• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELEAGUE Street Fighter V Invitational hosted by TBS

Yeah, he said he saw a lot of people talking about how ELeague is bad for the FGC and it sucks etcetc and he felt none of that was true. Thinks Richard Lewis is doing an awesome job of hosting because he's not pretending like he's some FGC master and actually acknowledging he doesn't know much about the game but asking great questions and letting the people who do know speak. Likened him to a dad to keep the kids (Steve, Zhi, Sajam and Zhi) from sticking forks in electrical sockets.

I think Floe's right on the money. ELeague's been winning me over. And yes the hosts have been doing a good job.

That bit of the interview where everyone is cracking up in the stands is the most hilarious stuff I've seen.

"He's still got the tag on his hat!"

KBrad's funny as fuck.

depths20XX

Richard Lewis has been great honestly. Don't think I've seen him before but I feel he's winning a lot of the FGC crowd over, and that's not an easy thing to do.

jett

D-Member
No idea why people think Eleague is bad for the FGC. Honestly I'm personally kinda tired of the same old broke-ass tournies with hundreds of entries and miserable prizes.

vulva

I don't like how most chun players are running away like it's a sinking ship, she is still viable if you put some efforts into it.
Just need to be the caliber of player who can win SBO with a broken hand and then you too can do well with a 43% win rate with her too!

Edit : closer to 33% since I don't think anyone counts the gootecks matches

Coda

E-League has been great, it's been getting me through a trip I'm currently on. The KBrad/Wolfkrone rivalry is really rather harmless when you look at other reality shows, hard to deny that the beef is legit. It's definitely entertaining to see what's going to be said or happen. All around it's been a crazy 3 days of super solid matches. I've personally been enjoying it a lot. Adds a different new flavor to the FGC.

Dahbomb

There was a clear and apparent difference in the way that MOV played Chun versus how Ricky played Chun. Even when MOV lost with Chun, it wasn't a complete blow out or him losing out matches because of some inherent weakness with the character.. they were close matches and he usually lost because of a bad guess/read or bad EX SBK (which he did a lot of).

Ricky just played mediocre/bad with Chun and clearly was not pushing the strength of the character as much as MOV was. Maybe Chun is indeed this terrible character that is totally not viable... but how can you really say that when you play Chun like that and then drop her? I can actually understand more if MOV drops her because it actually looks like he's pushing the character to the limits.

And this whole result oriented commentary on character strength is really getting irritating with such a small sample size. By this notion we should start asking for KBrad to switch characters because that Cammy isn't cutting it (1-6 in Eleague, almost G007ecks tier). Or start asking for Urien buffs because that character clearly hasn't done much in the tournament circuit. Or ask for Mika nerfs again because that character has been doing so much work. Hell Tokido did about as well as MOV, where are all the people demanding he switch characters too? People are just ASKING for another Sentinel/Nash type situation here.

Players can have bad tournaments even a bad season/stretch of months. Character strength isn't just restricted to performance of a tournament that happened a day ago, a week ago or even a month ago.

Firestorm

Going by the graphics on http://www.eleague.com/street-fighter-v/format, it says that the playoffs have 8 players total. That contradicts what you're saying

If the regular season were a single elimination bracket and winning prelims means you get a bye for the first round, that would line up with the number of players who advance.
The Regular Season bracket is split into two parts: a double elimination and single elimination bracket.

• Top 2 from Preliminary move straight to the single elimination bracket.
  • Bottom 2 from Preliminary get eliminated.
  • Middle 4 from Preliminary move to the double elimination bracket. Winner of the double elim moves on to play #2 seed from Prelim in single elim. Loser of double elim moves on to play #1 seed from Prelim in single elim.

The winner of the playoff stage is seeded into the winner's bracket of Top 8 finals. Runner up is seeded into loser's bracket of Top 8 finals.

Baleoce

AZV2Pew.jpg

I'm a bit late to the photoshop party, but still xD

XenoRaven

There was a clear and apparent difference in the way that MOV played Chun versus how Ricky played Chun. Even when MOV lost with Chun, it wasn't a complete blow out or him losing out matches because of some inherent weakness with the character.. they were close matches and he usually lost because of a bad guess/read or bad EX SBK (which he did a lot of).

