• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Magazine: The 100 Greatest Videogames 2017 Edition

Lego Boss

Wow, I've been gaming for 35 years and I've played maybe five of those titles. No racing games? (I know MC is on there), but really? Where is Forza Horizon 2?

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Could someone who has this and vol. 2 from two years ago please compare some of the articles for the like 95% of games that are featured in both? I don't know if I wanna buy this if they - like from vol.1 to vol.2 - copy pasted a lot of the articles again....
Anyone?

I mean, I know no one buys magazines anymore, but come on.

Kraq

Yeah, truth be told.. it's not a good list. You're going to have to really explain why you're leaving out classic RPGs like Final Fantasy VII, IX and X that have aged well to this day whilst including in XII, a good game that is however not considered to present the finest the series can offer.

Actually, it seems like whoever made this largely skipped out on the PS1/PS2 era. MGSV being there is wrong when you have gaming masterpieces like the MGS1-3 being excluded, with the first game arguably being a game that I consider to be the best game ever made, with voice acting that I have yet to hear eclipsed by any other game. The argument that the games are being judged based on how they play today doesn't hold water if you're going to apply it to MGS and not, say, Half-Life 2, which is not the 6th best game ever made (accounting in aging) in 2017.

Won't speak for BOTW as I have yet to play it, but putting a game at #1 so soon after release is perhaps unwise. I can speak for Horizon though. It is probably my GOTY as of now, but is it worthy of #24? I don't think so, but even if it was, I would need more time to mull it over and see how it's holding up years from now.

And then there's other oddities like having five Zelda games in the top 50 and putting down Fire Emblem Fates as the only FE and at #42 at that. It's pretty obvious that they haven't played other games in the FE series outside of perhaps Awakening, but if they had just played the Western releases they would have come to the conclusion that Path of Radiance was better anyway. Also, no mention of Uncharted 2 but Uncharted 4 at #17? Yikes.

Macka

• Chrono Trigger is missing.
  • Limbo is ranked ahead of Symphony of the Night. What?
  • Fates as their only Fire Emblem game? They can't be serious.
  • Final Fantasy XII as their only FF game?
  • They have a 'one game per series' rule, and then have OoT, MM, LttP and BotW in there? I mean I love all of those games, but it seems ridiculous to allow the lot of them and then only have one Final Fantasy and Resident Evil game.

Yeah...this is a weird list. I don't have any issues with BotW being number 1 though.

DMVfan123

Banned
Last of Us and GTA5 are my #1 and #2 games respectively, so I'm good with the list

BOTW at #1 is weird tho, it just came out a few months ago

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
There are new essays for all the new entries, but the old ones are basically the same, with a handful of edits to add extra context in the case of games that have had updates/sequels etc.
Thank you. I guess I'll buy the one in 2025 then.

I rarely post on the gaming side these days.

It's nearly been half a year and people are still salty as fuck about BoTW, huh?

It's a phenomenal game, get over yourselves.

BriGuy

BotW probably won't crack the top 10 in ten years time. It's a good game, but it's like the GTA4 of the Zelda series for me, and I suspect more folk will come around to that opinion in time.

Where's Chronotrigger ?!

Not on this list.

BotW probably won't crack the top 10 in ten years time. It's a good game, but it's like the GTA4 of the Zelda series for me, and I suspect more folk will come around to that opinion in time.

Just like OoT and Mario 64? When great games come out people can realize it at the moment. GTAIV was never considered greatest game ever by the fans. Only media overblew it. BotW has many fans and media agreeing on how great it is.

Buy it here: https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/gaming/the-100-greatest-videogames/

Previous list (2015): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1117812

100. Super Hexagon
99. Her Story
98. Super Monkey Ball
97. Final Fantasy XII
96. Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
95. Hyper Light Drifter
94. Katamari Damacy
93. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
92. Resogun
91. Puzzle Bobble
90. F-Zero GX
89. The Sims 3
88. R-Type Final
87. Elite: Dangerous
86. Bomberman
85. StarCraft II
84. Pac-Man: Championship Edition
83. BioShock
82. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
81. Puzzle & Dragons
80. Tearaway
79. League of Legends
78. Super Meat Boy
77. Xenoblade Chronicles
76. OutRun 2006: Coast to Coast
75. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
74. Civilization IV
73. Battlefield 4
72. Metroid Prime
71. Hearthstone
70. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
69. Limbo
68. Towerfall Ascension
67. EarthBound
66. Batman: Arkham Knight
65. Transistor
64. Puyo Puyo
63. FTL: Advanced Edition
62: Persona 4 Golden
61. Mass Effect 2
60. Okami
59. The Stanley Parable
58. XCOM: Enemy Unknown
57. Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate
56. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
55. Far Cry 4
54. Titanfall 2
53. Doom (2016)
52. Trials Fusion
51. Nidhogg
50. Fez
49. Overwatch
48. Super Mario 3D World
47. Journey
46. Dead Space
45. Dota 2
44. Vanquish
43. Super Mario Maker
42. Fire Emblem Fates
41. Inside
40. Shadow of the Colossus
39. Halo 3
38. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
37. Spelunky
36. Destiny
35. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
34. Kerbal Space Program
33. Dishonored
32. Splatoon
31. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
30. Rock Band 3
29. The Last Guardian
28. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
27. Ico
26. Super Metroid
25. Demon's Souls
24. Horizon: Zero Dawn
23. Advance Wars
22. The Witness
21. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
20. Ultra Street Fighter IV
19. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
18. Rez Infinite
17. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
16. Super Mario World
15. Red Dead Redemption
14. Super Mario 64
13. Portal
12. Bayonetta 2
11. Minecraft
10. Resident Evil 4
9. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
8. Super Mario Galaxy 2
7. Tetris
6. Half-Life 2
5. Bloodborne
4. The Last of Us
3. Grand Theft Auto V
2. Dark Souls
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Big thumbs up for the inclusion of Uncharted 4 so high up the list. The hate that game gets on Gaf has always been disproportionate to how it has been received generally and this is yet more proof of that.

