• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron |OT| You sure that’s enough armor?

desu said:
Did you complete the game yet?

Not yet...I reckon I'll get get it done on Tuesday when my wife and kid are out for the day. :D
Loving it so far though, the change of pace from 3D action to 2D platforming is awesome, the music is fantastic although I'm not sure I like the actually battle music.

More videos to come in the near future.

RS4-

For the 360 version, I think it's only the menus that are in english (sort of) but everything else is in Japanese regardless of console setting.

I bought the PS3 version and Steve my co-host(RedSunGamer) bought the 360 version and his machine is set-up in English and he said that the game was in Japanese just like the PS3 version.

RS4-

DJmizuhara said:
I bought the PS3 version and Steve my co-host(RedSunGamer) bought the 360 version and his machine is set-up in English and he said that the game was in Japanese just like the PS3 version.

Yeah that's what I thought. Unless the "subtitle" setting in the options menu isn't to toggle it on/off but rather english/japanese. So that might be it.

edit - it isn't, it's just to turn it on and off.

Astery

In case anyone want to know, I went into a local shop and checked the Asian version out hoping them to have English subtitles, and left disappointed. And damn this game is damn expensive. I'll wait for the US version, now hoping it has Japanese dubs intact.

Still need to order those 2 other artbooks...the one on Play-Asia I ordered changed the ship date to late May. Low stock I'm guessing, but I ordered well before release.
Need HEAVEN'S GATE and Flowers for Lucifel, but never ordered from Amazon JP, anyone know any other stores? If not I'll get it from there, I know how at least.
The "guide book" is one of those, or the Wonders, right? Or is there a 4th book?!

So is it confirmed the PS3 JP version goes to English text if you have your PS3's system language English?
Got my copy waiting...

desu

jetsetfluken said:
Still need to order those 2 other artbooks...the one on Play-Asia I ordered changed the ship date to late May. Low stock I'm guessing, but I ordered well before release.
Need HEAVEN'S GATE and Flowers for Lucifel, but never ordered from Amazon JP, anyone know any other stores? If not I'll get it from there, I know how at least.
The "guide book" is one of those, or the Wonders, right? Or is there a 4th book?!

So is it confirmed the PS3 JP version goes to English text if you have your PS3's system language English?
Got my copy waiting...

Only 3 books as linked a while back.

JP PS3/XBOX version are fully japanese and no other language no matter what you set your console to. The switching language only worked for the jp 360 demo.

desu said:
Only 3 books as linked a while back.

JP PS3/XBOX version are fully japanese and no other language no matter what you set your console to. The switching language only worked for the jp 360 demo.

I see, thanks. I would have waited for the HK Eng. ver but that's in June and by then or around, the NA/EU versions would be out. I want to play this ASAP. My copy is waiting but I'm not at home right now.

Also there are a few other goodies (including licensed El Shaddai X Edwin brand jeans...yes, JEANS) and I am securing them now, can't tell what they are in fear of others stealing them up before me. Hehe. I'll get pictures.

El Shaddai is ART! I'm blown away by the sheer variety in El Shaddai never seen anything quite like it in an action game before, the art direction is genesis even my wife who hates video games couldn't stop watching it because it's forever changing, each stage is a total surprise. I really really hope that this game does extremely well outside of Japan but I get a bad feeling that it's going to bomb based on it's looks.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
"Enoch" is the human name for Metatron, isn't it? At least, one of the famous interpretations of the origin of Metatron as the 'Scribe of God'.

CIMG6158-1.jpg

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
for some reason i thought this was ps3 exclusive - HELL YEAH 360 version will be mine :D

Neiteio said:
Why does the guy on the right have a smiley face on his boner?

After playing this game, you'd have a boner too it's just gorgeous form start to finish. The girl next to him isn't bad either.

Neiteio

DJmizuhara said:
After playing this game, you'd have a boner too it's just gorgeous form start to finish. The girl next to him isn't bad either.
Hmm, agreed and agreed. Might be kind of awkward to play that way, though.

So is this a good game? I am interested but it is damn expensive, even though I live here in Japan. I speak the language so I'm not worried about that--I'm just interested in knowing if we have a true classic on our hands like Okami or if it's just a middling action game with pretty art...

EPIC...just finished it.

Some of those boss battles are TOUGH but I found the 3D platforming to the real challenge, you need A LOT of patience to get through it. No patience and you'll probably launch your controller outta the window.

I played it through on normal and it difficultly towards the end really ramps up to Ninja Gaiden type difficultly. The complete play through took me around 12 hours...for an action game thats pretty impressive.

