• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring 2 or Dark Souls 4-- Which one would you prefer to be made?

Which one?

• Total voters

Naked Lunch

Neither. Give those series a long - very long rest.
Its the same exact game over and over. Beyond played out.
Id like to see From Software try something completely new.

unlurkified

We either need Bloodborne 2, something sci-fi, or something completely new. I think their creativity’s sapped on the souls formula.

Astral Dog

I prefer Dark Souls/Bloodborne design over Elden Ring, but 100% the next game will be open world gamers go crazy over that gigantic map

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I'm generally a big fan of open world games - my favorite SP game ever is TW3 and a major reason for that is its open world - but I really do not care for the structure of Elden Ring. What it does is take the best parts of the Soulsborne games (the intricate, hand-crafted dungeons) and insert a huge amount of filler in between each one in the form of these massive open areas in which there's nothing to do except traverse empty space or fight enemies. NPCs are few and far between, the quest design is somehow even worse than in Dark Souls, and there's like a single location (Jarburg) on the entire map where the object isn't to eradicate everything in sight. It's frankly all very one-note. There isn't a strong sense of anticipation or excitement as you venture through the world compared to a game like TW3, where exploring might lead to you organically starting a fleshed-out questline or discovering a merchant square with loads of different vendors or entering a village with a bunch of people going about their lives and conversations to listen in on. When you crest a hill in Elden Ring, you already know what awaits you ahead: more hostile mobs, that's pretty much it.

Legacy dungeons don't suffer from this problem because figuring out your way through their maze-like level design is as much part of the experience as simply killing enemies, but they represent a minority of the time spent exploring each region if you're being thorough.

So yeah, give me a proper Dark Souls IV any day, I'm not interested in another open world in the same vein as Elden Ring.

DragonNCM

There is 0 chance for BB2......they will not invest in something with limited sales.
ER2 will do fine for me or any new IP with souls formula.

Regginator

Elden Ring was already pretty much an open-world Dark Souls 4, wasn't? And Dark Souls 3 already wrapped out the series in a tremendous way, and trying to revisit that universe would only sully the excellent sending-off events from The Ringed City. I also don't see how they could expand all that much on Elden Ring, especially with the SOTE expension.

So... to answer your question, I suppose neither?

Aside from those two, I'm not really a fan of the idea of a Bloodborne 2, because I think that was a great one-and-done kinda story set in a smaller scope, pretty intimate universe. Its endings also don't really set-up any potential sequel (I suppose that never stopped Dark Souls, but because Bloodborne was smaller in scope I don't think it's very comparable).

Sekiro on the other hand does have several ways for a potential sequel. The Return ending specifically would be a pretty interesting premise for a new game. Maybe have it set during the backdrop of Shogunate unification of Japan.

John Bilbo

I hope they are making Armored Core dlc.

For a new game Sekiro 2 would be nice or perhaps a take on Onimusha. Sekiro is close enough though.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
I'd take either, but I'd vastly prefer ER2.
ER really won me over with its quality of life changes like the statues of Marika.

Though I could definitely do without the boss copy pastes.

Not necessarily Bloodborne 2 or Sekiro 2 but something along those lines: a game in a novel setting with innovative mechanics that they can integrate back into their main medieval fantasy series later.

Dark Souls as a series is dead, Elden Ring is Dark Souls 4 already (or Demon's Souls 5).

Kabelly

Elden Ring and Dark Souls gameplay loop is exacttly the same but one is just open world.

Sekiro 2. Free Kuro from the Dragon's Heritage.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
More Sekiro or Bloodbourne?

I know im in the minority, but give me more Sekiro.

Both options are interchangeable to me. I'd rather they revisit BB or Sekiro since there's still some interesting things you can do within those settings. Preferably they'd just try something entirely new.

simpatico

Can’t believe so many of you guys walked through Shadow of the Erdtree like “yeah I’m kinda tired of this. I was this was a 1930s UK crime drama”

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
When I said Dark Souls 4, I meant a souls game with smaller map, not an open world, and of shorter duration. I would also prefer an Elden Ring 2 made in this way.
Sekiro 2 would be great too, first one is the best From game, but its a little bit different from these two.

S0ULZB0URNE

Bookmarking the thread for the peeps that say there is no chance for a new Dark Souls

"Ooooeh look at me with all my Dark Souls knowledge"

Animated GIF
Bookmark me telling you it won't be before Elden Ring 2(maybe 3 as well)

Arachnid

Neither, new one, very dark gothic vampire themed one.

With an atmosphere like Bram Stoker's Dracula movie, or something else, a mish mash of different periods.
That sounds great to me, but could that not just be Bloodborne 2? Sure, Bloodborne centered on werewolves, but the vilebloods at Cainhurst seemed like vampire analogues to me (more focused on drinking their immortal queen's tainted blood than the church blood that turned everyone into beasts). Seems like an easy new direction to take a sequel.

NinjaBoiX

Dark Souls 4, easily. Really didn’t vibe off Elden Ring tbh.
sorry but dark souls formula is done imo
Nah, that’s like saying fighting games are done because we’re up to street fighter 6, or the same with GT7 et al.

It’s a new genre now, it’s hear to stay.

If it sounds like a duck and quacks like a duck it might be a duck.

--------------

I'd rather From make something that isn't a Souls game. But they might be trapped in making Souls games forever. Since most of their stuff revolves around a Stamina System.
Are you suggesting Duck souls? I'll allow it

Last edited:
Top Bottom