• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Sai-kun

Banned
Seen 4 of the top 10 :D Dixon is so amazing, no matter what kind of venue.

And Tale of Us are on a different level.

Time to spend my day listening through the top 100. Last year I discovered so much good shit.

Aomber

Gemini EP coming soon, the last project Flume worked on as part of WSN

12369234_924198824295262_1490283846267299023_n.jpg

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
we going an EDM GAF TOP 5 end of year lists?

I don't see why not. People can post their top lists for the year but I don't think we've ever had anyone tally the results (mainly because there are so many tracks and artists that no single song/artist would get enough votes to make a list meaningful).

mr stroke

I don't see why not. People can post their top lists for the year but I don't think we've ever had anyone tally the results (mainly because there are so many tracks and artists that no single song/artist would get enough votes to make a list meaningful).

yes please post your guys top 5 EDM albums/tracks of 2015. Curious what EDM Gaf lists

Aomber

Here's my personal favorites of the year

Top 5 songs

This was a tough one for me. There's a lot of songs I wanna say were amazing this year, but if I had to nail it down to 5...

EDIT: Changed 4 to "Mind"

5. Zedd - Papercut ft. Troye Sivan

4. Skrillex And Diplo - Mind (Feat. Kai)

3. Flume - Some Minds (feat. Andrew Wyatt)

2. Madeon - La Lune (ft. Dan Smith of Bastille)

1. Jamie xx - Loud Places (ft Romy)

Top 5 albums

5. Disclosure - Caracal

4. Major Lazer - Peace Is The Mission

3. Jack U - Skrillex & Diplo Present Jack U

2. Jamie xx - In Colour

1. Madeon - Adventure

Reasons For Choices
I was gonna write a more detailed explanation for each of my choices but unfortunately I'm a bit short on time with finals and stuff going on. Anyway, I've always grown up listening to pop music, but I kinda stopped for a couple of years while I went through a straight EDM phase. Over the last year and a half I've really grown fond and inspired by music that leans more towards formats outside of EDM, but more importantly, music that is good because it's good music. I love interesting chords and catchy songs, and I also love interesting ideas, interesting sounds used, yknow? I hope that reflects in my choices and makes sense.

EDIT: I figured I'd give some more context to my choices now that I have a bit more time. So as for albums, Caracal might be an odd choice to put in there after my comments. It is certainly a top 5 album for me, there's no denying it's a quality album. Buuuut it was still disappointing, mostly in the sense that it could have been the best of the year, but it just wasn't. Madeon's album made the top because it told a story and had a clear vision of what he wanted the album to be. It's one of my top albums of all times.

As for singles, clear winner was Loud Places. That's just a timeless masterpiece, such a beautiful piece of music. I know it's not really EDM (nor is the whole album, really), but it's too good not to put it there.

cdyhybrid

I've listened to too much shit this year to go back and give a worthy effort to a top 5 list.

This was basically the year of Prydz, techno, and trance for me.

L1NETT

Top 5 Albums

1 - Griz - Say it Loud

2 - Hudson Mohawke - Lantern

3 - Rustie - Evenifudontbelieve

4 - Kill The Noise - Occult Classic

5 - Mano le Tough - Trails

Honourable Mentions:

• Lane 8 - Rise
  • Flux Pavilion - Tesla
  • Nero - Between II Worlds
  • Galantis - Pharmacy
  • Kolsch - 1983
  • Spor - Caligo
  • Floating Points - Elaenia

Biggest Disappointments:

• Arty - Glorious [COMPLETE TRASH]
  • Zedd - True Colors
  • Madeon - Adventure
  • Disclosure - Caracal
  • Prodigy - The Day is My Enemy
  • Kill Paris - Galaxies Between Us

Top 5 Songs

1 - ZHU x Skrillex x THEY - Working For It

2 - Hudson Mohawke - Very First Breath ft Irfane

3 - Maceo Plex - Solar Detroit

4 - Nesky - Rio

5 - Lane 8 - Ghost feat Patrick Baker

Too many honourable mentions to list.

Top 5 Remixes

1 - Porter Robinson - Flicker (Mat Zo Remix)

2 - Eric Prydz - Opus (Four Tet Remix)

3 - The Weeknd - The Hills (RL Grime Remix)

4 - Disclosure - Magnets ft Lorde (Jon Hopkins Remix)

5 - Jack U - Take U There (Missy Eliiot Remix)

Top 5 EPs (edit: forget the best one of the year)

1 - Golden Features - XXIV

2 - ZHU - Genesis Series

3 - Dusky - Ordinary World

4 - Jeremy Olander - Goliath

Jeremy-Olander-Goliath-EP.jpg

5 - Alex Metric - Ammunition pt 4

Top 5 Mixes

1 - Maceo Plex - Essential Mix 07/11
2 - RL Grime Halloween Mix
3 - Joris Voorn Essential Mix - 30/01
4 - Maya Jane Coles Essential Mix - 30/07
5 - Solomun @Tommorowland 2015

There were alot of great hits this year. I don't listen to too many albums and I mainly listened to tracks more. Top 10 will consist of stuff I need to listen to daily lol.

