• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

LiK

LiquidSwords said:
not really, just a small number of people have occasionally had a crash after getting a certain achievement. might be hardware-specific; it's being looked into.

Most everyone is tripping out with Enoch without incident.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/liquidswords76/watchers.jpg[/QUOTE]

oh ok. weird. i did a search and found pretty much zero info about this so i guess it's not widespread. hope i don't get it when i play the 360 version. trophies are good but i like cheevos more. ;)

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm playing this game on Normal and I think the difficulty's alright so far. Nothing I want to plan for Dante-Must-Die-style yet. Regarding the Watchers: yeah, have the right weapon. It seems as though Gale is the most balanced (sword-type; good distance/speed, good attack power). Veil (fist-type) is the slowest but strongest. Gale (projectile) has the longest range, but it's also the weakest in terms of attack power. It does seem Rock-Paper-Scissors-esque. Could be wrong though.

Loving this game more and more as I progress. The different artstyles and their use throughout the stages I've seen so far are amazing. Nearly everything in this game is pleasurable to the senses (ie: the audio and visuals). The artbook for this game and the Catherine artbook will be acquired someday.

I completed a few of the
Darkness Stage
levels as well. Those weren't too bad as they seemed to be pure platforming levels to get
Ishtar's Bone Fragments
. Apparently those unlock something?

Yuterald said:
I really do enjoy the flow of combat. Dashing into enemies with your gale to keep your combo going feels nice and I've pulled off some perfect guards during 50+ hit combos and it feels oh so good
Dashing with Gale feels soooo good. Love it.

I'm trying to work on perfecting the guard breaks, though... But I really enjoy the combat's flow as well. It's fun.

Teknoman

Anyone accidentally fall into the darkness? I thought i'd just get game over...but...

Well lets just say I want to know more about what happened instead of just seeing a game over screen :p

Teknoman said:
Anyone accidentally fall into the darkness? I thought i'd just get game over...but...

Well lets just say I want to know more about what happened instead of just seeing a game over screen :p
It's pretty obvious as to what happens. Also it depends on how fast you are.

Kambing

I tried the demo out and quite enjoyed it. Basically i am wondering for those of you that bought the game in the $50-60 range has the purchase been worth it? Deciding whether or not i should buy it now or wait till its less than $40.

Veelk

Banned
I'm considering buying this, but Deus ex is just about to come out in 2 days. Can anyone tell me how many hours it takes to beat this game? I want to be free when it comes out

Cheska

Generic said:
I'm considering buying this, but Deus ex is just about to come out in 2 days. Can anyone tell me how many hours it takes to beat this game? I want to be free when it comes out

Seems like the average time is about 9 hours or so.

Owzers

Sooooooo i miss gaming manuals when i rent games.

Took me an hour to figure out that by holding the square button you could do charged/powerful moves. I was doing basic attacks and block breakers the whole time :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
sillymonkey321 said:
Sooooooo i miss gaming manuals when i rent games.

Took me an hour to figure out that by holding the square button you could do charged/powerful moves. I was doing basic attacks and block breakers the whole time :(
The charged move is also a counterattack. Hold it right before getting attacked and then release and you'll attack through the opponent's animation.

Just finished it. I liked it a lot.

Owzers

Y2Kev said:
The charged move is also a counterattack. Hold it right before getting attacked and then release and you'll attack through the opponent's animation.

Just finished it. I liked it a lot.

I was totally off on the mechanics of this game for awhile. I thought it said to counterattack you had to get hit first then attack them, then i thought you had to block their attack then attack like a normal counter. Then 3 hours in on the loading screen i read that you had to charge your attack like you said and release before they hit you.

I never really have great timing with attacks so i don't try to counter too often, i usually end up getting hit. I probably s hould have played on easy but i'm doing okay on normal so far, beat the second boss earlier.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think the one-button combat is basically what Molyneux was aiming for with Fable II.

Yuterald

Anyone know if you can perform a perfect guard at any time, or do you have to wait for animations to cool down?

Not quite sure, actually. I'm thinking you can perfect guard at any time, but I could be wrong. You can cancel some things, but not everything. For example, when you are in the middle of the furious fist combo with the Veil you can R1 + X back dash out of the string. You can perfect guard A LOT of stuff though. When the Watchers get knocked down and they do that recovery animation that results in a knock back blast, that can actually be perfect guarded.

All Watchers seem vulnerable just after they do a move/combo. Fighting them aggressively is a lot of fun.

Teknoman

Lostconfused said:
It's pretty obvious as to what happens. Also it depends on how fast you are.

Well now I know who's area it is
Belial I guess
? But since the voice said
something along the lines of "is neither the light or darkness important to you?!"
, thats what made me want to know what Enoch about to do.

Cheska

So how many people got the Midgar vibe from
Azazeals
level? It was pretty epic, and probably one of my favorite levels thus far. Love love love the gameplay change as well.

Yuterald said:
When the Watchers get knocked down and they do that recovery animation that results in a knock back blast, that can actually be perfect guarded.
I think you can perfect guard everything. One of the bosses has electricity columns moving around the level which can be considered an environmental hazard but you can perfect guard those as well.

Yuterald

Lostconfused said:
I think you can perfect guard everything. One of the bosses has electricity columns moving around the level which can be considered an environmental hazard but you can perfect guard those as well.

Oh wow, I didn't think you could perfect guard those during that boss fight (I know which one you are talking about without spoiling anything). That's so cool if true!

