• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDM |OT| Future Flo-Rida Hits

Aomber

AOTY 2016 drops early Feb https://twitter.com/Mat_Zo/status/683953462896365568

and he dropped a buncha rejected album demos on his soundcloud and god fuckin dam how is zo not the most talented versatile producer aroud

should be a cracking year

I'm right looking forward to albums/EPs from (off the top of my head)

Bonobo
Eric Prydz
Maceo Plex
Oliver
Crystal Castles
Empire of the Sun
Miike Snow
Justice
The Knocks
SebastiAn
Gorillaz
James Blake

That's exciting news, also strong possibility Flume will release his album this year. I really like the looks of this upcoming year in music

Aomber

Didn't see this posted yet, so here's a beautiful slow ambient remix Skrillex did of his own song Stranger. Honestly completely outdoes the original.

Skrillex - Stranger (Skrillex Remix with Tennyson & White Sea)

-------------------------------

EDIT

WHAT A FUCKING DAY IN MUSIC

Album preview here:

Skin LP Preview

916417_144151979291227_1913618082_n.jpg

mr stroke

God damn, apologies for the triple post, but what a day

CX7F5oiUAAAVCjX.jpg

tickets bought for W2

Electronic line up is really solid this year- Underworld, Jack U, Calvin Harris, Disclosure, RL Grime, Bob Moses, ZHU

and the Yuma tent is gonna be fucking crazy- Maceo Plex, Digweed, Adam Beyer and Ida Engberg, Nicole Moudaber, Nina Kraviz, George Fitzgerald :eek:

Aomber

tickets bought for W2

Electronic line up is really solid this year- Underworld, Jack U, Calvin Harris, Disclosure, RL Grime, Bob Moses, ZHU

and the Yuma tent is gonna be fucking crazy- Maceo Plex, Digweed, Adam Beyer and Ida Engberg, Nicole Moudaber, Nina Kraviz, George Fitzgerald :eek:

Yeah lineup is great. One year I'm gonna go to Coachella, sadly that's not this year since I'm finishing my final semester of college but I wanna do it right when I finally get the chance.

Have fun anyway!

Sai-kun

Banned
If anyone else is going weekend 1, we should hang in the Yuma tent! Always like meeting people and making friends.

I think I might be most psyched for Underworld. Like...I didn't think I'd ever get to see them.

Tomorrowland ticket registration opens on Monday, Global Journey packages go on sale the 22nd of Jan.

Think I'm doing the Global Journey again this year, it's expensive but it's the only way to guarantee a ticket. Just not sure whether or not to get the hotel package this time. Does anyone know what the shuttle buses are like?

Aomber

Tomorrowland ticket registration opens on Monday, Global Journey packages go on sale the 22nd of Jan.

Think I'm doing the Global Journey again this year, it's expensive but it's the only way to guarantee a ticket. Just not sure whether or not to get the hotel package this time. Does anyone know what the shuttle buses are like?

Shuttle bus was great, no problems here, and hotel package is probably the best bang for buck (as far as global journey goes).

Aomber

It's... alright. Just alright. On paper I expected this to be better but I didn't particularly find it endearing. It feels like a pop song, which there's nothing wrong with, but because of Prydz's general style I don't know if writing something like this really fits him to be honest.

It's not bad per se but I hope the rest of the album is better than this.

That Coachella lineup for Electronic music is solid imo. People in OT weren't very fond of the lineup as a whole though.

I'm just surprised a Korean Rap Duo is going to be there - Epik High. Haven't listened to their songs in a long time.

Aomber

I love how Nero's remixes of their own songs are better than the originals. Anyway, here's a new one!

Nero - Into The Night (1988 Remix)

New RÜFÜS on Odesza's label, album out January 22nd

RÜFÜS/RÜFÜS DU SOL - Say A Prayer For Me

That Coachella lineup for Electronic music is solid imo. People in OT weren't very fond of the lineup as a whole though.

I'm just surprised a Korean Rap Duo is going to be there - Epik High. Haven't listened to their songs in a long time.

Eh, the way I look at it is with a festival like Coachella, you can never please everyone. I feel like every year there's always people who aren't happy with it. The thing about the big EDM festivals is it's easy to please everyone because there's only so many guys to book and usually they get most of them every year with a few changes here and there. With a festival like Coachella... Anything goes, and some of the artists they want to book probably have less predictable schedules. Many EDM artists often have pretty consistent scheduling as per festivals on a year by year basis. There's also only so much time in a 3 day weekend and they can only fit in so many artists from all different genres.