Top 10 Tracks:

1. Hellberg ft. Cozi Zuehlsdorff - The Girl
2. The Chainsmokers and Tritonal - Until You Were Gone
3. Coone - Love For The Game
4. Vicetone ft. Kat Nestel - Nothing Stopping Me Now
5. Pegboard Nerds - Swamp Thing
6. Hellberg - Slumber Party
7. Vicetone - Follow Me
8. Tritonal - Untouchable
9. The Chainsmokers - Roses
10. Aero Chord - 4U

Tried to give more listens to different artists this year. Little bit of Deorro, little bit of Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike, little bit of Yellow motherfucking Claw, little bit of San Holo, little bit of Axwell & Ingrosso, little bit of Steven Angello, littke bit of Da Tweekaz, and I'm sure a bunch of other artists that I've missed.

I say it was a pretty solid year and fun year for Electronic music everywhere you looked.

Aomber

1 - Griz - Say it Loud

This was actually better than I expected, I haven't been a fan of Griz previously but I can dig this album :D it's super funky. I really like The Anthem and Get Down in particular. Interestingly this album kind of gives me the vibe that there was some Justice influence here, but it's still quite different of course.

Solid list anyway, personally I'm not a huge fan of Hudson Mohawke and Rustie because they tend to go overboard with clipping, but still respectable choices.

Anyone else going to Basslights?
Personally no but I know some friends who are going, sounds like it'll be fun!

There were alot of great hits this year. I don't listen to too many albums and I mainly listened to tracks more. Top 10 will consist of stuff I need to listen to daily lol.
You definitely should check some albums out! I find the most meaningful music to me comes from albums because each song is written for a purpose in the context of a larger piece of work, and you tend to get more variety from said artist as well.

L1NETT

Saw Agoria with Maceo Plex/Mano in Manchester beginning of the month

right good

And that Sebo K track is super, really awesome picks.

Aomber

Has anyone here been to Electric Forest? Some of my friends are asking me to go to it next year. I've heard good things but wanted to see what GAF thinks of it. The lineup from previous years looks good. Not sure yet if I can even go, I'm graduating in May so a lot can happen between now and June but figured I'd ask anyway.

Also to be clear, it is only camping, right? There's no way to get a hotel in the area from what I've seen.

Has anyone here been to Electric Forest? Some of my friends are asking me to go to it next year. I've heard good things but wanted to see what GAF thinks of it. The lineup from previous years looks good. Not sure yet if I can even go, I'm graduating in May so a lot can happen between now and June but figured I'd ask anyway.

Also to be clear, it is only camping, right? There's no way to get a hotel in the area from what I've seen.

My friends have been going every year for the past three years. Haven't gone myself but they absolutely love it. You can camp or they have VIP cabins if I'm not mistaken.

Hate to be that guy but if y'all can do me a solid and give this video a view. It's a video of Disclosure at MSG. I need to track the hits on Google Analytics for a class group project, any views are appreciated. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_S8uOJtX54

12/16 is the deadline

Aomber

My friends have been going every year for the past three years. Haven't gone myself but they absolutely love it. You can camp or they have VIP cabins if I'm not mistaken.

Hate to be that guy but if y'all can do me a solid and give this video a view. It's a video of Disclosure at MSG. I need to track the hits on Google Analytics for a class group project, any views are appreciated. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_S8uOJtX54

12/16 is the deadline
Yeah so I've heard. I'd look into their cabins but honestly I'm probably gonna buy the tickets a couple weeks before at best, so that's probably not an option since they usually sell out.

Viewed it! I was at the same show in west GA, was an awesome concert

Yea, I agree with you Aomber. I haven't found an artist that has an album released yet. You know how some people are when they have their set artists and genres, that's me. I'm trying to branch out more.

I generally stay and wait for my faves to release a track, ep, mixtape, or lp. Hellberg had a little ep he released, it was average besides from his hit, The Girl. I believe it was his first mini-album he's released. I'm planning on staying with him to see his growth as an artist.

The Chainsmokers should be putting an album out with all their songs. I've tried to listen to Galantis's latest album, maybe once? I'll probably jump back into it again before the years end (I also gotta get pumped since that's my bday weekend!).

