• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELEAGUE Street Fighter V Invitational hosted by TBS

chun solid mid tier

Tell that to Ricky

5fb06cc63a3564e2e2903576fafdc0b9.gif

Vice

I don't like how most chun players are running away like it's a sinking ship, she is still viable if you put some efforts into it.

If you want the money, or the wins, no point in working harder when you could pick up a Cammy, Urien, etc. who do what Chun does, but better.

I'm a little confused by the terminology they're using on the stream. Why they say a player has clinched a spot in the semifinals, what is that supposed to mean for the "regular season"? Or do they just automatically get a berth for the "playoffs"?

Vice

I'm a little confused by the terminology they're using on the stream. Why they say a player has clinched a spot in the semifinals, what is that supposed to mean for the "regular season"? Or do they just automatically get a berth for the "playoffs"?

Think of this as preseason. Top two, they make it to the playoffs. Everyone else has to play through the regular season.

FluxWaveZ

I take it Laura destroyed? Missed most of the matches, but that seems to be the ongoing topic.

It's weird how Japan dismissed Laura when Season 2 hit. Someone like Wolfkrone needs to go on a rampage so that they actually realize.

Think of this as preseason. Top two, they make it to the playoffs. Everyone else has to play through the regular season.

Going by the graphics on http://www.eleague.com/street-fighter-v/format, it says that the playoffs have 8 players total. That contradicts what you're saying

If the regular season were a single elimination bracket and winning prelims means you get a bye for the first round, that would line up with the number of players who advance.

Vice

I don't understand how the Japanese never thought Laura could be a problem this season.

Bad anti-airs, combo ability is lacking compared to most of the cast and a lot of her stuff is unsafe unless space well, like her fireballs. Risk appears higher than the reward compared to say Guile or Gief who lack as much mixup potential but can be played in a more "solid" way.

Going by the graphics on http://www.eleague.com/street-fighter-v/format, it says that the playoffs have 8 players total. That contradicts what you're saying

If the regular season were a single elimination bracket and winning prelims means you get a bye for the first round, that would line up with the number of players who advance.

I think that may be it.

FluxWaveZ

Bad anti-airs, combo ability is lacking compared to most of the cast and a lot of her stuff is unsafe unless space well, like her fireballs. Risk appears higher than the reward compared to say Guile or Gief who lack as much mixup potential but can be played in a more "solid" way.

Bull. Laura has good AAs, fantastic combos (which often lead to vortex situations), most of her stuff is safe (what do you mean a lot of her stuff is unsafe?). Her risk/reward game is oftentimes lopsided in her favor, and she has 1k HP, so she has the freedom to make a few mistakes. Plus, for the mistakes she makes, she gets more V-Trigger meter.

She has all the tools to be fundamentally sound, as well as fundamentally cheap.

I don't understand how the Japanese never thought Laura could be a problem this season.

They didn't think much of Rog either. A while back I remember watching Brain_F's stream and he was talking about his casual matches against some of the Japanese players at Final Round and they had no idea how to deal with TAP. 3-0'd Itazan mainly because he was waking up with TAP a lot and had no answer for it apparently. Japanese players are slipping! No arcade release is their downfall! :O

depths20XX

I take it Laura destroyed? Missed most of the matches, but that seems to be the ongoing topic.

It's weird how Japan dismissed Laura when Season 2 hit. Someone like Wolfkrone needs to go on a rampage so that they actually realize.

A lot of people sleep on a character until they see someone good rise up with them. Japan just didn't have any good Laura's.

Yudoken

Not gonna lie but I expected Wolfk getting through his bracket (but not as good as he did).

Laura currently kills it, she has so many tools and can put many opponents in a very difficult guessing positions with not many chances to defend themselves.

It's no coincidence that he played Viper, he does what he does and it fits perfectly well with his persona.

And if Smug plays against him I really hope he can take the win this time, it was too close in the last big showdown.

Even if it's a terrible matchup for Rog I'm sure Smug is prepared this time more than ever.

Laura's St.mp has no hurtbox and her qcf + hp has upper body invincibility that can clip cross up. She has the best out of any character.

Bull. Laura has good AAs, fantastic combos (which often lead to vortex situations), most of her stuff is safe (what do you mean a lot of her stuff is unsafe?). Her risk/reward game is oftentimes lopsided in her favor, and she has 1k HP, so she has the freedom to make a few mistakes. Plus, for the mistakes she makes, she gets more V-Trigger meter.

She has all the tools to be fundamentally sound, as well as fundamentally cheap.

Yep .
As soon as i saw the changes in season 2 i knew she would be trouble .
In a good player hands she is deadly .

mbpm1

Laura has 1K?

Damn

Regardless of opinions on how Krone is as a person, I love watching that Laura go. I don't even like laura.

I hope that if he has to lose he only loses to good play, and not himself.

Vice

Bull. Laura has good AAs, fantastic combos (which often lead to vortex situations), most of her stuff is safe (what do you mean a lot of her stuff is unsafe?). Her risk/reward game is oftentimes lopsided in her favor, and she has a 1k HP, so she has the freedom to make a few mistakes. Plus, for the mistakes she makes, she gets more V-Trigger meter.

I thought she was good in season one. Those are the complaints I saw and see about her most often.

By unsafe, I mean fireballs (negative on block and can be low profiled by every character aside from two S1 characters and I Kolin, I believe), V-skill still never gets punished so it's in that Ken run territory where it's surprising that it rarely gets punished even when you see a Laura do something like vskill in and out. Some of her more popular buttons to throw out like stand mk and stand hp end her pressure. Toward heavy punch is a simple whiff punish for most of the cast.
Lacks of combos comes down to lacking a medium -> medium link which a large portion of the cast have. But that's offset by her variety of meaty and counterhit setups like stand LK -> cr. mp.
As far as anti-airs, Laura has difficulty dealing with crossups, but better Lauras will vskill under in those scenarios as Krone did during Eleauge. Standing medium punch is great for general jumps in and heavy elbow is good for neutral jumps and poorly space jump ins but trades often in other scenarios.
Japan typically overrates characters who can be played in a very safe fashion in SFV so far. Looking at how highly many of their top players rate Bison this season is a good example of that.

But, I think she's probably a top three character in the game in actual play. She just appears lacking on paper compared to a Cammy, Urien or Balrog. Her season 2.5 changes won't change too much either and her bad matchups got worse so unless something else changes with her she'll be a solid top 3 or top 2 character.

mbpm1

lmao Floe talking about E League is pretty entertaining.

is he saying good things?

have to say, i thought e-league was kind of boring on day 1, still a little dry on day 2 but looking up, and day 3 was pretty good. The commentators get on well with Lewis now and the improved pacing means less interminable waiting. High level play is of course great, and the way things are directed makes it feel more like a show I would tune into.

It's fun.

Xeteh

is he saying good things?

have to say, i thought e-league was kind of boring on day 1, still a little dry on day 2 but looking up, and day 3 was pretty good. The commentators get on well with Lewis now and the improved pacing means less interminable waiting. High level play is of course great, and the way things are directed makes it feel more like a show I would tune into.

It's fun.

Yeah, he said he saw a lot of people talking about how ELeague is bad for the FGC and it sucks etcetc and he felt none of that was true. Thinks Richard Lewis is doing an awesome job of hosting because he's not pretending like he's some FGC master and actually acknowledging he doesn't know much about the game but asking great questions and letting the people who do know speak. Likened him to a dad to keep the kids (Steve, Zhi, Sajam and Zhi) from sticking forks in electrical sockets.

Top Bottom