• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elite Dangerous: Horizons |OT| Just scratching the surface

Widge

So whats a good upgrade goal to set for yourself with regards to ships ?

I just got the PS4 version and I'm in the sidewinder doing data deliveries for the most when I find some.

EDIT: Just undocked. The server lagged apparently ? I crashed in the station...

EDIT: I love the radio chatter you get when exiting from a station.

All I wanted to do was get to a Cobra MKIII as my first milestone. The classic.

I remember when taking it out of the space station for the first time, I almost ploughed into the wall. Think Poe Dameron's "whoa! This thing really moves!"...

DrkSage

Holy shit... second training mission (warp drive + docking etc) felt like getting your drivers license all over again, with docking being comparable to parallel parking

All I wanted to do was get to a Cobra MKIII as my first milestone. The classic.

I remember when taking it out of the space station for the first time, I almost ploughed into the wall. Think Poe Dameron's "whoa! This thing really moves!"...

I think I'm going to go with Camp Freddies and your talk about the Cobra MKIII as my upgrade ship.

This game is hella fun man. I'm just being a space trucker for the time being, found some really good contracts in LHS 3447 system with 100k+ rewards for 1 jump deliveries.

Going to do those and upgrade as soon as I can.

Is it possible to bookmark stations ?

Venom.

Elite Dangerous is a masterclass in BAD game design.

This is not a review based on having played the game for hundreds of hours of gameplay exploring all the different elements. It is based on the second pre-game tutorial where after spending over an hour i still can't fucking dock my ship!

Seriously, first of all I spent an age trying to get my ship to the space station, every time I got near I overshot then heard a sarcastic voice taunting me saying 'really, again!' Then when I did get in the vicinity it would say good and tell me to request landing permission but the game doesn't tell you how to do this, so by the time I find the option I overshot and had to do it all again.

Now I'm in the space station and I have a bay pointed out to me. I fly near to it with landing gear out and i fly very near on top and nothing happens. Then I am overshooting it and crashing around, why when i'm on top of it cant an auto-land take place? Why two difficult steps to land?

The worst thing is the second tutorial makes so many assumptions on your level of knowledge when it should only assume you know what it's showed you which is not very much. If it is a tutorial it should at least tell me how to land and if it sees I can't do it then show me how.

Of course the argument can be made that I'm not very intelligent etc. or that other people don't have a problem. But there shouldn't be such a steep learning curve at the start of a game. I've only persevered because of my nostalgia for the Spectrum and Amiga games and I backed this on Kickstarter but any other game I would have given up and kicked up a fuss to get a refund.

I will try some more but this isn't fun.

Peroroncino

Don't get discouraged, when I tried my hand at landing for the first time I slammed into 5 or 6 adjacent buildings like a pinball barely surviving, then, after I got accustomed to controls it became a second nature.

Takes a while though, and I had to make some changes e.g. rolling my ship is assigned to the right analogue axis, not left like it's default.

The begining hours are the toughest. The landings are intentially complex unless you install an auto-landing module, but then you lose space you could devote to something more useful. When landing, remember that you can click the stick to change the camera/steering mode. Makes it easier to strafe left and right, or switch to rotating your ship when you’re landing. Also, remember that you need to face a specific direction to land. If you’re lined up and its not letting you, spin 180 and face the other direction, then try again.

akira28

lol then he proceeds to criticize poorly the ONE thing Elite does extremely well, flight and control of the ship.

You are literally learning to fly a vehicle, so for the moment, pretend you're not playing a game and that you're actually trying to learn something. Once you know how to fly, you can start to have fun. But if you can't hit the mailslot, maybe skip the toot and go fly around the asteroids and get used to controlling your craft.
You might need to redesign your control scheme. For the longest I was using joytstick for regular flight and keyboard for directional thrust until I got my flightstick setup worked out, by then I could perform acrobatic tricks in the doorway of the station. And land, while drunk, in my sleep.

DrkSage

This is not a review based on having played the game for hundreds of hours of gameplay exploring all the different elements. It is based on the second pre-game tutorial where after spending over an hour i still can't fucking dock my ship!

Seriously, first of all I spent an age trying to get my ship to the space station, every time I got near I overshot then heard a sarcastic voice taunting me saying 'really, again!' Then when I did get in the vicinity it would say good and tell me to request landing permission but the game doesn't tell you how to do this, so by the time I find the option I overshot and had to do it all again.

