• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELEAGUE Street Fighter V Invitational hosted by TBS

Lulubop

EL has def been taking feedback well though, from the stage music and better commercial breaks. I just wish they had all the alts and colors unlocked now.

Hyun Sai

I was dead laughing when they showed the security guard, and I'm sure I was not the only one.

Those guys must be extremely sensitive if they're easily offended like that.

Minus the long breaks of the start, tournament is a 10/10.

crash-14

He was specifically talking about how the EL broadcast put the security guard on camera as a joke, when it wasn't necessary.

Theatrical purpose are great. They work on WWE pretty well for example. It's pretty common on TV.

Who ever wasn't able to catch the joke as a joke and got offended by it should check their sense of humor man...

To be honest, one of the reasons why I'm enjoying this tourney is because Ultra David is not a part of it. Give me Zhi any day of the week.

Yeah, I appreciate the Ultrachen dynamic but it's good to give the new bloods some air time. Btw, I've always liked SFV despite the rocky start but the game finally seems to be gaining momentum and it's actually entertaining to see.

Tik-Tok

That is a super minor complaint (and UD even admits to it) but Lewis' response was definitely over the top.

I don't understand how that dudes gonna talk shit to David, who is simply providing his opinion as requested, and then expect all the other people there to wanna be cool with him for the rest of the time there? Did he forget that the C in FGC stands for community?

mbpm1

I don't understand how that dudes gonna talk shit to David, who is simply providing his opinion as requested, and then expect all the other people there to wanna be cool with him for the rest of the time there? Did he forget that the C in FGC stands for community?

Lewis was probably just triggered by some of the other people shitting on the event in truth and thought david was doing it too I think

GeoNeo

I disagree.
I was dead laughing when they showed the security guard, and I'm sure I was not the only one.

Those guys must be extremely sensitive if they're easily offended like that.

Minus the long breaks of the start, tournament is a 10/10.

Looked to me the viewers were loving it going by Twitch chat. But, it's funny seeing the people that have great influence act like FGC is all serious and can't make jokes anymore and paint ESL as pushing some sort of agenda.

Heh, funny enough some of these people never turned around and outright banned Sherry's Stalker after her heart felt post she had made. Go figure.

Ignoring all the bickering that ensued, I think Davids original point doesn't really make sense to me. He was arguing that the players / game should create the hype, and not the production. But in the case of this tournament, all three were creating it. I don't see what's wrong about that. Surely that's ideal?

Someone associated with a rival FGC product has no positives to say about rival FGC products. In other breaking news, Coke doesn't think Pepsi is all that great and Burger King has doubts on the quality of McDonald's food.

Skilletor

Looked to me the viewers were loving it going by Twitch chat. But, it's funny seeing the people that have great influence act like FGC is all serious and can't make jokes anymore and paint ESL as pushing some sort of agenda.

Heh, funny enough some of these people never turned around and outright banned Sherry's Stalker after her heart felt post she had made. Go figure.

Since when is twitch chat an indication of a good joke?

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Since when is twitch chat an indication of a good joke?

Since it's their target audience on a platform they are streaming on?

Vast majority of Twitter was loving it too. But, I guess only NeoGaf's opinion matters? If so most people here seem to have enjoyed it too.

Dahbomb

If they had dialed back on the jokes/comedy/ham, then the same people would be accusing the event of being sterile and too EEEEsports.

I liked the cut to the security, it had good comedic timing. I do not think it was racially charged like other people do.

I think the Lewis guy definitely overreacted to minor criticism (and he seems like he has some thin skin) but the Eleague guys are taking feedback into consideration as they adjusted match to commercial ratio from the first couple of groups.

Skilletor

If they had dialed back on the jokes/comedy/ham, then the same people would be accusing the event of being sterile and too EEEEsports.

I liked the cut to the security, it had good comedic timing. I do not think it was racially charged like other people do.

I think the Lewis guy definitely overreacted to minor criticism (and he seems like he has some thin skin) but the Eleague guys are taking feedback into consideration as they adjusted match to commercial ratio from the first couple of groups.

I don't think it was racially charged. I think it's entirely possible for people to construe it that way if you're not familiar with the FGC, combined with terms like "thuggery." If FGC is going to be eSports, I think it needs to be careful how they portray its players to people that aren't familiar with the "stories."

The entire thing, along with Zhi's shitty commentary on the subject, had me cringing.

Since it's their target audience on a platform they are streaming on?

Vast majority of Twitter was loving it too. But, I guess only NeoGaf's opinion matters? If so most people here seem to have enjoyed it too.

Well, as long as they're appealing to one of the most toxic chat cultures I've ever seen, that's okay, I guess.

