• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELEAGUE Street Fighter V Invitational hosted by TBS

Kumubou

There is probably a big topic around it but I have to say that "nerf culture" in SF has been super real with SFV and has affected the game's balance for sure. People say they ask for buffs but when they actually happen they want them reverted immediately (ie. Laura, Guile, Ibuki, Urien, Balrog).
The problem isn't buffing characters -- the problem is that Capcom is being erratic about it. People ultimately want tech to use (and abuse) for their characters. Someone who played someone like Ryu or Chun who then watched their character get dumpstered or someone playing FANG or Alex and hoping for buffs and getting fuck-all while watching other characters get tons of juice is frustrating. And then there's characters like Guile and Cammy who have skated by with no real nerfs across multiple revisions.

The real solution here is to stop losing at character select, but that's a whole another matter. Capcom's communication being either nonexistent or completely bullshit isn't helping matters, either.

He's pretty friendly with Gllty, both from STL. So he knows.
That doesn't make his comment any less gross.

Hueytothe

I think that's because, despite the substantial nerfs Mika got, she still has the tools those players need to be truly competitive with her. But, then again, you're only really talking about 3 players here: the best SFV player in the world who plays Guile more than any other, an EVO champion, and another EVO champion.

Stop putting words in my mouth. Point to where I said that Mika wasn't a good character.
If shes a good character why complain about her nerfs, how can you seriously say that she got it worse than Chun or Ryu and Nash when most people who played those characters (Daigo, Ricki, Nuki, MOV, Infiltration, Yukadon) all have abandoned them

FluxWaveZ

If shes a good character why complain about her nerfs, how can you seriously say that she got it worse than Chun or Ryu and Nash when most people who played those characters (Daigo, Ricki, Nuki, MOV, Infiltration, Yukadon) all have abandoned them

Because the extent of a character's nerfs != the current strength of a character? Are you unable to disassociate the two?

And where did I say that Mika got it worse than Nash and Ryu? Maybe actually read what I typed instead of trying to create a narrative? I said Chun-Li didn't get it worse than Ryu, R. Mika and Nash.

Hueytothe

Because the extent of a character's nerfs != the current strength of a character? Are you unable to disassociate the two?

And where did I say that Mika got it worse than Nash and Ryu? Maybe actually read what I typed instead of trying to create a narrative? I said Chun-Li didn't get it worse than Ryu, R. Mika and Nash.
Sorry Jett is the one who said she was the most destroyed. He does not know what hes talking about

Dahbomb

I am also of the opinion that Chun Li wasn't hit THAT hard (not as bad as Ryu and Nash). I think she is one good anti air move away from being a very solid character.

Probably a very unpopular opinion given Ricky's performance but oh well.

FluxWaveZ

She was easily stronger than all of them now she's definitely weaker than Mika, not sure about Nash, but she'll be weaker than Ryu with the next patch.

Yeah, that might be the case. But the adjustments she got were less significant than the changes the other characters I mentioned got. When stuff like beating up IAL and her st.LK are the only things enough to dramatically make her a worst character, that's another issue.

Wallach

I think that's because, despite the substantial nerfs Mika got, she still has the tools those players need to be truly competitive with her. But, then again, you're only really talking about 3 players here: the best SFV player in the world who plays Guile more than any other, an EVO champion, and another EVO champion.

I'd agree with the idea that she might have caught hella nerfs, but she was strong enough that she could lose a lot and still be competitive. I'm just not getting on board that the idea that Mika got "destroyed", we can see who caught it like that, and it wasn't her.

Especially when viewed in the context of who's still playing her. Both Nuckledu and Fuudo really play characters for their practical value. Neither one of them give a shit about Mika as a character; if that character is ever not cheap enough, they're going to go on the back of a milk carton. The fact that Fuudo especially is still focused on her says enough. He has standards for cheap stuff that you have to meet.

I don't think that was true of Chun. I actually think she was really lopsided in her moveset, it doesn't surprise me really that she isn't getting back off the ground. I'm less sure of Nash than Chun, honestly. I feel like he probably has more potential than her as things stand, but still has representation problems.

Dahbomb

We can agree that Cammy is the perfect fighting game character. You can't get more balanced than that.
I think she is about the right kind of good a top tier pixie character should be. It doesn't feel as unfair losing to her though her pressure is a bit too good with the grey HP change.

The 0-3 match up incoming.

Mika was the most destroyed character of S1 and she barely won anything.

breh

The problem isn't buffing characters -- the problem is that Capcom is being erratic about it. People ultimately want tech to use (and abuse) for their characters. Someone who played someone like Ryu or Chun who then watched their character get dumpstered or someone playing FANG or Alex and hoping for buffs and getting fuck-all while watching other characters get tons of juice is frustrating. And then there's characters like Guile and Cammy who have skated by with no real nerfs across multiple revisions.

The real solution here is to stop losing at character select, but that's a whole another matter. Capcom's communication being either nonexistent or completely bullshit isn't helping matters, either.

That doesn't make his comment any less gross.
whatcha doing here kumu 8)

Numb

"how many Ls we can fit into the name gilty, we already have two right now"
6398c934484f927d78318e635aa37336.png

Even though Chun was strong in S1, the players who were good had to play a solid game. It is not like she can out guess you out of a set, even with V-Trigger her damage conversions are pretty tame imo. I think she actually was fine in S1, she felt like a complete character (tbh it felt like more that the lower tiered characters were gimped than the top being too strong), effective in multiple ranges. IAL give her a reason to leave the ground, and people were getting used to AA it, with jabs, and some character could get a stronger normal to AA it. Speaking about her AA, but I don't think the st.lk AA was as bad as people complained about it. It was effective and quick, and gives her the momentum to dash up afterwords, but it seemed like other characters like Cammy or Necalli can easily have their rewards outweigh the risk of getting AA by a light normal.

jwhit28

Gllty seems like she needs a character that can help hide her execution errors but still allow her to be tricky. Laura maybe?

sephi22

Zhi is my favorite non-Mahvel commentator.
I'd take anyone besides James Chen and Skisonic though. Not really any bad regulars in the scene besides those two. (Skisonic doesn't show up much now though)

jett

D-Member
Let's please calm down with all this nerf talk especially when some of these top tiers are actually getting shaved down a bit in the next patch.

Rog's getting a single nerf: from 1025 health to 1000.

lol

If PrRog doesn't win Evo this year then he's never winning Evo.

Top Bottom