Ashhong

Epik High is a trio :( people always forget the Dj...

So you can't use a debit card to purchase the Tomorrowland Global Packages, they only accept credit cards. Anyone know If I can use a friends credit card?

Aomber

So you can't use a debit card to purchase the Tomorrowland Global Packages, they only accept credit cards. Anyone know If I can use a friends credit card?

I'd assume it'd have to be under the friend's name because the Global Journey packages take your name and are non transferrable. If you're planning on getting a package with them it shouldn't be a problem.

I think you're in the UK IIRC so I dunno how things are there but in the US it's highly advised you make sure you notify your bank that you're making a large international purchase because some peoples cards have been blocked. Just something to keep in mind

Aomber

And I thought I'd seen it all. Buddy who's currently living in Australia just texted me about this festival he was thinking about going to, just for RL grime and Deorro specifically since it wasn't too expensive.

Except it turns out he can't go - because he's too old. Turns out it's an UNDER 18 festival. No, not over 18 - under 18.

I mean I guess that explains why the lineup is so shit but has anyone ever heard of this? Lol

http://goodlifefest.com.au/

I mean.... Yeah that lineup's weak (besides Deorro imo). There's no excuses lol. It's also under 18.... That's something I haven't heard of. Usually it's 16+. I can guarantee you that almost all those teens are going to be sneaking in alcohol, pre-drinking, sneaking in drugs, and taking drugs before going. That's for teens below the 18 range though.

Dany

Banned
And I thought I'd seen it all. Buddy who's currently living in Australia just texted me about this festival he was thinking about going to, just for RL grime and Deorro specifically since it wasn't too expensive.

Except it turns out he can't go - because he's too old. Turns out it's an UNDER 18 festival. No, not over 18 - under 18.

I mean I guess that explains why the lineup is so shit but has anyone ever heard of this? Lol

disgusting

L1NETT

new flume is pure zzzzzzzzzz

like the choppy synths but its pretty bland all around. production so stripped back and putting that fairly forgettable vocal front and centre is a strange one.

oh well

thankfully some not boring stuff has also been released

The Knocks - Kiss the Sky feat Wyclef Jean
(new album in march yessssssssssssss)

Breakbot - 2good4me

Louis The Child Ft. K.Flay - It's Strange (Pham x Filip Remix)

and the new Benga is pretty hawt https://soundcloud.com/iambenga/benga-make-moves-future-funk-ep new EP coming in Feb.

Oh my buddha lol my older sister is listening to some old ass tracks. Dj Mystic, Dj babyboi, etc. all those old trance and techno tracks from the early 2000s.

Kozak

Banned

That lineup is huge...

Deorro, Frontliner, Marshmellow, MaRLo, Will Sparks, Toneshifterz...

These are names that are a huge influence on their respective genres.

Now let me explain the Festival.

Good Life Festival has always and will continue to be an U18 Festival.

There was an >18 version of the Festival called Future Music Festival but as a result of organizers paying way too much for acts (they brought Drake last year..) and not being able to recoup the funds, the Festival was put to rest.

Almost everyone assumes there will be some sort of replacement. You don't bring those big names to Australia just for an U18 and Club tour.

Festival scene just seems to be dying in Australia. Way too many shit drugs in circulation and way too many people eating them causing consistent media attention.

edit:

I know it may seem hilarious that an U18 festival exists but consider this.. Its run for 7 years straight now. No mentions of any difficulties with funds. No negative media attention. No problems with drugs.

I mean for the company to decide they'll scrap the over 18s and keep the under 18s event.. Its really telling of whats going on down under.

I forgot that Defqon.1 is also in Australia (which is huge for Hardstyle, rawstyle, hardcore). Some of those mentioned are also huge Melbourne Bounce and Bounce djs/producers which is also still huge in Australia.

I'm surprised they haven't had any incidents (that I or we know of) involving underage drinking and drug overdoses seeing as though teens are far more irresponsible when it comes to drugs and alcohol imo.

Aomber

That lineup is huge...

Deorro, Frontliner, Marshmellow, MaRLo, Will Sparks, Toneshifterz...