MrCarter

Nah, fuck Zhi. Don't need any X lives matter or jokes about travel bans when somebody is playing Rashid. Also don't like the constant use of thuggery when two black players are the subject, and definitely don't like how it looks that they felt they had to have security closer when two black players with a history were on set.

I realize it might not be racially motivated, but that doesn't make me feel better about it, and it's certainly not a good look for the community.

Nah I think it's the community itself that encourages that behaviour with those silly memes about "thuggery" and whatnot and I think Zhi just capitalises on that with the audience. Don't think any racial connotation was implied there either as we all knew thier history these past few months.

So far, the event has garnered a lot of positive vibes on here, Reddit and across social media but when internal friction begins because a) they were not invited b) think it's not "a good look" that's when it becomes tiresome and petty. Floe's tweet said it best - lots of hypocrisy going around.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
Well, as long as they're appealing to one of the most toxic chat cultures I've ever seen, that's okay, I guess.

What about the people on NeoGAF that enjoyed it? Are we toxic?

Are people that enjoyed KBRAD getting in Wolfkrone's face like he did just a few weeks a go toxic too?

Baleoce

Someone associated with a rival FGC product has no positives to say about rival FGC products. In other breaking news, Coke doesn't think Pepsi is all that great and Burger King has doubts on the quality of McDonald's food.

Except that I don't personally believe David is that petty. Also, he has had positive things to say about it.

https://twitter.com/ultradavid/status/847299955886706688

I'm simply debating the specific point he made.

Sykotik

I think this event has been great. The security guard during K-Brad and Wolfkrone's match had me cracking up. That whole segment had me cracking up. Gootecks, Marn. The commentary.

Good stuff.

Dahbomb

Yeah we can definitely dial back on the usage of thuggery, that's so 2016. It was funny for like a week now it's just a tired meme.

CurlyW

Are people that enjoyed KBRAD getting in Wolfkrone's face like he did just a few weeks a go toxic too?

Point me out the security guard that was present at Final Round for KBrad vs Wolfkrone. Or where it needed one?

mbpm1

Fuck, now I'm really bothered to know RLewis is an alt-righter.

Apparently he's been declared persona non grata for being turned up like this all the time in the lol community and choked someone at an event?

Well, he's only doing this event, so it's eh. The show itself is great.

I think this event has been great. The security guard during K-Brad and Wolfkrone's match had me cracking up. That whole segment had me cracking up. Gootecks, Marn. The commentary.

Good stuff.
Re invite g007ecks next year and get him to dress up as James bond for the nastiest memes :p

Skilletor

Nah I think it's the community itself that encourages that behaviour with those silly memes about "thuggery" and whatnot and I think Zhi just capitalises on that with the audience. Don't think any racial connotation was implied there either as we all knew thier history these past few months.

So far, the event has garnered a lot of positive vibes on here, Reddit and across social media but when internal friction begins because a) they were not invited b) think it's not "a good look" that's when it becomes tiresome and petty. Floe's tweet said it best - lots of hypocrisy going around.

No, we all didn't know.

I have no interest in continuing this conversation. I've said my piece on it.

crash-14

Nah, fuck Zhi. Don't need any X lives matter or jokes about travel bans when somebody is playing Rashid. Also don't like the constant use of thuggery when two black players are the subject, and definitely don't like how it looks that they felt they had to have security closer when two black players with a history were on set.

In the last two points, you're the one bringing up racism.

Zhi calls out thuggery when the player acts that way. He doesn't talk about thuggery when Snake Eyez it's involved since he's not that kind of guy. It's about how the players have acted during they interviews or past showings on tournaments. No one on the FGC sees the word "thuggery" as other thing than a joke to being streamly cocky and trash-talker

Same goes for the security. It's not because they were black... It's because the beef had scaled into some serious matter. But it'll have been the same if the exact situation involved Justin-Krone or Champ-KBR on Marvel.

Baleoce

The most offensive thing so far has been Gootecks's getup (and his gameplay), let's be honest.

Gootecks' getup has been one of the more refreshing things imo. It gets boring seeing the majority of players in their sponsored jersey. Need people to have a bit more fun / creativity with it. His gameplay, well I'm not gonna argue there. But like others have said, he might've gone 0-7, but he still ended up winning.

Zhi calls out thuggery when the player acts that way. He doesn't talk about thuggery when Snake Eyez it's involved since he's not that kind of guy. It's about how the players have acted during they interviews or past showings on tournaments. No one on the FGC sees the word "thuggery" as other thing than a joke to being streamly cocky and trash-talker

Same goes for the security. It's not because they were black... It's because the beef was had scaled into some serious matter. But it'll have been the same if the exact situation involved Justin-Krone or Champ-KBR on Marvel.