Ricky just played mediocre/bad with Chun and clearly was not pushing the strength of the character as much as MOV was. Maybe Chun is indeed this terrible character that is totally not viable... but how can you really say that when you play Chun like that and then drop her? I can actually understand more if MOV drops her because it actually looks like he's pushing the character to the limits.

And this whole result oriented commentary on character strength is really getting irritating with such a small sample size. By this notion we should start asking for KBrad to switch characters because that Cammy isn't cutting it (1-6 in Eleague, almost G007ecks tier). Or start asking for Urien buffs because that character clearly hasn't done much in the tournament circuit. Or ask for Mika nerfs again because that character has been doing so much work. Hell Tokido did about as well as MOV, where are all the people demanding he switch characters too? People are just ASKING for another Sentinel/Nash type situation here.

Players can have bad tournaments even a bad season/stretch of months. Character strength isn't just restricted to performance of a tournament that happened a day ago, a week ago or even a month ago.
It's not just result oriented. It comes from knowing how the nerfs affect her and from playing the character as well. Every Chun player I've talked to is frustrated. Not because she's not top tier, but because they hit her too hard.

You're correct in saying you don't want to make your balance changes based on one or two tournaments. But Chun is straight up bad right now. As are Nash and Ryu. We don't need a huge sample size to see that at this point.

This is one of the most entertaining tournaments I've seen in a long time.
Production values are fantastic. It's kept me up way late the last few nights (I'm in the UK).

This is one of the most entertaining tournaments I've seen in a long time.
Production values are fantastic. It's kept me up way late the last few nights (I'm in the UK).

I always fall asleep the last 1-2hours but last episode were amazing. I watched the Kbrad beef from yesterday aswell as the segment from 2 weeks and its everything why I love the fgc.

crash-14

I didn't now all the drama the tournament was causing in other TO's (Specially EVO crew).

It looks like FGC can't have good things if they aren't involved... Kinda elitist, might say.

rugioh

Banned
I didn't now all the drama the tournament was causing in other TO's (Specially EVO crew).

It looks like FGC can't have good things if they aren't involved... Kinda elitist, might say.

MrWizard can't enjoy anything that flourishes without benefit to him and his pockets, nothing new

pixelish

i just find it so ironic that the evo crew is bitching about how esports should be running a tournament catered to the fgc when they were the first group of people to sell out the fgc to esports.

Baleoce

What a complete douche.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/847336427436220416

https://mobile.twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/847336835244150784

https://mobile.twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/847344828337635330

By the way, RLewis writes for Breitbart, in case you didn't know.

He's also banned from Dreamhack for choking a Dota player, so he's one to talk about security at events.

Ignoring all the bickering that ensued, I think Davids original point doesn't really make sense to me. He was arguing that the players / game should create the hype, and not the production. But in the case of this tournament, all three were creating it. I don't see what's wrong about that. Surely that's ideal?

MrCarter

What a complete douche.

He's also banned from Dreamhack for choking a Dota player, so he's one to talk about security at events.

Good. I think Ultra David needed to be taken down a peg or two. He constantly whines about everything he's not involved in.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
What a complete douche.

I don't agree with UltraDavid at all. He comes off hella whiny.

Seeing him and the EVO people acting all offended get the fuck out of here. Does one need to pull shit up from past FGC events that far surpasses this.

Good shit to ESL this is one of the best FGC "eSport" events.

pixelish

MrCarter

To be honest, one of the reasons why I'm enjoying this tourney is because Ultra David is not a part of it. Give me Zhi any day of the week.

CurlyW

Ignoring all the bickering that ensued, I think Davids original point doesn't really make sense to me. He was arguing that the players / game should create the hype, and not the production. But in the case of this tournament, all three were creating it. I don't see what's wrong about that. Surely that's ideal?

He was specifically talking about how the EL broadcast put the security guard on camera as a joke, when it wasn't necessary.

Skilletor

To be honest, one of the reasons why I'm enjoying this tourney is because Ultra David is not a part of it. Give me Zhi any day of the week.

Nah, fuck Zhi. Don't need any X lives matter or jokes about travel bans when somebody is playing Rashid. Also don't like the constant use of thuggery when two black players are the subject, and definitely don't like how it looks that they felt they had to have security closer when two black players with a history were on set.

I realize it might not be racially motivated, but that doesn't make me feel better about it, and it's certainly not a good look for the community.

Top Bottom