These are names that are a huge influence on their respective genres.
Here's the thing, the bold is the important part of your point, and it's a general criticism I have with a large amount of EDM. There's very little innovation, a lot of it is a bunch of guys making the same tracks. With all the amazing sonic possibilities and the technology producers have access to for creating this music, it makes no sense to me that all these guys are making copypaste tracks.

To me a lineup like that sucks because you could more or less replace any of those names with so many other guys in their genres. It wouldn't make a difference because they make the same songs and they play the same sets more or less, and this comes from first hand experience.

I'm not trying to sound elitist, I just love music and I fell in love with electronic music for a reason. I just prefer hearing an artist for them being true to themself, not them being someone else. I do like a couple of Deorro's tracks though.

Now let me explain the Festival.

Good Life Festival has always and will continue to be an U18 Festival.

There was an >18 version of the Festival called Future Music Festival but as a result of organizers paying way too much for acts (they brought Drake last year..) and not being able to recoup the funds, the Festival was put to rest.

Almost everyone assumes there will be some sort of replacement. You don't bring those big names to Australia just for an U18 and Club tour.

Festival scene just seems to be dying in Australia. Way too many shit drugs in circulation and way too many people eating them causing consistent media attention.

edit:

I know it may seem hilarious that an U18 festival exists but consider this.. Its run for 7 years straight now. No mentions of any difficulties with funds. No negative media attention. No problems with drugs.

I mean for the company to decide they'll scrap the over 18s and keep the under 18s event.. Its really telling of whats going on down under.
Yeah I've heard of future music festival, that's interesting to hear though. Correct me if I'm wrong but I feel like maybe part of the issue too is the high cost of artists because they have to travel so far to get to Australia too?

I agree Aomber. The two that stand out to me are Deorro and Toneshifterz. I know Will Sparkz is huge but the rest I haven't heard before. Props for Deorro for 5 Hours though. That's one of his hugest track that put him on the map for me.

Replace them with another artist and the difference is barely there like you said. They do play some of the same tracks in their sets. The only difference being the version they are playing. I can't count how many times the main stage djs all played Galantis' U&I last year (granted U&I is an awesome track though hah).

There's lack of innovation right now with music in general but it's also not hard to look for them in this day and age.

Aomber

I agree Aomber. The two that stand out to me are Deorro and Toneshifterz. I know Will Sparkz is huge but the rest I haven't heard before. Props for Deorro for 5 Hours though. That's one of his hugest track that put him on the map for me.

Replace them with another artist and the difference is barely there like you said. They do play some of the same tracks in their sets. The only difference being the version they are playing. I can't count how many times the main stage djs all played Galantis' U&I last year (granted U&I is an awesome track though hah).

There's lack of innovation right now with music in general but it's also not hard to look for them in this day and age.

Edit: To be clear, when I say EDM in this context, I'm talking about a lot of the mainstage, DJMag sort of stuff, I hope that makes more sense.

I think the problem is that there's a disconnect from EDM and the rest of the music scene. I see producers and artists in other genres who have their hand in music that's completely different to what they usually do. That or they're at least up to date with what's going on in the musical world around them outside of their own. It changes your perspective on music as a songwriter.

You don't see that as much in EDM (you still see it but with a generally select few) and I think artists get stuck in a rut. Think about it – these guys are constantly around EDM between DJing, finding new tracks, hearing other DJs at festivals, etc. Understandably, there isn't a lot of time to think about music outside of their world. All I can say is, you're always influenced by your surroundings. Usually when I find an artist I really like I find out they take a lot of influence from music outside of EDM. That's when I pay attention.

But you're absolutely right, it's great that it's become easier to find the better music. But it also means there's large quantities of music in general which means a lot music that isn't so great. To be clear I still find there is a lot of really interesting electronic music, but I feel quite a bit of EDM is stuck currently.

There's plenty of innovation. You just won't find it on the main stage.
Of course! I should have made it more clear but that's more what I meant, admittedly I caught myself referring to EDM in this case as what the general public thinks it is because we were talking about that under 18 festival lineup. I guess that's why I was saying a "large amount", that still counts for a good chunk of EDM.

Again, Aomber speaks some knowledge that I just can't disagree with lol. I don't know what's going to happen next to propel the whole scene forward but the future looks bright from my view.

Easier to find more music but also easier to find trash music just like you said.

There's plenty of innovation. You just won't find it on the main stage.

This is also entirely true.

Top Bottom