Now I'm in the space station and I have a bay pointed out to me. I fly near to it with landing gear out and i fly very near on top and nothing happens. Then I am overshooting it and crashing around, why when i'm on top of it cant an auto-land take place? Why two difficult steps to land?

The worst thing is the second tutorial makes so many assumptions on your level of knowledge when it should only assume you know what it's showed you which is not very much. If it is a tutorial it should at least tell me how to land and if it sees I can't do it then show me how.

Of course the argument can be made that I'm not very intelligent etc. or that other people don't have a problem. But there shouldn't be such a steep learning curve at the start of a game. I've only persevered because of my nostalgia for the Spectrum and Amiga games and I backed this on Kickstarter but any other game I would have given up and kicked up a fuss to get a refund.

Always look at the indicators (blue).

I'm doing that same training mission a couple of times just to get the landing ok. Never once did I over shoot or crashed.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Feels bad.
Popped this into my PS4 in order to get lost in the stars for a few hours, but can't because my new Frontier Store account verification email/code is stuck in limbo.
Feels bad.

I've only persevered because of my nostalgia for the Spectrum and Amiga games and I backed this on Kickstarter but any other game I would have given up and kicked up a fuss to get a refund.

Have you forgotten docking in the original games?

Just takes a little practice. Indicator will be blue when on target, lower self gently to pad with gear down. No harder than a rousing game of Space Taxi.

Kyoufu

If you don't like docking, buy a docking computer. There are a lot of things wrong with E:D but flight and physics are not one of them.

Venom.

lol then he proceeds to criticize poorly the ONE thing Elite does extremely well, flight and control of the ship.

You are literally learning to fly a vehicle, so for the moment, pretend you're not playing a game and that you're actually trying to learn something. Once you know how to fly, you can start to have fun. But if you can't hit the mailslot, maybe skip the toot and go fly around the asteroids and get used to controlling your craft.
You might need to redesign your control scheme. For the longest I was using joytstick for regular flight and keyboard for directional thrust until I got my flightstick setup worked out, by then I could perform acrobatic tricks in the doorway of the station. And land, while drunk, in my sleep.

Akira28, to be fair I made clear my opinion was not an objective review of the full game but of my experience not being able to dock!

Anyway, I watched a video, read some internet, slowed down my ship a bit, used thrusters down and... I did it! I reckon I will be able to do it again. But what makes it more difficult is that if you don't do it quite right there seem to be some anti-magnetic field that flings your ship away into the sides of the space station. So not beginner friendly at all.

It's good that you mention you have to learn to fly because it's like a (space) flight simulator and that necessitates a learning curve. I will go back and complete my training and then start the game proper and buy a docking computer!

the controls for landing are about the worst thing I've ever experienced

I can't figure how to land at all. If I even get close and touch down, my ship turns upside and I'm propelled backwards.

DrkSage

the controls for landing are about the worst thing I've ever experienced

I can't figure how to land at all. If I even get close and touch down, my ship turns upside and I'm propelled backwards.

I got it down this way:

(This is my way of doing it)

Instead of entering and keep going straight, stop and turn the ship so the dock is vertical, go up to your docking station, look at it straight, return to horizontal position and go down slowly.

There's probably better ways but that's the most effective I've found for me

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

Heh, I've never actually done any of the tutorial missions. I'm not even sure they were in the game back at 1.0? I pretty much just logged in and flew around crashing into things and experimenting until I taught myself how to fly and stuff. Killed a few Sidewinders that way, but it worked itself out eventually. :)

Neolombax

Is the combat in this game exciting? I understand that its more of being a space sim rather than a shooter. I've looked up some videos and the combat seems to be pretty basic, is that accurate?

Anyhow, the game seems as though it can be a pretty daunting experience, especially for one who can't commit to large amounts of time investment.

Urthor

Is the combat in this game exciting? I understand that its more of being a space sim rather than a shooter. I've looked up some videos and the combat seems to be pretty basic, is that accurate?

Anyhow, the game seems as though it can be a pretty daunting experience, especially for one who can't commit to large amounts of time investment.

Absolutely not, the flight sim aspect of the game isn't realistic but is still incredibly in depth because of flight assist off mode, aka you are in space with semi-realistic inertia obeying all of newton's laws have fun with that.

The bad part of Elite is the netcode, the absurd approach to the amount of hours you need to invest for upgrades, and the lack of content. The good part is the flight model which is really good.