Project 46's release earlier this year, tried it once.

Alot of the artists I follow are generally smaller, I believe. The only possible album I've listened to fully would have to be Monstercat's 19th album. Lots of variety, I enjoyed it but that's an older album and not one released this year.

I did most of my mixtapes, ep, lp, and album listenings this year from a rapper I follow though, weird.

I might give Yellowclaw's album a listen since he had some form of Hardstyle incorporated into one of his songs.

I also expanded my listening choices to podcasts. Started with Tritonia, Nice Hair with The Chainsmokers, and now with Global Dedication hosted by DJ Coone! Subbed to Brennan Heart on YT and he just posted his latest podcast so I'll probably jump on that today.

Aomber

Yea, I agree with you Aomber. I haven't found an artist that has an album released yet. You know how some people are when they have their set artists and genres, that's me. I'm trying to branch out more.

I generally stay and wait for my faves to release a track, ep, mixtape, or lp. Hellberg had a little ep he released, it was average besides from his hit, The Girl. I believe it was his first mini-album he's released. I'm planning on staying with him to see his growth as an artist.

The Chainsmokers should be putting an album out with all their songs. I've tried to listen to Galantis's latest album, maybe once? I'll probably jump back into it again before the years end (I also gotta get pumped since that's my bday weekend!).

Project 46's release earlier this year, tried it once.

Alot of the artists I follow are generally smaller, I believe. The only possible album I've listened to fully would have to be Monstercat's 19th album. Lots of variety, I enjoyed it but that's an older album and not one released this year.

I did most of my mixtapes, ep, lp, and album listenings this year from a rapper I follow though, weird.

I might give Yellowclaw's album a listen since he had some form of Hardstyle incorporated into one of his songs.

I also expanded my listening choices to podcasts. Started with Tritonia, Nice Hair with The Chainsmokers, and now with Global Dedication hosted by DJ Coone! Subbed to Brennan Heart on YT and he just posted his latest podcast so I'll probably jump on that today.

Yeah I know what you mean. I've been there done that, I was listening almost exclusively to progressive pop house between 2011 and 2013, with a few exceptions. I don't really listen to too much of it now a day because honestly most people aren't innovating with it. There's a formula that works and most people don't really try to be different. I guess Hellberg's EP is a good example of that – I listened to it after seeing you post about him a few times and I found it to be pretty stagnant throughout. Don't get me wrong, I still listen to certain artists and songs, but yeah. That's an EDM problem in general though not just one style.

Galantis' album is pretty good – it's fun just to put on in the background when you're with a group of friends or something. Definitely one of the more notable albums when it comes to that style. Peanut Butter Jelly in particular is fantastic :D

If you're looking for albums, based on your taste I'd say Zedd's albums are a no brainer. Clarity (the album, which the song is in as well naturally) is straight 128 BPM pop progressive house as well as electro house, while True Colors is a mix of the former with some different styles throughout.

This is from the deluxe version of Clarity but it's my favorite on the album:

Zedd - Push Play (Audio) ft. Miriam Bryant

One of the most notable tracks from True Colors for me:

Zedd - Beautiful Now ft. Jon Bellion

But the one album I'd really recommend you check out is Porter Robinsion - Worlds. It's not really EDM at all, but I find that's a good album for crossing over between the EDM sound and the more interesting side of electronic music. A lot of GAFers are pretty fond of this one.

Some samplers:

Porter Robinson - Divinity ft. Amy Millan

Porter Robinson - Lionhearted ft. Urban Cone

Full album mix:

Porter Robinson - Worlds (full album)

The important thing with any of the albums I named is to hear them from start to end because they were definitely written that way

Yea, I definitely liked some of Zedd's work. Our lord and savior, evilore, likes Zedd too! I'll check his album out. Clarity put him on my radar tbh and probably for alot of newer listeners too.

That's definitely true of many artist these days. It's hard to be innovating while yet being mainstream-ish. It's fun watching a newer artist come up and see how they transform their music, especially for house/prog house hence many stick to remixes until they find their sound.

Gonna shower while blasting some of these suggestions.

Edit: True Colors wasn't bad but I wasn't really fond of it. Liked some of the songs. Illusion is standing out for me so far. Will give it more listens.

Porter Robinson though.... Pure electronic bliss. I'm really liking what I'm hearing. Giving me some nostalgic feelings.

Edit 2: Switched to give Madeon a listen. Hm.... I don't know what to say yet. Will report back.

