• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

they nailed everything but the character design...extremely beautiful psychedelic settings clash with effeminate jeans dude.

those crotches were made for the 3DS!

Trike

Game looks purdy. I know next to nothing about it though, even after watching the gameplay trailer. Will there be a demo on PSN or Xbox Live?

When you update the OP can you give a brief description of the gameplay? Also you put "angles" twice instead of angels.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I will play this game exclusively in an altered state of mind. I want to smell the colors and feel the sounds.

Yoshiya

Cannot wait for release. This, Journey and Child of Eden are my most anticipated games this year. Should be great.

heyf00L said:
I'm not digging the juxtaposition of hipsters and ancient culture.
?

They don't even look like hipsters.

This is what hipsters look like.

Anyway, the demo is genuinely addicting. Once you really figure the combat out, the game flows like Ninja Gaiden with a touch of Devil May Cry. For having such simple controls, it's amazing how deep the combat can be. When you start stringing combos together and intercepting attacks, you feel unstoppable. This game gives a great sense of accomplishment when you do well. Overcoming the challenging AI definitely assists in that department.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Smision said:
they nailed everything but the character design...extremely beautiful psychedelic settings clash with effeminate jeans dude.

those crotches were made for the 3DS!
The blonde hair is what irks me most.

desu

I really hope someone over here can answer this soon. Waiting until June for the stateside release is going to suck.

Except the menu, no english at all in the game.

Game has mandatory install of 4gb on PS3.

All the logos before booting are still there.

Lime

Too bad about the main character design. This game would definitely be my cup of tea, if it weren't for such atrocious choice of style. I just can't look past it.

I got to try this out today in Akiba, pretty impressive. The controls are extremely simple (essentially 4 buttons for everything), but the combat system feels pretty damn deep. The difficulty seems to be coming from the Ninja Gaiden school of "the simplest enemies can kill you if you aren't paying attention."

Since it doesnt have a firm NA release date yet, i'm half tempted to pick it up in Japan and give my PS3 some region free loving.

On the other hand, my grasp of japanese is so poor that i'll essentially be missing out on the story.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think I'm getting tired of OT's with witty phrases in them. This one seems fine with just OT at the end.

I'm gonna grab my coffee :O

Hyphen

desu said:
  • available on the japanese PSN and Xbox 360 Marketplace [JP title: エルシャダイ]
  • features 3D and 2D parts of the game
  • length is about 10-15min
  • easy and normal difficulty are selectable
  • two weapon types (gale and arch) are playable
  • use L1, R1, X, and Square to revive yourself after dying

Doesn't seem worthy of a purchase then.

Dash Kappei said:
Armor boob for me.
Fuck that shit. Boob armor = BEST ARMOR!

desu said:
If anyone wants to check out some samples from the soundtrack, go here: http://www.square-enix.co.jp/music/sem/page/elshaddai/ . They unlocked them all now.
YESYESYES! My copy (soundtrack) is coming in very soon. CAN'T WAIT! This will probably be my soundtrack of the year.

Lime said:
Too bad about the main character design. This game would definitely be my cup of tea, if it weren't for such atrocious choice of style. I just can't look past it.
Sucks to be you!

Going to be a gem of this gen.

My order shipped along with the artbook, cant wait. I figured to just get the JP version since I am not waiting til June with the English HK version, US ver would probably be out by then or around.

Edit: fuck, forgot to order the OST. Can anyone name all known merchandise/bonuses besides OST and artbook?

webrunner

desu said:
In the beginning, God appointed a group of angles to watch over the world.
These angels were called Grigori. Over the ages they they became fascinated
with humans. Until succumbing to temptation they abandoned Heaven for
Earth. The Heavenly Council decided to send a great flood to stop humanity
from proceeding down this uninteded course. But a human named Enoch, who
served as scribe in Heaven, objected. The Council agreed to rescind its ruling
if Enoch could capture the renegade angles. And so begins Enoch's long quest
to save the world ... This is a tale of ancient times past; a tale that was not
permitted to be handed down through the ages ...

You think you're a cute one don't you? How can you be so obtuse. That's just not right! You need to tri harder. Maybe then you'll have a better degree of success.

desu

Zoibie said:
So do I! Any ETA on an English demo?

I think the 360 demo from the JPN marketplace is english when played with english set as console language.

SCHUEY F1 said:
Want the US version bad and I hope there is an art book released as well.

Japan has guide/artbook releases: http://elshaddai.jp/booknews.html

Also from what I heard, beating the game also unlocks artwork to be watched in a ingame gallery.

webrunner said:
You think you're a cute one don't you? How can you be so obtuse. That's just not right! You need to tri harder. Maybe then you'll have a better degree of success.

my god

it's beautiful

desu

Ezalc said:
Damn this game looks amazing. Have they said about how long the game is supposed to be?

I read from players that finished the game, that its about 7-10h long (easy/normal). I suppose it could take longer on the higher difficulties. Beating the game unlocks some kind of score attack mode with global leaderbords, so I guess you can invest some time here as well.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
desu said:
I read from players that finished the game, that its about 7-10h long (easy/normal). I suppose it could take longer on the higher difficulties. Beating the game unlocks some kind of score attack mode with global leaderbords, so I guess you can invest some time here as well.

For a game of this type, 7 to 10 hours suits me just fine.

desu

Not like it has happened quite a few times ;). Apparently game credits contain a list for english voice cast as well, so they are hopefully done/almost done already.

The character design is horrible, but clearly the focus of the art direction is on the unique, surreal, beautiful environments. So I don't really care about the crap character design, or at least not enough to significantly dampen my hype for the game.

Plus it's a platformer-cum-beat 'em up. It's like they're aiming a game directly at me and my demographic for a change. Be still my beating heart.

Top Bottom