• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring 2 or Dark Souls 4-- Which one would you prefer to be made?

Which one?

• Total voters

Gojiira

Bloodborne 2 is the only correct answer other than new setting completely.
Dark Souls is done, DaS2 wrote them into a corner with the whole cycles thing rather than just simply allowing the world and the Age to progress. So that setting just has nowhere to go.
I love Elden Ring but its not as interesting a setting as Bloodborne. Imagine a Bloodborne sequel not tied to Yharnam but instead traversing through the Dresm Realms of Great Old Ones, so much possibility for unique environments and enemies.

Bartski

Gold Member
DS is done so not a chance, most likely it will be ER2 but I want neither. We're not likely getting another BB till PS6 the best case scenario is a sequel to Sekiro.

DelireMan7

Dark Souls 4, Bloodborne 2 or Sekiro 2.

Elden Ring is great but too big. Too many minor and no so interesting content (catacombs, boss repetition etc...)that dilute the greatest of the main bosses and dungeon.

I prefer the more linear and contained world of their previous work.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Bookmarking the thread for the peeps that say there is no chance for a new Dark Souls

"Ooooeh look at me with all my Dark Souls knowledge"

Animated GIF

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not to mention, you can balance that aggressive offense/defense game design all you want, but it won't have the same thrill that Sekiro provides.

Armored Core is another I don't want to wait 45 years for
Yup either give me Armored VI expansion or Armored Core VII.

Dr_Salt

Banned
If I had to chose 1 I would rather have DarkSouls 4 as I believe the boss battles are way more fun than the ones in ER and I also like the horror-esque setting of DS3 more than the one in ER.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Dark Souls ended with 3, we should all move on, if they make a Dark Souls 4 I hope it has a whole different lore. Sekiro 2, in the other hand, kinda promised a possible sequel :'(

All the "new thing already" people better bought Armored Core 6. Spare me any lies that you played the PS2 games, this is a new thing for most people. And it's closer to modern FROM than the old games.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Demon's Souls 2.

Fwiw, Bloodborne should have ben Demon's Souls 2.

Last edited:

Fbh

Between the 2 definitely Elden Ring.
I don't know how much more terrain there is to cover with Dark Souls. 3 was great but it often felt like they were running out of ideas: Here comes yet another castle with a dragon, another swamp area, another crypt with skeletons, etc, a lot of it felt like retreading ground they had already covered multiple times in previous games (Elden Ring has some of it too, but the open world design makes it a bit more unique).

So rather than either of those I'd prefer a different setting. Cold be Bloodborne 2 or Sekiro 2 or also something new, maybe something Sci Fi

REDRZA MWS

I really love the entire souls series outside DS2 and Sekiro. I’ll just say plainly not only was ER one of the best Souls games, it’s one of the greatest masterpieces of all time.

simpatico

Neither. That's enough dark medieval fantasy for a decade.

Ideally, I'd want them to tackle a setting they have never done like they did with Bloodborne. Maybe a From game based in the Aztec empire?
There's only so many loincloths and rock hammers you can really model before things get boring.

I'm going to operate under the assumption that people knocking the idea of Elden Ring 2 either got filtered or haven't played since launch and don't remember the grandeur of cresting a new hill and having your eyes fill up with boundless beauty and wonder.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Between ER2 and DS4, definitely Dark Souls 4.

But I also prefer if they tried something new instead. Actually, I'm hyped to try Armored Core VI instead of buying Erdtree DLC.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
There's only so many loincloths and rock hammers you can really model before things get boring.
What if I told you that most of the weapons in Elden Ring aren’t real? Most of the monsters either.
I'm going to operate under the assumption that people knocking the idea of Elden Ring 2 either got filtered or haven't played since launch and don't remember the grandeur of cresting a new hill and having your eyes fill up with boundless beauty and wonder.
And why would a get set in a different locale such as the Aztec Empire prevent that?

simpatico

What if I told you that most of the weapons in Elden Ring aren’t real? Most of the monsters either.

And why would a get set in a different locale such as the Aztec Empire prevent that?
The second part of my statement wasn't geared toward Aztec's not having a good enough landscape. But even stretching history like Elden Ring does, there's just not much loot or armor in that world. They could take it the Sekiro route and not have loot or armor I suppose. I do think there's a hell of a game to be made there.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
The second part of my statement wasn't geared toward Aztec's not having a good enough landscape. But even stretching history like Elden Ring does, there's just not much loot or armor in that world. They could take it the Sekiro route and not have loot or armor I suppose. I do think there's a hell of a game to be made there.
Souls games have armors made of rocks or dragon scales. It can't be that hard to get creative with other sources. Just keep the general aesthetics and you can go crazy with whatever armor sets you want.

Or as you say, maybe not go full-on RPG and make something more in the vein of Sekiro.

Whatever the case, I just want From to explore another setting. Hell, something based on Ancient Rome would be incredible too.

simpatico

Souls games have armors made of rocks or dragon scales. It can't be that hard to get creative with other sources. Just keep the general aesthetics and you can go crazy with whatever armor sets you want.

Or as you say, maybe not go full-on RPG and make something more in the vein of Sekiro.

Whatever the case, I just want From to explore another setting. Hell, something based on Ancient Rome would be incredible too.
Personally, I'd be happy with a new Elden Ring or Dark Souls every 3 years for the rest of my life. That dark fantasy vein (as they've tapped into it) is evergreen.

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Bloodborne open world or maybe just a tad bigger than the original as it felt open world. Just do not want to have to go back to the dream joint to go places.

For the sake of this thread, I would love an open world Dark Souls 4.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
A next gen Armored core that comes closer to their CGI vision, with maybe not as mission structured and open world massive map?

Video Game Trailer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO

Or the KING

from software sekiro GIF

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I think they covered a lot of ground with both. I would like to play something slightly different. A new world with more innovations. So, I would say neither.

Being realistic, they're probably investing in Elden Ring for the next decade at least, but I'd prefer an ER2 that is more linear, less open world and shorter, with a trio of DLCs released within one year to keep it alive. And of course, a graphics update to the current gen would be great.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’m replaying DS3 and a new char on Elden Ring from scratch currently.

People don’t realize just how much they improved from DS3 to ER. It’s staggering.

My vote is ER2, but with an open world more focused like the dlc. They clearly improved to pack things and create more vertical slices than wide open nothing stretches.

As much as I like the FromSouls games I think it's about high time they do something else. I mean we've essentially gotten the same game with some variations from them for 2 decades now.

I'm saying this now full well knowing that I'd instantly get addicted to an Elden Ring 2 even if it did absolutely nothing new.....

Mortisfacio

I liked Elden Ring more than DS3, but I'd prefer an open world more like the DLC. More of the verticality. Less of the vast open world with nothing of note in large patches.

If the linear classic dungeon route, I'd prefer Bloodborne 2 over DS4 or Sekiro 2. Just please have a PC release or a console release that doesn't absolutely chug. Bloodborne was the best of the linear experience, but the sub-20fps drops with poor resolution really sucked.

Vitter.

new ip: Souls of the Elden Born.
Anyway, after Erdtree I feel they did everything they could and want with Elden Ring even though commercially it would make sense to slap a 2 in the title and make a new one but I feel that probably Miyazaki will create another new ip or do Sekiro Shadows die Thrice.

Lokaum D+

some new shit, maybe a steam punk souls or a cyberpunk souls made by FROM.

or maybe another genre, a turn based RPG or a hack'n slash and please, hire a fucking understandable story this time, one that i can understand without watching a 2 hour long lore video by Vaty

Last edited:
Top Bottom