I only have Chapter 11, the final chapter left to G Rank on Normal. It's so hard though. I had to use my L1+R1 rage move or whatever and I got knocked out a bunch. It was only an S Rank. =(

Anyone else getting more into score attack mode yet? I know the game just came out, but I feel like I am talking to myself, lol! I have a feeling that this is going to be my road block for awhile.

Yuterald

yo_soy_el_topo said:
I asked earlier but don't think anyone answered me.. so are there global leaderboards for stages in this game?

Yes, there are leaderboards. You can filter by Top Score, Your Score, & Friends Score. You can also sort by stage and difficulty. And of course, the top scores are crazy Japanese players! I feel pretty good though, I placed 6th on one stage and I am always in the top 20, at least.

Yuterald said:
Oh wow, I didn't think you could perfect guard those during that boss fight (I know which one you are talking about without spoiling anything). That's so cool if true!
You can perfect guard the meteors as well but I only managed to do it once.

Yuterald

Lostconfused said:
You can perfect guard the meteors as well but I only managed to do it once.

Shit, that's mega dangerous though, lol! I would love to see a video of someone perfect guarding those meteor shots. I was on 1 life shard with no knockouts during that Chapter and I had to resort to my pause trick to see where the meteors were landing. I was too nervous to wing it in real time, lol!

Teknoman

Cheska said:
So how many people got the Midgar vibe from
Azazeals
level? It was pretty epic, and probably one of my favorite levels thus far. Love love love the gameplay change as well.

Yeah, the
cycle fight
cutscenes in particular. Never get tired of seeing action like that take place. I was kinda hoping to fight
Azazeal
there, complete with mechanical second form though. Not sure how many chapters are left, but it seems like
we wont get to imprison them all, unless you get more via hard mode

Cheska

So just finished the game. Absolutely brilliant, and easily one of my favorite games this year. Everyone has pretty much touched up on what I was going to say for my impressions. There were only two chapters I really detested, Chapter 8
the one where youre playing as the angel
and especially chapter 10. Both really gave me a hard time with the platforming sequences. Also
Jason Isaacs
is the voice actor for Lucifel!? WHAT!? Mind blown! Never would have guessed that one.

EDIT: So that scene at the end
the one with the underwater Nephrim (?), do you guys think that's meant to suggest we may see a sequel in the future?

Jintor

I really loved the
motorbike sequence
. It was just a break from the action at precisely the right time.

Cheska

Jintor said:
I really loved the
motorbike sequence

YES! So flashy and well done. Totally caught me off guard too lol

LiK

Jintor said:
I really loved the
motorbike sequence
Reminded me of Bayonetta. Definitely a nice breather.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finished the game. It was absolutely fantastic.

Whoever IGN had review the game was wrong. Really. His opinion was actually - somehow, despite that it's an opinion - wrong.

I wish Japan would get their asses in gear and make more games like this.

Praise be to the Mangod for helping bring over one of the most exquisite games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Fantastic from beginning to the end.

desu

TheChillyAcademic said:
Do we have any idea if a sequel is in the works...or was ever considered?

Well if you have seen the ending, you could guess they left open the possibility. But if there really will be one ... nobody knows.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Jintor said:
I really loved the
motorbike sequence

Me too, loved the song as well. Might've been my favorite part of the game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man, it's been like 5 hours since I finished the game and I wanna jump back in (and would, if Deus Ex weren't out in a few hours.) There's just nothing like this game...

Teknoman

Y2Kev said:

PoorFate said:
The second version that plays right after is even better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQQkyQ0BFCg

It contains spoilers about the first Fallen Angel fight in case anyone hasn't gotten past it yet.

Yup best fight theme so far.

I better see another boss battle with a second/more threatening form before the game ends though
. So far its only been that one fight, aside from whatever happened with that
Fire Nephilim eating Baraquel

Owzers

I'm in The Darkness platforming stage....and my enjoyment of this game is at an end. I mostly liked my time with the game though i wasn't great at the combat, when there were 2-3 enemies on the screen at once it felt like they'd swarm me a little too much.

No reason why they couldn't make a reasonable attempt at having trippy visuals and a decently told story.

I knew going in it was suppose to be somewhat of a mess but nothing could have prepared me for how terrible it ended up being.

Besides that towards the end of the game the gameplay just becomes tedious and boring.

I mean to say that the images tell little stories about its mythos and characters - they're trippy, but they're also a bit more than that(at times). I hear ya, but I personally almost always prefer surrealism to specificity in Japanese video games.

randomkid

Alright GAF, the game is currently installing and I need to know what difficulty level to pick. I'm on 100% media and information blackout so I know almost nothing about the game and thus have avoided reading this thread.

Can I switch difficulty levels after my choice without penalty? That's all I need to know and I'll pick Normal. Otherwise it will be Easy because I am TERRIBLE TERRIBLE at action games, (I had to give up on Normal half-way through Bayonetta, for reference).

Edit: Okay I risked a google search and apparently I can't switch. Hmm, decisions decisions.

Teknoman

sillymonkey321 said:
I'm in The Darkness platforming stage....and my enjoyment of this game is at an end. I mostly liked my time with the game though i wasn't great at the combat, when there were 2-3 enemies on the screen at once it felt like they'd swarm me a little too much.

I dont think anyone liked that part.

Yuterald

I got G Ranks on every stage on Normal! I also now have G Ranks on all but two stages on Easy (just going through this mode for completion sake, I want G Ranks for everything). I can't stop playing this game! Score mode is waaaay too addicting. I can't wait to get into Hard and Extra soon!

Top Bottom