While I don't believe BotW will hold the spot in the coming years, I do believe it'll hold as a top 10 contender though. I disagree with voting in brand new games in to all time charts purely because of the new and shiny factor. I've often though games to be the GOAT when playing them to a few months later never returning to them ever again.

It warms my heart to see Fallout 4 is nowhere on the list and saddens me to see New Vegas isn't.

Calling any game that came out less than a year ago the best game ever is just asking for it. That's some hard recency bias.

Personally the thing I found perhaps most upsetting was that ARkham Knight made the cut over literally any of the other, superior, Arkham games.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Personally the thing I found perhaps most upsetting was that ARkham Knight made the cut over literally any of the other, superior, Arkham games.

My biggest issue with AK is the aim/prioritisation in combat is pretty screwy compared to AC. It seems to struggle knowing where I'm aiming. Otherwise, I'd say it happily takes the top spot.

Story is - relatively speaking - pretty good (far less chucking everything in the pot like AC and AA), Predator Challenges are top-notch, Batmobile is fun (barring a couple of frustrating tracks). They took everything they learned and, for the most part, improved on it.

Riposte

The most annoying thing about these lists is not that they have bad choices per say, but rather, it's because I know they are in no position to argue, say, why Fire Emblem Fates is the best Fire Emblem game (or to expand the question, XCOM:EU, Fates, and FFT are the three best SRPGs of all time). In my head I just imagine some nonsense like whatever goes down when GiantBomb records themselves choosing the "GOTY top 10"

Zia

Whole way down that list I was like.. Battlefield 4, battlefield 4.... I mean really? Battlefield 4.

Yeah, that's one of those back half entries that I thought that they were pretty lazy about. That should've been updated, Puyo Puyo and Bomberman (which are series overviews, guys; implication is that you can play nearly any entry and it holds up) had new entries that I thought were worth addressing, the Civ IV piece was dated and odd last issue even before the release of Civ VI. I don't really understand why you'd opt for The Sims 3 over 4 or 2...

I think two other big issues aside from those mentioned in my last post are that it seems they don't or didn't have anyone equipped to evaluate racing or sports games. If you're going to have games that are polished vehicles for a very specific type of play on there like Far Cry 4, Arkham Knight or Uncharted 4, but aren't the best entries in their series, it's odd that not a single PES (or FIFA), Football Manager, Rocket League or Forza Horizon made the list.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
witcher 3 at 56 whilst Destiny is at 36, & Horizon in he 20s stops this list from going anywhere

I LOOOOVE Horizon, but it shouldn't be ranked this much better than Witcher 3 if at all. And Destiny wasn't even beloved the year it came out. NO WAY it's even top 100.

Cafeman

What a craptacular list. But, there are just too many games from the past 30 + years thus personal experience heavily biases such a list.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
World of WarCraft didn't make their top 100? Talk about a glaring omission. Its hard to take the list seriously at all.

I've never played WoW, but come the freak on!!!! Destiny over WoW now? Who did this list a bunch of 20 year olds?

DocSeuss

I'm surprised Breath of the Wild and Horizon even placed, but I've never seen a top 100 list I've been happy with ever, and I don't think I've ever seen a top 100 list that people weren't outraged by, sooooooo... I don't see the point in talking about top 100 lists. I don't see the point of top 100 lists. All they do is piss people off.

Would I love to have an intense discussion with some people as to what constitutes a good open world game and why I feel Zelda and Horizon don't quite get there, while MGSV, The Witcher 3, and Mad Max are three of the best open world games ever? Yes.

I think if I were going to write a "best of" list... I wouldn't do a best-of list. I think I would frame it like "this is a list of 100 games I think everyone should play," and then, over the years, update that as games I feel are essential are released. That way, people can go back to my previous year articles and read about them, why the lists change, and so on. It doesn't make them the best. It doesn't require me to decide whether this visual novel is better than that turn-based tactics game. It just lets me list games I feel other people would benefit from playing.

I might actually do that on my blog later.

dealer-

No Binding of Issac.
No FFVII, VIII or IX
No Sonic 3 & Knuckles
No Doom 2
No Super Mario World.

I think the list is always weighted heavily towards modern games, though there are a few outliers. I mean there is no way they could include many of these in an all time list.

I'm surprised Breath of the Wild even placed, but I've never seen a top 100 list I've been happy with ever, and I don't think I've ever seen a top 100 list that people weren't outraged by, sooooooo... I don't see the point in talking about top 100 lists. I don't see the point of top 100 lists. All they do is piss people off.

You're surprised that one of the highest rated games of all-time even charted?

Frillen

Big thumbs up for the inclusion of Uncharted 4 so high up the list. The hate that game gets on Gaf has always been disproportionate to how it has been received generally and this is yet more proof of that.

One of the most overrated games of all time. I can give you a comprehensive list of all the negative things about the game if you want.

Kaji AF16

Ctrl-F "Baldur"
(No results)

56. The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
36. Destiny
24. Horizon: Zero Dawn

mj-laughing.gif

Top Bottom