Okay so I've sat for about 3 hours saying to myself that this will be the last delivery.

Got the Cobra III, now I need to set a new goal for myself. I'm thinking a transport ship to try to some of those sight seeing missions where you have passengers and also try out some exploration down the line.

If anyone wants to play my username is UziPinkyRing and I think my commander name is Eskeddit

akira28

Akira28, to be fair I made clear my opinion was not an objective review of the full game but of my experience not being able to dock!

lol, I'll cut you some slack, I understand the frustration. lol oh man will this game give you some real teary highs and true angry and spitting lows.

But what makes it more difficult is that if you don't do it quite right there seem to be some anti-magnetic field that flings your ship away into the sides of the space station. So not beginner friendly at all.

that might actually be a physics engine glitch... but once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to boost into stations, and land in under 10 seconds. Its a skill you learn if you do enough smuggling. Get the Han Solo special, Asp Explorer and put some A rateds on it and wow.

and like Mengy said, years back the tutorials were extremely barebones, and you actually got more out of just flying the really cheap sideys and eagles and crashing them into things until you don't anymore. I haven't revisted them either, but don't let them stop you from trial by fire. stick to your first star system and become a ranked pilot.

kyser73

I think you misrememberd how hard docking was in the original version.

It was the hardest thing to learn, which is why almost every single player guide at the time recommended you get a Docking Computer as soon as you could.

So, what are the general impressions on the PS4 version? I love Elite and am up for putting some serious time into this, but how is it performance wise?

Helznicht

On PC? If so invest in a HOTAS and your difficulties will disappear. One I use:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CXYMFS/ref=psdc_172487_t2_B00371R8P4

https://youtu.be/tRsTTGjCgQU?t=531

If your on console, I tried the early access on xbox with a pad and
giphy.gif

Sibylus

Banned
Landing (and flying in general) is cake on an Xbox controller. You just have to negotiate the learning curve whatever control scheme you use.

It's so awesome seeing all you new ED players learning the ropes! Welcome! Ive been playing on the Xbox since Early Access. It's a great game with a great community. The best advice is to do the training excercises and be patient. The game is hard to learn but is awesome when it "clicks".

I know how to make money in space... however I'm not sure how to make it on planets with SRV, any tips?

Your scanner will give off certain tones and waves based on what it finds. Like minerals, crash sites, bases. Etc. you'll get used to understanding the difference the more you play. You can also look online for what each means. At crash sites you can find canisters that have gold, platinum, ores, etc. which can be sold on the commodities market. You can also find bases that have data links you can scan to collect data and sell at bases within the same Star system.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Here comes the kicker: Taking missions as Wings is not supported. And it hasn't been, since Wings was introduced shortly after the vanilla release. Edit: Not to mention that pre 2.2 (release two years after Wings update!), "winging up" meant that your payouts were practically divided by the number of players in your wing. No, there never was an enemy or reward scaling of any sort for wings and you can practically do everything alone. In 2.2 they realized that was an idiotic penalty discouraging cooperative PvE and introduced full symmetric payouts as a crutch.

There are few missions you can sensibly do as a wing, but it's a bit of a pita. Namely massacre missions, but everybody has to take the same mission by themselves and then you can go to a conflict zone (unstructured pub brawl in spaceships, Elite's representation of a "war" *rollseyes*) and kill your targets together. Have fun finding appropriate places to do it though, as the game doesn't tell you shit. There's a system in a war state? 15 minutes to go there, another ten to check out whether it has appropriate missions and conflict zones, another 20 minutes to get your friends there. That's assuming you hit gold on your first try. Want to do another run the next evening? Oh, we're sorry, the war state has just ended (lasts some 3 days iirc?) and the missions have dried up. Better luck next time!

It's good fun when it works, but the whole experience is so cumbersome that we've stopped bothering. Evening game time with friends has turned out to be more valuable than that for us.

Yeah like Burny said above, it's not exactly a pick up and play experience either alone or with friends. Winging up isn't very streamlined or explicitly supported via the mission board. Essentially you'd have to all dock at the same station and accept the same missions. Winging up in a Conflict Zone or a RES site is far more intuitive and easy to accomplish.

Thanks for the detailed replies, chaps (assuming most of us here are chaps...)
I went ahead and bought it (having a blast so far), but it's good to have these things in mind for when my buddy and I get it together.

Jeez this is fun!

This is like Eve Online spreadsheets but with wayyy more interactivity.