If you're on the fence about this title...get off it and buy it, it's an absolute pleasure to play, so glad I bought it and finished it.

No release date for the US or the EU, I read of their twitter account that the date is gonna be reviled VERY soon, I just hope that they don't release it during E3.

desu

DJmizuhara said:
Some of those boss battles are TOUGH but I found the 3D platforming to the real challenge, you need A LOT of patience to get through it. No patience and you'll probably launch your controller outta the window.

Are there any specific parts?

From what I saw the only annoying platform part is
getting up those razor blade spirals towards the end of the game.
Other than that it seemed pretty normal.

.la1n

DJmizuhara said:

Everything I have seen so far points to this game being amazingly beautiful and unique. I have missed games like this coming out of Japan. As for the girl next to him, no...just no.

Ledsen

wth, isn't this a Wii game? What happened?

DJmizuhara said:

Sorry to break it to you, but that's a guy (no joke).

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Just started the game today and blew through 3 chapters in one sitting, this game is amazing to look at, there has been so much variety in these 3 chapters it's mind blowing.

Does anyone know if losing on the very first battle (Watcher Azazel) negates the No Death trophy?

I've been resetting to XMB about a dozen times and keep getting a little better, but if you mess up twice you're done.

NullPointer said:
Yeah, that design alone probably means I'll never play this game. That's the stuff of nightmares right there.

It's probably the worst visual design I have ever seen on a protagonist. It won't stop me playing, but it is god awful.

desu

NullPointer said:
Yeah, that design alone probably means I'll never play this game. That's the stuff of nightmares right there.

Then just miss an awesome game. Guess this just isn't for everyone (too hardcore xD).

Souther

Banned
I hope you fight a badass looking lucifer at the end. Although i think its going to be hard to top the Lucifer in Nocturne and Dante's Inferno.

Astery

Walked into my local shop yesterday and the price had dropped to a reasonable price so I've grabbed it anyway. Finished it overnight with a total play time of exactly 7 hrs 1 min on normal.

The first few chapters were really awesome, especially the
motorbike section in near future looking city
part totally surprised me, but that felt like the complex of the game in terms of the game play wow factor, and things started to becoming the same stuff over and over for me. The later chapters starting to have more complex and harder platformings which I felt was a bit overdoing as it really felt like 40% battles and 60% platforming. The static camera angles often make it hard to see if your jumping direction is correct on same platforms, tho this isn't a major issue. I hoped it has more battles really.

I am disappointed with the boss battle with
Azazel's final creature form
, I just kept spamming
Gale's mid air attack and dash away and
on and on and done.

Anyway, the game is full of crazy that made me laughed like an idiot.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Just finished the game, took me about 7 hours or so I guess.

After you beat the game once...
You get a new difficulty level, gallery/movie collection opens up, new costumes can be used, score attack opens and more

Overall I really enjoyed the game but I'll say that the first half of the game wowed me visually more than the latter half, mainly because the first half was a lot more colorful. The second half gets darker and thus doesn't have that much of an impact. On the other hand, the game does get a bit harder near the end in terms of platforming and enemies.

It's definitely not the best game that I've played this year but it really went above my initial expectations.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I want this game so bad... the OT is teasing me since there's no official NA date...

Really enjoyed the demo.

Ellis Kim

Banned
heyf00L said:
I'm not digging the juxtaposition of hipsters and ancient culture.
That's not hipster, that's male model bachelor. Hipster is a bit more specific. Usually involves beards, thick rim glasses, and girl-pants.

Xater

DJmizuhara said:
EPIC...just finished it.

I played it through on normal and it difficultly towards the end really ramps up to Ninja Gaiden type difficultly. The complete play through took me around 12 hours...for an action game thats pretty impressive.

If you're on the fence about this title...get off it and buy it, it's an absolute pleasure to play, so glad I bought it and finished it.

You are making the wait for this title really hard. If only my Japanese was better....

Just beat the initial Normal playthrough...

Holy shit.

Top 10 of this generation and it will stay there. I always say last gen had better titles, then you look at rare gems like this...we are living in good times.
My advice is to start the game with of course a good HDTV, but also very important a good surround sound system, high volume. The first few chapters and intro sequences are breathtaking visually and aurally.

mujun

I am up to chapter 5. Diggin this game in a big way. Really enjoy pretty much every aspect, art design, 2d platforming, 3d platforming, combat, etc. Was hesitant to pick it up but I'm very happy that I did.

Yuterald

I guess we are not hearing about a NA release until E3? I want to budget this game into my summer schedule. I need to know the release date!!!

Top Bottom