Maximum Thuggery!

Doomshine

UltraDavid's popularity sure dropped after that end of year show.

Anyway, I personally didn't mind the security guard "joke" but I can also see why some would find it in poor taste. From what I understand the security guard was not there as a joke, but they turned it into one by focusing on him on camera.

Hyun Sai

It's been kind of an awkward event. I'm not sure I'm into the esports FGC, especially if it's going to have more pro wrestling type stuff going on.

We had much worse in non Esport events.

---------------------------------
And this is WAAAAAY overblown. Of all those matches from the start with good attitude, it takes ONE moment to have this WWE meme starting up ? Come on.

CurlyW

Well according to RLewis in some of those tweets, the security guard was there because they were legitimately worried that something would happen. The joke was simply putting him on camera for that one match.

Skilletor

Same goes for the security. It's not because they were black... It's because the beef was had scaled into some serious matter. But it'll have been the same if the exact situation involved Justin-Krone or Champ-KBR on Marvel.

eSports isn't supposed to just appeal to "people in the FGC."

I've said what I'm going to. I think the event has been awesome. That part made me cringe. Not worth wasting any more time talking about.

Blueblur1

What a complete douche.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/847336427436220416

https://mobile.twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/847336835244150784

https://mobile.twitter.com/RLewisReports/status/847344828337635330

By the way, RLewis writes for Breitbart, in case you didn't know.

He's also banned from Dreamhack for choking a Dota player, so he's one to talk about security at events.

I feel like its spreading. I just had an NRG esports writer lash out at me on Twitter because I don't agree with the concept of Cross Counter Training. Then after I blocked him (because he's ignoring all my points and only cares about what he has to say) he tweeted about it to RLewis as if its something worth boasting about.

Yeah we can definitely dial back on the usage of thuggery, that's so 2016. It was funny for like a week now it's just a tired meme.

Is Thuggery still in Capcom's rules? lol. I think the new thing is seeing how many times you can say Ninja Dagger, Sajam threw that out like 30 times in one match.

GeoNeo

I disagree.

I've seen MrWiz himself post tweets with the whole Thuggery meme and he is the face of Evo.

Clearly some people here and on other parts of the web did not get the Security guard "bit" or feel like it had some motives behind it fair enough but a ton of people took it as a joke and enjoyed it.

MrCarter

No, we all didn't know.

I have no interest in continuing this conversation. I've said my piece on it.

Oh c'mon you're being pedantic. "We" as in the people part of the FGC community - which is the majority of the audience watching this event. Most people have seemed to enjoy this event, not just Twitch, so there is no need to bury your head in the sand when someone points out that fact by shutting the convo down. I respect and understand what you are saying but I have to say I disagree with you on this. Anyway, I think I'll stay off this convo now and just enjoy the rest of the event!

CurlyW

Most people find Big Bang Theory hilarious. Therefore people who don't find Big Bang Theory hilarious should be executed.

crash-14

eSports isn't supposed to just appeal to "people in the FGC."

I've said what I'm going to. I think the event has been awesome. That part made me cringe. Not worth wasting any more time talking about.

TBS and E-League think those elements totally can appeal to non-FGC members. Time will tell if they're right.

What I don't like it's when people tent to dramatize and not contextualize jokes cuz you feel that controversial issues are in someway involved. Just like that stupid drama involving T-Bag at KIWC.

Some of you should take life less serious and discern better when things can really be offensive and introduce bad connotations on purpose.

CurlyW

Oh c'mon you're being pedantic. "We" as in the people part of the FGC community - which is the majority of the audience watching this event. Most people have seemed to enjoy this event, not just Twitch, so there is no need to bury your head in the sand when someone points out that fact by shutting the convo down. I respect and understand what you are saying but I have to say I disagree with you on this. Anyway, I think I'll stay off this convo now and just enjoy the rest of the event!

UltraDavid suddenly no longer in the FGC despite playing fighting games competitively since Super Turbo.

Skilletor

TBS and E-League think those elements totally can appeal to non-FGC members. Time will tell if they're right.

What I don't like it's when people tent to dramatize and not contextualize jokes cuz you feel that controversial issues are in someway involved. Just like that stupid drama involving T-Bag at KIWC.

Some of you should take life less serious and discern better when things can really be offensive and introduce bad connotations on purpose.

I don't think it was racially charged. I think it's entirely possible for people to construe it that way if you're not familiar with the FGC, combined with terms like "thuggery." If FGC is going to be eSports, I think it needs to be careful how they portray its players to people that aren't familiar with the "stories."

The entire thing, along with Zhi's shitty commentary on the subject, had me cringing.

Top Bottom