Love the screens in the cockpit being 'live' and stuff. The whole interface and HUD is very cool. Must be great in VR.

I think I'm going to buy Horizon right now actually.

I feel the same way! The live cockpit is so cool. Looking at something to activate it and then quickly flicking through with the d-pad while simultaneously controlling your ship is something I've never done before.

How is the performance on base PS4 guys?

Feels pretty stable. There's a bit of lag when dropping out of FTL, or when opening the main in-station interface, but everything else is buttery smooth.

Yes that unlocks the camera to look around but you do so by tilting the controller. It's extremely awkward. I'd prefer just to use the right stick.

I had a quick look but noped out after seeing the amount of options. If I figure it out tonight I'll post it here. It does seem pretty strange and I'm sure there's an obvious solution.

You can toggle Sixaxis and right stick headlook under Options > Controls > Headlook (expand + menu near the bottom)

Is this version of the game single player supported...And most importantly....OFFLINE?!

There is no offline.

You can select a mode to play with you as the only human and everything else as AI.

I think Solo mode is offline. You don't need PS+ for it, at least.

Holy shit... second training mission (warp drive + docking etc) felt like getting your drivers license all over again, with docking being comparable to parallel parking

If you don't like docking, buy a docking computer. There are a lot of things wrong with E:D but flight and physics are not one of them.

I love the fact that everything is manual. Sets the game apart from anything else I've played on PS4.
Takes me back to playing Falcon 4.0 on PC, and reading through that brick of an instruction book.
Feels incredible when everything goes right.

I love to play the Interstellar soundtrack while playing this game. Totally nerd out.

Oh man. I was thinking of making a Spotify playlist specifically for ED. Good shout!

The game's score is really good, though. I'll let it rock for a while longer before going with custom music.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I wish they'd get rid of engineers already lol
Every time I play a bit and I start enjoying the game I"m reminded by how anti fun the engineer grind is and log off again.

Kyoufu

I wish they'd get rid of engineers already lol
Every time I play a bit and I start enjoying the game I"m reminded by how anti fun the engineer grind is and log off again.

The Engineers grind is so ridiculous. I don't know how anyone bothers grinding all the resources needed.

They should at least let players buy/sell these resources on the black market, like an auction house thing.

DrBo42

The Engineers grind is so ridiculous. I don't know how anyone bothers grinding all the resources needed.

They should at least let players buy/sell these resources on the black market, like an auction house thing.

Oh, a living player economy? Imagine that.

Elite definitely can be exciting to see combat. I would suggest looking up Isinona for probably the best streaming pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0Gxk7NYK4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxUTuzIjG_E

Expert flying is a real joy to watch in the game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I mod all of my ships with Grade 5 FSD's, and then a few ships with lightweight mods and such to increase their range even further, and then a couple with dirty drives for speed, but that's as far as I'll go with the engineers. I've not modded one weapon or anything else, other than to level engineers up if I had to.

Someday I'd like to level all of the engineers up to level 5, and I'd like to mod the shit ouf of my FDL to turn it into a Bulldozer of Death, but no time soon.

Docking is the best part of the game. Granted it does take a little practice but it isn't hard. Also make sure you are facing the right way on the dock or else nothing will happen.

Re Landings

I have some time so a few pointers in the process. Landing isn't complicated but it is methodical. You'll need to have a list of things to go through to make sure you get it right and once you become more familiar it will make it easy.

*image heavy*

Ok first thing here is to make sure you have landing clearance from the station, second is to watch traffic to see if people are coming out or going in to avoid collisions. If there is a lot of traffic you will get an audio message with something about traffic.

Next you want to line up with the mailbox to begin your ingress into the station. Make sure you begin a soft rotation to to sync yourself with the station's rotation. It will happen automatically when you are close, but it is easier to track if you do it yourself.

Now as you are about to enter the slot give another check for traffic, and then make sure to double check you have clearance and the number of your landing pad. Reduce power down to 50%

As soon as you cross the threshold reduce power down to 30% and the first thing you do is make sure you are not blocking the slot. Second look around and find your pad. Once you locate it, now rotate to make your horizon line up with the pad (so the pad is ground the center of the station is the sky).

Now as you make you approach to the pad, see the for lines on the in front of the pad and the three on the pad itself? That is what you will use to find your center-line. Align your nose first in the center of the 4, then directly with the center on the pad itself.

