and find it yourself. And that's at no.1.

DKPOWPOW

By straight up sequels, I think they mean iterative games within a series. So Gears of War 1,2 & 3, or the Gran Turismo's, for instance. Mario and Zelda games are generally complete reimaginings, though they do contain mini-series within them, such as NSMB or SMB 1-3.

I get it, but their wording and list makes it confusing and a little biased. Resident Evil and Metal Gear deserve more than one game on the list, as does Final Fantasy by that logic.

Just for example, REmake (or RE2) and RE4 play extremely different, yet are great games that have been praised for many years.

And where the hell is Ninja Garden Black or Devil May Cry? Shenmue? Power Stone? I don't even see Soul Calibur? And Wii Sports?!? One of the biggest games released in our lifetimes. The game you could whip out 10 years from now and still have a party... No mention?

Hell as much as I liked Guitar Hero/Rock Band... Where the fuck is DDR? The series essentially started music gaming big time and still lives on. At least one of those games should be on here..

The whole list just seems... Well too gamerish lol. Too many "we'll allow this but not that" "we look for this in a game, not that" picky bullshit.

If you're trying to celebrate the diversity of games with a Top 100 list, do it. Don't half ass it, the top 20 alone is just proof of them dumping a pile of weaksauce all over their EDGE until it limps to the floor screaming... "we listened to you gamers.. This is what you like right meow?!"

Theres so much wrong with BOTW despite it being a good game.

edit: subpar rewards for exploration after midpoint, mixed ratio of good and bad shrines, poor dungeons, poor bosses, poor VA, poor story.

Shush!! Don't you know BOTW is perfect and 11/10 goty and absolutely impervious to criticism??

Majukun

well,every list of this kind it's debatle to the end of the world and beyond, so i will forgive them for not making ocarina of time first :p
Shush!! Don't you know BOTW is perfect and 11/10 goty and absolutely impervious to criticism??

have you ever been in a botw thread?
the game receives critic and complains left and right, both from detractors and fans

Why does Bomberman always get on these lists, opposed to like 99% of it's sequels that are better in every way?

Edit: no Pac-Man CE DX on the list?!

Yeah I don't get it. Makes no sense. Bomberman has better titles.

And if this list is about games today then why fez it got a better competitor and talking about Tetris why have the one on NES? Or computer. How about PUYO PUYO TETRIS. I mean it is better. In every way.

List wants to have it both ways. Historical but the present and popular but small games and I still can't understand why it feels like they managed to pick and miss every entry that was considered the best in a series sometimes a sequel instead and other times a game that is older.

Bioware games missing. Blizzard games. Shenmue

POKEMON LOL

FelipeMGM

I think a lot of people are missing their criteria when whining about the list

f you're not familiar with the format, here are our rules. In compiling this list, we worked to simple criteria: all formats – portable, touchscreen, console, PC, whatever – were eligible; we could include only a single entry from any series that features straight-up sequels; and each game had to stand up today rather than making the cut for reasons of nostalgia or historic significance.

Anyway, that Top 10 is really good actually

Majukun

Witcher 3 at 55? Yeah sure..

to be honest, while it's best than the sum of its parts and after the patches it got a lot better,some gameplay and design decision on day 1 witcher 3 were just baffling...if anything it always gave me the impression of something great but made throwing work-force at the wall until it made a painting instead of somethign coming from a great initial design.

Flintty

I agree with number one. Overwatch should have been higher though and Jesus, what a bad year for Microsoft from a first party point of view. We already knew it but that list is quite telling.

Edge sure are cold to JRPGs. Man, not even a whiff of Final Fantasy VII.

But at least the press are starting to come around to the fact that Bloodborne is better than The Witcher 3, amirite?!

These lists would be better off without the numbering and inherent squabbling that comes along with it, though I imagine that's their primary goal.

Yeah, maybe doing ten top games (no specific order) and then doing the 90 other games (also no specific order) would be a much better way to do these lists. Or just do 100 of the best games ever. It'll still generate traffic and discussion, but with less squabbling! But as you say, I suppose generating a bit of controversy drives a lot of discussion with these lists and probably sells more issues.