Aomber

Yea, I definitely liked some of Zedd's work. Our lord and savior, evilore, likes Zedd too! I'll check his album out. Clarity put him on my radar tbh and probably for alot of newer listeners too.

That's definitely true of many artist these days. It's hard to be innovating while yet being mainstream-ish. It's fun watching a newer artist come up and see how they transform their music, especially for house/prog house hence many stick to remixes until they find their sound.

Gonna shower while blasting some of these suggestions.

Edit: True Colors wasn't bad but I wasn't really fond of it. Liked some of the songs. Illusion is standing out for me so far. Will give it more listens.

Porter Robinson though.... Pure electronic bliss. I'm really liking what I'm hearing. Giving me some nostalgic feelings.

Edit 2: Switched to give Madeon a listen. Hm.... I don't know what to say yet. Will report back.
I agree with true colors. It took me a while for it to grow on me but it still isn't the same as Clarity. I figured I'd mention it since it does have some notable songs anyway

Definitely give madeons album a listen its also fantastic

Sai-kun

Banned
I just finished recording a mix today that highlights my favorite tracks/artists of the year, and while it's not 100% EDM, I think some of you might enjoy it :> I'll make sure to post it when I upload it.

Now that that's done...time to make my actual top lists of songs/albums!

Madeon is pretty frickin' good. Loving his energy he just puts into all his songs that I've listened to.

Pay no mind
Imperium
Cut the kid
Technicolor
Stay awake
The city
Finale
Icarus
Shuriken
For you

Now.... Onto the Yellow Claw album!

Edit: Hm... Has Yellow Claw always been a fan of hardstyle? Interesting. His album.... Unique to say the least. Varied. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would be. Alot of features but I don't mind them no matter how bad they may be since I didn't care for the features tbh.

Aomber

Pitchfork put Jamie xx's In Colour as their second best album of the year (behind To Pimp A Butterfly). It's awesome to see an electronic album with dancey moments and influence placed that high on a site like that. It really is an excellent piece of work, I'd recommend anyone check it out.

Honestly, I consider it a better album than Madeon's adventure, but my list of "top albums" was more of a favorites list. Adventure had a bigger impact on me, but In Colour is a masterpiece.

http://pitchfork.com/features/staff-lists/9764-the-50-best-albums-of-2015/5/

A couple songs from the album:

Jamie xx - Loud Places (ft Romy)

Jamie xx - Gosh (Official Music Video)

L1NETT

can't wait for the Ultra youtube to cut Pendulum off half way through so we can all catch the surely brilliant Afrojack set

fair enough to them though, headliners do actually have some diversity and aren't all big room generic hardwell esque bilge

Don't they usually stream Ultra on Twitch or am I thinking of another festival?

ah you might be right, i am mistaking it for tommorowland i think

Aomber

can't wait for the Ultra youtube to cut Pendulum off half way through so we can all catch the surely brilliant Afrojack set

fair enough to them though, headliners do actually have some diversity and aren't all big room generic hardwell esque bilge

ah you might be right, i am mistaking it for tommorowland i think

Worst case scenario there'll always be an audio version of the whole set

The streams will always do that and I hate it. My buddies and I were drinking and jamming to Deorro when he was doing his set during Electric Zoo.... Nope, let's cut him off and go to another set. Then we just raged to that set too lol.

Hm.... I wonder how VR will impact these festivals when the VR sets get to consumer price levels. Obviously not alot of people will have a VR set but it would be interesting to get a VR experience at all these festivals. The allure will still be there for people who likes to be there physically.

In most cases, the official Youtubes or soundclouds will upload the mainstages and other stages.

Aomber

The streams will always do that and I hate it. My buddies and I were drinking and jamming to Deorro when he was doing his set during Electric Zoo.... Nope, let's cut him off and go to another set. Then we just raged to that set too lol.

Hm.... I wonder how VR will impact these festivals when the VR sets get to consumer price levels. Obviously not alot of people will have a VR set but it would be interesting to get a VR experience at all these festivals. The allure will still be there for people who likes to be there physically.

In most cases, the official Youtubes or soundclouds will upload the mainstages and other stages.

I've thought about this and honestly, probably not much. Being VR'd in the crowd really won't be the same as the crowd because it still feels like a video, if you've seen some of the samples online you know what I mean, doesn't quite feel like you're in the crowd. Also I'd personally still opt for a regular video recording like we get during live streams because it's a much better view of everything.

Yep, that's part of being at a huge music festival. The option will still be there for people who won't get a chance to go. I think the 360 degree views would be awesome for youtube videos for the sets. Those don't require VR equipment besides an up to date phone.

Watching that Fort Minor video was pretty sick and I think it would awesome if it caught on.

Top Bottom