Here you will be on short and final approach. Deploy the landing gear which will arrest most of your motion and begin to approach the pad keeping your center line. Double check gear is down as you get closer. And reduce altitude as you close in.

At this point the map turns into an external view of the pad and you ship. From here on out will focus entirely on this and not out of the cockpit. Reduce the throttle to 5% or full stop and bring you ship into the center of the pad using maneuvering thrusters.

Once you bring the ship directly over the center, the indicator on the external view will light up as you are aligned. Here you simply drop down and at the last bit you will get pulled in and land. Hope this helps.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I mod all of my ships with Grade 5 FSD's, and then a few ships with lightweight mods and such to increase their range even further, and then a couple with dirty drives for speed, but that's as far as I'll go with the engineers. I've not modded one weapon or anything else, other than to level engineers up if I had to.

Someday I'd like to level all of the engineers up to level 5, and I'd like to mod the shit ouf of my FDL to turn it into a Bulldozer of Death, but no time soon.

I took two engineers to level 5 and a bunch to level 4 and level 3 in reputation but I only ever bothered grinding out the mats for G4 and G3 upgrades, once I looked at what it took for G5s and then realized I might not even get what I want I just said "nah i'm good".

Unlocking the guy who did particle accelerator upgrades just turned me off of the whole system, I spent 4-5 hours farming reputation to unlock a system pass so I could deliver some items which would unlock the actual grind I needed to do to be able to get my mods but only to realize I didn't have the materials so I spent 1hr flying to a remote region of space to get the thing to do the mod I actually wanted holy shitttt

Burny

Combat training is getting on my nerves, can't seem to loop or turn around effectively enough

Do you keep the throttle in the blue zone when turning? If it's anywhere else, the ship will be a lot less responsive to manoever. On top of that, sometimes adding vertical thrust to the turn helps a bit. Then there's the possibility of turning off flight assist temporarily.

Yeah, landing is one of the simplest and satisfying experiences in the game, in a weird way. It's one of those things you pat yourself on the back of every time you land smoothly, even as an experienced player.

You'll get the hang of it. You're not alone--there are many new player horror stories regarding landing. It's sort of a rite of passage. Be glad you can't boost when your landing gear is down :D

Quick question: does the ps4 Version include the horizons dlc and, if not: will it get the dlc?

The Deluxe Edition and Retail Edition does include the Horizon dlc.

I managed to make my way from my starting location Asellus Prime to Manama in a Hauler. Trying to get rank 4 to get access to Sol for the Trophy before I move on. Do I need pledge my allegiance to the Earth President to rank up in Federation, or can I just complete missions as a freelancer?

Anyway, I watched a video, read some internet, slowed down my ship a bit, used thrusters down and... I did it! I reckon I will be able to do it again. But what makes it more difficult is that if you don't do it quite right there seem to be some anti-magnetic field that flings your ship away into the sides of the space station. So not beginner friendly at all.

It's good that you mention you have to learn to fly because it's like a (space) flight simulator and that necessitates a learning curve. I will go back and complete my training and then start the game proper and buy a docking computer!

I skipped the tutorial because I've played a lot on PC, so I don't know what the game actually tells you, but some basics for docking:

Make sure your landing gear is deployed (Hold Circle, press down on Dpad)
Make sure you're facing the right way (Just straight ahead in the big stations. In the smaller ones you generally want to face what looks like the radio tower)
Fly slow until you're closeish to the landing spot. Your middle screen should change to an image of your ship with the landing circle in the center.
Switch to alternate flight controls (Press in the Left Stick). This gives you left and right strafing thrusters on the right stick, in addition to vertical by pushing it up and down. Makes it very easy to hit the landing spot as long as you're facing the right way.
Touch down gently using the right stick. When you're done switch back to normal flight.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I'm considering double dipping and making the PS4 the main platform for the game, because I had some controller problems on PC (and haven't played there in ages) and starting in a fresh environment sounds like more fun than rejoining the old PC community.

That said, I'm a bit worried that the console version will be delayed update-wise, especially when it comes to small bug fixes.

Johnjamin

Neo Member
I'm considering double dipping and making the PS4 the main platform for the game, because I had some controller problems on PC (and haven't played there in ages) and starting in a fresh environment sounds like more fun than rejoining the old PC community.

That said, I'm a bit worried that the console version will be delayed update-wise, especially when it comes to small bug fixes.

There's update parity across all platforms from here on out

Top Bottom