Lucumo

Witcher 3 at 55? Yeah sure..

It's even more ridiculous when you think about that Skyrim is at #28, above any actually good RPGs.

Baldur's Gate? "What's that?" Planescape: Torment? "Never heard of that." Morrowind? "Oh, that expansion of Elder Scrolls Online."
And that's only WRPG.

They missed about 40ish old games. Maybe it was made by 25 year olds though.
That would be too old. Lower it by five years.

Jetboxx

So Dark Souls is second, Bloodborne is fifth and Demon's Souls is 25th, huh? And Horizon Zero Dawn is higner than Demon's Souls, really?Well... I don't like this list, to be honest. So much wrong with it.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Witcher 3 at 55 and Far Cry 4 at 54..haha alright.

Happy to see Horizon there though, probably a bit high though.

Destiny at 36 is pretty crazy also.

This also made me laugh, FC4 beating out Geralt et al is amazing to me.

Honestly though...I think Destiny deserves to be even higher: 20 or so IMO (just for the social phenomenon it has become).

Danielsan

Not a great list to be honest. Putting a relatively newly released game on the number 1 spot is never a good idea. Breath of the Wild is an amazing game, and it leaves an amazing first impression. But it's also a very flawed game if which the issues really start shining through after 30 hours or so.

I get it, but their wording and list makes it confusing and a little biased. Resident Evil and Metal Gear deserve more than one game on the list, as does Final Fantasy by that logic.

Just for example, REmake (or RE2) and RE4 play extremely different, yet are great games that have been praised for many years.

And where the hell is Ninja Garden Black or Devil May Cry? Shenmue? Power Stone? I don't even see Soul Calibur? And Wii Sports?!? One of the biggest games released in our lifetimes. The game you could whip out 10 years from now and still have a party... No mention?

Hell as much as I liked Guitar Hero/Rock Band... Where the fuck is DDR? The series essentially started music gaming big time and still lives on. At least one of those games should be on here..

The whole list just seems... Well too gamerish lol. Too many "we'll allow this but not that" "we look for this in a game, not that" picky bullshit.

If you're trying to celebrate the diversity of games with a Top 100 list, do it. Don't half ass it, the top 20 alone is just proof of them dumping a pile of weaksauce all over their EDGE until it limps to the floor screaming... "we listened to you gamers.. This is what you like right meow?!"

Ugh. This list is embarrassing.

JaffeLion

Banned
Witcher 3 at 55 and Far Cry 4 at 54..haha alright.

Happy to see Horizon there though, probably a bit high though.

Destiny at 36 is pretty crazy also.

yeah, a lot of sony titles are way too high IMHO, but this is EDGE, so no wonder.

17. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
you got to be kidding me

17th best game OF ALL TIME, are you serious?

Majukun

yeah, a lot of sony titles are way too high IMHO, but this is EDGE, so no wonder.

17. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
you got to be kidding me

17th best game OF ALL TIME, are you serious?

best way to look at this lists is just to ingnore the actual rankings and just see it as a list with every game as equal..there are way too many games out there and too many different genres and tastes, it's positively impossible to actually crown the best game of all if not based on personal tastes..for example for me zelda ocarina of time and majora's mask are still number 1 and 2, but in many people's list they would nt even get on the list

Cloud7

They somehow found a way to make a worst list than the ones we saw last year by other publications. Incredible.

Final Fantasy XII being the only FF game in this list is beyond hilarious. That's not even a top 5 FF RPG let alone being a top 100 RPG of all time. Incredible.

I can't think of a worse list published in my life actually. I want to nominate it for worst top 100 of all time. It is actually brilliantly bad because it doesn't just put all bad games on it but make a mix of great good bad and decisions that hits you hard on so many different levels. Edgy.

I mean their standards are stupid. They have 3 Souls games there, which are more similar to each other then god damn Resident Evil 1 and Resident Evil 4. Same shit with Zelda. It's dishonest garbage.

The most puzzling omission for me is the original DOOM in favour of nu-DOOM, actually.

Top Bottom