• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring's final boss has been hit with the nerf hammer as part of balance adjustements in the latest patch

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Second time this fella gets nerfed. He got nerfed in the base game and once again as the DLC's final boss

Final Boss balance adjustments

The following adjustments have been made to the final boss of “SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE

• Changed the action pattern when the battle starts.
  • Adjusted some attack moves.
  • Decreased the damage of some attacks.
  • Decreased stamina damage of some attacks.
  • Decreased the attack range of some non-weapon-based attacks.
  • Improved the visibility of some attack effects.
Further notes in the link.

Patch 1.14

Video of Ongbal showing the nerfs.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
That's lame, fight was cool as it was.

Glad to read about the improvements on visibility tho, was the only part that felt bad to me, too much light everywhere.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Nobody has better data on players than FromSoftware themselves. If they nerfed the final boss this hard, then there must've been very little players who beat him, and without cheesing methods.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Guess Im one of the few who beat him pre nerf, no summons, no cookie cutter shit. Whether he deserved the nerf or not, I dunno. DLC was utter garbage and I'll never touch it again either way.
Why did you think the DLC was garbage?

I haven't played that much because it's a complete stutterfest on my PC.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Dude was the first wall i've meet when facing Elden Ring in a while. Nearly impossible with a magic build

Bitstream

Elden ring as a whole felt soulless compared to DS3, Bloodborne, and Sekiro. Being able to endlessly wander in all directions isn't exciting if it leads you to a copy-pasted dungeon.

Blindy

Hate when FROM Software does this or really any Soulsbourne games do it. If people can't beat him properly then just summon, no shame in doing that.

I felt like Lies of P was sort of ruined a little for me because I didn't play it on launch and played it a year later where a couple of bosses got nerfed. Makes it feel like you're on a timer to finish their games where you run the risk of a different experience if you aren't playing the game within the 1st 2 months or so of release.

I did Radahn solo with the OP bleed build(That got nerfed shortly after) so I am glad I went at Erdtree ASAP.

Last edited:

Fbh

I don't mind this.
It's the first final boss in a From Souls game I just didn't find fun to fight. I'm glad I beat him but the idea of having to fight him again makes me not want to replay this DLC ever again.

I used an Ice Int Build. The problem is that he's so agressive that you cant cast spells

Pre-patch yes, I had like 1 chance to hit him with the spell every minute or so. You just need insane patience and survivability. Hit, wait for his 1 hour comb, hit, wait and repeat. First phase is easy. Second phase your best chance is when he starts casting the aoe, thats when you nuke him. with lightning res you can take the aoe hit, dont run from it. Even post patch I dont think you should run away from his massive aoe, just hit him with all you got then.

Last edited:

Antwix

-Improved the visibility of some attack effects

This right here was the biggest issue. I don't think the other nerfs were necessary but I'm not sure how much they tweaked it. The hair/light effects were a bit over the top. Hopefully aside from the effects he wasn't nerfed too bad. It's supposed to be hard.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Second time this fella gets nerfed. He got nerfed in the base game and once again as the DLC's final boss

Final Boss balance adjustments

The following adjustments have been made to the final boss of “SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE

• Changed the action pattern when the battle starts.
  • Adjusted some attack moves.
  • Decreased the damage of some attacks.
  • Decreased stamina damage of some attacks.
  • Decreased the attack range of some non-weapon-based attacks.
  • Improved the visibility of some attack effects.
Further notes in the link.

Patch 1.14
I beat him on release.

No summons too. I’m a giga chad gamer eternally now.

I beat him a few weeks ago, I had to respec for the first time into a STR build, equipped the Verdigris Set, and Antspur Rapier, was like a cheat mode.

But yeah he needed a nerf in his second phase, his attack patterns are ridiculous.

GametimeUK

This fight destroyed me for a while whilst I learned it. Very rewarding in the end. I don't think the nerf is warranted, but I don't object to it either.

finalflame

It was always gonna happen. You can use fucking Torrent in the Elden Beast fight now ffs lol, and it has been generally nerfed since release.

FROM always does this -- if you want the true experience, you better play in the first month or two, max. The nerfhammer comes out thereafter.

Pimpollo818

Good. Radahn filtered us all at one point. I liked that he would often destroy me if the first thing you do is use summons.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
It was always gonna happen. You can use fucking Torrent in the Elden Beast fight now ffs lol, and it has been generally nerfed since release.

FROM always does this -- if you want the true experience, you better play in the first month or two, max. The nerfhammer comes out thereafter.

Yea pre nerf Radahn fight was crazy and they made you earn that W. Now the fight is a breeze. Could also be just doing the fight so many times made it easier but I don’t think I ever died to him post patch.

hlm666

Improved the visibility of some attack effects.
This is actually something I struggled with, I even turned all the graphics to low at one point to see if it would help with the visual overload (it didn't really help) so i'm curious to see what they have done with this change.

Guess Im one of the few who beat him pre nerf, no summons, no cookie cutter shit. Whether he deserved the nerf or not, I dunno. DLC was utter garbage and I'll never touch it again either way.
soulless. I can tell it wasnt made by the main team or if they did, it was without the care the base game had.
Gotta agree here. Huge disappointment and the only From DLC I'll probably never play through again.
These takes seem so overblown. It's fine to take issue with the expansion, but to claim it as "utter garbage" and "soul-less" is crazy talk. Here are my gripes with it:
  • Not enough interesting loot or rewards which led to some areas feeling very empty. Beautiful scenery, but not really much to do except ride through them.
  • Related to above, the new weapon types, spells, incantations are cool, but there isn't enough. Some builds are arguably excluded because of stat level requirements and odd scaling.
  • General feeling of being unfinished and some loose plot threads, especially with regards to Godwyn and major bosses missing cinematics.
  • Some (read: not all) crappy, over-tuned boss design.
  • Some shitty performance and still lacking modern features (DLSS, ultrawide support), but albeit wonderful art design as usual.
  • Anticlimactic ending with very little new lore to chew on.
Half of these things are par for the course with FromSoftware. Take into consideration that they made a brand new open world game with about the same amount of content as a Souls game in a little over 2 years, it's quite remarkable what they managed to pull off (warts and all). I can't take these opinions seriously.

These takes seem so overblown. It's fine to take issue with the expansion, but to claim it as "utter garbage" and "soul-less" is crazy talk. Here are my gripes with it:
  • Not enough interesting loot or rewards which led to some areas feeling very empty. Beautiful scenery, but not really much to do except ride through them.
  • Related to above, the new weapon types, spells, incantations are cool, but there isn't enough. Some builds are arguably excluded because of stat level requirements and odd scaling.
  • General feeling of being unfinished and some loose plot threads, especially with regards to Godwyn and major bosses missing cinematics.
  • Some (read: not all) crappy, over-tuned boss design.
  • Some shitty performance and still lacking modern features (DLSS, ultrawide support), but albeit wonderful art design as usual.
  • Anticlimactic ending with very little new lore to chew on.
Half of these things are par for the course with FromSoftware. Take into consideration that they made a brand new open world game with about the same amount of content as a Souls game in a little over 2 years, it's quite remarkable what they managed to pull off (warts and all). I can't take these opinions seriously.

Nothing crazy when you take into consideration that I gave ER a 7. You can imagine the dlc being much worse, what I'd rate it. Nothing crazy about it.

Top Bottom