• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

Neiteio

What's the consensus on the GAMEPLAY so far? Because I'm incredibly sold on the style and premise, but I just want to know: Is it FUN? I hope so...

snap0212

Neiteio said:
What's the consensus on the GAMEPLAY so far? Because I'm incredibly sold on the style and premise, but I just want to know: Is it FUN? I hope so...
The stream didn't show anything spectacular yet (gameplay wise). They're not even an hour in so there might be more to it later on.

What I already don't like is the fact that the amazing music just abruptly ends every time you enter a fight.

Neiteio said:
There's a demo. The combat is pretty awesome in that.

snap0212 said:
What I already don't like is the fact that the amazing music just abruptly ends every time you enter a fight.
Is it like Bayonetta where a combat theme will start playing? If so, I don't really mind that.

LiK

i'm in media blackout after the trailers. dont wanna ruin too much for myself. i even skipped the Giant Bomb Quick Look with Shane.

LiK said:
i'm in media blackout after the trailers. dont wanna ruin too much for myself. i even skipped the Giant Bomb Quick Look with Shane.
Fortunately, the Giant Bomb video seemed to only go over sections in the demo.

desu

Saw this on gamefaqs...

Potential spoilers!?
http://elshaddai.jp/special_movie.html
password: iloveyou

or a direct link to the vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSs1ZFpIebU

Its basically the intro video most people have probably seen already (in old trailers/videos). However this video is dated back to 2007. This is when the game didnt even had a name and the code name was different. Shows different designs and voices for Enoch/Lucifel.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So, how's the import friendliness of this game?

PAL gamer here.

desu

EatChildren said:
So, how's the import friendliness of this game?

PAL gamer here.

From what I got, you can perfectly complete it without any problems. But with the very weirdness of the game, you won't grasp whats going on.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
desu said:
From what I got, you can perfectly complete it without any problems. But with the very weirdness of the game, you won't grasp whats going on.

Wait until localisation I shall. Thanks.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Looks interesting but some of the character art is absolutely hideous. I don't think any of the humanoids look good. Aside from that it looks great but Ignition's presence has already set the alarm bells ringing regarding the localisation.

RPGCrazied said:
Looks interesting, until I see that Ignition is involved.
This game was developed by ex-Capcom staff who were involved in Okami and Devil May Cry.

There's a demo. Try it. If it's any indication of the final game, we're in for something special.

Sallokin

I hope we get a fraction of the cool tie in stuff the JP release got. I'd definitely like an art book or something. I know it's not feasible to do something like clothing or all the other stuff they were posting on twitter =(

desu

Vespa said:
Cheers, desu.

Three books is a lot! :eek: A sign of good production?

EDIT: Ooh coming to the UK, sweet.

Or they just like to take your money ;).

After all the guide book is about 200 pages, while the others are below 100. Guess they could have squeezed everything into one or at max 2 books :).

Will give impressions on the guide book when I receive my copy which was shipped today.

jtrov

I want this game so bad. I watched that cinematic trailer someone above posted, and I almost bought the game right then and there from Play-Asia. Been eagerly awaiting for this, but with a $89.99 price tag at Play-Asia I might as well just wait for the localization. Ah well, they said "summer" so that's not too far off.

I can't wait to read more impressions as well.

angelfly

Played up to chapter 2 and so far this game has lived up to my expectations. The music, the art, and the gameplay just come to together so well. Every time the scenery changes I find myself thinking "wow". Chapter 2 is absolutely gorgeous.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Speak of the Devil, I was playing the PSN demo I downloaded a few weeks ago just right now.

Interesting art design, but I'm not sure I get the combat system (given I can't read Japanese). It's a simple X/Square L1/R1 system, but fighting two enemies (which have no name) after the hoodie dude and after the spiders platforming section does my head in. As R1 is defense, right? I get guard broken and the weapon turns red (so I "purify" it with L1, right?) which does more damage(?) against them until one of them dies and then I'm fighting two of the same enemy but faster to where I can't keep up and die. :/

TheSeks said:
Speak of the Devil, I was playing the PSN demo I downloaded a few weeks ago just right now.

Interesting art design, but I'm not sure I get the combat system (given I can't read Japanese). It's a simple X/Square L1/R1 system, but fighting two enemies (which have no name) after the hoodie dude and after the spiders platforming section does my head in. As R1 is defense, right? I get guard broken and the weapon turns red (so I "purify" it with L1, right?) which does more damage(?) against them until one of them dies and then I'm fighting two of the same enemy but faster to where I can't keep up and die. :/
Thought the demo I played (on 360) had the controller screen in english in it..

Are you trying to do it without the recovery option (mash, square, x, l1 & r1 to get back up) when you die?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
There's a recovery option?

The PSN demo is totally Japanese with the exception of menu options and names. The control screen and tutorial/hint loading screens are in Japanese so I can't understand the controls and systems. :/

TheSeks said:

The PSN demo is totally Japanese with the exception of menu options and names. The control screen and tutorial/hint loading screens are in Japanese so I can't understand the controls and systems. :/
There is, I had to use 4 times during the demo (I'm not great at character action games.
Yes, I'm quite ashamed of this.
).

Huh, weird. I don't think I'm recalling incorrectly. I'm pretty sure the 360 version had full English text, I too only just played it a few days ago.

desu

TheSeks said:

Once you weapon is read, you have to purify it again (L1) or it will deal like no damage.

If you die, press L1/L2,Square,Cross to recover.

Attacks are timing based!

PS3 version = only japanese
Xbox version = englisch on a console set to english language

DJmizuhara said:
Just uploaded 4 new El Shaddai video to gamersyde, this game is beyond beautiful...I shed man tears at it's beauty.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_el_shaddai_ascension_of_the_metatron_-10994_en.html

Did you complete the game yet?

Zeouterlimits said:
Huh, weird. I don't think I'm recalling incorrectly. I'm pretty sure the 360 version had full English text, I too only just played it a few days ago.
It does if you play it on a North American system. The PS3 demo doesn't do this.

Top Bottom